• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[RECOVERY][angler] TWRP 3.1.1-0 touch recovery [2017-05-19]

HoOnZ

Sep 13, 2005
Somerset
Oops. Just realized that TWRP doesn't work with Android N Developer Preview because of encryption. Will have to load a modified kernel and try it again. :)

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Your answer is one page back. Please search.
Oh, I didn't see it. Thought it was for something else. But I'm good now. Thank you for responding. Appreciate it. :)

Reactions: galaxys

roaddaw9

Nov 9, 2010
Is twrp only working on non encryption a temp thing or what we need to deal with moving forward? I normally stay encrypted..... Android N Dev 5

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

agentfazexx

Aug 10, 2010
Maryland, USA
@Dees_Troy
I found a very annoying bug. When the screen turns itself off, I can't turn it on. When I hit the power button to wake the screen, the phone just vibrates. I end up having to force-reboot the phone and re-enter recovery and restart whatever I was doing from scratch.

tcardozo

Oct 20, 2010
Hey guys, I've done something wonky in TWRP and simply cant get a clean factory imagine installed. I feel like ive tried everything and am now coming here in an attempt to get some help.

At this point, I am stuck at the Google logo booting indefinitely. When I flash the latest TWRP recovery and go into it, im pretty locked down in what I can do. I cant get ANYTHING to mount, it vibrates but wont let me mount anything.

When I go into andvanced wipe settings in an attempt to repair partitions there is NO system or Data present and will not let me repair. When I do repair system, i get "/sbin/efsck -fp process ended with ERROR: 16 unable to repair system" Googling brings me nothing on error 16.

Despite trying to flash a multitude of different factory images through both WugFresh and Fastboot commands I havent been able to stick. I cant even wipe/factory reset in stock recovery.

I've attempted "fastboot format userdata" as well as flashing the modified boot.img to bypass encryption (not sure how this works?) But to no avail.

Could anyone help me diagnose this a bit? Help would be greatly appreciated.

elevatorguy

Jun 23, 2010
Northern VA
Have a question. I just did a backup and it ended with a backup bigger than it said it would be at the beginning. Also noticed that where it has the percentages count up it ended with 102% . Has anyone seen this before, is it something to be worried about? TIA

therock3181

Jun 25, 2010
Montreal
Hey guys, I've done something wonky in TWRP and simply cant get a clean factory imagine installed. I feel like ive tried everything and am now coming here in an attempt to get some help.

At this point, I am stuck at the Google logo booting indefinitely. When I flash the latest TWRP recovery and go into it, im pretty locked down in what I can do. I cant get ANYTHING to mount, it vibrates but wont let me mount anything.

When I go into andvanced wipe settings in an attempt to repair partitions there is NO system or Data present and will not let me repair. When I do repair system, i get "/sbin/efsck -fp process ended with ERROR: 16 unable to repair system" Googling brings me nothing on error 16.

Despite trying to flash a multitude of different factory images through both WugFresh and Fastboot commands I havent been able to stick. I cant even wipe/factory reset in stock recovery.

I've attempted "fastboot format userdata" as well as flashing the modified boot.img to bypass encryption (not sure how this works?) But to no avail.

Could anyone help me diagnose this a bit? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Start fresh with back to 100% stock.

barturblits

Jul 4, 2014
Start fresh with back to 100% stock.
He tried and it didn't work, so what then.

I think last resort is flashing back through plain direct qualcomm chipset method (last resort when you accidentally erase your bootloader). Then you need a complete image copy of another nexus6p. But there must be a easier, simpler and more comfortable way. Even in worst case, it looks like the nexus 6p is unbrickable. This due to hardwired image flashing support by the snapdragon810 chipset and the lack of the requirement of an unique device specific key. So you can just make an exact copy of another nexus6p and flash that image back. Nexus 7 2012 wasnt that lucky, it needed a key, which you should have backed up in advance with some effort.

So the question is, what did you break? Then, how can we fix it.

At the moment my best estimate would be a corrupt partition table. Things still boot somehow but nothing is mountable and flashable. Another option is to check partitions on a lower level. Fastboot can only access a couple partitions. Are there other partitions broken/corrupt?

Partition layout nexus6p from 8 months ago:
https://gist.github.com/NinjahMeh/29d7134cb634f968c9f4

simple display partitions:
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
extensive display partiton table info, partition layout:
Code:
busybox fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0
You can use my partition table info as reference (expires after a day).
http://pastebin.com/bwZ0CfMW

tcardozo

Oct 20, 2010
He tried and it didn't work, so what then.

I think last resort is flashing back through plain direct qualcomm chipset method (last resort when you accidentally erase your bootloader). Then you need a complete image copy of another nexus6p. But there must be a easier, simpler and more comfortable way. Even in worst case, it looks like the nexus 6p is unbrickable. This due to hardwired image flashing support by the snapdragon810 chipset and the lack of the requirement of an unique device specific key. So you can just make an exact copy of another nexus6p and flash that image back. Nexus 7 2012 wasnt that lucky, it needed a key, which you should have backed up in advance with some effort.

So the question is, what did you break? Then, how can we fix it.

At the moment my best estimate would be a corrupt partition table. Things still boot somehow but nothing is mountable and flashable. Another option is to check partitions on a lower level. Fastboot can only access a couple partitions. Are there other partitions broken/corrupt?

Partition layout nexus6p from 8 months ago:
https://gist.github.com/NinjahMeh/29d7134cb634f968c9f4

simple display partitions:
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
extensive display partiton table info, partition layout:
Code:
You can use my partition table info as reference (expires after a day).
http://pastebin.com/bwZ0CfMW
Thanks for the extra help. I am truly at a loss here. I was given some help in the main Troubleshooting thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/help/soft-bricked-hard-t3434065 , but it looks to be something with partition tables which I know nothing about. Any ideas of what my next steps might be? I guess I can attempt a service centre, but because I live abroad (the level of English will not be good, and the 6P is not officially manufactured in Thailand, I might run into some problem.s

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

What kind of wonky thing did you do to end up in this situation? Would greatly help in diagnosing the problem.
I might have attempted to repair/resize some of the partitions in TWRP and then maybe rebooting during inital boots after that. I was just frantically doing things in TWRP before just attempting a full flash of stock which now wont stick.

---------- Post added at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

Well.... unfortunately I got impatient and I think I have irreversibly screwed myself. I was following this guide http://android-revolution-hd.blogspot.com/2013/10/fix-data-htc-one.html and changed the mmc number to a one matching my device and now the phone wont even turn on :(

barturblits

Jul 4, 2014
Thanks for the extra help. I am truly at a loss here. I was given some help in the main Troubleshooting thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/help/soft-bricked-hard-t3434065 , but it looks to be something with partition tables which I know nothing about. Any ideas of what my next steps might be? I guess I can attempt a service centre, but because I live abroad (the level of English will not be good, and the 6P is not officially manufactured in Thailand, I might run into some problem.s
---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

I might have attempted to repair/resize some of the partitions in TWRP and then maybe rebooting during inital boots after that. I was just frantically doing things in TWRP before just attempting a full flash of stock which now wont stick.
We are gonna get through this, this sure looks fixable.
Resizing partitions points to a software problem and not a hardware.

Service center could just flash a fresh (total) image on your phone and fix a possible efs corruption. Very easy for them but are they willing. You could just bring it in and see what they do to fix it or you could call them and ask if they would fix your partition table for you, reset it to (total) factory. It's a small job and they may do it for you. If they don't fix it, you can still do it yourself or ask a technical friend. Someone with good 'dd' knowledge is advised, but you can learn it yourself.

I am not that familiar with the nexus 6p yet, but I think the most important thing to do is to recover/backup your efs partion and keep it somewhere safe. The nexus might be unbrickable but your gsm/telephony functionality can be bricked. Efs is unique device specific identifier for use by telephony/gsm. I came across some fixes for corrupt/wiped efs partitions but I have no idea how reliable these fixes are. Always make a backup of efs (first thing to do after flashing recovery or rooting). No idea how helpful service centers are with fixing efs partitions.

I guess at the moment you have access through twrp and fastboot right?
- Do you also have access through adb?
- What partitions did you resize.
- Can you access the internal storage through usb within twrp when enabling mtp?

Need that info to determine the next step.

If you have adb check the partition start and end points of the resized partitions in this list:
Code:
If you don't have adb you can do the following in twrp:
Advanced > Terminal > and type:
Code:
and write them down.

Also look for tutorials on restoring/recovering efs, fixing android partition tables and howto flash a complete factory nexus 6p image to get acquainted with the device. On my lg g2 you could flash the entire image with download mode. To translate that to nexus 6p that would be 44 partitions instead of the default 8. Never used it but it would probably also not fix incorrect partition sizes because it has to leave the efs partition intact, but that's a guess.

Edit:
What cmd did you exactly run?
Did you format partition 37?

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys

tcardozo

Oct 20, 2010
We are gonna get through this, this sure looks fixable.
Resizing partitions points to a software problem and not a hardware.

Service center could just flash a fresh (total) image on your phone and fix a possible efs corruption. Very easy for them but are they willing. You could just bring it in and see what they do to fix it or you could call them and ask if they would fix your partition table for you, reset it to (total) factory. It's a small job and they may do it for you. If they don't fix it, you can still do it yourself or ask a technical friend. Someone with good 'dd' knowledge is advised, but you can learn it yourself.

I am not that familiar with the nexus 6p yet, but I think the most important thing to do is to recover/backup your efs partion and keep it somewhere safe. The nexus might be unbrickable but your gsm/telephony functionality can be bricked. Efs is unique device specific identifier for use by telephony/gsm. I came across some fixes for corrupt/wiped efs partitions but I have no idea how reliable these fixes are. Always make a backup of efs (first thing to do after flashing recovery or rooting). No idea how helpful service centers are with fixing efs partitions.

I guess at the moment you have access through twrp and fastboot right?
- Do you also have access through adb?
- What partitions did you resize.
- Can you access the internal storage through usb within twrp when enabling mtp?

Need that info to determine the next step.

If you have adb check the partition start and end points of the resized partitions in this list:
Code:
If you don't have adb you can do the following in twrp:
Advanced > Terminal > and type:
Code:
and write them down.

Also look for tutorials on restoring/recovering efs, fixing android partition tables and howto flash a complete factory nexus 6p image to get acquainted with the device. On my lg g2 you could flash the entire image with download mode. To translate that to nexus 6p that would be 44 partitions instead of the default 8. Never used it but it would probably also not fix incorrect partition sizes because it has to leave the efs partition intact, but that's a guess.
Thanks for the guidance, but I added a reply up top there and I think I have screwed myself pretty bad now.

"Well.... unfortunately I got impatient and I think I have irreversibly screwed myself. I was following this guide http://android-revolution-hd.blogspo...a-htc-one.html and changed the mmc number to a one matching my device and now the phone wont even turn on "

Im stuck with a black screen, the phone wont turn on or anything. Connecting it to the computer is says the USB device is unrecognized.

Last edited:

barturblits

Jul 4, 2014
Thanks for the guidance, but I added a reply up top there and I think I have screwed myself pretty bad now.

"Well.... unfortunately I got impatient and I think I have irreversibly screwed myself. I was following this guide http://android-revolution-hd.blogspo...a-htc-one.html and changed the mmc number to a one matching my device and now the phone wont even turn on "

Im stuck with a black screen, the phone wont turn on or anything.

tcardozo

Oct 20, 2010
Download this mini-sdk package and extract it to c:\mini-sdk
Download this mkfs.ext4 binary and put it into c:\mini-sdk
Connect your device to the PC
Boot your device in recovery mode
Open a command prompt on the PC (cmd.exe), type and confirm each command with ENTER:
cd /d c:\mini-sdk
adb push mkfs.ext4 /tmp
adb shell
chmod 777 /tmp/mkfs.ext4
/tmp/mkfs.ext4 -b 4096 -O ^huge_file,^dir_nlink,^ext_attr,^resize_inode,^extra_isize -m 0 /dev/block/mmcblk0p37
Image of the whole command in one line to avoid mistakes:

Now your DATA partition will be formatted. It is not the same as "wiping", which is only removing all or just some files from particular partition. Formatting means that the entire partition will be re-created with the above attributes. You should see the following output:

mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
1703936 inodes, 6815744 blocks
0 blocks (0.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
208 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
8192 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (32768 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
This filesystem will be automatically checked every 25 mounts or 180 days, whichever comes first.
Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
Your DATA partition is now completely empty, so we need to copy our particular ROM zip file there:
Copy ROM zip file to c:\mini-sdk and rename it to "rom.zip"
In the same command prompt window type and confirm each command with ENTER:
mount /data
mkdir -p /data/media/0
exit
adb push rom.zip /data/media/0