[recovery hack] How to get back recovery 2e

Search This thread

fomofo

Oct 19, 2010
Adelaide
I've successfully used this method to access recovery 2e on all Froyo firmwares, that is, right up until XWJS3.

I just can't get it to work no matter what I try, stuck on boot screen, I just hold in power button for 10 secs and boots fine.

Maybe Samsung changed something in the code to stop it from working?

Andro1d

Jan 28, 2010
For anyone who tries this fix and gets stuck at the boot screen, you just need to plug the phone in via USB, run 'adb reboot download', then once it's in download mode, pull it from USB, remove and reinsert the battery, then power on. It should boot on as normal. Recovery mode may or may not be working, but at least you'll have a phone that works.

YOU SAVED MY DAY !!!!! 1000* Thanks and thumbs up !!! :eek::eek:

Btw, recovery doesnt work. Hangs badly (using adb reboot recovery i'm getting the same evil logoscreen).
Hummm... reverting back to recovery3e. But i've no idea how i'm able to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=821698 <-- cause 3e doesnt work (he sais)

Would be nice to make this sticky or add to first post. This is an evil semibrick !!!!

Last edited:

imfromwales

Feb 2, 2011
Can someone please advise me on how to do number 5 on the list below please? its from the OP of this thread. I am using Terminal Emulator on my android phone and it keeps saying "cp: not found", which after a bit of googling, means you cant use the cp command on android phones?

1. put archive contents in a folder called recovery2e on /sdcard/
2. open a shell and get root (ADB or Terminal on Phone, type su and pres enter / accept )
3. remount /system rw (busybox mount -o remount,rw /system)
4. rename recovery in /system/bin to recovery3e (for backup purposes)
5. copy "recovery" from /sdcard/recovery2e/ to /system/bin/ (cp /sdcard/recovery2e/recovery /system/bin/)
6. copy the folder /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery to /system/xbin/ (cp -rr /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery /system/xbin/)
7. enjoy!

Andro1d

Jan 28, 2010
I am using Terminal Emulator on my android phone and it keeps saying "cp: not found", which after a bit of googling, means you cant use the cp command on android phones?

Busybox has to be in /system/xbin AND then prefixed to the cp cmd

Code:
busybox cp ... ...

But... see my last post. Good luck :rolleyes:

imfromwales

Feb 2, 2011
just installed busybox but didnt get an option to move it to /system/xbin, how can this be done? i cant even find the /system folder when my phone is connected to my computer!

Mallikanth

Mar 24, 2011
Wales
i have the same problem!!

file recovery copy to /system/bin... and replace

paste failure..:confused:

help!!

jp6

Same for me - No space to make the copy when running the following:
busybox cp -rr /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery /system/xbin

PDA:I9000XXJPY
PHONE: I9000XXJPY
CSC: I9000XAJPY
BUILD INFO: 2010.12

I've renamed recovery3e back to recovery in /system/bin

I re-booted the phone and it wanted to set me up as a new user and now most things I try to start now has to be forced closed after the phone vibrates - its totally unusable!!

For example started and then manully closing the Camera (as normal) I get The application Superuser (process com.noshufu.android.su) has stopped unexpectedly

Help!

[EDIT] Sorted now - Followed Darky guide to install stock Froyo and then Darkys ROM went on fine.
Back to a working phone!!

Sorry to bug you guys.

Last edited:

Tyxerakias

Jun 19, 2010
London, UK
Has anyone tested this on Gingerbread? (obviously someone who hasn't rooted with CF-root). It worked really well on Froyo.

EDIT: No, apparently it doesn't work on Gingerbread. You need it in the kernel there. Pity.

Last edited:

elsalek

Feb 2, 2011
i'd like to post my experience as it my help others
i'm running froyo.jpjpf
rooted by z4root
tried the steps using adb method ,but got the "cp: not found" when i tried to copy
so i did it with root explorer
and rebooted and got semi bricked (stayed at the boot logo)
so i did the blow steps to boot normally (as advised by one brave soul)
(For anyone who tries this fix and gets stuck at the boot screen, you just need to plug the phone in via USB, run 'adb reboot download', then once it's in download mode, pull it from USB, remove and reinsert the battery, then power on. It should boot on as normal. Recovery mode may or may not be working, but at least you'll have a phone that works.)

then i noticed the revovery file in the zip is just a script containg many cp commands ,which i know that they always fail with the cp not found error
so i installed busybox form the market and checked that any cp command does not return any error ,and rebooted into recovery using adb , and yes it woked (2e recovery)

thanks for you great help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I included this fix in a package I put together that uses batch files to help people install it. A couple of users had problems, and this is what we discovered:

For anyone who tries this fix and gets stuck at the boot screen, you just need to plug the phone in via USB, run 'adb reboot download', then once it's in download mode, pull it from USB, remove and reinsert the battery, then power on. It should boot on as normal. Recovery mode may or may not be working, but at least you'll have a phone that works.
    Helo

I found a way to return to the recovery 2e

recovery 2e

Copying a file using the Root Explorer

# unzip and put archive contents in a folder called recovery2e on /sdcard/
    # first mount -o remount,rw /system (important options in Root Explorer for do this)
    # file recovery copy to /system/bin (and replace)
    # xbi folder contents copy to /system/xbin/ (and replace)

Method by captive thanks buddy

# put archive contents in a folder called recovery2e on /sdcard/
    # open a shell and get root (ADB or Terminal on Phone, type su and pres enter / accept )
    # remount /system rw (busybox mount -o remount,rw /system)
    # rename recovery in /system/bin to recovery3e (for backup purposes)
    # copy "recovery" from /sdcard/recovery2e/ to /system/bin/ (cp /sdcard/recovery2e/recovery /system/bin/)
    # copy the folder /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery to /system/xbin/ (cp -rr /sdcard/recovery2e/xbin/recovery /system/xbin/)
    # enjoy!

Restart your phone
    I was on JPM, followed the instructions.

Phone couldn't boot, lost ability to enter recovery. Luckily I could still enter Download mode, flashed to JPM, but being on voodoo kernel before that, didn't managed to disable lagfix before getting into this trouble - Couldn't revert back to RFS, and without ability to enter recovery to format.

Finally reverted back to Eclair firmware, could see my beloved recovery again. No way I'm going through the above again. :D

The above is just my own experience, for reference just in case someone is as unlucky as me.