[RECOVERY] Custom CWM-Based Touch Recovery 5.0.2.7 for Kindle Fire [FINAL][Dt:10/03]

Search This thread

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
This is a Custom CWM-Based Touch Recovery 5.0.2.7 for Kindle Fire​

Credits and special thanks to Koush and everyone else involved in Cyanogenmod project!​

kf-screencap-new.jpg

[ info ]

This is standard CWM recovery with some smart features/modifications and ability to navigate using touch screen (on-screen buttons)

i dont have this device with me so cant do testing myself... smirkis & others from this thread helped out with testing it...

[ credits / special thanks ]

• Koush - for his brilliant work & coding for CWM recovery
  • TeamWin - for the TWRP recovery... i have used the recovery.fstab from their recovery-ramdisk...
  • pokey9000 - for providing the custom binaries to set bootmode
  • Napstar - my teammate (Team UtterChaos) for his work on implementing touch based navigation interface
  • sztupy - for his work on SteamMOD recovery (the core touch interface is based on his work)
  • jcase - for pointing out correct default.prop entires
  • all testers who helped with the initial test versions

[ WARNING ]

and incase this doest work correctly make sure that u can restore to factory condition...

DO NOT rapidly tap the on-screen buttons...

[ Requirements ]

• fastboot capable Kindle Fire (factory cable way or rooted and bootmode enabled)

[ features ]

• touch based on-screen buttons for navigation thru menus (from top to bottom):
    • SELECT
    • UP
    • DOWN
    • BACK
  • based on standard CWM5.0.2.7 recovery sources
  • revamped layout for recovery menu (to improve navigation) [renamed few options and changed their order]
  • changed "wipe data/factory reset" option to just "factory reset", and detailed the partitions which will be wiped
  • added reboot options (Kindle Fire specific)
    • reboot into system
    • reboot into recovery
    • reboot into fastboot mode
  • "Partition SDCard" is disabled for this device
  • add confirmation to "backup" option in Nandroid menu... it used to keep getting pressed by mistake and start making backups immediately... now it will ask u before starting backup ;)
  • removed tons of "NO"s from some menus...
  • fixed "reboot into recovery" in "advanced menu"
  • shows battery percentage [based on generic sysfs interface] (not sure if this works as i dont have device to test)
  • shows current time (time when the recovery was entered/started)
  • uses new Roboto FONT (from latest CWM repo)
  • recovery build date/time is now shown
  • new "select update.zip menu": it will give u a new option - "show file details" - which will display the size (in bytes) and the MD5SUM of the selected file :)
  • new "advanced backup menu": it will allow the user to manually select which partitions to be backed up... supported partitions (/boot (kernel), /system, /data, /cache & /sd-ext)... THESE BACKUPs WILL BE DONE TO /sdcard
  • added prompt to display the "backup folder name" when user starts restoring a backup
  • added a warning and option to abort backup if space on sdcard is < 150 MB
  • increased on screen log/output display to 36 rows

[ how to flash/install ]

reboot into fastboot mode and enter the command:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery filename.img

[ how to use recovery ]

use onscreen buttons to navigate in recovery menus

[ what all to test ]

1. flashing UPDATE.zip (test update.zip : test_emmc_update-v3.zip will copy a file "blankplaceholder" to /system, /data & /cache partitions)
  2. backup/restore of current ROM
  3. mounting USB storage in recovery menu
  4. access to device via adb
  5. fix permissions (Advanced Menu)
  6. reboot options (check if device can reboot into system, recovery & fastboot mode)

[ how to report issues ]

while reporting issues (if any) kindly provided detailed info as to what all steps lead to that error/issue... also while in this recovery mode (before rebooting) pull the recovery log files using ADB and upload them with ur post
Code:
adb pull /cache/recovery .

[ donations ]

if u feel that this work has helped u OR u think that the work i put into making this is worthy of donations, then click on the following link for buying me some coffee/beer/etc ;)

PAYPAL DONATION LINK

[ sources ]

https://github.com/DooMLoRD/CWM-Recovery-Modded-Kindle-Fire

[ download links ]

< NEW >

[Kindle Fire] CWM-Based Touch Edition Recovery 5.0.2.7 by TeamUtterChaos (v01-FINAL)
MD5HASH: 980f152121afd5dcd12b732669e21b09

< OLD >

[Kindle Fire] CWM-Based Touch Edition Recovery 5.0.2.7 by TeamUtterChaos (v01-BETA2)
MD5HASH: 62022defd4a459ff552490e7c07de5af

[Kindle Fire] CWM-Based Touch Edition Recovery 5.0.2.7 by TeamUtterChaos (v01-BETA1)
MD5HASH: 7524585473aa20158fc8491f85023dcc

icon8.gif

enjoy!!!

Last edited:

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Last night I got the forced 6.2.2 update that broke root. I was able to get root back using burritoroot2. But no matter what I tried I couldnt get twrp back. So I tried this CWM based recovery and it worked. I have it running now on my 6.2.2 rooted Fire. Just did a full back up. So far so good. Im just glad to have recovery again. Thanks for this.

Heres what Ive been able to do. Full backup, reboot to system, reboot to recovery, and mount usb storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubbachicken

androidcues

Mar 6, 2010
Boston
kinda offtopic but somewhat relevant

Ok, so I was over at friends for dinner and then I wanted to perform a backup in anticipation of tonights beta1 test and left the KF on the couch in recovery mode... and my friends kids got ahold of the KF........ :/

After dinner I found it in perpetual fastboot mode with the SDcard erased and no image in /system... which means they wiped both my SDCard and then my whole image!!! Luckily I had my laptop in my car so I simply restored my SDCard and fastbooted a backup back in.

I am not sure how they did it as theyre not even past the "See **** Jump Jane" reading level but they did it.

which means we need to be extra careful when the device is in recovery mode... I dont think they would have succeeded if it was my Vision left on the couch vs the Fire with touchscreen....

anyway - this prompts two ideas..
1. additional prompts at the Factory Reset option (do you reeally really really want to do this) and at the Format SDCard option.

EDIT - and this is how I flash recovery

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Fire\tools>fastboot devices
0123456789ABCDEF fastboot

C:\Fire\tools>fastboot erase recovery
erasing 'recovery'... OKAY [ 2.030s]
finished. total time: 2.030s

C:\Fire\tools>fastboot flash recovery chaosbeta1.img
sending 'recovery' (5194 KB)... OKAY [ 1.473s]
writing 'recovery'... OKAY [ 1.020s]
finished. total time: 2.494s

C:\Fire\tools>fastboot reboot
rebooting...
finished. total time: -0.000s

C:\Fire\tools>

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Last night I got the forced 6.2.2 update that broke root. I was able to get root back using burritoroot2. But no matter what I tried I couldnt get twrp back. So I tried this CWM based recovery and it worked. I have it running now on my 6.2.2 rooted Fire. Just did a full back up. So far so good. Im just glad to have recovery again. Thanks for this.

Heres what Ive been able to do. Full backup, reboot to system, reboot to recovery, and mount usb storage.

glad to hear that...

Ok, so I was over at friends for dinner and then I wanted to perform a backup in anticipation of tonights beta1 test and left the KF on the couch in recovery mode... and my friends kids got ahold of the KF........ :/

After dinner I found it in perpetual fastboot mode with the SDcard erased and no image in /system... which means they wiped both my SDCard and then my whole image!!! Luckily I had my laptop in my car so I simply restored my SDCard and fastbooted a backup back in.

I am not sure how they did it as theyre not even past the "See **** Jump Jane" reading level but they did it.

which means we need to be extra careful when the device is in recovery mode... I dont think they would have succeeded if it was my Vision left on the couch vs the Fire with touchscreen....

anyway - this prompts two ideas..
1. additional prompts at the Factory Reset option (do you reeally really really want to do this) and at the Format SDCard option.

hehe kids can figure out stuff ;)

Factory reset already has a "are u sure prompt"

lets see if i have time i might add prompts to those format options...

androidcues

Mar 6, 2010
Boston
Flashed beta1 and its much better than last... did everything on the menu and not one problem at all... except for getting sent to no mans land in key test... still cant find that trapdoor to get back. did backup restore flashed update.zip and emmcV3 and then flashed ICS played with full reboot menu liked how i can reboot into fastboot so i can flash a new recovery... but whatever.. good release... ready for next test.

now one suggestion and ill stop with suggestions after this... i liked it how CWM on the Vision would turn on when the device was off and charging... folks saw this as a bug but i saw it as feature and then that was patched up. Since Fire only has one button and i dont really like pushing that button to get to recovery (itll wear out faster) it would be killer if CWM could turn on when charging so when someones done charging and ready to turn oon device they can start right off in CWM. People can either just reboot system or start off with CWM utilities.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using xda premium

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
mod edit *snip* insert really unwanted post here

we have been working on this for past two months and have released this recovery for various devices (SE Xperia X10, ARC, PLAY; HTC Flyer; Huawei Ideos X6; Samsung Galaxy SL i9003)...

FYI the base for this recovery is CWM (by koush/CM team) and i have personally added some modifications which can be found here: https://github.com/DooMLoRD/CWM-Recovery-Modded
most of the work, related to adding touch based navigation, has been done by my team-mate Napstar... the "touch" capability is from a small block of code from SteamMOD recovery by sztupy...

u can decide urself when u see the sources (sources will be released soon)...

further more if u dont understand/appreciate our work then u can leave this thread and stop talking crap like this...

another thing ur post is being reported to the MODS...

if ppl are not interested in our work i think we will stop this... there is no point wasting our time for a community who doesnt understand/appreciate what we are doing and anyways we dont have the device... we were purely doing this so that users from ur community can benefit... if there is so much hatred we will close this project...

Last edited by a moderator:

gweedo767

Nov 27, 2006
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in here. I looked over his source code and he didn't use any of my work from what I can see. Keep up the good work man, the Fire needs something other than TWRP ;)

Whiskey103

Member Advocate Admin / Developer Committee
Staff member
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in here. I looked over his source code and he didn't use any of my work from what I can see. Keep up the good work man, the Fire needs something other than TWRP ;)

ha,, thanks,, that's easy for me... i was just checking in on it....spares me some time investigating.

cheers :D

Reactions: androidcues

MayfairDROID

Nov 17, 2011
DoomLord,
There are a lot of haters here, but a lot more that really appreciate all you are doing for us. Ignore those that ***** about **** they know nothing about, and keep on Keepin' on :) Thanks again!

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
@DoomLord
I want to say thanks again. Please dont take one stupid comment from one person as reflecting the community. I myself have gotten pretty frustrated at people on this site. For every snobby, rude, know it all person on here there are many more that help and contribute to the overall community. So keep up the good work and ignore the haters.

G1ForFun

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 1, 2010
we have been working on this for past two months and have released this recovery for various devices (SE Xperia X10, ARC, PLAY; HTC Flyer; Huawei Ideos X6; Samsung Galaxy SL i9003)...

FYI the base for this recovery is CWM (by koush/CM team) and i have personally added some modifications which can be found here: https://github.com/DooMLoRD/CWM-Recovery-Modded
most of the work, related to adding touch based navigation, has been done by my team-mate Napstar... the "touch" capability is from a small block of code from SteamMOD recovery by sztupy...

further more if u dont understand/appreciate our work then u can leave this thread and stop talking crap like this...

if ppl are not interested in our work i think we will stop this... there is no point wasting our time for a community who doesnt understand/appreciate what we are doing and anyways we dont have the device... we were purely doing this so that users from ur community can benefit... if there is so much hatred we will close this project...

So because of one person you are now accusing the WHOLE community of being unappreciative? Dude....wake up. Look at all the appreciative people on this thread and in many others. The thanks button love is flowing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
I approve this message. :D

@DoomLord
I want to say thanks again. Please dont take one stupid comment from one person as reflecting the community. I myself have gotten pretty frustrated at people on this site. For every snobby, rude, know it all person on here there are many more that help and contribute to the overall community. So keep up the good work and ignore the haters.

thank you guys for ur support!

So because of one person you are now accusing the WHOLE community of being unappreciative? Dude....wake up. Look at all the appreciative people on this thread and in many others. The thanks button love is flowing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

well... this is not the first time something like this is happening...

and i am a bit edgy today :p

anyways lets get back to testing...

Reactions: northmendo

sahilkhurana

Dec 18, 2010
Delhi
DoomLord
Do not stop the work at any cost..Let haters talk crap.
This great device needs CWM badly and a great developer like you..
ATB

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Reactions: smirkis

foxdog66

Jul 28, 2010
Ok so to revert back to cm's stock boot.img after fastboot flashing a boot.img (a kernel) I would just reinstall cm 7. However, the zip fails to install now with this error...

-- Installing: /sdcard/Download/update-cm7.zip
Finding update package...
I:Update location: /sdcard/Download/update-cm7.zip
Opening update package...
Installing update...
script aborted: assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "blaze" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "blaze" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "blaze"
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "blaze" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "blaze" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "blaze"
E:Error in /sdcard/Download/update-cm7.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
result was NULL, message is: assert failed: install_zip("/sdcard/Download/update-cm7.zip")

I think this is a updated version of the zip so i don't think i have installed it before. I was able to reinstall over cm previously (but with a different zip)

Aside from that, I've made a total of 2 backups, flash a different ROM several times, wiped multiple times, restored several times... Heck, i even used ROM manager to backup, wipe, install ROM, install gapps, install titanium zip and install several of my own zip's all in one run :D

This recovery is awesome! Thanks DooMLoRD!!!
I wonder what kinda stuff you would make if you actually had the device :p

Edit, could ROM manager be telling the recovery that i have a different device (because I choose manual override and picked despite HD to bypass installing the recovery with ROM manager) causing the install error (because Maby the zip is checking that to prevent installing the wrong zip)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a Custom CWM-Based Touch Recovery 5.0.2.7 for Kindle Fire​

Credits and special thanks to Koush and everyone else involved in Cyanogenmod project!​

kf-screencap-new.jpg

[ info ]

This is standard CWM recovery with some smart features/modifications and ability to navigate using touch screen (on-screen buttons)

i dont have this device with me so cant do testing myself... smirkis & others from this thread helped out with testing it...

[ credits / special thanks ]

• Koush - for his brilliant work & coding for CWM recovery
    • TeamWin - for the TWRP recovery... i have used the recovery.fstab from their recovery-ramdisk...
    • pokey9000 - for providing the custom binaries to set bootmode
    • Napstar - my teammate (Team UtterChaos) for his work on implementing touch based navigation interface
    • sztupy - for his work on SteamMOD recovery (the core touch interface is based on his work)
    • jcase - for pointing out correct default.prop entires
    • all testers who helped with the initial test versions

[ WARNING ]

and incase this doest work correctly make sure that u can restore to factory condition...

DO NOT rapidly tap the on-screen buttons...

[ Requirements ]

• fastboot capable Kindle Fire (factory cable way or rooted and bootmode enabled)

[ features ]

• touch based on-screen buttons for navigation thru menus (from top to bottom):
      • SELECT
      • UP
      • DOWN
      • BACK
    • based on standard CWM5.0.2.7 recovery sources
    • revamped layout for recovery menu (to improve navigation) [renamed few options and changed their order]
    • changed "wipe data/factory reset" option to just "factory reset", and detailed the partitions which will be wiped
    • added reboot options (Kindle Fire specific)
      • reboot into system
      • reboot into recovery
      • reboot into fastboot mode
    • "Partition SDCard" is disabled for this device
    • add confirmation to "backup" option in Nandroid menu... it used to keep getting pressed by mistake and start making backups immediately... now it will ask u before starting backup ;)
    • removed tons of "NO"s from some menus...
    • fixed "reboot into recovery" in "advanced menu"
    • shows battery percentage [based on generic sysfs interface] (not sure if this works as i dont have device to test)
    • shows current time (time when the recovery was entered/started)
    • uses new Roboto FONT (from latest CWM repo)
    • recovery build date/time is now shown
    • new "select update.zip menu": it will give u a new option - "show file details" - which will display the size (in bytes) and the MD5SUM of the selected file :)
    • new "advanced backup menu": it will allow the user to manually select which partitions to be backed up... supported partitions (/boot (kernel), /system, /data, /cache & /sd-ext)... THESE BACKUPs WILL BE DONE TO /sdcard
    • added prompt to display the "backup folder name" when user starts restoring a backup
    • added a warning and option to abort backup if space on sdcard is < 150 MB
    • increased on screen log/output display to 36 rows

[ how to flash/install ]

reboot into fastboot mode and enter the command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery filename.img

[ how to use recovery ]

use onscreen buttons to navigate in recovery menus

[ what all to test ]

1. flashing UPDATE.zip (test update.zip : test_emmc_update-v3.zip will copy a file "blankplaceholder" to /system, /data & /cache partitions)
    2. backup/restore of current ROM
    3. mounting USB storage in recovery menu
    4. access to device via adb
    5. fix permissions (Advanced Menu)
    6. reboot options (check if device can reboot into system, recovery & fastboot mode)

[ how to report issues ]

while reporting issues (if any) kindly provided detailed info as to what all steps lead to that error/issue... also while in this recovery mode (before rebooting) pull the recovery log files using ADB and upload them with ur post
    Code:
    adb pull /cache/recovery .

[ donations ]

if u feel that this work has helped u OR u think that the work i put into making this is worthy of donations, then click on the following link for buying me some coffee/beer/etc ;)

PAYPAL DONATION LINK

[ sources ]

https://github.com/DooMLoRD/CWM-Recovery-Modded-Kindle-Fire

[ download links ]

< NEW >

[Kindle Fire] CWM-Based Touch Edition Recovery 5.0.2.7 by TeamUtterChaos (v01-FINAL)
    MD5HASH: 980f152121afd5dcd12b732669e21b09

< OLD >

[Kindle Fire] CWM-Based Touch Edition Recovery 5.0.2.7 by TeamUtterChaos (v01-BETA2)
    MD5HASH: 62022defd4a459ff552490e7c07de5af

[Kindle Fire] CWM-Based Touch Edition Recovery 5.0.2.7 by TeamUtterChaos (v01-BETA1)
    MD5HASH: 7524585473aa20158fc8491f85023dcc

icon8.gif

enjoy!!!
    hey guys i am free today... if its possible can someone please summarize whatever features/bug fixes u want in the FINAL version?

i wont create the final version with full touch as the code might be unstable... but i will try n release a separate test version for full touch recovery!!!!

but right now i want to finalize this, so please let me know asap!
    reserved for later
    mod edit *snip* insert really unwanted post here

hmmm... not too sure why thats happening

lets try one thing...

when device boots into recovery connect it to PC via adb and execute the following command:
    Code:
    adb shell rm /res/keys

and then try to flash that update.zip again...

Its due to the asserts in the update script not matching the properties in your default.prop. I should of posted this last night, I ran into the same problems and fixed it. I feel asleep before I could.

Here is the default.prop that I used http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=CQ638khn if you want to merge the changed, specific changes are

Code:
    ro.product.model=Full Android on Blaze or SDP
    ro.product.brand=generic
    ro.product.name=blaze
    ro.product.device=blaze
    ro.product.board=omap4sdp
    ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
    ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
    ro.product.manufacturer=TI
    ro.product.locale.language=en
    ro.product.locale.region=US
    ro.wifi.channels=