• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Development [RECOVERY] [ALPHA] TeamWin Recovery Project

Search This thread

RaptorITA

Feb 27, 2015
Hi all,

what is the correct procedure to restore the LineageOS Recovery?

Should i just fastboot the recovery .img? (fastboot flash boot <recovery_filename>.img)

With TWRP i had problem with the LineageOS OTA update.

Weeks ago I installed lineage-18.1-20210807 version following the official guide. After reboot i installed Nebrassy's latest TWRP version and Magisk v23.0 from TWRP (renamed the .apk to .zip and flashed it).

Everything worked fine until when I tried to update LOS to version lineage-18.1-20210828, using the OTA updater, following these steps:

1) Downloaded the update
2) Installed the update (not rebooted)
3) Installed the magisk module "TWRP A/B Retention Script" (using magisk manager)
4) Installed magisk root on the inactive slot (using magisk manager)
5) Rebooted

During the reboot the phone was stuck in a bootloop on the POCO logo. I tried to boot into recovery but the POCO logo kept popping out, only boot in fastboot worked. In fastboot i changed the active partion back to A (the one active before the OTA) and fortunately the phone booted and is working fine with the old version lineage-18.1-20210807.

What did i do wrong?

On the Lineage OS thread a user suggested that the OTA works well only with Lineage OS Recovery, and that with TWRP i need to update the system manually with it; does anyone here successfully use TWRP with Lineage OS OTA updater?

Thanks in advance

raj_ch2002

Dec 31, 2011
Bangalore
Hi, i'm on the pixel experience with latest twrp but when i try to save the custom hosts file into /system_root/system/etc folder i get the error 1

similarly if i try to delete any system file apks it gives same error 1 ! any solution!

gogocar62

Aug 30, 2017
Hi, i'm on the pixel experience with latest twrp but when i try to save the custom hosts file into /system_root/system/etc folder i get the error 1

similarly if i try to delete any system file apks it gives same error 1 ! any solution!
This can no longer be done because the phone has dynamic partitions.
The only way to intervene in the system is the Magisk module.

lovesetcpu

Feb 5, 2011
Flashed latest LineageOS Recovery + Lineage.

=> Wasnt able to flash open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210902.zip cus insufficient space "bug"

Flashed TWRP-3.5.1

=> Was able to flash open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210902.zip
=> Flashed Magisk-23 resulted in system beeing unbootable and recovery bootloop

So... how would be the proper way of installing Magisk? Cus I need Magisk Hide for my banking app which refuses to run on LOS.

DaRdamnDoG

May 23, 2017
Flashed latest LineageOS Recovery + Lineage.

=> Wasnt able to flash open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210902.zip cus insufficient space "bug"

Flashed TWRP-3.5.1

=> Was able to flash open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210902.zip
=> Flashed Magisk-23 resulted in system beeing unbootable and recovery bootloop

So... how would be the proper way of installing Magisk? Cus I need Magisk Hide for my banking app which refuses to run on LOS.

Magisk coder said he prefer user to flash Magisk from Magisk app than Recovery.

herz.AG

Dec 11, 2017
Hi there at XDA,

I have a few questions about my new Poco F3, which of course revolve around TWRP, flashing and rooting. I've already read a few things here on XDA, www and other boards, but I didnt found anything that made things clear nor helped me so I need some help now - please! :)

First some information about the current status:
Driver, adb + fastboot: up-to-date (v31.0.3), the device is properly addressed
PC: Win10 20H2
PocoF3: had MIUI 12.5.3 after the update, before I decided to unlock and root, bootlock is already off
What I want on the phone is:
TWRP: 3.5.2_11 Nebrassy, CustomROM: HavocOS 4.8 (20210805) plus the GApps, Magisk: 22.1 / 23

What I did:
boot-> fastboot: flash boot twrp.img............................................... works ok
boot-> recovery: I'm into twrp .......................................................... works ok
recovery twrp: advanced, install recovery_ramdisk, twrp.img....... works ok
boot-> recovery: twrp......................................................................... works ok
boot-> fastboot: twrp......................................................................... works ok

Up to now everything is fine and if I did understand things right TWRP should be permanently flashed, right?

Question 1: When flashing TWRP I always get the error E: Error getting bootctrl module twice. Why does it appear and what does it mean?
Question 2: What is the difference between the menu items Install Recovery Ramdisk and Flash current TWRP?

What I was able to infer from a post here that this A / B-Slot thing is something like a "dual BIOS", if something goes wrong in one slot, the previous or other slot (hopefully) still works. With the phone, however, it is probably not used that way, that's why
Question 3: If so, when and why are the active slots changed and how can I access them? Where is the danger if I actively change it myself?
(When I flash TWRP + OS in the inactive slot (e.g. A), A is activated during reboot and the next flash process happens in B because it is inactive now (see experiment 9: flashing OS, after reboot flashing GApps in recovery)
Question 4: Can someone please explain the partitions created in the Poco (System, system_ext, Product, Vendor, ODM, Metadata, Data, Cust, Firmware, Persist)? What they are here for and which data they contain.
Well there is a post but in fact it does not make things clear enough.

Question 5: I still know the important EFS partition from my "bacon". Does the Poco also have one and can it be backuped with twrp?

Up to this point I could still understand most of the things happend. After Stock ROM I looked at various Custom ROMs and proceeded as follows:
went into fastboot: flash twrp; went into recovery: wipe data, format data, flash rom, reboot system
It didn't bother me, but I was always amazed that after flashing the ROM, TWRP was always replaced by some recovery or fastboot menu from the ROM.
Question 6: If the above procedure should install TWRP permanently, why is it always overwritten?
Question 7: If I select Automatically reflash TWRP after flashing a ROM in TWRP - Settings, the device regularly gets stuck in the OS boot process (boot animation).

Now that I would like to keep HavocOS (and the associated GApps) and also install Magisk, the problems start with me:

If I mount all partitions, there are fewer errors when flashing the ROM (otherwise only 4 (?) incorrect / missing mount points are displayed, but mounting nearly all - except firmware, usb - is fine).

Experiment 1: TWRP flashed, HavocOS flashed, reboot into system:...............................working
Experiment 2: TWRP, Havoc + GApps in one go, reboot: endless bootanimation loop
Experiment 3: TWRP, Havoc flash, GApps flash, reboot: endless bootanimation loop
Experiment 4: TWRP, Havoc, Magisk zip, error-free, reboot: reboot loop (restart, Poco logo, vibra, restart, Poco logo, vibra, .... )
Magisk should be injected into a recovery image - AHA! - so:
Experiment 5: TWRP, Havoc flash, reboot system, install Magisk app, Magisk patches Nebrassy's TWRP -> twrp_patched
Experiment 6: twrp_patched, Havoc flash, reboot: reboot loop
Experiment 7: twrp_patched, ramdisk twrp_patched, reboot recovery: no visible change
Experiment 8: Havoc flash, reboot: reboot loop
Because nothing works now, so again step-by-step
Experiment 9: TWRP, Havoc flash, reboot recovery, GApps flash, reboot: endless bootanimation loop

Then I noticed that the GApps are installed in the other slot (see above). If this slot is activated now, the phone tries to start the GApps ..., or what?

I don't know what to do next and I hope someone can lighten the darkness!

Question 8: Why does TWRP not persist?
Question 9: What am I doing wrong when flashing multiple ZIPs?
Question 10: What am I doing wrong when flashing / patching Magisk?
Question 11: What about OTA updates and / or dirty flash?
Question 12: And how do the Magisk / EdXposed modules get flashed without TWRP or the ROM saying goodbye?

Besides this I have two more questions apart from the flash orgy:
Question 13: What is the EDL mode for Qualcomm chips and how can it be used? Does it make sense anyhow?
Question 14: TWRP does not save the settings. Is this due to software problems and / or that the device has no access to certain mounts/directories?

Thank you for persevering in reading and also for helpful thoughts and solutions.

Best regards,
herz.AG

bmwbasti

Apr 29, 2011
No confrontation but just a question: is there still development in here?
I haven't seen a new version for ages and reports are getting more that there is no way of restoring a backup (what makes them obsolet in my mind).

TeckySairam

Aug 26, 2021

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
Onscreen keyboard
Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

Hello, this is an alpha build of TWRP, for Poco F3/Mi 11X/Redmi K40

touch and adb work
flashing works
USB OTG works
Decryption is working

Installation:
1. fastboot boot twrp.img
2. go to Advanced > Flash Current TWRP
3. after that is done, if you were using a custom kernel, reflash it now
4. if you were using magisk, reflash it now

if Flash Current TWRP fails, go to Backup > Refresh Sizes and try Flash Current TWRP again

Updating to a newer build:
1. download new build to internal storage
2. go to Advanced > Install Recovery Ramdisk
3. select the new image
4. after that is done, if you were using a custom kernel, reflash it now
5. if you were using magisk, reflash it now

Send me a beer: Crypto(Preferred) | PayPal

Trees:
https://github.com/nebrassy/device_xiaomi_alioth-TWRP
https://github.com/nebrassy/device_xiaomi_sm8250-common-TWRP

Telegram group: https://t.me/NSSFB

Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=325130
Will this work for poco f3 gt??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    great, that's what we've been waiting for (y)

---
    layout: device
    title: "Xiaomi Poco F3"
    codename: alioth
    oem: Xiaomi
    downloadfolder: alioth
    supportstatus: Current
    maintainer: Nebrassy
    devicetree: "https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_xiaomi_alioth"
    xdathread: "https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/recovery-alpha-teamwin-recovery-project.4272625/"
    ---

{% include disclaimer.html %}

{% include supportstatus.html %}

{% include xiaomiunlock.html %}

{% include dynamicpartitions.html %}

{% include download.html %}

{% include fastbootabinstall.html %}
    Hi there at XDA,

I have a few questions about my new Poco F3, which of course revolve around TWRP, flashing and rooting. I've already read a few things here on XDA, www and other boards, but I didnt found anything that made things clear nor helped me so I need some help now - please! :)

First some information about the current status:
    Driver, adb + fastboot: up-to-date (v31.0.3), the device is properly addressed
    PC: Win10 20H2
    PocoF3: had MIUI 12.5.3 after the update, before I decided to unlock and root, bootlock is already off
    What I want on the phone is:
    TWRP: 3.5.2_11 Nebrassy, CustomROM: HavocOS 4.8 (20210805) plus the GApps, Magisk: 22.1 / 23

What I did:
    boot-> fastboot: flash boot twrp.img............................................... works ok
    boot-> recovery: I'm into twrp .......................................................... works ok
    recovery twrp: advanced, install recovery_ramdisk, twrp.img....... works ok
    boot-> recovery: twrp......................................................................... works ok
    boot-> fastboot: twrp......................................................................... works ok

Up to now everything is fine and if I did understand things right TWRP should be permanently flashed, right?

Question 1: When flashing TWRP I always get the error E: Error getting bootctrl module twice. Why does it appear and what does it mean?
    Question 2: What is the difference between the menu items Install Recovery Ramdisk and Flash current TWRP?

What I was able to infer from a post here that this A / B-Slot thing is something like a "dual BIOS", if something goes wrong in one slot, the previous or other slot (hopefully) still works. With the phone, however, it is probably not used that way, that's why
    Question 3: If so, when and why are the active slots changed and how can I access them? Where is the danger if I actively change it myself?
    (When I flash TWRP + OS in the inactive slot (e.g. A), A is activated during reboot and the next flash process happens in B because it is inactive now (see experiment 9: flashing OS, after reboot flashing GApps in recovery)
    Question 4: Can someone please explain the partitions created in the Poco (System, system_ext, Product, Vendor, ODM, Metadata, Data, Cust, Firmware, Persist)? What they are here for and which data they contain.
    Well there is a post but in fact it does not make things clear enough.

Question 5: I still know the important EFS partition from my "bacon". Does the Poco also have one and can it be backuped with twrp?

Up to this point I could still understand most of the things happend. After Stock ROM I looked at various Custom ROMs and proceeded as follows:
    went into fastboot: flash twrp; went into recovery: wipe data, format data, flash rom, reboot system
    It didn't bother me, but I was always amazed that after flashing the ROM, TWRP was always replaced by some recovery or fastboot menu from the ROM.
    Question 6: If the above procedure should install TWRP permanently, why is it always overwritten?
    Question 7: If I select Automatically reflash TWRP after flashing a ROM in TWRP - Settings, the device regularly gets stuck in the OS boot process (boot animation).

Now that I would like to keep HavocOS (and the associated GApps) and also install Magisk, the problems start with me:

If I mount all partitions, there are fewer errors when flashing the ROM (otherwise only 4 (?) incorrect / missing mount points are displayed, but mounting nearly all - except firmware, usb - is fine).

Experiment 1: TWRP flashed, HavocOS flashed, reboot into system:...............................working
    Experiment 2: TWRP, Havoc + GApps in one go, reboot: endless bootanimation loop
    Experiment 3: TWRP, Havoc flash, GApps flash, reboot: endless bootanimation loop
    Experiment 4: TWRP, Havoc, Magisk zip, error-free, reboot: reboot loop (restart, Poco logo, vibra, restart, Poco logo, vibra, .... )
    Magisk should be injected into a recovery image - AHA! - so:
    Experiment 5: TWRP, Havoc flash, reboot system, install Magisk app, Magisk patches Nebrassy's TWRP -> twrp_patched
    Experiment 6: twrp_patched, Havoc flash, reboot: reboot loop
    Experiment 7: twrp_patched, ramdisk twrp_patched, reboot recovery: no visible change
    Experiment 8: Havoc flash, reboot: reboot loop
    Because nothing works now, so again step-by-step
    Experiment 9: TWRP, Havoc flash, reboot recovery, GApps flash, reboot: endless bootanimation loop

Then I noticed that the GApps are installed in the other slot (see above). If this slot is activated now, the phone tries to start the GApps ..., or what?

I don't know what to do next and I hope someone can lighten the darkness!

Question 8: Why does TWRP not persist?
    Question 9: What am I doing wrong when flashing multiple ZIPs?
    Question 10: What am I doing wrong when flashing / patching Magisk?
    Question 11: What about OTA updates and / or dirty flash?
    Question 12: And how do the Magisk / EdXposed modules get flashed without TWRP or the ROM saying goodbye?

Besides this I have two more questions apart from the flash orgy:
    Question 13: What is the EDL mode for Qualcomm chips and how can it be used? Does it make sense anyhow?
    Question 14: TWRP does not save the settings. Is this due to software problems and / or that the device has no access to certain mounts/directories?

Thank you for persevering in reading and also for helpful thoughts and solutions.

Best regards,
    herz.AG

I'll answer some of these when I get home, but welcome to the community, the most basic of all is that our phone doesn't have a dedicated Recovery partition

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
    XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
    Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
    Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
    Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
    Onscreen keyboard
    Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

Hello, this is an alpha build of TWRP, for Poco F3/Mi 11X/Redmi K40

touch and adb work
    flashing works
    USB OTG works
    Decryption is working

Installation:
    1. fastboot boot twrp.img
    2. go to Advanced > Flash Current TWRP
    3. after that is done, if you were using a custom kernel, reflash it now
    4. if you were using magisk, reflash it now

if Flash Current TWRP fails, go to Backup > Refresh Sizes and try Flash Current TWRP again

Updating to a newer build:
    1. download new build to internal storage
    2. go to Advanced > Install Recovery Ramdisk
    3. select the new image
    4. after that is done, if you were using a custom kernel, reflash it now
    5. if you were using magisk, reflash it now

Send me a beer: Crypto(Preferred) | PayPal

Trees:
    https://github.com/nebrassy/device_xiaomi_alioth-TWRP
    https://github.com/nebrassy/device_xiaomi_sm8250-common-TWRP

Telegram group: https://t.me/NSSFB

Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=325130
    New build is up

fixed usb config (fastbootd and adb sideload now work)
    fixed vibration
    removed partitions shown twice in menus
    data can now be safely formatted after flashing
    new flashing method, Advanced > Flash Current TWRP
    added toggle in settings to automatically flash TWRP after flashing a ROM, it will only be flashed after a payload.bin rom (custom roms only not MIUI ports)
    further fixes for flashing roms
    new build is up
    -fixed spunvm spam in log
    -fixed flashing payload roms, stock and custom AOSP roms should now flash correctly
    @Nebrassy Nice work - tested on my crDroid working-build and all ok 👍