• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][DUALBOOT][MAGISK][V6.2] TWRP/OrangeFox for the OnePlus 6/6t [25-Sep-2021]

Search This thread

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
FYI

I am just testing my Dualboot with creating EFI and NTFS Windows Partitions.
Have successfully repartitioned to EFI, NTFS, Android (ext4) partitions now and can boot the UEFI Shell from Windows.

I am using the Renegate Project Windows 11 on ARM for this. :)
So the next Update of my Dualboot will have options to create the EFI, NTFS partitions if someone wants to try it out with the above mentioned project.

Last edited:

mht21

Nov 11, 2015
FYI

Have successfully repartitioned to EFI, NTFS, Android (ext4) partitions now and can boot the UEFI Shell from Windows.

So the next Update of my Dualboot will have options to create the EFI, NTFS partitions if someone wants to try it out with the above mentioned project.
Cool.btw it would be awasome to see mass storage function of oneplus as button option ,just like mtp button in mount page.it will be much easier deploy windows and creat efi bcd on pc. i already can use it . by unpacking cpio and adding these lines under "on property:sys.usb.ffs.ready=1 && property:sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" in init.recovery.usb.rc file
symlink /config/usb_gadget/g1/functions/mass_storage.0 /config/usb_gadget/g1/configs/b.1/f3 write /config/usb_gadget/g1/functions/mass_storage.0/lun.0/cdrom 0 write /config/usb_gadget/g1/functions/mass_storage.0/lun.0/removable 1 write /config/usb_gadget/g1/functions/mass_storage.0/lun.0/ro 0 write /config/usb_gadget/g1/functions/mass_storage.0/lun.0/file "/dev/block/sda"

Last edited:
Reactions: Wishmasterflo

JedidroidX

Jan 30, 2015
Ok, I thought this project was abandoned but now I see a new update. I'm really surprised! Has anyone successfully flashed and booted 2 different roms on an OP devices? If so, which roms? And what a creative project, very innovative!

taadow1030

Nov 22, 2010
Hello. 1st, thank you very much @Wishmasterflo for your time and effort in bringing this to our device. I've read countless pages in this thread and also watched the video, but I'm still a little confused. I am currently on OOS 10. If I want to keep my current ROM, can I just flash the dual boot TWRP zip, select A/B/C layout to use common partition, install a secondary ROM on the opposite slot, flash Dual boot TWRP again as per the instructions and then boot into both ROMs? Or will I have to start completely over and flash OOS10 again, format data, etc and then go from there? Please advise whenever it is convenient for you.

Last edited:

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
Hello. 1st, thank you very much @Wishmasterflo for your time and effort in bringing this to our device. I've read countless pages in this thread and also watched the video, but I'm still a little confused. I am currently on OOS 10. If I want to keep my current ROM, can I just flash the dual boot TWRP zip, select A/B/C layout to use common partition, install a secondary ROM on the opposite slot, flash Dual boot TWRP again as per the instructions and then boot into both ROMs? Or will I have to start completely over and flash OOS10 again, format data, etc and then go from there? Please advise whenever it is convenient for you.
Hello

Thanks.
Yes you will have to reflash and format data on both slots.

So far this dualboot system is great. Loaded Siberia for my daily, Great rom. and loaded lineageos 18.1 with nethunter to toy around with. Hadn't updated my phone in over 2 years and decided it was time when I made a mess of the filesystem toying around with things.

I have found that when installing a new rom I get a bootloop unless I follow this exactly:

Flash oos android v.10
Flash rom
Flash dualboot twrp
Reboot to opposite slot
Flash Gapps/other zips (if desired)
Format
Reboot to system

I ran into a few other issues that were easy to figure out between this thread and google but that one issue bugged me. New rom just wouldn't boot unless I flashed stock rom first.

Anyone else notice slow shutdown/reboot?

I'm having trouble with slow rebooting and shut down. It takes just at a minute and a half between hitting reboot and the phone actually shutting down. This happens with both roms. I've tried disabling firewall in case something was hanging there with no luck. Not sure if its helpful but the last few lines of the logcat seem like they may be on to something. After the last line on the logcat it still takes another minute to reboot. Any idea on how to troubleshoot this further?

Logcat
09-01 18:52:49.218 564 564 I vold : Unmounting /mnt/installer/0/emulated/0/Android/obb
09-01 18:52:49.266 564 564 I vold : Unmounting /mnt/user/0/emulated/0/Android/data
09-01 18:52:49.326 564 564 I vold : Unmounted /mnt/user/0/emulated/0/Android/data
09-01 18:52:49.326 564 564 I vold : Unmounting /mnt/user/0/emulated/0/Android/obb
09-01 18:52:49.406 564 564 I vold : Unmounted /mnt/user/0/emulated/0/Android/obb
09-01 18:52:49.406 564 564 I vold : Unmounting pass_through_path /mnt/pass_through/0/emulated
09-01 18:52:49.556 564 564 I vold : ForceUnmount failed: Device or resource busy
09-01 18:52:49.556 564 564 E vold : Failed to unmount /mnt/pass_through/0/emulated
09-01 18:52:49.556 564 564 I vold : Unmounting fuse path /mnt/user/0/emulated
09-01 18:53:09.850 564 564 I vold : ForceUnmount failed: Device or resource busy

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
So far this dualboot system is great. Loaded Siberia for my daily, Great rom. and loaded lineageos 18.1 with nethunter to toy around with. Hadn't updated my phone in over 2 years and decided it was time when I made a mess of the filesystem toying around with things.

I have found that when installing a new rom I get a bootloop unless I follow this exactly:

Flash oos android v.10
Flash rom
Flash dualboot twrp
Reboot to opposite slot
Flash Gapps/other zips (if desired)
Format
Reboot to system

I ran into a few other issues that were easy to figure out between this thread and google but that one issue bugged me. New rom just wouldn't boot unless I flashed stock rom first.

Anyone else notice slow shutdown/reboot?

I'm having trouble with slow rebooting and shut down. It takes just at a minute and a half between hitting reboot and the phone actually shutting down. This happens with both roms. I've tried disabling firewall in case something was hanging there with no luck. Not sure if its helpful but the last few lines of the logcat seem like they may be on to something. After the last line on the logcat it still takes another minute to reboot. Any idea on how to troubleshoot this further?

Logcat
09-01 18:52:49.218 564 564 I vold : Unmounting /mnt/installer/0/emulated/0/Android/obb
09-01 18:52:49.266 564 564 I vold : Unmounting /mnt/user/0/emulated/0/Android/data
09-01 18:52:49.326 564 564 I vold : Unmounted /mnt/user/0/emulated/0/Android/data
09-01 18:52:49.326 564 564 I vold : Unmounting /mnt/user/0/emulated/0/Android/obb
09-01 18:52:49.406 564 564 I vold : Unmounted /mnt/user/0/emulated/0/Android/obb
09-01 18:52:49.406 564 564 I vold : Unmounting pass_through_path /mnt/pass_through/0/emulated
09-01 18:52:49.556 564 564 I vold : ForceUnmount failed: Device or resource busy
09-01 18:52:49.556 564 564 E vold : Failed to unmount /mnt/pass_through/0/emulated
09-01 18:52:49.556 564 564 I vold : Unmounting fuse path /mnt/user/0/emulated
09-01 18:53:09.850 564 564 I vold : ForceUnmount failed: Device or resource busy
Hello

Regarding the shutdown/reboot that is due to common data is taking long time to unmount during normal reboot/shutdown.
It is fixed/working when doing the reboot through the Dualboot companion app.

Hello

Regarding the shutdown/reboot that is due to common data is taking long time to unmount during normal reboot/shutdown.
It is fixed/working when doing the reboot through the Dualboot companion app.
That worked! Thanks for the info. Finally got everything working the way I want. I did try and search my problem before and after asking and still didn't find any reference to rebooting being slow using standard power menu.

So, related question, when rebooting using Dualboot companion options in the device controls in power menu it is still slow is this normal? It works fine in the app itself. Just figured the power menu control would execute the same command giving the same result as the in app buttons.

And finally, is it possible to mount CommonData as a separate drive? I know its probly not easy otherwise it would have likely been done that way from the start just curious why it isn't.

I'm just getting into learning linux filesystems, I was just thinking when I plug in a partitioned drive on a pc each partition shows up as its own drive. I'd imagine that might help any mounting/unmounting issues and would also accurately reflect the drive capacities and usage. I probly wouldn't ask if I knew more about the android system and filesystem but I look forward to learning what I can..

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
That worked! Thanks for the info. Finally got everything working the way I want. I did try and search my problem before and after asking and still didn't find any reference to rebooting being slow using standard power menu.

So, related question, when rebooting using Dualboot companion options in the device controls in power menu it is still slow is this normal? It works fine in the app itself. Just figured the power menu control would execute the same command giving the same result as the in app buttons.

And finally, is it possible to mount CommonData as a separate drive? I know its probly not easy otherwise it would have likely been done that way from the start just curious why it isn't.

I'm just getting into learning linux filesystems, I was just thinking when I plug in a partitioned drive on a pc each partition shows up as its own drive. I'd imagine that might help any mounting/unmounting issues and would also accurately reflect the drive capacities and usage. I probly wouldn't ask if I knew more about the android system and filesystem but I look forward to learning what I can..
Yes the device controls in the Power menu are executing the same as the Dualboot Companion app.
Not sure if it is so easy to mount that as a seperate drive.
Will have to take a look at that.

Firsr I will implement othernew things with V6.2 and trying to get Magisk 23.0 added into the Dualboot.
I am back from vacation on monday and then I will have a bit more time again to take a look st all this and release the new Version hopefully soon.
In that it is also added that it can create the EFI/Windows partitions needed to boot Windows for ARM64.

Reactions: parzk

brandon79

Ok guys I need help.
I have msm tooled this one plus 6t so many times. It's just a phone I use as a back up but wanna get it fixed.
I used dual boot before with zero issues and thanks to the devs and everyone involved.
But now I go through the process msm, unlock, boot twrp, flash dual boot zip, reboot recovery, flash latest oos, flash Rom 1, flash dual boot zip, reboot recovery and here is the problem it never reboots to recovery. It hangs or something on the bootloader has been unlocked screen.
Ok then fastboot mode reboot recovery and it goes to bootloader screen again like it's going to boot then it doesn't screen goes black then Qualcomm crash dump.
Attempted to kill init! Exit code =0x0000000b
Complete and exit.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

brandon79

Ok guys I need help.
I have msm tooled this one plus 6t so many times. It's just a phone I use as a back up but wanna get it fixed.
I used dual boot before with zero issues and thanks to the devs and everyone involved.
But now I go through the process msm, unlock, boot twrp, flash dual boot zip, reboot recovery, flash latest oos, flash Rom 1, flash dual boot zip, reboot recovery and here is the problem it never reboots to recovery. It hangs or something on the bootloader has been unlocked screen.
Ok then fastboot mode reboot recovery and it goes to bootloader screen again like it's going to boot then it doesn't screen goes black then Qualcomm crash dump.
Complete and exit.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong.

edit
ok msm again, unlock bootloader, boot twrp ,flash twrp, flash magisk, twrp is 3.4.0.2 magisk is 21.1 . Ok so flashed twrp after booting it. Went through process. Before rebooting to system I tried rebooting recovery and it doesn't switch slots. It always stays on slot A. So I switch to slot B in recovery and reboot recovery and it goes straight to crash dump again. Same error code. So something is not booting or something on slot B. Any ideas.

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
Ok guys I need help.
Complete and exit.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong.

edit
ok msm again, unlock bootloader, boot twrp ,flash twrp, flash magisk, twrp is 3.4.0.2 magisk is 21.1 . Ok so flashed twrp after booting it. Went through process. Before rebooting to system I tried rebooting recovery and it doesn't switch slots. It always stays on slot A. So I switch to slot B in recovery and reboot recovery and it goes straight to crash dump again. Same error code. So something is not booting or something on slot B. Any ideas.
Hello!

OK lets see!
You use OOS10 right? (not OOS11?) (latest OOS10 should be used as of now).
TWRP 3.4.0.2 is a bit outdated. Please try with TWRP 3.5.2-9
So you are using Magisk 21.1? The inbuild Dualboot has Magisk 21.4.
Please flash the latest Magisk 23.0 after flashing the Dualboot and see if that helps.

FYI: The new Dualboot Version 6.2 ist still not full ready but perhaps I can provide a new Version of it with new features during the Weekend now or in the beginning of next week.

Last edited:

brandon79

Hello!

OK lets see!
You use OOS10 right? (not OOS11?) (latest OOS10 should be used as of now).
TWRP 3.4.0.2 is a bit outdated. Please try with TWRP 3.5.2-9
So you are using Magisk 21.1? The inbuild Dualboot has Magisk 21.4.
Please flash the latest Magisk 23.0 after flashing the Dualboot and see if that helps.

FYI: The new Dualboot Version 6.2 ist still not full ready but perhaps I can provide a new Version of it with new features during the Weekend now or in the beginning of next

I tried latest twrp and magisk 23 , went to older version thinking maybe I needed to because of flashing oos 10. I ll try downloading some files again today maybe I got a bad download.

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
Dualboot_Orangefox_new_update.png

Hi all!

New Dualboot Update :)

09/25/2021 - 3.5.2-9 v6.2

Changelog:
- Some small adjustments to the Dualboot flashing
- Changed first time flashing folder from /tmp to /dev due to issues with Orangefox recovery
- Updated to Magisk 23.0 app (Magisk itself is still 21.4 but you can install Magisk 23.0 from within the Magisk app)
- Added quickmode options "EFI128"/"EFI256" to repartition to EFI Layout with Windows NTFS partition and Android userdata for dualboot
- Added patch to enable SDCARDFS Support on Android 11 ROMS for which it is disabled by default

Download Link is updated in the OP.

With the added quickmode/fastmode options "efi128" and "efi256" you can now create the needed EFI and NTFS partitions used by the Windows ARM64 renegade project to Install Windows 10/11 on the Oneplus 6/6t.

One thing to note! When you have repartitioned to EFI/NTFS Layout with the above quickmode options and you want to go back to Stock Layout you need to go via msmdownloadtool!
So repartitioning back to Stock from the Dualboot recovery does not work when you are on the EFI Layout right now!!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

FYI

I got display issues on my Oneplus 6t so I can not use it anymore.
    Got a Oneplus 8t now so I will not do any more big development for this Dualboot for the Oneplus 6 series anymore unfortunately. :cry:
    Of course if it is just to Update Orangefox or TWRP to a newer Version I will still update it but I dont think I will be able to release much with new feature anymore.
    I know it is so sad.
    Have to see how I will live with my Oneplus 8t without Dualboot now.
    I can say that I already miss that I do not have my Dualboot on the Oneplus 8t now but since this device has dynamic partitions I can not implement/build a Dualboot for this device!
    Hello!

In these Instructions I have updated some information about how to set up EFI/NTFS partitions etc.
    Actually I was worried about EFI/NTFS during last few days. I hope this would be the solution. Thanks for the information.
    HI All and glad to see this project on the OnePlus 6! It's bee a while I didn't tweak with my enchilada and decided to try and make it a bit more exciting with dualboot, also many apps are detecting root and not working, some of them are vital and can't be replaced so I was wondering if it would be possible to install default non-rooted OOS (Android 11) on one slot and custom rooted ResurrectionRemix (Android 10) on the other one? I've watched the video and I'm worried about the part that said both ROMs should be on the same security patch, which is difficult to achieve when mixing android 10 and android 11 that's why I wanted to clarify this. Thanks again for the effort to keep the enchilada alive!
    Dualboot TWRP / OrangeFox
    For the Oneplus 6 series

Dualboot_TWRP.JPG
    Dualboot_Orangefox.png

Code:
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this mod
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

You can choose to install this Dualboot-mod with a blacked themed TWRP or with OrangeFox recovery.
    Modified TWRP/OrangeFox and installer script for Oneplus 6 series that re-purposes userdata for true dual booting. You can also just use this as a regular stock recovery for flashing TWRP/Orangefox (Stock without Dualboot).
    This mod has Magisk 21.4 build in as of now but you can just manually flash the latest Magisk afterwards if needed or you can install the lastest Magisk Version from the Magisk app.

You can select between A/B/(C) partition layout or stock partition layout (Dualbooting is only possible with A/B or A/B/C partition Layout not with Stock Layout!!)
    On Stock Layout you can now choose to have a seperate partition called StockSD.
    Seems that the StockSD Layout is not working correctly means if you flash a ROM it will just Bootloop.
    I had no luck in finding out why this is happening.

You have to choose to install Magisk from the Dualboot-mod while flashing if you want to use the Common Data partition on A/B/C Layout or StockSD partition on Stock Layout.
    A limitation of this Dualboot-mod is that you can only set a PIN/Password in one of the ROMs not on both.
    more

Download

Installation instructions

Installation Video

EFI/NTFS Windows Installation instructions from Renegate Project

Source Code

Telegram Group

Changelog
    09/25/2021 - 3.5.2-9 v6.2
    - Some small adjustments to the Dualboot flashing
    - Changed first time flashing folder from /tmp to /dev due to issues with Orangefox recovery
    - Updated to Magisk 23.0 app (Magisk itself is still 21.4 but you can install Magisk 23.0 from within the Magisk app)
    - Added quickmode options "EFI128"/"EFI256" to repartition to EFI Layout with Windows NTFS partition and Android userdata for dualboot
    - Added patch to enable SDCARDFS Support on Android 11 ROMS for which it is disabled by default
    view older Changelogs

Screenshots
    Dualboot_TWRP2.pngDualboot_TWRP3.pngDualboot_TWRP4.pngDualboot_TWRP5.pngDualboot_TWRP_Companion_app.pngDualboot_Companion_app_2.pngOrangeFox_Dualboot_2.pngOrangeFox_Dualboot_4.pngOrangeFox_Dualboot_5.png

Dualboot Version: 6.2
    TWRP Version: 3.5.2-9
    Orangefox Version: R11.1
    Companion app Version: 2.9.2
    Magisk Version: 21.4 (Magisk App 23.0)
    Devices: Oneplus 6 (enchilada) / Oneplus 6t (fajita)
    Latest Update: 25-Sep-2021
    Maintainer: Wishmasterflo

Credits:
    Zackptg5
    Teamwin
    The OrangeFox Team
    Mauronofrio
    TopJohnWu
    Ae3NerdGod
    Invernomut0
    acuicultor
    Morphine1
    4U Tech
    Renegade Project
    Hi all!

FYI

I got display issues on my Oneplus 6t so I can not use it anymore.
    Got a Oneplus 8t now so I will not do any more big development for this Dualboot for the Oneplus 6 series anymore unfortunately. :cry:
    Of course if it is just to Update Orangefox or TWRP to a newer Version I will still update it but I dont think I will be able to release much with new feature anymore.
    I know it is so sad.
    Have to see how I will live with my Oneplus 8t without Dualboot now.
    I can say that I already miss that I do not have my Dualboot on the Oneplus 8t now but since this device has dynamic partitions I can not implement/build a Dualboot for this device!
    Dualboot_Orangefox_new_update.png

Hi all!

New Dualboot Update is up now. :)

07/25/2021 - 3.5.2-9 v6.1

Changelog:
    - Updated to OrangeFox
    Version R11.1
    - Updated Dualboot Companion App to V2.9.2
    - Added parted Tool to manage EFI/Windows partitions
    - Added quickmode option to create EFI partition Layout (more info will come!)

I also linked an Installation Video (done by user 4U Tech) in the OP.
    More info regarding some more new stuff besides of the new Orangefox and Companion App Version will come soon.

Have fun!
    Hi all!

A have uploaded a new Version with a small bug-fix now.

Dualboot TWRP v4.4

02/07/2021 - 3.5.0-9 v4.4
    - Fixed bug which caused that the quickmode options were not working
    FYI