[Recovery] ClockworkMod 3.1.0.1-solarnz-R3 Modded for Internal media

Search This thread

solarnz

Retired Recognized Developer
May 23, 2010
Sydney
ClockworkMod Recovery - Modified for Asus Transformer

OK, so this recovery will skip /data/media (Internal storage) when performing nandroid backups and also when you perform a factory reset.

This means that we can now perform nandroid backups without backing up our internal media and removing it everytime you want to do a backup.

Thanks to Bigrushdog and MadIndustries for helping out with the concept of the solution for skipping /data/media.
Also thanks to Koush and all the other developers that have contributed to clockworkmod, without you guys the android world would be completely different.
Thanks also to everyone in #xoom & #transformer that tested this.

The source code for all changes etc are available through the github repository. The two other projects that have been modified to make this recovery possible can also be viewed through my github account.

Even though this recovery has been tested, I am not liable for any loss of data or any damages done by this recovery.

==============================================
General Notes

When I refer to /data/media, this is the same as /sdcard when the transformer is booted into honeycomb. So any data that is stored in here should be untouched by this recovery.

Nandroid backups and restores don't touch the boot or recovery partitions.

If you encounter a problem with the filesystem on /data like it has become corrupt, place a blank file called "eraseData" (without the quotes) in the clockworkmod folder on your external sdcard. This will revert to the old way of formatting /data. NOTE: by doing this you will lose everything that you have in /data/media.

Versioning of recovery images:
At the moment I don't have a version number as such, instead each recovery image is timestamped in the format of DDMMYY-HHYY. So the file recovery-solarnz-120511-2030.img was produced on 12 May 2011 at 8:30 PM. This versioning is also shown in recovery when it starts.

Downloads

Recovery Zip (solarnz-R3-240511-1908) FLASHED THROUGH CWM
MD5: 4470bee75f3318f07ec1eb5ddcee1f96

Installation Instructions

Method 1 Flashing through CWM
Download the recovery zip file

Place the recovery zip on the sdcard where clockworkmod can read it.

Reboot into recovery using "adb reboot recovery" or any other method

In recovery, select flash zip from sdcard and select the recovery zip you downloaded

Once it has flashed the zip file, be sure to reboot your transformer so it complete the flashing process.

Also, you can grab Rom Manager or QuickBoot from the market for easy access to recovery.

Changelog
Code:
  [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/XDA/Transformer/recovery-3.1.0.1-solarnz-R3-240511-1908.zip]3.1.0.1 (R3-240511-1908)[/url]
- Initial release for Asus Transformer
- Modified to skip /data/media or /sdcard in nandroid backups.
- Modified formatting /data to remove directories and folders so we can keep media.
- Place a file called eraseData in the clockworkmod directory on your EXTERNAL sdcard to revert to the normal restoration method.

Last edited:

Roach2010

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2008
Glasgow
Great work. I've tested extensively and have found no problems. this does exactly what it says on the tin.

I can also confirm that this version works fine with restoring pre-existing nandroid backups from the same device.

Last edited:

ivan.volosyuk

Dec 12, 2010
Why it's specific to Transformer? What about Xoom? Does it has different data layout? I thought it should be standard to Honeycomb...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

timtlm

Mar 17, 2008
St Louis
Will this be compatible with previous backups I have made? Will the previous backups still restore the sdcard folder still?

Also, +1 about why this has to be unique for the TF and can't be honeycomb universal.

jtn7040

Feb 8, 2009
Arlington, tx
anyone install rom manager yet? it says that i don't have CWM recovery installed but i do because i've used it shoudd i reinstall useing ROM manager?

ViViDboarder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Thought I'd give quickboot a try... not working for me. Anyone else use that? It just reboots my device to HC when I do Recovery or Bootloader. Oh well, I'll do it oldskool.

Cordy

Feb 2, 2008
Thought I'd give quickboot a try... not working for me. Anyone else use that? It just reboots my device to HC when I do Recovery or Bootloader. Oh well, I'll do it oldskool.
@ViViDboarder & jtn7040

Neither of these methods will work currently to reboot into recovery. However you can use Quickboot to reboot the TF and hold the Vol Down then press Vol Up to get to recovery.

Reactions: grexian

Ultraman666

Apr 8, 2010
Kansas
Xiaomi Mi Mix
OnePlus 9 Pro
@ViViDboarder & jtn7040

Neither of these methods will work currently to reboot into recovery. However you can use Quickboot to reboot the TF and hold the Vol Down then press Vol Up to get to recovery.

Good to know going to flash this tonite, hopefully they will be able to get this working like we have on the phones. But like ViviDboarder said I can do it old school for now :)

fl4r3

Feb 24, 2008
London
Great! Def needed this.

Does anyone know if performing a factory reset/wiping deletes the data in this directory?

frosty5689

May 10, 2011
Yes, that will wipe the data too.

Thanks for the CWM mod, this will save me the headache of having to backup my music and videos for no reason

Sent from my Transformer TF101

Hatman41

Jun 4, 2010
Hermitage
I cannot use ROM Manager as it says you need to install cwm and the trans is not listed. I emailed about it but have not heard back.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

funnycreature

I cannot use ROM Manager as it says you need to install cwm and the trans is not listed. I emailed about it but have not heard back.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

Same here! I hope that the TF will be added soon! It's working but for convenience sake ;) I paid for the premium so I expect some service hahahaha :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ClockworkMod Recovery - Modified for Asus Transformer

OK, so this recovery will skip /data/media (Internal storage) when performing nandroid backups and also when you perform a factory reset.

This means that we can now perform nandroid backups without backing up our internal media and removing it everytime you want to do a backup.

Thanks to Bigrushdog and MadIndustries for helping out with the concept of the solution for skipping /data/media.
    Also thanks to Koush and all the other developers that have contributed to clockworkmod, without you guys the android world would be completely different.
    Thanks also to everyone in #xoom & #transformer that tested this.

The source code for all changes etc are available through the github repository. The two other projects that have been modified to make this recovery possible can also be viewed through my github account.

Even though this recovery has been tested, I am not liable for any loss of data or any damages done by this recovery.

General Notes

When I refer to /data/media, this is the same as /sdcard when the transformer is booted into honeycomb. So any data that is stored in here should be untouched by this recovery.

Nandroid backups and restores don't touch the boot or recovery partitions.

If you encounter a problem with the filesystem on /data like it has become corrupt, place a blank file called "eraseData" (without the quotes) in the clockworkmod folder on your external sdcard. This will revert to the old way of formatting /data. NOTE: by doing this you will lose everything that you have in /data/media.

Versioning of recovery images:
    At the moment I don't have a version number as such, instead each recovery image is timestamped in the format of DDMMYY-HHYY. So the file recovery-solarnz-120511-2030.img was produced on 12 May 2011 at 8:30 PM. This versioning is also shown in recovery when it starts.

Downloads

Recovery Zip (solarnz-R3-240511-1908) FLASHED THROUGH CWM
    MD5: 4470bee75f3318f07ec1eb5ddcee1f96

Installation Instructions

Method 1 Flashing through CWM
    Download the recovery zip file

Place the recovery zip on the sdcard where clockworkmod can read it.

Reboot into recovery using "adb reboot recovery" or any other method

In recovery, select flash zip from sdcard and select the recovery zip you downloaded

Once it has flashed the zip file, be sure to reboot your transformer so it complete the flashing process.

Also, you can grab Rom Manager or QuickBoot from the market for easy access to recovery.

Changelog
    Code:
      [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/XDA/Transformer/recovery-3.1.0.1-solarnz-R3-240511-1908.zip]3.1.0.1 (R3-240511-1908)[/url]
    - Initial release for Asus Transformer
    - Modified to skip /data/media or /sdcard in nandroid backups.
    - Modified formatting /data to remove directories and folders so we can keep media.
    - Place a file called eraseData in the clockworkmod directory on your EXTERNAL sdcard to revert to the normal restoration method.
    ** Reserved **
    @ViViDboarder & jtn7040

Ok, so I have one question, does /data/media get wiped when you wipe data in CWM?

No. /data/media is not wiped when you do a factory reset.

And no you cannot flash this through Rom Manager.