[RECOVERY][DUALBOOT][MAGISK][V6] TWRP/OrangeFox for the OnePlus 6/6t [14-May-2021]

Search This thread

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
@Wishmasterflo you ROCK! Your dualboot TWRP is awesome! Thank you for this. I'm running a 6T with OOS and Kang currently and loving it! I've had the 6T since it came out and have been running OOS since. I have wanted to try some custom ROMs but OOS has been pretty solid. Now with your dualboot You have given me the opportunity to keep OOS and try other custom ROMs if I want. It's amazing!
The only thing I may suggest, is that in your instructions... you should clearly say, that you need to change the TWRP file name to
"-fast-su.AB.zip" or whatever the set up configuration may be that best suits the user and device. Whether it's with, encryption on slot A and or B or a and or B or A and b or vise versa. Would it be possible to make a separate flashable zip of all the configurations that you have available. I'm sure that it would be a pain in the a$$ and It's just a thought. That whole part was a little confusing when I was setting dualboot TWRP up. Believe me... I know you have a lot going on and you are busy but that may make thing a little easier for some that are not so inclined and it keeps TWRP from formatting partitions after the initial install.

Hi!
Thank you so much for your Feedback. Great that you loving it. I am running KangOS as well and Carbon ROM A10.
OK I will think about how to make the file name configuration perhaps a bnit easier.

Reactions: xdrc45

S1RR

Dec 2, 2014
Hmm...strange.
Do you have the latest OOS Version flashed to both slots before starting flashing the Dualboot TWRP?
Are you on Oneplus 6 or 6t ?
Which ROMs did you try it with?
And did you flash the Dualboot-TWRP again after flashing each ROM?

Greetings
yes I did flash the very latest OOS on both slots before flashing dualboot twrp
i'm on the 6t
i tried Havoc OS and KangOS.
Yes i made sure to flash dualboot twrp after flashing each rom
tomorrow will try again one thing as a side note i know i asked about this before havoc does have twrp preinstalled now ofcourse im flashing dualboot twrp right so i'm guessing maybe that does't pose a problem. i will still try two roms that im certain doesnt have twrp inbuilt .

brandon79

Feb 15, 2015
check
Greetings
i'm on the 6t
tomorrow will try again one thing as a side note i know i asked about this before havoc does have twrp preinstalled now ofcourse im flashing dualboot twrp right so i'm guessing maybe that does't pose a problem. i will still try two roms that im certain doesnt have twrp inbuilt .
I have Havoc on one slot and Kang on the other. I never faced any of the problems you are. Just curious but on the initial twrp dual boot install did you copy the file to tmp and flash from there. I only ask cause I made this mistake when I first flashed dual boot twrp.

S1RR

Dec 2, 2014
I have Havoc on one slot and Kang on the other. I never faced any of the problems you are. Just curious but on the initial twrp dual boot install did you copy the file to tmp and flash from there. I only ask cause I made this mistake when I first flashed dual boot twrp.

Good point. I did copy it to the internal storage and it did copy itself to the temp folder and i flashed from there. I mean i was able to create all the new partitions i wanted perform all subsequent flashing. I will manually copy to temp on my nest try.

brandon79

Feb 15, 2015
check
Good point. I did copy it to the internal storage and it did copy itself to the temp folder and i flashed from there. I mean i was able to create all the new partitions i wanted perform all subsequent flashing. I will manually copy to temp on my nest try.
I manually copied mine but if you went through the repartition process sounds like that was successful. Sorry for not being more help. But I do know Havoc and Kang both work with dual boot twrp.

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
Greetings
i'm on the 6t

Yes so as long as you flash the Dualboot-TWRP after the ROM flashing it does not matter if the ROM has TWRP inbuild.
And you did a Format Data on the slots after all flashing?
Which Version of KangOS do you use the GApps or non-Gapps Version? If non-Gapps have you flashed NikGapps on that Slot afterwards?
Its so strange that it does not work for you, I have a 6t with my latest Dualboot-TWRP as well and I am running KangOS (non-Gapps with NikGapps) without issues. I had the issue with just hanging/looping on the ROM Boot screen when I had forgotten to to a FORMAT DATA on that slot and even (when using the non-Gapps Version) if I did not flash NikGapps before booting to KangOS it was not booting up as well but otherwise I did not have any issues with it it all and I am using the A/B/C Layout as well now.
I have really no clue now why it is not working for you.

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
I modified the partition sizes to 90G/20G without common data. Will this break device if I apply it? Also why do you recommend disabling verity and force encryption?

Hi!
No that should not break the device. Just try it out and if it fails you can just use MSMdownload tool to get everything as it should again because when the repartition part fails it not always possible to repartition back to Stock Layout so in that case you have to use MSMdownloadtool to get your phone up and running again.

Hmm yes the thing with the encryption it seems it is only working correctly when using OOS and not on custom ROMs but of course you can just try it therfor I recommended to disable that!

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
@Wishmasterflo you ROCK! Your dualboot TWRP is awesome! Thank you for this. I'm running a 6T with OOS and Kang currently and loving it! I've had the 6T since it came out and have been running OOS since. I have wanted to try some custom ROMs but OOS has been pretty solid. Now with your dualboot You have given me the opportunity to keep OOS and try other custom ROMs if I want. It's amazing!
The only thing I may suggest, is that in your instructions... you should clearly say, that you need to change the TWRP file name to
"-fast-su.AB.zip" or whatever the set up configuration may be that best suits the user and device. Whether it's with, encryption on slot A and or B or a and or B or A and b or vise versa. Would it be possible to make a separate flashable zip of all the configurations that you have available. I'm sure that it would be a pain in the a$$ and It's just a thought. That whole part was a little confusing when I was setting dualboot TWRP up. Believe me... I know you have a lot going on and you are busy but that may make thing a little easier for some that are not so inclined and it keeps TWRP from formatting partitions after the initial install.

@xdrc45 I actually just found a bug which is causing that the quickmode option is not working in the latest Version 4.3
I have fixed it now and it will work again with the next Version. I also updated the Installation instructions with some more examples regarding the use of the file naming for quickmode.

Tomkumato

Feb 2, 2018
First of all fantastic work great job. I'm using ABC and I would like to know how to write it out on my file name so that I can do the custom roms without having to make choices with the volume key every time. So hopefully I can automatically flash the file dual boot zip for ABC e x t partition with four subscription disabled please help sir. I'm also using magisk for both slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wishmasterflo

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
First of all fantastic work great job. I'm using ABC and I would like to know how to write it out on my file name so that I can do the custom roms without having to make choices with the volume key every time. So hopefully I can automatically flash the file dual boot zip for ABC e x t partition with four subscription disabled please help sir. I'm also using magisk for both slots.

Hi!
Thank you so much.
Actually the function to use the quickmode options via the filename is not working correctly since Version 4.1 now.
I have already fixed it for the next Version but want to wait a few more days to release it since I am just fixing some other small issues.

Sorry for that but with the next Version it will work again and I will also update the instructions with more details about the file nameing regarding this then!

Tomkumato

Feb 2, 2018
I'm
Hi!
Thank you so much.
Actually the function to use the quickmode options via the filename is not working correctly since Version 4.1 now.
I have already fixed it for the next Version but want to wait a few more days to release it since I am just fixing some other small issues.

Sorry for that but with the next Version it will work again and I will also update the instructions with more details about the file nameing regarding this then!
Thank you so much for your answer you have been most helpful I'll wait till next version

koobie777

• Sep 15, 2009
    OnePlus 6T
    Hi all!

A have uploaded a new Version with a small bug-fix now.
    Download Link is updated in the OP.

Dualboot TWRP v4.4

02/07/2021 - 3.5.0-9 v4.4
    - Fixed bug which caused that the quickmode options were not working
    Yes! Thank you! One small request, please make a more detailed guide on quick mode. I myself had some trouble using it with older versions. Also thought of another idea, making common data mount script a separate flash able zip for an insurance policy. I will always love your enthusiasm and tenacity for the op6 my friend, you're around more than most devs haha.

Reactions: Wishmasterflo

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
    Stockholm
    Yes! Thank you! One small request, please make a more detailed guide on quick mode. I myself had some trouble using it with older versions. Also thought of another idea, making common data mount script a separate flash able zip for an insurance policy. I will always love your enthusiasm and tenacity for the op6 my friend, you're around more than most devs haha.

I have updated that today here.

jhedfors

Oct 16, 2009
    St Paul, AZ
    I tried the stockSD layout and had trouble accessing anything in the file manager, even the root of the SDCARD. I have attempted to restore stock partitions, but am still having problems with accessing the SDCARD, and it shows a capacity of 107gb. How can I get back to stock?

Edit: I think "fix contexts" resolved the issue for me... back on stock, with the correct size as far as I can tell... May give it a go again.

Is there any way the stocksd can be recognized by regular TWRP?

Last edited:

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
    Stockholm
    I tried the stockSD layout and had trouble accessing anything in the file manager, even the root of the SDCARD. I have attempted to restore stock partitions, but am still having problems with accessing the SDCARD, and it shows a capacity of 107gb. How can I get back to stock?

Edit: I think "fix contexts" resolved the issue for me... back on stock, with the correct size as far as I can tell... May give it a go again.

Is there any way the stocksd can be recognized by regular TWRP?

When I test the StockSD layout after I had implemented it I had no issues to access it in TWRP but it needs to be my Dualboot TWRP so it will not work with a regaulr TWRP if it was that you ment.
    Also as I remember when I tried the StockSD I had issues withe the ROMs I test that with. I guess all of them were just bootlooping and not booting up and I have no clue why.
    But had actually not really the time to test further on that as I am now on the A/B/C Layout.

Reactions: jhedfors

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      great work with the dualboot , it works really good !

butt 1 qeustion if i exedently lose recovery because of some mistake ,
      i flash twrp with fastboot boot twrp and then it can't detact the data partitiion if i then flash dualboot true sidel;oad it is fixed !

butt what is the best way to get back to normaal stock style ?
      can i use the fastboot flash all command or must it be with MsmDownloadToolV4.0InternationalVersionOxygen ?

thnx in advance !!!
      Thanks. No the flash all will not work to get back to Stock layout. You need to use MSMdownload Tool for that.
      the quoted post / topic obviously :D

the one described in this post to be very exact: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-6t-14-may-2021.4173429/page-15#post-84483965
      Ahh ok. That is already existing. That can be done with the Dualboot Compabion app but it seems not to work with all apps.
      Just try it out.
      Dualboot TWRP / OrangeFox
      For the Oneplus 6 series

Dualboot_TWRP.JPG
      Dualboot_Orangefox.png

Code:
      * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
      * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
      * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this mod
      * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
      * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

You can choose to install this Dualboot-mod with a blacked themed TWRP or with OrangeFox recovery.
      Modified TWRP/OrangeFox and installer script for Oneplus 6 series that re-purposes userdata for true dual booting. You can also just use this as a regular stock recovery for flashing TWRP/Orangefox (Stock without Dualboot).
      This mod has Magisk 21.4 build in as of now but you can just manually flash Magisk 22.1 afterwards if needed.

You can select between A/B/(C) partition layout or stock partition layout (Dualbooting is only possible with A/B or A/B/C partition Layout not with Stock Layout!!)
      On Stock Layout you can now choose to have a seperate partition called StockSD.
      Seems that the StockSD Layout is not working correctly means if you flash a ROM it will just Bootloop.
      I had no luck in finding out why this is happening.

You have to choose to install Magisk from the Dualboot-mod while flashing if you want to use the Common Data partition on A/B/C Layout or StockSD partition on Stock Layout.
      A limitation of this Dualboot-mod is that you can only set a PIN/Password in one of the ROMs not on both.
      more

Download

Installation instructions

Source Code

Telegram Group

Changelog
      05/14/2021 - 3.5.2-9 v6
      - Updated Dualboot Companion app to V2.9.1
      DualBoot companion App V2.9.1 Changelog
      - Optimized splash screen
      - Fixed reboot time on Custom Rom in widget menu
      view older Changelogs

Screenshots
      Dualboot_TWRP2.pngDualboot_TWRP3.pngDualboot_TWRP4.pngDualboot_TWRP5.pngDualboot_TWRP_Companion_app.pngDualboot_Companion_app_2.pngOrangeFox_Dualboot_2.pngOrangeFox_Dualboot_4.pngOrangeFox_Dualboot_5.png

Dualboot Version: 6
      TWRP Version: 3.5.2-9
      Orangefox Version: R11.0
      Companion app Version: 2.9.1
      Magisk Version: 21.4
      Devices: Oneplus 6 (enchilada) / Oneplus 6t (fajita)
      Latest Update: 14-May-2021
      Maintainer: Wishmasterflo

Credits:
      Zackptg5
      Teamwin
      The OrangeFox Team
      Mauronofrio
      TopJohnWu
      Ae3NerdGod
      Invernomut0
      acuicultor
      Morphine1
      Hi all!

A have uploaded a new Version with a small bug-fix now.
      Download Link is updated in the OP.

Dualboot TWRP v4.4

02/07/2021 - 3.5.0-9 v4.4
      - Fixed bug which caused that the quickmode options were not working
      Hi all!

Dualboot TWRP v5 is up now. :)

03/05/2021 - 3.5.0-9-v5
      - Added Dualboot Companion app created by User Invernomut0
      - small bugfixes and corrections

Download link and information is updated in the OP.
      You can just dirty flash the new Version 5 over the Verion 4.x !!
      This Version has still Magisk 21.4 built in but you can just flash Magisk 22.0 manually after flashing the Dualboot-TWRP.

Thanks to User Invernomut0 who is doing a Dualboot for the Oneplus 7 series a got a nice "app" now called Dualboot Companion app which is integrated in my Dualboot-TWRP now.

Under the section "Dualboot Companion app" here on my Github page I have written down some information about it.
      So what you can acutally do with this app is to easily reboot to the other slots system or recovery.
      It can even be added to the Power menu in Android 11.
      I have updated the OP with some new screenshots from the app.
      When opening the app you will get some useful information as well like the Android Version,SELinux state, active slot and information about the installed ROM.
      From inside the app (when clicking on the upper left corner icon) you get some additional options like mount the inactive slots system or data partition.

You have as well a "Share app" function in the app with which you can select apps you want to share its data throughout both ROMs.
      This feature is still in "beta" phase I would say. I mean I have test it and it works but need a few manual steps after applying and rebooting to the other slot.
      Also it seems that it does not work with ever app!
      Just try it out if you want and see if it works for you.
      What it does actually is to create a folder on the Common Data partition called SharedData.
      So this is only working when you use the A/B/C Layout with the Common Data partition!
      Within the SharedData folder it copies the apps data from the apps you have selected in the Dualboot Companion shared apps list.
      When then rebooting to the other slot it will mount the data from the SharedData folder to the apps data folder in that ROM.
      Here comes the tricky part now. That needs some specific permissions and things set for each apps folder.
      I actually added that mounting and setting of the permissions in the mount script which is executed on each boot but that seems a bit tricky and does not really work all the time.
      To fix that manual settings I put a file called mount_shareddata.sh in the system_root.

So actually what you need to do if you have apps shared data through the SharedData folder is to execute the following commands from a adb shell on your computer:

Code:
      adb shell
      su
      su --mount-master
      sh ./mount_shareddata.sh
      Hi all!

New Version is uploaded now. :)

Dualboot TWRP v4.1

01/08/2021 - 3.5.0-9 v4.1

- Cleaned up stuff which is not needed anymore
      - Fixed bugs that were existing in the repartitioning part
      - Updated with official TWRP 3.5.0-9 and added black Theme to it
      - Added option to create a seperate partition called StockSD when on Stock Layout

Download link is updated in the OP.
      This Updated has a lot of changes and cleaned up things under the hood.
      I found a few bugs which were actually existing since the beginningn when I took over this Dualboot-TWRP and adjusted it to the Onplus 6 series.

One thing to mention here regarding the new StockSD layout which will create a seperate partition called StockSD when you repartition to the new StockSD layout.
      I got it to work and show up in TWRP but I have had no luck to get the ROM booted when the new StockSD layout is used.
      Could be that I have to investigate further here, or it was just something here on my device.
      Not sure what I missed there otherwise since I implemented it in the same was as the Common Data partition is used/set up when on the A/B/C Layout.

Note: If you want to try the new StockSD Layout you should back-up all your data before doing this since that will re-partition your Datapartition to create a second partition so it will wipe all data!!!

Have a nice weekend and stay save!
      New December Build is up Dualboot TWRP v3.3 :)

Changelog
      12/01/2020 - 3.4.0-0 v3.3
      - Added to flash Magisk Canary 20422 on Android 11 automatically
      - Added mount file to mount Android Data to Commondata (still Beta/Test)

Download here.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone