[Recovery] ClockworkMod 2.5.1.7 offmode charging

Search This thread

amazinglarry311

Apr 11, 2010
thanks go to damien667 for the method, brswattt and ladios for being brave and testing.

DOWNLOAD:
View attachment clockworkmod-2.5.1.7-liberty-offmode-charging.zip

Instructions:
unzip the recovery image and use your specific devices installation procedure for recovery.

This is a custom clockworkmod recovery 2.5.1.7 that allows you to finally turn off your phone and allow it to charge instead of it booting right back into clockwork.

a detailed explanation on how this is acheived is HERE

This recovery only has a modified ramdisk, functionality and use is the same as clockworkmod 2.5.1.7 official.

enjoy.

now i'm off to fix the DHD recovery.

EDIT: manually installing is the only option at the moment, thanks gruss.

stupid s-on.

ROM MANAGER should have the latest recovery image available with a fix for powering off and charging, thread will stay up for hostorical reference but these images are no longer required, it is always recommended to upgrade to the current version of rom manager and cwm that your rom requires

Last edited:

DanGeorges

Apr 14, 2009
Cleveland
I need one experienced user to test this recovery image.

The mod performed is the same one done to the the g2 and mt4g and works flawlessly on the recovery images I have posted altering recovery to allow charge while the phone is off and not boot to clockworkmod.

If you do not know how to flash recovery images manually through fastboot or from a rom do not continue.

If you do not know how to recover from a bad recovery flash do not continue.

This image is untested as I do not have access to an aria. Be warned.

Danger should be low, please understand I do not accept liability in the very very small chance something goes horribly wrong.

If you are not sufficiently scared yet, please test and let me know if it works, if not working please stand by, flash back to your previous recovery image, and I will post a fix.

Thanks go to damien667 for figuring it out.

View attachment 562769

if people are using cwm 3.x i can modify that as well.

Lots of views - no takers yet...
I'm sure many would find this very useful. If anyone has a "spare" Aria, or is really brave (I have neither a spare nor the guts), please check it out.

amazinglarry311

Apr 11, 2010
I thought you could do a temporary flash that doesn't stick. I suppose that's problematic as the device has to be turned off to test the mod. Go figure. The threads here for when someone wants to try it out, I can only think of two potential issues that would cause this not to work. Does anyone have a link to an OTA recovery image in img form for the aria? I'll google it, but if anyone knows please answer.

Last edited:

ladios

Oct 24, 2009
Flashed, not working. When it booted into recovey, it stayed on the htc screen, no menu was shown. `adb devices` showed that it's in recovery mode, though. Used adb shell to look around, everything's there but no /etc/fstab... can't mount anything.

hk-froyo-ota-recovery-image.zip md5sum: 0d44b10cbb8f1d6d40e68b522e578042

Although I did unroot in order to flash it, I think it might be ok to run unrevoked on sense 2.1 or 2.2 rom to do the job.

edit: wow, ota pops up! never throught i would see that again.

INFO/htcCheckinService(80): Started a new update download: http://fotadl.htc.com/OTA_Liberty_F...4_P_release_138425_15969388mnzxpm7szkle1k.zip

Attachments

• hk-froyo-ota-recovery-image.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 224
Last edited:

DanGeorges

Apr 14, 2009
Cleveland
Flashed, not working. When it booted into recovey, it stayed on the htc screen, no menu was shown. `adb devices` showed that it's in recovery mode, though. Used adb shell to look around, everything's there but no /etc/fstab... can't mount anything.

Although I did unroot in order to flash it, I think it might be ok to run unrevoked on sense 2.1 or 2.2 rom to do the job.

Thank you for testing this, Ladios!

amazinglarry311

Apr 11, 2010
Awesome, thanks for the test. I'm guessing it's the ueventd binary that isnt needed. i'll know in about five seconds after i pull apart the OTA recovery.

Thanks for testing, i'll have another one up in a jiffy.

amazinglarry311

Apr 11, 2010
yup. init.rc was calling a binary (ueventd) that isnt required.

try this one out:
EDIT: removed see bottom of the post

Sorry guys, this would be way easier if i had one.

These are the same changes aligned with the other mods i've done:

basically the OTA recovery contains four binaries not found in CWM

detect_key
power_test
offmode_charging
choice_fn

the init.rc on the original OTA recovery calls these binaries when plugged in and off, the recovery kernel should load but keeping the phone off and in a charging state. adb will should available in this mode as well.

a better explanation was in the mt4g thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=12513699&postcount=3

EDIT: removed, found resources needed.

please test. and thank you. this mod is in response to a request by gruss at the CM forum to see if the same mod could be applied.

EDIT: the OTA recovery that was posted did not contain some resources, give me five minutes... i found the original RUU and the recovery image there has everything i need. filesize increase is due to inclusion of offmode_charging_images that i found in the original OTA recovery.

EDIT: REMOVED - test succesful see first post.

this one really should work. i have pretty good faith in it..

If not, it looks like the mod works with some recoveries and not all. i may attempt one more time, but i dont want to waste people's time here.

Last edited:
Reactions: drowningchild

brswattt

Nov 3, 2010
Spring, TX

try this one out:

detect_key
power_test
offmode_charging
choice_fn

the init.rc on the original OTA recovery calls these binaries when plugged in and off, the recovery kernel should load but keeping the phone off and in a charging state. adb will should available in this mode as well.

a better explanation was in the mt4g thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=12513699&postcount=3

please test. and thank you. this mod is in response to a request by gruss at the CM forum to see if the same mod could be applied.

EDIT: the OTA recovery that was posted did not contain some resources, give me five minutes... i found the original RUU and the recovery image there has everything i need. filesize increase is due to inclusion of offmode_charging_images that i found in the original OTA recovery.

View attachment 563263

If not, it looks like the mod works with some recoveries and not all. i may attempt one more time, but i dont want to waste people's time here.

This does indeed work :) The screen is a little dim though when it's charging.

amazinglarry311

Apr 11, 2010
This does indeed work :) The screen is a little dim though when it's charging.

Excellent, I will update the first post. About the screen being slightly dim - the stock aria recovery image used to actually load pictures showing the charging status while the phone is off, this would draw the images on the phone and the background was never a solid black, go figure. Cwm doesn't display them correctly as the resources are there but it was never written into the recovery itself or it's a frame buffer issue our something along those lines.

EDIT: see first post for download.

Last edited:

ladios

Oct 24, 2009
thanks go to damien667 for the method, brswattt and ladios for being brave and testing.

DOWNLOAD:
View attachment 563834

Instructions:
unzip the recovery image and use your specific devices installation procedure for recovery. TESTERS - see below.

This is a custom clockworkmod recovery 2.5.1.7 that allows you to finally turn off your phone and allow it to charge instead of it booting right back inot clockwork.

This recovery only has a modified ramdisk, functionality and use is the same as clockworkmod 2.5.1.7 official.

enjoy.

TESTER NEEDED: Now the instructions to install the recovery are to do it manually and unzip the file. the zip itself is actually flashable, i just need to know if the capability exists for the aria to flash a recovery image while booted into recovery. The way that some OTA updates usually work (or used to) allowed raw images to be flashed while in recovery. I know the nand is locked when you are booted, but does the same apply to recovery? My assumption is no. if someone would like to test the zip from their current recovery and flash it, and reboot to recovery, turn off and try to charge to see if it sticks. possible things that can happen testing this: it doesnt stick and you keep your old recovery and flash manually, or you lose your recovery image (doubtful and highly unlikely)

it occurs to me that the flashable might not work, are your devices the kind that write the recovery image every time the phone is turned off?

Cannot flash the zip:
Code:
-- Installing: SDCARD:2Flash/clockworkmod-2.5.1.7-liberty-offmode-charging.zip
I:Set boot command "boot-recovery"
Finding update package...
I:Update location: SDCARD:2Flash/clockworkmod-2.5.1.7-liberty-offmode-charging.zip
Opening update package...
I:Update file path: /sdcard/2Flash/clockworkmod-2.5.1.7-liberty-offmode-charging.zip
Installing update...
I:Trying update-binary.
E:Error in /sdcard/2Flash/clockworkmod-2.5.1.7-liberty-offmode-charging.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

I tried to use flash_image before, it can't be read/write. Except one time, unrevoked failed its attempt and stopped right before its last couple of stages, flash_image worked for once. In other times, it failed and then rebooted, left me no chance to run flash_image.

Reactions: amazinglarry311

amazinglarry311

Apr 11, 2010
for now manual flash looks like the way to go. you can check the OP again, there's a slim possibility a LIBEIMG.zip will load from hboot. it's in the first post. this kind of thing works for mt3g/dream/g2/mt4g but these suckers are all s-off as well. sigh. lame.

ladios

Oct 24, 2009
for now manual flash looks like the way to go. you can check the OP again, there's a slim possibility a LIBEIMG.zip will load from hboot. it's in the first post. this kind of thing works for mt3g/dream/g2/mt4g but these suckers are all s-off as well. sigh. lame.

Hboot loaded the zip, showed a vertical status bar on the top-right corner, said checking the zip, and then stopped.

Seems unrevoked is the only way...

amazinglarry311

Apr 11, 2010
yeah i just finished updating the original post. thanks to everyone who tested.

s-on sucks big time.

just to be clear though the image is reported to work and charge while off.

DanGeorges

Apr 14, 2009
Cleveland
yeah i just finished updating the original post. thanks to everyone who tested.

s-on sucks big time.

just to be clear though the image is reported to work and charge while off.

So if I understand this correctly:

1. Connect phone to computer whilst booted up
2. Run Unerevoked, but use the included ".img" file from the OP file
3. Install the new recovery image
4. Reboot phone (if it doesn't do it on its own)

Or do I flash the entire .zip file from the phone's recovery menu?

Sorry if these are "dummy" questions...

Feb 16, 2009
Thanks for this little modification of the recovery! I actually see a little battery on the screen when charging now. However, Recovery still says 2.5.0.7, but charging while off works with no problems. I also flashed CM7 using the recovery I downloaded in this thread, so the recovery has no issues as well! Thanks again! :)

Feb 16, 2009
So if I understand this correctly:

1. Connect phone to computer whilst booted up
2. Run Unerevoked, but use the included ".img" file from the OP file
3. Install the new recovery image
4. Reboot phone (if it doesn't do it on its own)

Or do I flash the entire .zip file from the phone's recovery menu?

Sorry if these are "dummy" questions...

I actually had to first unroot before Unrevoked actually installed the new recovery image. Something is weird about the Aria about not flashing recoveries directly...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

DOWNLOAD:
    View attachment clockworkmod-2.5.1.7-liberty-offmode-charging.zip

Instructions:
    unzip the recovery image and use your specific devices installation procedure for recovery.

This is a custom clockworkmod recovery 2.5.1.7 that allows you to finally turn off your phone and allow it to charge instead of it booting right back into clockwork.

enjoy.

EDIT: manually installing is the only option at the moment, thanks gruss.

stupid s-on.

ROM MANAGER should have the latest recovery image available with a fix for powering off and charging, thread will stay up for hostorical reference but these images are no longer required, it is always recommended to upgrade to the current version of rom manager and cwm that your rom requires

edit: wow, ota pops up! never throught i would see that again.

INFO/htcCheckinService(80): Started a new update download: http://fotadl.htc.com/OTA_Liberty_F...4_P_release_138425_15969388mnzxpm7szkle1k.zip

try this one out:

detect_key
    power_test
    offmode_charging
    choice_fn

EDIT: REMOVED - test succesful see first post.

DOWNLOAD:
    View attachment 563834

Instructions:
    unzip the recovery image and use your specific devices installation procedure for recovery. TESTERS - see below.

This is a custom clockworkmod recovery 2.5.1.7 that allows you to finally turn off your phone and allow it to charge instead of it booting right back inot clockwork.

enjoy.

TESTER NEEDED: Now the instructions to install the recovery are to do it manually and unzip the file. the zip itself is actually flashable, i just need to know if the capability exists for the aria to flash a recovery image while booted into recovery. The way that some OTA updates usually work (or used to) allowed raw images to be flashed while in recovery. I know the nand is locked when you are booted, but does the same apply to recovery? My assumption is no. if someone would like to test the zip from their current recovery and flash it, and reboot to recovery, turn off and try to charge to see if it sticks. possible things that can happen testing this: it doesnt stick and you keep your old recovery and flash manually, or you lose your recovery image (doubtful and highly unlikely)

it occurs to me that the flashable might not work, are your devices the kind that write the recovery image every time the phone is turned off?

Cannot flash the zip:
    Code:
    -- Installing: SDCARD:2Flash/clockworkmod-2.5.1.7-liberty-offmode-charging.zip
    I:Set boot command "boot-recovery"
    Finding update package...
    I:Update location: SDCARD:2Flash/clockworkmod-2.5.1.7-liberty-offmode-charging.zip
    Opening update package...
    I:Update file path: /sdcard/2Flash/clockworkmod-2.5.1.7-liberty-offmode-charging.zip
    Installing update...
    I:Trying update-binary.
    E:Error in /sdcard/2Flash/clockworkmod-2.5.1.7-liberty-offmode-charging.zip
    (Status 0)
    Installation aborted.

I tried to use flash_image before, it can't be read/write. Except one time, unrevoked failed its attempt and stopped right before its last couple of stages, flash_image worked for once. In other times, it failed and then rebooted, left me no chance to run flash_image.
    So if I unroot, then use Unrevoked, how do I get unrevoked to use the new recovery? Is there a file somewhere on my computer that should be swapped out first?

In Unrevoked:

File, Custom Recovery, browse to recovery.img that is downloaded from the OP.