Recovery Disappears

Search This thread

finnroth69

Mar 16, 2020
I bought a phone (ZTE 2050) that has next to nothing as far as development goes. I have tried to install TWRP recovery but it had never actually worked. I have tried using various tools that port recovery to MTK devices. None of them have worked. I have been able to achieve root through Magisk. However, when I do, I no longer have the stock recovery either. There are several other problems that happen as well, but nothing I cannot work around. What could I be doing that is causing me to lose recovery? The chipset is MTK6771 and it is an ARM-V8 64 bit and it is running Android 9. Literally the only things I'm able to find online regarding this phone is the sites that I believe only copy and paste from other phones whether the root method actually works out not. Almost everything tells me to use MTK Tool but that definitely doesn't work. I have issues with Smart Phone Flash Tool working as well despite all drivers being installed correctly. The only way I have been able to achieve root is through unlocking the Bootloader and flashing. And even though I follow the instructions on commands, I still lose the stock recovery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

finnroth69

Mar 16, 2020
Reflash phone's stock ROM.
I have flashed the stock system at least 50 times by now. I have tried flashing everything in different orders as well. When I have root, it always removes the recovery. When I open my file manager, I use Solid Explorer, it tells me there is no root file system. I have tried other root file managers as well. They all tell me the same thing.

xdabookam

Feb 8, 2015
I've got a $100 Chinese MTK phone and the one redeeming feature is that once the bootloader is unlocked, you can fastboot over USB (bootstrap).
I used SP flash tool to backup the ROM and WwR_MTK to extract the partitions allowing me to make my own custom recovery to boot with fastboot. Briefly, I found a twrp recovery online for another MTK phone and just played around with zImage & initrd.
Shell commands, dmesg, cat /proc/partitions & blkid on the phone come in handy to track down in partition layout. No need to flash anything so don't get issues with /system/bin/install-recovery.sh

Reactions: finnroth69

finnroth69

Mar 16, 2020
I've got a $100 Chinese MTK phone and the one redeeming feature is that once the bootloader is unlocked, you can fastboot over USB (bootstrap).
I used SP flash tool to backup the ROM and WwR_MTK to extract the partitions allowing me to make my own custom recovery to boot with fastboot. Briefly, I found a twrp recovery online for another MTK phone and just played around with zImage & initrd.
Shell commands, dmesg, cat /proc/partitions & blkid on the phone come in handy to track down in partition layout. No need to flash anything so don't get issues with /system/bin/install-recovery.sh
I'll give that a shot. I just tried to open my root file system and it told me that BusyBox isn't installed. I thought I had read that BusyBox wasn't necessary with Magisk. Last time I tried to install a BusyBox, it screwed the whole system up. Is there one you would suggest? I've seriously messed with this phone 1000x's now and it's made me giggle shy to do anything to it at the moment.

xdabookam

Feb 8, 2015
Some devices have 'toolbox' or 'toybox' as a limited replacement for busybox (ls -al /bin/ls should reveal what binary the sym link points to).
I've used the ru.meefik.busybox app from the play store.
the whole system up. Is there one you would suggest? I've seriously messed with this phone 1000x's now and it's made me giggle shy to do anything to it at the moment.

finnroth69

Mar 16, 2020
Some devices have 'toolbox' or 'toybox' as a limited replacement for busybox (ls -al /bin/ls should reveal what binary the sym link points to).

Ok, yeah I just checked it and it says toybox.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-01-20-17-56-58~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-20-17-56-58~2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2

finnroth69

Mar 16, 2020
I rebooted and it started acting ok once again. When I tried to open my file manager to access to root file system, this is still the message I got even though I have not uninstalled the BusyBox.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-01-20-18-03-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-20-18-03-09.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 3

finnroth69

Mar 16, 2020
I just opened the BusyBox app and it says it isn't installed even though I have not uninstalled it either.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-01-20-18-12-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-20-18-12-45.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 2

xdabookam

Feb 8, 2015
I just opened the BusyBox app and it says it isn't installed even though I have not uninstalled it either.
Busybox is just a tool / binary executable command to replace missing
linux commands. You don't need it installed on the phone, just access to the binary to run commands in the shell (copy it from /data/app/....) - its statically linked so should run without issue in the shell.

finnroth69

Mar 16, 2020
linux commands. You don't need it installed on the phone, just access to the binary to run commands in the shell (copy it from /data/app/....) - its statically linked so should run without issue in the shell.
I can't copy it it. It won't allow me into the root file system.
I just installed another BusyBox and the system is running fine afterwards, but this is the message I get when trying to open the root file system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-01-21-13-59-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-21-13-59-08.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2

finnroth69

Mar 16, 2020
I pulled up the currently installed binary installed through shell.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-01-21-14-05-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-21-14-05-13.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2022-01-21-14-05-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-21-14-05-30.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.