Recovery bricked after Nougat update?

Search This thread

kivi90

Feb 17, 2011
Worms
First excuse me for opening an other thread like this, i think i have read all other threats regarding my problem, but none have the same situation

My Huawei M3 Wifi (BTV-W09) seems semi bricked after installation of Nougat Update.
The Installation (Force Install with dload) gave me an error and also while boot i got the error message: "Your device has failed verification and may not work properly."
I have the option to press "Powerbutton" and the device will boot up. I checked the Version and it showed android 7 + EMUI 5. The only problem was that almost every system app was missing, like keyboard, calendar etc. (playstore was there)
So i tried to do the rollback with:
HUAWEI MediaPad M3 8 Rollback Package%28BTV-W09 %2CC900B300%2C EMUI5.0%2BAndroid7.0 rollback to EMUI4.1%2BAndroid 6.0%29
The Installtion (force update) gets stuck at 5% and after like 3-5 minutes the tablet will boot up showing the same boot error that can be skipped with pressing powerbutton. I checked sytem and it still showed "android 7 + EMUI 5" but built : BTV-W09C900B300
I think this is the one i "need" to be able to install the "HUAWEI MediaPad M3 8 Firmware %28BTV-W09 %2CC100B006%2C EMUI4.1%2BAndroid 6.0%29"
Problem is regardless which "update.app" i try to force install will get stuck at 5% and give me same error. I have ADB/Fastboot installed and tried some different things like flashing/unbricking it with "Huawei Multitool" where you can extract like boot.img or recovery.img and try to flash it.
Also getting an error. I can access eRecovery witout problems, the option to fix it by itself by wifi doesn`t work. I can´t access "normal" recovery and i think there is the problem (may got bricked while flashing Nougat?) I think its recovery problem, cause when i boot it up to the "half-installed" Android and go into setting "hard-reset" option i know it would boot up intoi recovery and would erease everything, while bootup it shows error "reset failed".
In fastbootmode i see bootloader: unlocked FRM: unlocked
I tried to install TWRP recovery with adb but get error: adb remote command not allowed

I downloaded like 15 different Android Versions 6+7 Emui 4.1+5 to try with force update but none worked, may i have to flash special version of recovery first?
I just want a normal version of android 6 or 7 i dont mind but at the moment with half working 7 "without" systemapps its a hardtime.
I hope someone can help me.

This isnt my first android device and im not a total noob i unlocked bootloader and flashed kernels on many other phones but with the W-09 where i did nothing special i dont get why "recovery got broken"

Thanks in advance

nicolap8

Jul 3, 2011
You haven't read other threads too well: more times people reported that the bootloader got locked after an update still declaring itself unlocked!
Second thing you have not found: the Nougat update consist of 2 packages and the second must be installed from TWRP.

kivi90

Feb 17, 2011
Worms
You haven't read other threads too well: more times people reported that the bootloader got locked after an update still declaring itself unlocked!
Second thing you have not found: the Nougat update consist of 2 packages and the second must be installed from TWRP.

thanks for your anwser, i read that so i also tried unlocking it "again" and it quotet it is also unlocked in adb. I also know that there are 2 packages. That you need TWRP i didnt know thanks so i am a bit smater now. I think i ll try "relock" and unlock it again might be the right way, thanks for the tip.

kivi90

Feb 17, 2011
Worms
This is nonsense. Unlock, install the right TWRP then install the second zip package.

i cant unlock cause i dont have the code, on the huawei page i try do make an account and get the code by providing the necessary information.
I just uploaded a picture, i choose "before EMUI5" cause this is the only option i can choose "tablets". --> i choose "tablet wifi" , enter product model "BTV-W09" then the serialnumber i can see in setting: 28D6R17316XXXXXX but then i have the problem to input product id, it say i can get it through "Dialer" app (which i dont have in wifi model ) or the calculator. Problem is in my damaged installation there is no huawei calc, other calcs from store dont work (read that problem in other threats) I tried many apps from appstore to get a product ID but huawei site keeps saying wrong product ID =/

With the program DC Unlocker i am able to see a MEID i dont know if its the right one, i tried my luck with the Product ID Generator from Huawei but it doenst work. (device not supported)

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    40.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

nicolap8

Jul 3, 2011
It's very strange that it says bootloader unlocked if you have never unlocked...
And was very stupid to try to installl a beta release without before unlocking and taking a backup.
Exhange your device for a Nokia 3110!

kivi90

Feb 17, 2011
Worms
It's very strange that it says bootloader unlocked if you have never unlocked...
And was very stupid to try to installl a beta release without before unlocking and taking a backup.
Exhange your device for a Nokia 3110!

yeah at this device i never touched bootloader, i didnt think it would become such a big deal , i didnt want unlocked bootloader or other recovery just newest android. Never had any problems with the "force update function" to come back to stock. I tried DC Unlocker but cant get further cause device need to get into manufature mode (thorugh dialer or calculator which i both dont have) i hope maybe i find one more way.

davekaye

Nov 30, 2010
palo alto
Did you ever find a fix

Did you ever find a way to fix this. I'm in the same situation. I even did a VPN on my router to give me a Hong Kong address for erecovery and that still didn't work. I have the exact same product. Like you I tried to various attempts to download a new recovery, but nothing works. Nice hardware, but some of the worst software/firmware I have ever dealt with since starting with the first release of Android on the HTC Hero.

deV14nt

Jul 1, 2009
yeah at this device i never touched bootloader, i didnt think it would become such a big deal , i didnt want unlocked bootloader or other recovery just newest android. Never had any problems with the "force update function" to come back to stock. I tried DC Unlocker but cant get further cause device need to get into manufature mode (thorugh dialer or calculator which i both dont have) i hope maybe i find one more way.

I had mostly the same problem. I rolled back to 4.1 using the rollback and the actual 4.1 update.app. I think that puts you on C100 if I remember right. Tablet I have is C128 (USA) but no problem for this step. Get the Product ID from the calculator. Allow OEM unlock in the settings, then unlock it using the unlock code. Email yourself the unlock code because who knows if their website will even be functional next time. Alternatively you can extract the stock calculator from the update_data_usa.zip or whatever and try to use DC with 5.0. That second update zip does not install properly via the dload method, so a bunch of stock apps don't get installed. You can kind of hack it and flash it via TWRP but I didn't do it that way.

Or...you can use firmware finder to force an OTA from 4.1 right up to 5.0 (350), then take that last partial OTA to 351 after as well. The way to do that is via DNS in firmware finder. Find the Full OTA in firmware finder you want, send it to the updater by changing your DNS the way it tells you to, and when it does the OTA, everything will be properly installed basically the official way. Good as new. Flash TWRP to recovery2 and replace the erecovery. Keep the stock recovery as is. Install magisk. Golden.

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

So i tried to do the rollback with:
HUAWEI MediaPad M3 8 Rollback Package%28BTV-W09 %2CC900B300%2C EMUI5.0%2BAndroid7.0 rollback to EMUI4.1%2BAndroid 6.0%29
The Installtion (force update) gets stuck at 5% and after like 3-5 minutes the tablet will boot up showing the same boot error that can be skipped with pressing powerbutton. I checked sytem and it still showed "android 7 + EMUI 5" but built : BTV-W09C900B300
I think this is the one i "need" to be able to install the "HUAWEI MediaPad M3 8 Firmware %28BTV-W09 %2CC100B006%2C EMUI4.1%2BAndroid 6.0%29"
Problem is regardless which "update.app" i try to force install will get stuck at 5% and give me same error.
Also, as far as the rollback, you need to do the first one (the C900 which is just a compatibility fix to allow rollback, previously used by beta testers I believe). Then you need to do the second one, the C100. If it is getting stuck, try downloading it again and be sure you don't have anything else in the /dload directory on either internal or the sd card. I had one on both at one point so maybe that happened to you. The C900 should be very quick but the C100 will slowly progress after 5% all the way around in several minutes.

When you get to updating back to 5.0, you can choose whichever region you want as long as it is a full OTA. C128 is USA and that's what I bought so that's what I picked. That gets you back in the right OTA update channel after that.

Last edited:

yorat

Jan 17, 2018
Hi guys,
I started as a novice and have learnt the hard way.
Has anyone tried rollback to EMUI 4.1 EU version on a US device (W09) and are there any problems I should be aware of?
I have had the exact same problem shared in this thread and have gone through the pain of finding a solution. My last resort is to rollback to 4.1 and restart the whole process.

@deV14nt: you suggested that when updating back to EMUI 5.0, I can choose the region even if my EMUI4.1 is EU version. How does this work?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: