• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[RECOVERY][Android 10/11][Stock/SODP][XZ2/C/P/3] TWRP 3.4.0-0 [UNofficial]

Should I continue this project?

• Yes, for the XZ2.

Votes: 109 37.6%
  • Yes, for the XZ2C.

Votes: 94 32.4%
  • Yes, for the XZ2P.

Votes: 27 9.3%
  • Yes, for the XZ3.

Votes: 60 20.7%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

shoey63

Recognized Contributor
Jun 5, 2012
Somewhere in Oz...
Strange twrp behavior on some devices (including mine).
Is /system mountable on yours?
It is now:cowboy:
Q comes with a read only ext4 file system to prevent /system being modified.

Sooo. . . . .

- Boot into Twrp
- Backup System Image
- Enter Wipe > Advanced Wipe & Select System > Repair or Change File System > Change File System > Select EXT4 > Swipe to Change. This will format /system to good old standard , writable EXT4 file system.
- Restore System Image
- Reboot

Next time you boot twrp you can mount (and modify) /system:highfive:

shoey63

Recognized Contributor
Jun 5, 2012
Somewhere in Oz...
Screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-04-05-08-04-59.png
    Screenshot_2020-04-05-08-04-59.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: serajr

serajr

Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer
Apr 21, 2011
São Paulo - SP
It is now:cowboy:
Q comes with a read only ext4 file system to prevent /system being modified.

Sooo. . . . .

- Boot into Twrp
- Backup System Image
- Enter Wipe > Advanced Wipe & Select System > Repair or Change File System > Change File System > Select EXT4 > Swipe to Change. This will format /system to good old standard , writable EXT4 file system.
- Restore System Image
- Reboot

Next time you boot twrp you can mount (and modify) /system:highfive:
Oh cool! :good:
Another way (advanced users) is to edit twrp.fstab and remove the ;mounttodecrypt flag from /system (and /vendor - just in case). It also works!

Reactions: shoey63

slsamg7112

Feb 2, 2013
Taichung
touch screen works on my xz3.
can't backup data partition with error 255,but i'm not using multiple user.no problem with other partitions
but after that i reboot my device and it says "cannot load android system. your data may be corrupt"
now i have to reflash my device

Beetle84

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2013
Hervey Bay
I ran the scripts/codes manually in the trwp root shell (with the no working touch screen).
Yep, running the script earlier (permissive.sh) did the trick (*.ko files in the ramdisk).
And 3 is the output of the panel_id (that's why I removed the 3 from the preptouch.sh).

Edit: I've noticed this...
The permissions of the libs copied from vendor to sbin (preptouch), as you could see here
Code:
-rw------- 1 root root 1070630 1972-01-22 17:46 clearpad_core.ko
-rw------- 1 root root  251702 1972-01-22 17:46 clearpad_i2c.ko
-rw------- 1 root root  296934 1972-01-22 17:46 clearpad_rmi_dev.ko

Patched twrp
Code:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1070902 2020-04-02 21:48 clearpad_core.ko
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  251830 2020-04-02 21:48 clearpad_i2c.ko
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  297054 2020-04-02 21:48 clearpad_rmi_dev.ko

Edit 2: chmod on copied files did the trick (preptouch.sh) - but sometimes still not working (need to boot twice, three times...):
Code:
#XZ2 "3" XZ2C "4" Clearpad
if [[ "$touch_id" == "3" ]] || [[ "$touch_id" == "4" ]]; then
    cp /v/lib/modules/clearpad_rmi_dev.ko /sbin/
    cp /v/lib/modules/clearpad_core.ko /sbin/
    cp /v/lib/modules/clearpad_i2c.ko /sbin/

[B]chmod 777 /sbin/clearpad_rmi_dev.ko
    chmod 777 /sbin/clearpad_core.ko
    chmod 777 /sbin/clearpad_i2c.ko[/B]

insmod /sbin/clearpad_rmi_dev.ko
    insmod /sbin/clearpad_core.ko
    insmod /sbin/clearpad_i2c.ko
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/input/clearpad/post_probe_start
fi
Maybe you find out a more elegant way to handle with that!

Edit 3:
I also got it permanently installed on kernel (combo keys does work, too), it's a bit tricky I gotta say, but it works.
You know, twrp's ramdisk.cpio kernel hack (old install procedure).

Any chance you could share the modified installable twrp privately please? :fingers-crossed:

uzairali98

Jan 28, 2015
karachi
Noob here...
my story -> updated my xz2 to "52.1.A.0.618_R5C" after that i unlocked the boot loader....
# i went into fastboot mode by holding vol up and inserted the cable... blue light it and i was in fastboot mode from there i (twrp stock)
"fastboot boot twrp-xz2.img" i booted into twrp now from here i flashed the pixel experience rom but after successful installation of the rom i rebooted my device but it now stuck at sony logo i tried this many times... even flashed the stock rom using flashtool and retried everything but no luck please can anyone tell me what im doing wrong....
i came from z2 force (motorola) which was quite easy to handle but cant handle this xz2
thankyou and stay safe.......
cheers

Beetle84

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2013
Hervey Bay
Noob here...
my story -> updated my xz2 to "52.1.A.0.618_R5C" after that i unlocked the boot loader....
# i went into fastboot mode by holding vol up and inserted the cable... blue light it and i was in fastboot mode from there i (twrp stock)
"fastboot boot twrp-xz2.img" i booted into twrp now from here i flashed the pixel experience rom but after successful installation of the rom i rebooted my device but it now stuck at sony logo i tried this many times... even flashed the stock rom using flashtool and retried everything but no luck please can anyone tell me what im doing wrong....
i came from z2 force (motorola) which was quite easy to handle but cant handle this xz2
thankyou and stay safe.......
cheers

You need to flash sony's oem.img via fastboot. There would have been mention of this in the PE thread.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200411-144408.jpg
    Screenshot_20200411-144408.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Reactions: uzairali98

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You should flash again your boot image from your custom rom, iif you tried the bootloop fix without actually having a bootloop.
    Or maybe installing magisk in twrp may help.
    check check and check!
    i forgot that i could restart into bootloader through key combination
    did that, did a rerun of al the needed to be done item, installed lineage and am up and running

thank you for you patience! :*
    The Sony Open Devices Project is always happy about volunteers (coding, testing, etc) :)
    Also mainlining your favorite snapdragon powered xperia device into the mainline kernel is possible and we will be glad to help you!

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

FAQ:
    • Just wiping your phone in TWRP lead into an encrypted & not readable userdata in the stock system.
      You need to open advanced wiping and check the entries data and internal storage.
      Of course clear the dalvik, too.
    • If you backed up system and/or vendor partitions and you want to restore them, make sure that TWRP setting "Use rm -rf instead of formatting" is set!.
    • If after the usage of NewFlasher or the OTA Updater or something else, which installs stock firmware parts you get stuck into the TWRP or SONY Logo, you need again to disable the verification with the vbmeta.img file and its parameters in fastboot.
    • fastboot & adb
    • Weird problems not easily to reproduce by other users require that you make sure, that you
      • Use the newest platform tools (adb & fastboot)
      • Downloaded the newest firmware via Xperifirm from XDA and installed the newest firmware via Newflasher from XDA
    • Newflasher from XDA
    • Xperifirm from XDA
    • Removing the stock bloat apps via titanium backup may result in a boot loop. Use a file explorer to remove them, disable them or try to use my unfinished bloat removal script at github.
    • Your phone reboots into recovery, instead of system? Maybe it crashed too often due to a wrong installation or whatever?
      In TWRP:
      • Code:
        cat /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/misc
        shows you the reason.
      • TWRP -> [WIPE] -> [Advanced Wipe] -> Tick only the misc -> [Swipe to Wipe]

Known Bugs:
    • The "fastboot boot twrp.img" doesn't work, if you use the hardware buttons to open the blue fastboot bootloader mode. Only use adb, twrp or the android system to reboot into blue fastboot bootloader mode or flash the twrp.img, boot the device, reboot into bootloader and flash the original boot.img back, before booting into twrp.
      You can also "fastboot reboot bootloader" in the blue fastboot mode.
      This is a bootloader bug, maybe it gets fixed with the stock Q bootloader.
    • If "fastboot boot twrp.img" results into a blackscreen and reboot of the phone, take a look if you modified the DTBO partition.
      It requires a special TWRP for every modified kernel/dtbo until I find some way to unify the twrp kernel with the DTBO (if the bootloader supports it).

Bugtracker:

Bugreport:
    • A bugreport needs your device name, dmesg, the /tmp/recovery.log and a way to reproduce the issue.
      If possible use
      Code:
      logcat -b all
      instead of just a dmesg.
      • If ADB is not working to provide logs
        • VOLUP+POWER for 1 Seconds -> Forced crash to create a pstore
        • Boot the normal system.
        • Give me the files in
          Code:
          /sys/fs/pstore/
    • If the TWRP is stuck at the TWRP logo, the chances are high, that the decryption didn't succeed.
    • To rescue a not responding phone:
      • VOLUP+POWER for 3 Seconds -> RESTART with one Vibration.
      • VOLUP+POWER for 20 Seconds -> SHUTDOWN with 3 Vibrations.
      • VOLUP+POWER+CAMERA for 30 Seconds -> HARDWARE SHUTDOWN by discharging a capacitor.

Thank you very much for your help, code contribution & testing! (Random order):
    • @dees_troy and his team of volunteers for the TWRP code
    • @dhacke thank your for providing a download server
    • Shame on me if I forgot someone after searching through the thread and my PM's!
    • And many thanks to the few donators! :)

A telegram group for technical SODP stuff:
    https://t.me/xda_tv

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP, ROM for the Xperia XZ2

Contributors
    MartinX3, Sony
    Source Code: https://github.com/MartinX3-AndroidDevelopment

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Newest recommended
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.4.0-0
    Stable Release Date: 2020-06-13

Created 2020-03-29
    Last Updated 2020-06-20
    Download & Installation

Download:

Installation:
    1. Update to newest stock firmware before unlocking!!!
    2. Unzip the *.gz files with https://7-zip.org/ or Linux.
    3. Enter fastboot via software, not hardware buttons. See "Known Bugs".
    4. fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    5. fastboot boot twrp.img
    6. Advanced menu -> "Install recovery ramdisk" -> Choose twrp.img
    7. Reboot into installed TWRP
    8. Want Root? -> Magisk
    9. (Only if your phone doesn't boot to system anymore) Advanced menu -> "Fix recovery bootloop"
    10. (Optional; Security degradation; Only if you know what you're doing) Switch SELinux to permissive (with my permissive.zip)
    This means TWRP for 52.1.A.2.1?
    Yes
    I'm working on it this week plus a refactoring of the twrp device tree
    The refactoring for the SODP twrp is now completed.
    It'll work without a flashed ROM (vendor/system/oem partition)
    Here runs now a nice 3.4.0 TWRP (new version since today)

Now what's left
    - the STOCK TWRP touch driver refactoring, since the touch drivers aren't in the stock kernel, but external kernel modules which get started by bash scripts in stock.....
    - stock twrp without decryption to always work
    - sodp twrp without decryption to always work
    News

Reuploaded the SODP TWRP with a workaround for Android 11 compatibility.

reuploaded the stock twrp for the xz2 premium with a completely fixed touch.

reuploaded the stock twrp with a later touch kernel modules initialization.
    Hopefully fixing the randomly happening not working touch.

thanks to the fixes in 3.4.0 we got now a twrp with the following enhancements for stock and sodp:

- this twrp will work with future 10.0 roms, you don't need a new build matching the security patch level of your rom.
    - you can install this twrp again with the buildin ramdisk patcher. Please follow the installation instructions.

switch to twrp 3.4.0
    sodp twrp 2020-06 security patch level
    stock twrp 2020-05 security patch level for firmware 52.1.a.2.1

now both twrp should work without a rom being installed (empty system/vendor/oem partitions) and still be able to decrypt your userdata.
    Also the stock twrp touch should now always work instead of playing russian roulette.

reuploaded sodp twrp for 2020-05 security patch level.
    It didn't boot with the newest aosp.

sodp twrp for 2020-05 security patch level.

removed stock twrp for firmware 52.1.a.0.672 until sony releases the kernel sources of the new security patch level.
    Otherwise the keymaster won't decrypt the userdata for twrp and twrp gets stuck on the twrp logo.

stock twrp for firmware 52.1.a.0.672
    sodp twrp for 2020-04 security patch level

hopefully fixed the touch problems of the stock twrp

fixed the forced read only partition mountings of system, vendor, odm

stock twrp for firmware 52.1.a.0.618

sodp twrp for 2020-03 security patch level
    installing in ramdisk (to make it persistent) is impossible at the moment, because it is a 9.0 twrp which makes its ramdisk incompatible to the rom.

Of course monthly twrp releases in sync with the current patch level need to be released or i would need to remove the userdata decryption completely.

The stock twrp will follow, after it became ready.