[RECOVERY] HOW TO INSTALL TWRP & MAGISK OOS 5.1.11, OB1 & earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

lollyjay

Jul 26, 2012
Fresno
Please follow all directions carefully.
There is an excellent unofficial TWRP by @eng.stk at https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6/development/kernel-t3800965 I have installed it successfully from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=27466#downloads using the following method:

This unofficial TWRP by @eng.stk has working haptic, brightness and MTP

If you already have anotherTWRP installed, you can install the new zip from your TWRP but remember if you had Magisk before, to reboot TWRP and flash Magisk again

• NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE STOCK OOS 5.1.5 through latest OOS 9, OR ANY OF THE CUSTOM ROMS
  • NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER
  • NOTE: I HAVE NOW PERSONALLY TESTED THAT THIS METHOD WORKS IF YOU HAVE OOS 5.1.6 through latest OOS 9
  • NOTE: FASTBOOT COMMANDS MUST BE INSTALLED AND TESTED ON YOUR PC
  • NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE MAGISK 17.x ZIP ON YOUR PHONE
    *** YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL STEPS EXACTLY ***
  • Download twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.img from the above site to your pc
  • Download twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.zip from the above site to your phone
  • Hook phone to pc USB with factory red cable (or other usb-c cable that you have tested)
  • Reboot phone into bootloader
  • On your pc, go to the location where you downloaded the twrp image
  • Type fastboot devices to make sure that you get a response showing your phone and serial number
  • Type fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.img
  • Your phone will boot into twrp YOU WILL PROBABLY BE ASKED TO ENTER YOUR PIN/PATTERN/PASSWORD.
  • From twrp, install the twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.zip that you downloaded on your phone
  • Disconnect your phone from the pc
  • Reboot twrp back into recovery. You should now be rebooted to the new twrp.
  • If you had magisk installed, then flash magisk again or you will bootloop back to twrp

For an excellent guide on the A/B slots, check out @iElvis thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6/how-to/guide-noobs-guide-to-b-partitions-op6-t3816123

Last edited:

x111

Jul 3, 2009
Awesome, now I am on official twrp. Everything works as it should.
btw, original cable is not necessary to use, I am using wsken magnetic one and everything works.
Would be handy to have all the link in this thread.

lollyjay

Jul 26, 2012
Fresno
Awesome, now I am on official twrp. Everything works as it should.
btw, original cable is not necessary to use, I am using wsken magnetic one and everything works.
Would be handy to have all the link in this thread.
Ya only reason I put that in is there are a lot of crap aftermarket cables out there lol

Sent from my OnePlus6 using XDA Labs

KnifeFed

Oct 27, 2007
Is there a reason the OP says to specifically flash Magisk version 16.4 (which is a beta version)? I'm running 16.0 (stable) right now and haven't experienced any issues, at least none that I've noticed.

lollyjay

Jul 26, 2012
Fresno
Is there a reason the OP says to specifically flash Magisk version 16.4 (which is a beta version)? I'm running 16.0 (stable) right now and haven't experienced any issues, at least none that I've noticed.
Hey as long as 16.0 is working for you., I see no reason to change. Just make sure you reflash Magisk 16.0 after.

Last edited:
Reactions: KnifeFed

b.huss2

Dec 8, 2010
Greenville
FYI, I installed following instructions on TWRP Oneplus6 page. Quick and easy. I'm curious why your instructions require Magisk? It certainly was not required for me. For the record I am not/ was not previously rooted with magisk.

lollyjay

Jul 26, 2012
Fresno
FYI, I installed following instructions on TWRP Oneplus6 page. Quick and easy. I'm curious why your instructions require Magisk? It certainly was not required for me. For the record I am not rooted, nor was I before I flashed official TWRP, so maybe that is the difference?.
Yes I think that you are correct. I made this for people who were/want to be rooted. Nevertheless some have reported boot problems.

Sent from my OnePlus6 using XDA Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please follow all directions carefully.
    There is an excellent unofficial TWRP by @eng.stk at https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6/development/kernel-t3800965 I have installed it successfully from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=27466#downloads using the following method:

This unofficial TWRP by @eng.stk has working haptic, brightness and MTP

If you already have anotherTWRP installed, you can install the new zip from your TWRP but remember if you had Magisk before, to reboot TWRP and flash Magisk again

• NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE STOCK OOS 5.1.5 through latest OOS 9, OR ANY OF THE CUSTOM ROMS
    • NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER
    • NOTE: I HAVE NOW PERSONALLY TESTED THAT THIS METHOD WORKS IF YOU HAVE OOS 5.1.6 through latest OOS 9
    • NOTE: FASTBOOT COMMANDS MUST BE INSTALLED AND TESTED ON YOUR PC
    • NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE MAGISK 17.x ZIP ON YOUR PHONE
      *** YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL STEPS EXACTLY ***
    • Download twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.img from the above site to your pc
    • Download twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.zip from the above site to your phone
    • Hook phone to pc USB with factory red cable (or other usb-c cable that you have tested)
    • Reboot phone into bootloader
    • On your pc, go to the location where you downloaded the twrp image
    • Type fastboot devices to make sure that you get a response showing your phone and serial number
    • Type fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.img
    • Your phone will boot into twrp YOU WILL PROBABLY BE ASKED TO ENTER YOUR PIN/PATTERN/PASSWORD.
    • From twrp, install the twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.zip that you downloaded on your phone
    • Disconnect your phone from the pc
    • Reboot twrp back into recovery. You should now be rebooted to the new twrp.
    • If you had magisk installed, then flash magisk again or you will bootloop back to twrp

For an excellent guide on the A/B slots, check out @iElvis thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6/how-to/guide-noobs-guide-to-b-partitions-op6-t3816123
    Can the media storage be accessed in twrp through MTP?
    I am currently on 5.1.5 with unofficial twrp. I want to update to 5.1.6 with official twrp. How to go about it? pls guide
    People need to stop assuming this phone works like non-A/B phones and that they can freely use their preferred methods for flashing/upgrading instead of the posted guides. There is a reason the instructions on the official twrp site are more involved than usual, and it's to ensure you get a clean install on both slots.

Also, this phone has no recovery partition - kernel and recovery reside on the same partition, which is why you have to re-root (re-flash magisk) every time you upgrade twrp, flash a kernel, or flash a stock rom. There is no way to avoid this. I see people saying "I don't want to lose twrp/root so I'm going to do XYZ" even though the guides say to do ABC.

If wifi or some other core function is broken, it's because you flashed things wrong and need to start over. All the current official stuff works fine if you install it correctly.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone