[RECOVERY] CWM Recovery 6.0.5.1.4a

Search This thread

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
THIS IS ONLY FOR FIRETV1 RUNNING FIREOS3 WITH UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER!

It's finally here! Recovery for the Fire TV. This is based off of CWM and the way versions will work is I will append an extra digit to the end of the CWM version. So 6.0.5.0.0 is my first release based off of 6.0.5.0. I will also be releasing a recovery based off of TWRP, at some point.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might. Of course, this requires that you are rooted to begin with.

Installation

1. Unlock the bootloader: You must first unlock your bootloader. Failing to do this will result in recovery not working.
  2. Copy: Copy the recovery.img to Fire TV via adb, or whatever else you like.
  3. Flash: From an adb shell, run
    Code:
    su
    to get to root and then
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    Replacing /sdcard/recovery.img with the directory and name of file that you copied.
  4. Reboot:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
  5. Profit

Upgrade
The same as installation, just skip step 1.

Notes
Note that it does take a few seconds for it to start. The screen will be black, don't be alarmed. As long as the Amazon logo disappears, it is loading.

This comes with DHCP enabled ethernet, please don't ask about wifi. Maybe at some point I'll get that working, but for now it's not going to happen. When recovery starts, it will print out it's IP address. Note that this might be different from the one it gets while booted into the OS. This works with USB storage and USB input devices. Right now, it does not support input hotplug so unless you have a keyboard plugged in when it boots, it won't work. This will be fixed. Unpowered USB hubs are hit or miss. Powered should always work.

There are protections against flashing an unmodified stock image. Under no circumstances should you ever attempt to flash such an image. You can download modified stock images here.

[size=+2]If something fails to flash DO NOT reboot. Try again and/or retransfer the file over adb.[/size]

AOSP, custom kernels, etc
When using custom kernels be extra careful. If you are developing a kernel, it is best to flash recovery to the boot partition and the new kernel to test to the recovery partition. There is no known way of booting into recovery if your kernel can't boot. In the future, I plan on releasing a "boot menu" program to help with this situation.

USB Storage
USB storage should be working. When you go to the backup/restore menu, /storage/usbdisk should be one of the options. When you go to the install screen /storage/usbdisk should be one of the updates. FAT32 and ext4 should work. NTFS formatted partitions will not show up as an option.

Overscan
To accommodate people who need to apply overscan for their TV, I have enabled configurable overscan. By default it is disabled. You can control the amount of overscan either with FastForward and Rewind buttons or the 1 and 2 buttons. It will save it so the next time it reboots it will remember your choice.

adb sideload
Installing zips with sideload is the easiest method. Select sideload as the option to install, then from your computer run adb connect followed by adb sideload.

Controlling from the commandline
If you have no keyboard or cannot connect a keyboard, I wrote a little program called recovery-input that allows you to control recovery from an adb shell. @AFTVnews.com wrote a guide at http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-remotely-control-clockworkmod-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-using-adb/

[size=+2]Finally, thanks to everyone who has donated![/size]

Changelog and Downloads:

• Nov 02, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.4a (md5sum: 67b1a13b7bec645cb9291e80478d4635)
    • Added the missing recovery-input program
  • Nov 01, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.4 (md5sum: 9ba1ee7a914fad9e9c5509db4677e3e9)
    • Fix ext4 external usb support.
    • Removed kernel patching. This recovery now REQUIRES the bootloader to be unlocked.
  • Oct 19, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.3 (md5sum: 4984a2ae6489422298557d32cd2386b7)
    • Enable vi in busybox
    • Enable adjustable overscan
    • Allow flashing custom kernels
  • Oct 05, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.2 (md5sum: ae21891b4fd1e58c513ae5cdd09f4d93)
    • Print the current IP address on start
    • Disable automatic flashing
    • Disable install-recovery warning
    • Don't show unmountable NTFS partitions
  • Sep 27, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.1 (md5sum: bd490fd43f287b7ea01a6cc9d00b2232)
    • Fixed USB storage behind a hub
  • Sep 26, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.0 (md5sum: f82eccfd3638909f02eea1ca59e1b2a2)
    • Fixed USB storage
    • Enabled overscan
    • adb sideload over network
    • Larger font
  • Sep 19, 2014 - 6.0.5.0.0 (md5sum: 5c126edda9ea12696bebee7e368841e5)
    • First release

Last edited:

roligov

Dec 29, 2012
London
Awesome! Thanks so much for your hard work Rbox :good: :highfive:

Edit:
Installed without issues. Remote not working as expected so I switched to the K400 and works 100% :) Great work, donated $10 for your efforts!

Last edited:

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com
Here are some guides with step by step instructions:

How to install ClockworkMod Custom Recovery on the Amazon Fire TV
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-clockworkmod-custom-recovery-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

How to update ClockworkMod Custom Recovery on the Amazon Fire TV
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-update-clockworkmod-custom-recovery-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

How to remotely control ClockworkMod on the Amazon Fire TV using ADB
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-remotely-control-clockworkmod-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-using-adb/

How to install a Custom ROM Image on the Amazon Fire TV
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-a-custom-rom-image-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

How to update a Rooted Amazon Fire TV to the Latest Version Without Losing Root
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-upda...tv-to-the-latest-version-without-losing-root/

How to Revert back to Stock Recovery and Stock Software
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-revert-an-amazon-fire-tv-back-to-stock-recovery-and-stock-software/

Last edited:

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
Should adb sideload work over tcpip rather than just usb?

If so it doesn't work for me; soon as it's toggled in recovery the firetv isn't accessable over adb tcpip anymore.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Should adb sideload work over tcpip rather than just usb?

If so it doesn't work for me; soon as it's toggled in recovery the firetv isn't accessable over adb tcpip anymore.

I never tested it. The problem with sideload is I believe it restarts the adb daemon. I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong with it.

Update: So I just tested it and looked in to the code. It looks like when recovery starts, it uses the full adbd. But when you go to do a sideload, it switches to the internal version called minadbd. minadbd only supports USB. So for the next version I will add in network support.

Last edited:

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com
Any way to use CWM to make a backup when there isn't enough free internal memory for the backup files? Like backing up to a mounted USB drive or network location.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Any way to use CWM to make a backup when there isn't enough free internal memory for the backup files? Like backing up to a mounted USB drive or network location.

If you have a USB drive plugged in before it starts, it *should* see it. I haven't tested it in a while but it was working at one point. But like I said, I was having problems getting it to work with a hub with a flash drive and a keyboard. I suppose if you created a commands file that told it to backup to the external storage and reboot afterwards, it wouldn't need a keyboard plugged in. If you can't get your USB drive to work, I'll figure out the commands file.

Reactions: CLran619

CLran619

Jan 5, 2013
san diego
nice job :) i thought before summer ended we would have a recovery. i cant wait for a ROM for the FTV . fingers crossed. also can i use firmware version 51.1.0.1 instead of 51.1.0.2? id rather not "update" if it isn't necessary and im guessing the difference between the two makes no difference.

edit: dosent matter i upgraded and installed. recovery working just fine. thank u rbox.

Last edited:

alex1301

Sep 11, 2011
Nuremberg
Xiaomi Mi 11
I don't have the fire TV yet and I don't know anything about the software of this thing, but wouldn't it be easier if we can boot into fastboot? With that every firmware version could be flashed. There was a fastboot cable for the fire tablet. Can't we build something like this for the fire tv?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I don't have the fire TV yet and I don't know anything about the software of this thing, but wouldn't it be easier if we can boot into fastboot? With that every firmware version could be flashed. There was a fastboot cable for the fire tablet. Can't we build something like this for the fire tv?

Yes, it would be easier. And a fastboot cable for the Fire TV is just a plain USB A to A cable. But the bootloader is locked and prevents one from using fastboot boot and fastboot flash.

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com
Is there anyway to boot into ClockworkMod recovery other than via the "adb reboot recovery" command? I'm guessing the Alt+PrintScreen trick would take you there, yes? Any other ways?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS ONLY FOR FIRETV1 RUNNING FIREOS3 WITH UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER!

It's finally here! Recovery for the Fire TV. This is based off of CWM and the way versions will work is I will append an extra digit to the end of the CWM version. So 6.0.5.0.0 is my first release based off of 6.0.5.0. I will also be releasing a recovery based off of TWRP, at some point.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might. Of course, this requires that you are rooted to begin with.

Installation

1. Unlock the bootloader: You must first unlock your bootloader. Failing to do this will result in recovery not working.
    2. Copy: Copy the recovery.img to Fire TV via adb, or whatever else you like.
    3. Flash: From an adb shell, run
      Code:
      su
      to get to root and then
      Code:
      dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
      Replacing /sdcard/recovery.img with the directory and name of file that you copied.
    4. Reboot:
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
    5. Profit

Upgrade
    The same as installation, just skip step 1.

Notes
    Note that it does take a few seconds for it to start. The screen will be black, don't be alarmed. As long as the Amazon logo disappears, it is loading.

This comes with DHCP enabled ethernet, please don't ask about wifi. Maybe at some point I'll get that working, but for now it's not going to happen. When recovery starts, it will print out it's IP address. Note that this might be different from the one it gets while booted into the OS. This works with USB storage and USB input devices. Right now, it does not support input hotplug so unless you have a keyboard plugged in when it boots, it won't work. This will be fixed. Unpowered USB hubs are hit or miss. Powered should always work.

There are protections against flashing an unmodified stock image. Under no circumstances should you ever attempt to flash such an image. You can download modified stock images here.

[size=+2]If something fails to flash DO NOT reboot. Try again and/or retransfer the file over adb.[/size]

AOSP, custom kernels, etc
    When using custom kernels be extra careful. If you are developing a kernel, it is best to flash recovery to the boot partition and the new kernel to test to the recovery partition. There is no known way of booting into recovery if your kernel can't boot. In the future, I plan on releasing a "boot menu" program to help with this situation.

USB Storage
    USB storage should be working. When you go to the backup/restore menu, /storage/usbdisk should be one of the options. When you go to the install screen /storage/usbdisk should be one of the updates. FAT32 and ext4 should work. NTFS formatted partitions will not show up as an option.

Overscan
    To accommodate people who need to apply overscan for their TV, I have enabled configurable overscan. By default it is disabled. You can control the amount of overscan either with FastForward and Rewind buttons or the 1 and 2 buttons. It will save it so the next time it reboots it will remember your choice.

adb sideload
    Installing zips with sideload is the easiest method. Select sideload as the option to install, then from your computer run adb connect followed by adb sideload.

Controlling from the commandline
    If you have no keyboard or cannot connect a keyboard, I wrote a little program called recovery-input that allows you to control recovery from an adb shell. @AFTVnews.com wrote a guide at http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-remotely-control-clockworkmod-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-using-adb/

[size=+2]Finally, thanks to everyone who has donated![/size]

Changelog and Downloads:

• Nov 02, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.4a (md5sum: 67b1a13b7bec645cb9291e80478d4635)
      • Added the missing recovery-input program
    • Nov 01, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.4 (md5sum: 9ba1ee7a914fad9e9c5509db4677e3e9)
      • Fix ext4 external usb support.
      • Removed kernel patching. This recovery now REQUIRES the bootloader to be unlocked.
    • Oct 19, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.3 (md5sum: 4984a2ae6489422298557d32cd2386b7)
      • Enable vi in busybox
      • Enable adjustable overscan
      • Allow flashing custom kernels
    • Oct 05, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.2 (md5sum: ae21891b4fd1e58c513ae5cdd09f4d93)
      • Print the current IP address on start
      • Disable automatic flashing
      • Disable install-recovery warning
      • Don't show unmountable NTFS partitions
    • Sep 27, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.1 (md5sum: bd490fd43f287b7ea01a6cc9d00b2232)
      • Fixed USB storage behind a hub
    • Sep 26, 2014 - 6.0.5.1.0 (md5sum: f82eccfd3638909f02eea1ca59e1b2a2)
      • Fixed USB storage
      • Enabled overscan
      • adb sideload over network
      • Larger font
    • Sep 19, 2014 - 6.0.5.0.0 (md5sum: 5c126edda9ea12696bebee7e368841e5)
      • First release

I have updated the OP with 6.0.5.1.2. Now, you don't have to guess what the IP address is, it will print it out when it starts. Also, since there have been issues with automatically flashing update.zip in /cache, I have disabled that. Also, a warning about install-recovery.sh was confusing, so I have removed that as well. Finally, NTFS partitions should no longer trigger recovery to show /storage/usbdisk as a valid option. It should only show up with FAT32 formatted partitions.

I have updated the OP with 6.0.5.1.0. It seemed like some people needed overscan, so I have added it. It's not the best right now, but I can make it adjustable if people so desire. I've also fixed USB storage, so I'd like to know if people can actually get it working with hubs or if connecting it directly is required. Finally, someone asked about adb sideload, and I have gotten that to work as well.

I'd also like to thank everyone who has donated. It's much appreciated.
    Here are some guides with step by step instructions:

How to install ClockworkMod Custom Recovery on the Amazon Fire TV
    http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-clockworkmod-custom-recovery-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

How to update ClockworkMod Custom Recovery on the Amazon Fire TV
    http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-update-clockworkmod-custom-recovery-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

How to remotely control ClockworkMod on the Amazon Fire TV using ADB
    http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-remotely-control-clockworkmod-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-using-adb/

How to install a Custom ROM Image on the Amazon Fire TV
    http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-a-custom-rom-image-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

How to update a Rooted Amazon Fire TV to the Latest Version Without Losing Root
    http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-upda...tv-to-the-latest-version-without-losing-root/

How to Revert back to Stock Recovery and Stock Software
    http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-revert-an-amazon-fire-tv-back-to-stock-recovery-and-stock-software/
    You're welcome, your work is much appreciated! Looking forward to the new build.

I updated the OP with 6.0.5.1.1. /storage/usbdisk should show up for you now.