• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY] aCWM 6.x - N5100 / N5110 / N5120 - Sr#1

Search This thread

emwno

Aug 30, 2011
Islamabad
Hey, I bring to you the first Clockworkmod Recovery or commonly known as CWM for your N5100 and N5110. Giving your device the ability to flash your favourite custom ROMs, Kernels, Mods. *Now known as Advanced CWM or aCWM. Thankyou to 'xperiacle' and 'GSLEON3' for giving me the stock recoveries and kernels for N5100/10, so I could start off with my work.

Works perfectly now. OP will only be updated with stable releases, everything else will be floating around the thread.
I have provided the stock recovery if you encounter any issues, you can always flash back.

Featues:
  • Most things you would expect from stock CWM
  • EFS backup / restore
  • Removed option to: report error / show log / testkeys
  • More to come...

Downloads:
Use this if you are having problems with your SDCard. (Mount / Backup / Restore)
  • N5100 / N5110
Stable Release #1: ODIN | ZIP
Stock Recovery: http://d-h.st/tHx

• N5120
Stable Release #1: ODIN
Stock Recovery: http://d-h.st/51H

Changelog:
Code:
[I][U]Stable Release #1[/U][/I]
Added reboot menu (rom, download, recovery)
Advanced CWM = aCWM

Code:
[I][U]Experimental #6[/U][/I]
Working EFS backup / restore under 'advanced' tab
Removed keytest / report error / show log options
Custom recovery, no more to be called 'stock' CWM, more device specific features to be added
N5120 support
Fix permissions now directed to /sdcard/.android_secure
Cleaned up some code for flashing zips

[I][U]Experimental #5[/U][/I]
[COLOR="Red"]REMOVED DUE TO ISSUES[/COLOR]
Touch recovery (reimplemented)
Universal for 5100 / 5110
Fixed up some mount lengths
Fixed up init.rc

[I][U]Experimental #4[/U][/I]
Display issues fixed

[I][U]Experimental #3[/U][/I]
Built again with fresh tree - n5110
(info: skipped for n5100)

[I][U]Experimental #2[/U][/I]
Touch Input excluded (temp)
kernel built from source with dancing cwm patch

[I][U]Experimental #1[/U][/I]
Public release

Last edited:

rfb813

May 15, 2012
Winter Garden, FL
Hey, I bring to you, Clockworkmod Recovery or commonly known as CWM for your n5100. Giving your device the ability to flash your favourite custom ROMs, Kernels, Mods in the future. Thankyou to 'xperiacle' for giving me the stock recovery and boot.img. Flash with Odin

This has not been tested by me and is still experimental. I hold no responsibility for any
problems caused. YOU! Are trying this at your own risk. Don't blame me that I wasted your $$$.

Put a scare in you didn't I?
I have provided the stock recovery if you encounter any issues, you can always flash back.

Downloads:
CWM Recovery: http://d-h.st/rDv

Changelog:
Code:
[I][U]Release #1[/U][/I]
Public release

Thanks now we need one for the N5110.

xbill9

Feb 2, 2011
I installed the image with ADB.

put the recovery image on the sdcard mount or ext sdcard mount
ADB to the note 8.0
su to root
go to your image directory
dd if=xxx.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6
switch back to the note and reboot directly to recovery (i used goomanager)

it does boot the first time - but it is jittery and in landscape mode.

after the first system boot- the device wipes it and goes back to stock recovery.

I have seen this with other stock android devices- sometimes there
is a script that gets triggered on boot to remove any custom recoveries.

I did clear the recovery check from CWM - but it was hard to see because of the
landscape mode and the screen jumping around.

It looks like the full backup is working- now I wonder what ROM will be close enough
to the 8.0 to try flashing.

I added the zip to the pda area and flash Odin v3.07

Reactions: emwno

rfb813

May 15, 2012
Winter Garden, FL
I flash the file 2 times and it said pass but when reboot to recovery is stock so I don't know what went wrong

Found this Q&A in the Note 10.1 rooting guide in RootGalaxyNote.com:

Q: I don’t see ClockworkMod Recovery when I enter recovery, I see stock Android recovery.
A: With newer software updates, you may be encountering this error because it will overwrite ClockworkMod Recovery upon reboot. To get around this, simply boot into ClockworkMod Recovery right after flashing in ODIN. You can set auto-reboot off in ODIN then when done, just hold down Power and Volume Down straight to bootloader menu.

This may have been the problem.

jntdroid

Feb 16, 2011
DFW, TX
To get it to stop resetting to stock recovery every time you reboot, under /system, there is a file named "recovery-from-boot.p". Rename it to .bak or whatever. That file is typically the culprit for custom recoveries not 'sticking'.

Also, we don't have a factory image yet, do we? I'm hesitant to mess too much with this stuff until we have a way to Odin ourselves out of a softbrick.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Also, to the OP, thanks for doing this. I'm pretty familiar with adb if you'd like to do TWRP. Would love to have it instead of CWM! :)

Reactions: watzone69

emwno

Aug 30, 2011
Islamabad
Q: I don’t see ClockworkMod Recovery when I enter recovery, I see stock Android recovery.
A: With newer software updates, you may be encountering this error because it will overwrite ClockworkMod Recovery upon reboot. To get around this, simply boot into ClockworkMod Recovery right after flashing in ODIN. You can set auto-reboot off in ODIN then when done, just hold down Power and Volume Down straight to bootloader menu.
Those having issues, try that ^^^

To get it to stop resetting to stock recovery every time you reboot, under /system, there is a file named "recovery-from-boot.p". Rename it to .bak or whatever. That file is typically the culprit for custom recoveries not 'sticking'.
Also, to the OP, thanks for doing this. I'm pretty familiar with adb if you'd like to do TWRP. Would love to have it instead of CWM! :)
Yeah, But i'd like to keep, just incase something goes insanely wrong. The stock recovery.img is provided, you can always flash back it something goes wrong. And i am readying up TWRP, may need you to pull some logs if it doesnt boot

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk

Also, we don't have a factory image yet, do we? I'm hesitant to mess too much with this stuff until we have a way to Odin ourselves out of a softbrick.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=GT-N5100

http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=GT-N5110

I will be releasing a full Note 8.0 Toolkit today or tomorrow with support to rename the stock recovery restore files so that custom recovery isnt overwritten after flashing. If anyone wants to help test please email me at [email protected]

Mark.

xbill9

Feb 2, 2011
Attached is a tar of recovery.log pulled with ADB while booted to CWM.

The display goes to landscape on boot - and the fonts seem extra large.

When the vol up/down navigates the screen jumps and you can't see the
highlighted option.

It is usable with trial and error if you know the order of the CWM menus and
use the vol up/down and power to navigate.

@xbill9
Code:
adb pull /tmp/recovery.log
for fixes

Attachments

• recovery.log.tar
    1.5 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: ktmman and emwno

emwno

Aug 30, 2011
Islamabad
Only thing I can judge by that are the missing mount types for the recovery.fstab. Ill fix that now. But someone, try keeping the device physically portrait and see if cwm works properly then, if not then physically landscape.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S try using touch input, its a touch recovery, or so I built it
^thats why fonts are large
^thats why there are no indicators

xbill9

Feb 2, 2011
I tried changing orientation before boot - it always goes to landscape.

I attached 2 images - one is the display after the first CWM boot.
The second is after pressing Vol Up to navigate to the 2nd menu option.

I have seen jumpy CWM presentation like this on some smaller screens like the
Sony Xperia 2011/2012 phones.

Only thing I can judge by that are the missing mount types for the recovery.fstab. Ill fix that now. But someone, try keeping the device physically portrait and see if cwm works properly then, if not then physically landscape.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S try using touch input, its a touch recovery, or so I built it
^thats why fonts are large
^thats why there are no indicators

Attachments

• IMG_20130422_081309.jpg
    IMG_20130422_081309.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_20130422_081019.jpg
    IMG_20130422_081019.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 658

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, I bring to you the first Clockworkmod Recovery or commonly known as CWM for your N5100 and N5110. Giving your device the ability to flash your favourite custom ROMs, Kernels, Mods. *Now known as Advanced CWM or aCWM. Thankyou to 'xperiacle' and 'GSLEON3' for giving me the stock recoveries and kernels for N5100/10, so I could start off with my work.

Works perfectly now. OP will only be updated with stable releases, everything else will be floating around the thread.

Featues:
    • Most things you would expect from stock CWM
    • EFS backup / restore
    • Removed option to: report error / show log / testkeys
    • More to come...

Downloads:
    Use this if you are having problems with your SDCard. (Mount / Backup / Restore)
    • N5100 / N5110
    Stable Release #1: ODIN | ZIP

• N5120
    Stable Release #1: ODIN
    Stock Recovery: http://d-h.st/51H

Changelog:
    Code:
    [I][U]Stable Release #1[/U][/I]
    Added reboot menu (rom, download, recovery)
    Advanced CWM = aCWM

Code:
    [I][U]Experimental #6[/U][/I]
    Custom recovery, no more to be called 'stock' CWM, more device specific features to be added
    N5120 support

[I][U]Experimental #5[/U][/I]
    [COLOR="Red"]REMOVED DUE TO ISSUES[/COLOR]
    Touch recovery (reimplemented)
    Universal for 5100 / 5110
    Fixed up some mount lengths
    Fixed up init.rc

[I][U]Experimental #4[/U][/I]
    Display issues fixed

[I][U]Experimental #3[/U][/I]
    Built again with fresh tree - n5110
    (info: skipped for n5100)

[I][U]Experimental #2[/U][/I]
    Touch Input excluded (temp)
    kernel built from source with dancing cwm patch

[I][U]Experimental #1[/U][/I]
    Public release

http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=GT-N5100

http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=GT-N5110

I will be releasing a full Note 8.0 Toolkit today or tomorrow with support to rename the stock recovery restore files so that custom recovery isnt overwritten after flashing. If anyone wants to help test please email me at [email protected]

Mark.
    First Stable Release (#1), for N5100 and N5110.
    It should be mmcblk0p3 not ...03

Then it works and creates the file.
    Thanks for that, I should've rechecked the script. Anyways, Ex#6 coming up for all variants. Final changelog:

Ex #6
    Custom recovery, no more to be called 'stock' CWM
    N5120 support (NOTE: it will not be getting all of these changes as of yet)
    Formatted my 64gb sdcard using the following method. No problems now with CWM recognizing the card.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2041679