[RECOVERY] CWM 5.5.0.4 For Acer A100

Search This thread

-DarkKnight-

Mar 14, 2011
Gotham
Hey guys, I had a little adventure getting this to work right and thought I'd share in case anyone else has the same issues I did.

I had the "attempt to boot into recovery, get a flash of polyhedron Android and then BOOM, dead Android on-screen" issue.

I tried Theonew's suggestion from post #25 but that didn't work.

I tried cheeb's suggestion from post #26 with no better result.

I began to think that perhaps I wasn't really flashing the recovery.img like I thought I was, so I combined these steps:

From Theonew's steps, I did this:

Code:
adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot reboot

...leaving out the flashing recovery.img step.

I then followed mapaz04's instructions for flashing from within Android from post #28.

After that, I installed Quickboot from the market, selected reboot into recovery and now I'm backing up with CWM as I type this...and just checked it completed successfully.

THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed in this thread -- for me, at least, it took something from each of you to make it work. Thanks for all your hard work and for sharing your knowledge.

so i did that. recoverry worked the first tuime. i got everything backed up. i rebooted back to android but when i tried to boot into recovery the second time, it would go to stock recovery and give me an exclamation point

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
so i did that. recoverry worked the first tuime. i got everything backed up. i rebooted back to android but when i tried to boot into recovery the second time, it would go to stock recovery and give me an exclamation point

Because you left /system/etc/install-recovery.sh intact and it overwrote cwm. Its been mentioned quite a few times that you must

Root
Replace boot loader with a200
Unlock boot loader
when you boot back into android delete install-recovery.sh
Install cwm/twrp
done.

Tapatalked from my A100 - Jellytime V8.4

htc_softbank

Oct 17, 2010
Because you left /system/etc/install-recovery.sh intact and it overwrote cwm. Its been mentioned quite a few times that you must

Root
Replace boot loader with a200
Unlock boot loader
when you boot back into android delete install-recovery.sh
Install cwm/twrp
done.

Tapatalked from my A100 - Jellytime V8.4
To be fair, I didn't know either. I had a hell of a time getting this recovery on and had the same issue as the guy above... I had to do a mixture of the steps in two of the posts who had a working fix. I basically read through the whole thread and didn't notice Replace boot loader with a200 or when you boot back into android delete install-recovery.sh I'm actually reading through this thread now because the clock work recovery is still holding, but now I'm getting a "can't mount xxx" error when I try to do a nandroid backup or install zip from sd card....

Maybe someone can make a new updated guide? I dunno if the OP is still around, but maybe the thread can be updated with the new steps to help out all the newbs/people trying to do this stuff. :)

Last edited:

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
To be fair, I don't think that's correct. I had a hell of a time getting this recovery on and had the same issue as the guy above... I had to do a mixture of the steps in two of the posts who had a working fix. I basically read through the whole thing and didn't notice Replace boot loader with a200 or when you boot back into android delete install-recovery.sh I'm actually reading through this thread now because the clock work recovery is still holding, but now I'm getting a "can't mount xxx" error when I try to do a nandroid backup or install zip from sd card....

Maybe someone can make a new updated guide? I dunno if the OP is still around, but maybe the thread can be updated with the new steps to help out all the newbs/people trying to do this stuff. :)

It's because I said what the scripts you guys are running are doing. Trust me, I know the process, I know what it's doing, I know how to do it by hand without running scripts. The process I outlined above is correct.

Root the device (this must be done FIRST)
Flash the A200 bootloader (this is required for fastboot oem unlock to work)
Reboot back into android
Delete /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (if you don't you overwrite your custom recovery with stock)
Install your custom recovery

From this point on you can backup, flash new ROMs, do whatever you want.

This is correct. If you don't believe me, read the scripts.

edit: Maybe I should clarify WHY this is required in this order.

The A100 bootloader can NOT be unlocked. The unlocking bootloader script you run in fact puts the A200 bootloader onto your A100, allowing it to be unlocked. If you don't unlock, you can't boot custom recoveries or custom ROMs, you will get verified failed and it will sit there looking pretty. Useless.

The reason I mentioned deleting (or renaming for that matter) the /system/etc/install-recovery.sh file is BECAUSE it isn't mentioned where it should be in the directions, resulting in people flashing their new recovery, and then losing it again. You can go back and forth flashing recoveries all you want, removing this file is required to keep it past a reboot. The file is also used for the crossix mount swap mod, in which case you will leave it alone, it won't touch the recovery.

The first time I went through this entire thing, no one had mentioned the file being renamed or moved, and it overwrote my recovery, so I had to rename it, then flash again. I say to do it when I do to save that extra time and flashing. I'm helping you, trust me. Also as the file sits in /system/etc you need root and system R/W to mess with it, so again, Root, Unlock, Recovery. In that order.

Oh another edit lol you can do the file rename any time after root, it doesn't have to be after the boot loader step, I put it there because you generally reboot after rooting and the next script also reboots you, so I chose that time because of that.

Last edited:

htc_softbank

Oct 17, 2010
It's because I said what the scripts you guys are running are doing. Trust me, I know the process, I know what it's doing, I know how to do it by hand without running scripts. The process I outlined above is correct.

Root the device (this must be done FIRST)
Flash the A200 bootloader (this is required for fastboot oem unlock to work)
Reboot back into android
Delete /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (if you don't you overwrite your custom recovery with stock)
Install your custom recovery

From this point on you can backup, flash new ROMs, do whatever you want.

This is correct. If you don't believe me, read the scripts.

edit: Maybe I should clarify WHY this is required in this order.

The A100 bootloader can NOT be unlocked. The unlocking bootloader script you run in fact puts the A200 bootloader onto your A100, allowing it to be unlocked. If you don't unlock, you can't boot custom recoveries or custom ROMs, you will get verified failed and it will sit there looking pretty. Useless.

The reason I mentioned deleting (or renaming for that matter) the /system/etc/install-recovery.sh file is BECAUSE it isn't mentioned where it should be in the directions, resulting in people flashing their new recovery, and then losing it again. You can go back and forth flashing recoveries all you want, removing this file is required to keep it past a reboot. The file is also used for the crossix mount swap mod, in which case you will leave it alone, it won't touch the recovery.

The first time I went through this entire thing, no one had mentioned the file being renamed or moved, and it overwrote my recovery, so I had to rename it, then flash again. I say to do it when I do to save that extra time and flashing. I'm helping you, trust me. Also as the file sits in /system/etc you need root and system R/W to mess with it, so again, Root, Unlock, Recovery. In that order.
Ah cool. I had no idea it does all that. I had a hard time getting the new recovery to stay after the boot, and I guess that's why.

Clockwork Recovery Mod is now on my A100 when I boot into recovery, but when I go to backup or install from SD I get a can't mount blah blah error. Does that mean I need to re-flash the recovery?

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Ah cool. I had no idea it does all that. I had a hard time getting the new recovery to stay after the boot, and I guess that's why.

Clockwork Recovery Mod is now on my A100 when I boot into recovery, but when I go to backup or install from SD I get a can't mount blah blah error. Does that mean I need to re-flash the recovery?

You can if you want, I would personally suggest twrp recovery, however the newer cwm works just as well. Its a personal choice, nothing against cwm, its been my go to recovery for years.

Also see about going into mounts and manually mounting partitions. Recovery also will fail to mount if there is any filesystem errors or corruption, so possibly consider formatting your SD card as fat32 on your PC.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II - CM10

htc_softbank

Oct 17, 2010
Cool, I went to twrp and it's much better. :)
Actually I discovered why nothing would load in recovery. I had encryption enabled so it messes with the recovery and partition. (hindsight is 20/20) ;p

luthifer

Dec 29, 2011
Spanish Town
So i went back to HC....and then redid this whole process...got to the point with the whole flashing of clockworkmod ..tried to go to recovery and I got the dead android....

I went ahead and did these instructions...STILL DEAD BOT...

I went ahead and renamed my install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.sh.bak and still had the dead android when I tried to get into recovery...

Then ....I went ahead and followed the procedure AGAIN and it worked...

So i'm going to conclude...after changing install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.sh.bak AND THEN doing the above will get this to work for anyone who is having problems..

After bricking and RMAing my tab I finally stumbled upon this. OP should edit his post and put this in

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Hope this is ok with you PTESMOKE...

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT THIS IS ONLY TO TRANSFER THE RECOVERY IMAGE... YOU MUST FOLLOW EVERYTHING UNTIL ITS TIME FOR CLOCKWORKMOD TO BE INSTALLED...

(You need to have Terminal Emulator for this to work, download if nessesary)​

*** You can download the file directly from your tablet, no need for a PC ***​

1.) Get the file attached and unzip to the /sdcard/ directory (NOT /external_sd/ which is your microSD)

2.) Open TERMINAL EMULATOR and type: su (This requires ROOT access)

3.) Then type: sh /mnt/sdcard/rec.sh
Let the fireworks burn my friends... No need for a PC to flash the RECOVERY IMAGE... jejeje
Enjoy
Ok, I finally got CWM 5.5.0.4 installed but I must have missed something bec ause I can use the volume up and down to move up and down the list but I do not know how to select a item. I have only worked with CMW 5.5.0.8 and it has on screen touch buttons. So, what did I do wrong this time? I am starting to get a inferiority complex.:eek:

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Ok, I finally got CWM 5.5.0.4 installed but I must have missed something bec ause I can use the volume up and down to move up and down the list but I do not know how to select a item. I have only worked with CMW 5.5.0.8 and it has on screen touch buttons. So, what did I do wrong this time? I am starting to get a inferiority complex.:eek:

Power button is enter as on most non touch cwm recoveries. Tap it don't hold it.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II.

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Power button is enter as on most non touch cwm recoveries. Tap it don't hold it.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II.

That may be true for most but when I was using a version with no CWM touch buttons I could aways use the home and back buttons on the task bar. Of course this was on a Viewsonic G tab with a 10" screen. I have had no experience with android phones.

max69power

Nov 4, 2011
florida
DISCLAIMER

Thank you to all the DEV'S who have made this possible.
waydownsouth,
gh123man,
hbwelch,
randomblame,
shchers,
Koush

I am in no way responsible for any damage done to your tablet. Follow the instructions!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here it is guys, Stock CWM Recovery for the ACER A100.

Before anything make sure you have the latest ICS leak C/O Vache, Root, and Unlocked Bootloader.

Official ICS Leak c/o Vache:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1510706

Root Instructions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1531646

Unlock your bootloader for fastboot, follow here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1557445

once you have done all of the above, you should be ready to flash this recovery. Make sure you have ADB up and working properly. And place the recovery.img in your working folder (see below)

1- Open a command prompt in your working folder (usually in your platform tools, mine is C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools) make sure you are administrator.

2- Connect Tablet to pc :) and get excited.

3- Type: adb devices (verify your Tab is connected and listed)

4- Type: adb reboot bootloader

5- Once bootloader is in fastboot type: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
You will see writing recovery, flashing recovery, etc.

6- Once flashed Type: fastboot reboot

7- Profit :)

This recovery has been tested by myself, and is the first in a series of goodies coming :) please be patient, dont ask for ETA's as the DEV's are EXTREMELY hard at work and don't even have this device themselves. Big THANKS to all of them!

Now keep in mind most mistakes are made in the location of where you opened the command prompt, just be sure the recovery.img is in the folder you are working in with the command prompt. If it isn't, well, it wont flash anything.

Download CWM Recovery 5.5.0.4 for A100: http://www.mediafire.com/?sgkiz31lg2jd19v

Download A100 ICS Gapps: http://www.mediafire.com/?db2rl0z6v8xc2a8

Follow A100 CM9 progress...Original thread here ---> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1597102

Please Hit thanks button of everyone involved, this couldn't be possible without this great community.

now what do i do with gapps

TheWreckHER

May 30, 2012
Ok so I have read all of these 14 pages and I can't find someone with a similar problem so let me explain.

I have this tablet. NEVER rooted, not unlocked, no CWM. This tab is completely stock with the official ICS. Never been plugged in any computer for anything.
It keeps getting stuck at the acer logo, and when i try recovery i get this pic

IMAG0039_zpsb975b966.jpg

what should i do first?

Last edited:

Theonew

Dec 4, 2010
Wherever I am
Ok so I have read all of these 14 pages and I can't find someone with a similar problem so let me explain.

I have this tablet. NEVER rooted, not unlocked, no CWM. This tab is completely stock with the official ICS. Never been plugged in any computer for anything.
It keeps getting stuck at the acer logo, and when i try recovery i get this pic

IMAG0039_zpsb975b966.jpg

what should i do first?
You could try placing an Update.zip on your external SD card then booting into recovery.

Reactions: Laugher19

tidewaterns

Oct 26, 2010
Virginia Beach, Virginia
You could try placing an Update.zip on your external SD card then booting into recovery.

I have the same problem except mine is running ICS and it is rooted and has an unlocked bootloader. When I run through the commands in adb everything works perfectly. When I hold down the power and volume down button to boot into recovery it boots up with the same screen shot as above but if I tap the home button it loads a recovery but not clockworkmod recovery. Any reason why this is happening?

justjackyl

Jul 28, 2012
I have the same problem except mine is running ICS and it is rooted and has an unlocked bootloader. When I run through the commands in adb everything works perfectly. When I hold down the power and volume down button to boot into recovery it boots up with the same screen shot as above but if I tap the home button it loads a recovery but not clockworkmod recovery. Any reason why this is happening?

What recovery?
Curious?

G2x-temasek CM7 build135.4 w/faux 054 kernel

Romman0

May 7, 2012

Make sure you first delete or rename the install-recovery.sh file, in the /etc directory. Then run through the procedures to flash the recovery.

Or use the tool in this thread to flash cwm. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1985945

Last edited:

JohnnyDanger

Dec 17, 2010
I'm running into the same problem as the two people above. I ran the RecoverX tool and same thing. I didn't delete the file you said though. Where do I find the /etc folder?

Sent from my A100 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER

Thank you to all the DEV'S who have made this possible.
    waydownsouth,
    gh123man,
    hbwelch,
    randomblame,
    shchers,
    Koush

I am in no way responsible for any damage done to your tablet. Follow the instructions!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here it is guys, Stock CWM Recovery for the ACER A100.

Before anything make sure you have the latest ICS leak C/O Vache, Root, and Unlocked Bootloader.

Official ICS Leak c/o Vache:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1510706

Root Instructions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1531646

Unlock your bootloader for fastboot, follow here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1557445

once you have done all of the above, you should be ready to flash this recovery. Make sure you have ADB up and working properly. And place the recovery.img in your working folder (see below)

1- Open a command prompt in your working folder (usually in your platform tools, mine is C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools) make sure you are administrator.

2- Connect Tablet to pc :) and get excited.

3- Type: adb devices (verify your Tab is connected and listed)

4- Type: adb reboot bootloader

5- Once bootloader is in fastboot type: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    You will see writing recovery, flashing recovery, etc.

6- Once flashed Type: fastboot reboot

7- Profit :)

This recovery has been tested by myself, and is the first in a series of goodies coming :) please be patient, dont ask for ETA's as the DEV's are EXTREMELY hard at work and don't even have this device themselves. Big THANKS to all of them!

Now keep in mind most mistakes are made in the location of where you opened the command prompt, just be sure the recovery.img is in the folder you are working in with the command prompt. If it isn't, well, it wont flash anything.

Download CWM Recovery 5.5.0.4 for A100: http://www.mediafire.com/?sgkiz31lg2jd19v

Download A100 ICS Gapps: http://www.mediafire.com/?db2rl0z6v8xc2a8

Follow A100 CM9 progress...Original thread here ---> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1597102

Please Hit thanks button of everyone involved, this couldn't be possible without this great community.
    Recovery IMG... easy as 1-2-3... jejeje

Hope this is ok with you PTESMOKE...

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT THIS IS ONLY TO TRANSFER THE RECOVERY IMAGE... YOU MUST FOLLOW EVERYTHING UNTIL ITS TIME FOR CLOCKWORKMOD TO BE INSTALLED...

(You need to have Terminal Emulator for this to work, download if nessesary)​

*** You can download the file directly from your tablet, no need for a PC ***​

1.) Get the file attached and unzip to the /sdcard/ directory (NOT /external_sd/ which is your microSD)

2.) Open TERMINAL EMULATOR and type: su (This requires ROOT access)

3.) Then type: sh /mnt/sdcard/rec.sh

Let the fireworks burn my friends... No need for a PC to flash the RECOVERY IMAGE... jejeje

Enjoy
    Thought I'd stop in to say hi.

Progress on this may be a little slow for the immediate future, as our primary focus has been getting the rom builds up for all the devices... the cwm based recovery is a by-product of the builds.
    Rest assured, we'll work on it as time allows.

In the meantime, you've got a recovery that won't complain when you flash this

Enjoy ;)
    edit: Check OP for new link, both SD cards mounting. usb mass storage in recovery will have to wait for now. backups should be correct size. thanks guys. For now, "flash from internal Sd" actually mounts your external SD, and selecting "flash zip from SD" mounts the internal SD. Not a big deal but...confusing for some :p any other bugs please report :)
    One observation is that it now makes backups to the internal SD card :p.
    I'm having a hard time. Its will start to load up then I get an android with a red exclamation mark..

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA
    Try this:
    Code:
    adb devices
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot erase recovery
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot reboot
    Then try to boot into recovery.
    edit: Check OP for new link, both SD cards mounting. usb mass storage in recovery will have to wait for now. backups should be correct size. thanks guys. For now, "flash from internal Sd" actually mounts your external SD, and selecting "flash zip from SD" mounts the internal SD. Not a big deal but...confusing for some :p any other bugs please report :)