• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY] CWM recovery 5.5.0.4 for locked JB bootloader

Search This thread

laufersteppenwolf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
Alright, as already mentioned, after working on an unsecured boot image, I was also working on the next, quite important step regardinig development on a device: a custom recovery.

I am happy to present to you a working CWM recovery 5.5.0.4 for locked JB bootloaders. This is not a bootstrap recovery, being installed inside the system partition, but a proper recovery located on its own recovery partition.

Requirements:
  • A rooted device
  • An unsecured boot image (for whatever reasons, I had some issues without)
  • A working adb environment

The installation is just as simple as the installation of the boot image:
  1. Download the recovery to the root of your internal sd (/sdcard)
  2. Run the following command from a root shell:
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/CWM_5.5.0.4_d680.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=27648
  3. Reboot into recovery and be happy ;)

How to boot into recovery:
You can either use the "adb reboot recovery" command when you're in the system, or when the phone is off and doesn't boot anymore:
  • Press Vol - and power at the same time and keep it pressed until there appears a screen asking you to perform a factory reset. (It can take well over 5 seconds, thanks to @hernankano I kept looking and noticed that I stopped pressing the buttons too early)
  • Ignore the warnings and continue by pressing the power button twice
  • Even though the screen told you it would have run a factory reset, it didn't. It just booted into CWM.

But as it's an initial release, there are still some bugs:
  • Internal SD is not mountable
  • You need at least a working boot image for booting into recovery, as I found no other way than using "adb reboot recovery" to get into recovery. If you know the button combo, please let me know, because none of which I have tried worked.
  • Please let me know if you find some more issues.

And for GPL reasons, I have used the stock zImage.

Attachments

• CWM_5.5.0.4_d680.img
    4.7 MB · Views: 5,126
Last edited:

hernankano

CWM LG G Pro Lite

great job, confirmed that works on d685, and probably works on d686 to

TO ENTER IN CWMRECOVERY (JB)
PRESS VOLUME UP + VOLUMEDOWN + POWER,
KEEP UNTIL YOU SEE THE FACTORY RESET MESSAGE
THEN PRES PWR TWO TIMES AND THE PHONE WILL ENTER ON CWM

TO ENTER IN CWMRECOVERY (KK)
PRESS VOLUME DOWN KEY + POWER KEY
KEEP UNTIL YOU SEE THE LG LOGO THEN RELASE POWER, AND PRES POWER AGAIN
YOU WILL SEE THE FACTORY RESET MESSAGE
THEN PRES PWR TWO TIMES AND THE PHONE WILL ENTER ON CWM

Last edited:

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
Hi
Great news for The users

So, we are talking about The mt6577 MTK soC variant right?

If so i can give you an hand on The development if you need.
I dont own this device, but i've been working with this device full (KK) source for The past months...

Regards

laufersteppenwolf

Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
Hi
Great news for The users

So, we are talking about The mt6577 MTK soC variant right?

If so i can give you an hand on The development if you need.
I dont own this device, but i've been working with this device full (KK) source for The past months...

Regards

Hey

That'd be great :) And yeah, it's the mt6577 chipset.
I have just started working on the device last thursday, which means I'm still kinda new to the MTK world ;) (Though I already hate those kernel sources...)
I'm still on JB for various reasons, but will eventually upgrade to KK as well ;)

Looking forward working with you :)

Guillermo..

Mar 4, 2015
hola

TO ENTER IN CWMRECOVERY PRESS VOLUM UP + VOLUMEDOWN + POWER,
THEN PRES PWR TWO TIMES AND THE PHONE WILL ONLY ENTER ON CWM WHITHOUT MAKE FACTORY RESET.

podrán crear alguna rom lollipop? para ese modelo d680
de antemano gracias :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Guysho_2112

miguel-rocha-

Jun 13, 2013
@laufersteppenwolf hi excellent work thank you very much
The recovery cwm also works on android 4.4.2 (credits mario jacobo) just install the cwm.img, turn off and press like you're doing hard restet (tanks to hernankano) that's it
everything works, except the bug you mention

Reactions: Guysho_2112

RichardCorpseMT

Mar 7, 2015
Excelente

Funciona en LG G Pro Lite D680 Esperemos que los desarrolladores sigan así, y comiencen a desarrollar alguna rom ya sea kitkat o lollipop!

etxeide

Mar 12, 2010
Forum rules pleaseee
4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature).

Reactions: miguel-rocha-

fedz14

Oct 13, 2012
Puebla
Last edited by a moderator:

laufersteppenwolf

Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
I´m a big fan of custom roms..and I hope you can make a custom rom very soon!!

Keep up with the great effort!!!

Well, I have already been thinking on how to start. I'm still torn between running KK as a custom ROM or an older version. Because let's face it, the device is anything but a flagship device ;) Which means older versions are probably gonna run smoother. On the other hand, a proper KK custom ROM will certainly be snappier than official KK. The only issue is getting to the point of a "proper" custom ROM.
I am personally still running the JB firmware. But I am planning to give KK a shot as soon as I have enough time. (just a quick question, what's the best way to root the KK firmware?)

A quick reminder though: this is not my main device, only ma dev device, which means it's not my highest priority.
I will certainly keep on working on it, though ;)

komunistvb

May 3, 2009
Tested CWM_5.5.0.4_d680.img on LG G686 with D68620d-EUR-XX ROM it is 4.4.2 and it works.
Only external SD is in option for BECKUP.
Unsecured boot.img for V10 is not flash only CWM_5.5.0.4_d680.img beacose i am on D68620d-EUR-XX ROM it 20d version.
Thanks for your hard work hope that you will provide Unsecured boot.img for V20d.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright, as already mentioned, after working on an unsecured boot image, I was also working on the next, quite important step regardinig development on a device: a custom recovery.

I am happy to present to you a working CWM recovery 5.5.0.4 for locked JB bootloaders. This is not a bootstrap recovery, being installed inside the system partition, but a proper recovery located on its own recovery partition.

Requirements:
    • A rooted device
    • An unsecured boot image (for whatever reasons, I had some issues without)
    • A working adb environment

The installation is just as simple as the installation of the boot image:
    1. Download the recovery to the root of your internal sd (/sdcard)
    2. Run the following command from a root shell:
      Code:
      dd if=/sdcard/CWM_5.5.0.4_d680.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=27648
    3. Reboot into recovery and be happy ;)

How to boot into recovery:
    You can either use the "adb reboot recovery" command when you're in the system, or when the phone is off and doesn't boot anymore:
    • Press Vol - and power at the same time and keep it pressed until there appears a screen asking you to perform a factory reset. (It can take well over 5 seconds, thanks to @hernankano I kept looking and noticed that I stopped pressing the buttons too early)
    • Ignore the warnings and continue by pressing the power button twice
    • Even though the screen told you it would have run a factory reset, it didn't. It just booted into CWM.

But as it's an initial release, there are still some bugs:
    • Internal SD is not mountable
    • You need at least a working boot image for booting into recovery, as I found no other way than using "adb reboot recovery" to get into recovery. If you know the button combo, please let me know, because none of which I have tried worked.
    • Please let me know if you find some more issues.

And for GPL reasons, I have used the stock zImage.
    how to install recovery for kitkat on D686 ?

For kitkat first of all you need to be root, you need to install Flashifly, select the option "Recovery image" and select CWM 5.5.0.4 by laufersteppenwolf and finaly reboot the device.

I let you a video where is explain how to do this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCiesseauE

I hope this help you, and sorry for my bad english
    I´m a big fan of custom roms..and I hope you can make a custom rom very soon!!

Keep up with the great effort!!!

Well, I have already been thinking on how to start. I'm still torn between running KK as a custom ROM or an older version. Because let's face it, the device is anything but a flagship device ;) Which means older versions are probably gonna run smoother. On the other hand, a proper KK custom ROM will certainly be snappier than official KK. The only issue is getting to the point of a "proper" custom ROM.
    I am personally still running the JB firmware. But I am planning to give KK a shot as soon as I have enough time. (just a quick question, what's the best way to root the KK firmware?)

A quick reminder though: this is not my main device, only ma dev device, which means it's not my highest priority.
    I will certainly keep on working on it, though ;)
    hola

TO ENTER IN CWMRECOVERY PRESS VOLUM UP + VOLUMEDOWN + POWER,
    THEN PRES PWR TWO TIMES AND THE PHONE WILL ONLY ENTER ON CWM WHITHOUT MAKE FACTORY RESET.

podrán crear alguna rom lollipop? para ese modelo d680
    de antemano gracias :)
    @laufersteppenwolf hi excellent work thank you very much
    The recovery cwm also works on android 4.4.2 (credits mario jacobo) just install the cwm.img, turn off and press like you're doing hard restet (tanks to hernankano) that's it
    everything works, except the bug you mention