• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Recovery and Root for MM .575/.291 LB/UB

Search This thread

KoolKool993

Feb 25, 2020
hi @shoey63, can you made repack the twrp recovery version 3.3, cause the 3.0 is old and unable to flash Carbon, Lineagos?
your repack seem only way to work on my device, it really updated the my previous twrp 2.8

flashing new twrp zip (made by other pp) seem not do move anything :confused:

hi @shoey63, can you made repack the twrp recovery version 3.3, cause the 3.0 is old and unable to flash Carbon, Lineagos?
your repack seem only way to work on my device, it really updated the my previous twrp 2.8

flashing new twrp zip (made by other pp) seem not do move anything :confused:

You need to unlock your bootloader for those roms.
Then just flash recommended twrp to recovery partition and follow their instructions.
Don't forget to make a backup of the TA partition prior to unlocking the bootloader.

Sent from my Xperia Z5 Compact using XDA Labs

KoolKool993

Feb 25, 2020
You need to unlock your bootloader for those roms.
Then just flash recommended twrp to recovery partition and follow their instructions.

Don't forget to make a backup of the TA partition prior to unlocking the bootloader.

i already unlocked bootloader before doing your kernel method, UB is so much easier nowadays, no hurt to do it first before anything :fingers-crossed:

so the my only concern is updating the twrp
i tried flashing both recovery/FOTA partition, but the 3.0 is still there

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a port of the original tool by @russel5 from the Z3C forums
    I have added support for Z3 D6603, D6653, D6633, D6646 and D6643.

PROCEDURE

* Update to .291 as usual via OTA from Sony or flashing directly.
    * Make sure you have ADB set up correctly.
    * Use FlashTool to flash the attached .575_kernel.zip for your device before running the recovery tool. You need to re-name the zip and change the .zip extension to .ftf before flashing it! (make sure windows is configured to show file extensions)
    * Reboot and check the build date of the kernel. If it is April, you are on 575 kernel and good to go. If June, you are still on 291 kernel and the tool wont work due to the exploit being patched.

** The build number of the rom will show 291, regardless of which kernel is flashed **

* download Recovery_for_MM575-291v5.zip and extract it.
    * enable USB-debugging on your phone and plug phone to computer via USB
    * Make sure you have closed Flashtool and anything else that uses adb, then run install.bat
    * after running the tool you should boot straight into recovery. Then flash https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4164510&d=1496008012to obtain SuperSU root. Put it on the device or external sd card if device is encrypted.
    * re-flash the .291 KERNEL back again with Flashtool using the attached 291_kernel.zip for your device. Again, change/re-name the .zip extension to .ftf first! (you won't lose root or recovery)

ADDITIONAL NOTES

If on Windows, in FolderSettings->Show file extensions to be able to rename from ZIP to FTF.
    - Assuming it has booted to TWRP after running the tool, to re-enter it, press volume down during re-boot when you see the green LED and feel a vibration. You have 2 seconds to do it. No need to smash volume down repeatedly.
    - Reboot apps DO NOT WORK on Sony MM.
    - Install a new busybox through Play store at your own risk. Some will break recovery, some won't.
    - Some apps install their own busybox. This can also break recovery. If this happens, try running the tool again.

@zxz0O0 for iovyroot
    @Wolfbreak for idea with recroot

Special credits to @russel5 for the tool, @serajr for the recovery scripts, and @gustavo_v for showing how to add devices.
    Edit: the D6603-6653 .291 zip has a typo. It is actually 23.5.A.1.291, not 23.5.A.0.291

View attachment Recovery_for_MM575-291v5.zip

View attachment D6603-6653_23.5.A.0.575_kernel.zip

View attachment D6603-6653_23.5.A.0.291_kernel.zip

View attachment D6633_23.5.A.1.291-kernel.zip

View attachment D6633_23.5.A.0.575-kernel.zip
    I have updated the tool again, it now includes support for :-
    - Z3 D6603, D6653, D6633, D6646 and D6643. The .575 kernel.sin from the OP will work on these devices for rooting purposes. The included TWRP will work for all Z3 variants.
    - The following devices have been added to the iovyroot binary. (No TWRP or kernel.sin support in this thread - Ask your Dev's/Advanced users to help out)
    - Z3C D5803 and D5833.
    - Z3 TAB Compact SGP621
    - Z2 D6502 and D6503
    - Z2 TAB SGP521 and SGP551

Note If you don't have an adb environment set up on your Windows distro, Copy the adb file from ...\RecoveryTool_for_MM575-291v3\Files to C:\Windows\System32
    I tried this on fresh Windows 10 installation in VirtualBox and it worked. Don't forget to enable USB debugging and allow RSA key when prompted on the phone.
    Also if you get a "loader.sin" error when flashing a kernel ftf, restart the phone and try again. It should work after that.
    Here is the updated zip >>View attachment 3857255
    please dnt get me wrong....
    Ahh yes the old DoomLorD method.
    Rest assured 575 will boot on 291 so you can run the tool to get recovery, (and then flash the super user zip of your choice).
    Also be assured that when you re-flash 291 kernel again, you will still retain root and recovery.
    But... We have to flash supersu in recovery again?

Sent from my XT1068 using XDA-Developers mobile app
    Yup. Because it changes all the time. As soon as you run the the tool, it will boot straight into TWRP, ready for flashing the latest version.
    man, you really need to make a video tutorial of the procedure of the D6633 for dummies *ehm*. explain it like im 5 yo
    The order is this:
    * Update to .291 as usual via OTA from Sony or flashing directly.
    * Use FlashTool to flash the attached .575_kernel.zip for your device before running the recovery tool. You need to re-name the zip and change the .zip extension to .ftf before flashing it!
    * download that Recovery_for_MM575-291v5.zip from the thread and extract it
    * enable USB-debugging on your phone and plug phone to computer via USB
    * run install.bat (as Admin just to be sure)
    * after running the tool to get recovery, reboot press volume down on start until you enter TWRP, flash SuperSU 2.82 (do not get the version released by the user SU Release from 20170527 since that has the bootloop for Xperia bug!), put it on the device in or on a USB stick if device is encrypted.
    * re-flash the .291 KERNEL back again, without losing root or recovery, with Flashtool using the attached .291_kernel.zip for your device. Again, change/re-name the .zip extension to .ftf first!

This info is there but not in this order, you'll need to read more if any of these don't make sense.
    If on Windows, in FolderSettings->Show file extensions to be able to rename from ZIP to FTF.