[RECOVERY LOCKED/Nougat/7.0][G955U/W] Safestrap Recovery v4.09 B01 [Apr 19, 2019]

Search This thread

afaneh92

• Jul 31, 2012
    Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Snapdragon)

PLEASE READ READ READENTIRE OP

"ALL MAJOR WORK DONE BY HASHCODE SO GO GIVE HIM SOM THANKS.DO NOT POST ANY BUG OR ISSUE COUSED BY THIS RECOVERY IN ORIGINAL THREAD BY HASHCODE, POST HERE AND I WILL HELP YOU."

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
    BETA v4.09-B01 [Nougat:7.0]

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?
    Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 3.2.1 (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
    Here you can create virtual ROM-slots for flashing ROMs. NOTE: The bigger you make the /data partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
    You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
    Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
    Requirement: Root

APK install:
    Once installed, open up the Safestrap application, Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
    Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
    From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.

Flashable zip:
    Flash using Safestrap recovery or FlashFire.

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
    Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
    APK:
    Push the APK up to your sdcard.
    Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
    Open your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
    Browse to where you pushed the APK
    Click on it and install like normal
    Once installed, open the APK, Grant SU access, Use the "Install Recovery" button.

Flashable zip:

KNOWN ISSUES:
    - Sometimes the installation doesn't work correctly. If you don't see the splashscreen after a rebooting. Install Safestrap again.

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING A SAMSUNG GALAXY S8+ (Snapdragon) [Nougat:7.0]

LATEST ZIP: Safestrap-4.09-B01-DREAM2QLTE-SS-FF-flashable.zip
    LATEST APK: Safestrap-4.09-B01-DREAM2QLTE.apk
    androidfilehost

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

Special Thanks To
    @Hashcode, DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery.
    @jrkruse for pointing me that S8 has permissive root. @partcyborg for getting root on S8.

Last edited:

afaneh92

• Jul 31, 2012
    CHANGELOG:
    4.09-B01 [2019-04-19]
    - TWRP updated to 3.3.0.
    - Fix reboot function
    - Add reboot to safestrap button in reboot menu
    - Add Edl button in reboot menu
    - Move Boot Options to advanced menu items.
    - Safestrap app: Update topjohnwu's libsu to 2.4.0.
    - Safestrap app: Update install recovery function.
    4.08-B01 [2019-03-01]
    - TWRP updated to 3.2.3.
    - Fix datamedia mount.
    - Add hijack-backup during image flashing.
    - Major code clean up
    4.07-B01 [2018-07-16]
    - Fix CHARGER_BOOT detection.
    - TWRP updated to 3.2.2.
    - Update safestrap portrait theme.
    - Update safestrap app to use topjohnwu's libsu & internal busybox (busybox app not needed anymore).
    4.06-B02 [2018-04-10]
    - Fix taskset cpus to 8 cores (thanks to Hashcode).
    - Add exfat support for recovery (ext-sdcard fix).
    - Fix MTP (thanks to me2151).
    4.06-B01 [2018-04-03]
    - Initial release.

BUGS:
    - ROM-slots not working for now.

Last edited:

gerryl432

Feb 16, 2016
    Totally possible
    Just to clarify, when I downgrade from 8.0 to 7.0 to obtain root, boot the rooted ROM then

install busybox and safestrap.apk before reflashing Oreo and that will run alongside Rooted QL1 in a second ROM slot under safestrap?? I apologise if I misread instructions, it's been a while as I haven't used safestrap since my s3 years ago

Edit: just saw the ROM slots not working, and the new Oreo modified thread. Lol

Last edited:

siulmagic

Jun 23, 2007
    Bridgeport
    Just to clarify, when I downgrade from 8.0 to 7.0 to obtain root, boot the rooted ROM then

install busybox and safestrap.apk before reflashing Oreo and that will run alongside Rooted QL1 in a second ROM slot under safestrap?? I apologise if I misread instructions, it's been a while as I haven't used safestrap since my s3 years ago

Edit: just saw the ROM slots not working, and the new Oreo modified thread. Lol

Were is this oreo thread you mention? iv been searching for it, but i cant find it.

kirito9

Inactive Recognized Contributor
    Oct 30, 2013
    @afaneh92 Do you have sources for this recovery? As in how did you get it to work with android 7 when safestrap support ended in KK. I'd like to boot it on LP+.

pro_granade

Jan 22, 2013
    Kansas City
    Would I be able to install this on Nougat, and then update to Oreo and keep it installed?
    Then from there add a Nougat ROM with root so that I could update it and use my root stuff.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Snapdragon)

PLEASE READ READ READENTIRE OP

"ALL MAJOR WORK DONE BY HASHCODE SO GO GIVE HIM SOM THANKS.DO NOT POST ANY BUG OR ISSUE COUSED BY THIS RECOVERY IN ORIGINAL THREAD BY HASHCODE, POST HERE AND I WILL HELP YOU."

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
      BETA v4.09-B01 [Nougat:7.0]

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?
      Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 3.2.1 (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
      Here you can create virtual ROM-slots for flashing ROMs. NOTE: The bigger you make the /data partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
      You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
      Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
      Requirement: Root

APK install:
      Once installed, open up the Safestrap application, Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
      Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
      From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.

Flashable zip:

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
      Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
      APK:
      Push the APK up to your sdcard.
      Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
      Open your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
      Browse to where you pushed the APK
      Click on it and install like normal
      Once installed, open the APK, Grant SU access, Use the "Install Recovery" button.

Flashable zip:

KNOWN ISSUES:
      - Sometimes the installation doesn't work correctly. If you don't see the splashscreen after a rebooting. Install Safestrap again.

DOWNLOADS:
      CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING A SAMSUNG GALAXY S8+ (Snapdragon) [Nougat:7.0]

LATEST ZIP: Safestrap-4.09-B01-DREAM2QLTE-SS-FF-flashable.zip
      LATEST APK: Safestrap-4.09-B01-DREAM2QLTE.apk
      androidfilehost

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

Special Thanks To
      @Hashcode, DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery.
      @jrkruse for pointing me that S8 has permissive root. @partcyborg for getting root on S8.
      CHANGELOG:
      4.09-B01 [2019-04-19]
      - TWRP updated to 3.3.0.
      - Fix reboot function
      - Add reboot to safestrap button in reboot menu
      - Add Edl button in reboot menu
      - Move Boot Options to advanced menu items.
      - Safestrap app: Update topjohnwu's libsu to 2.4.0.
      - Safestrap app: Update install recovery function.
      4.08-B01 [2019-03-01]
      - TWRP updated to 3.2.3.
      - Fix datamedia mount.
      - Add hijack-backup during image flashing.
      - Major code clean up
      4.07-B01 [2018-07-16]
      - TWRP updated to 3.2.2.
      - Update safestrap app to use topjohnwu's libsu & internal busybox (busybox app not needed anymore).
      4.06-B02 [2018-04-10]
      - Fix taskset cpus to 8 cores (thanks to Hashcode).
      - Add exfat support for recovery (ext-sdcard fix).
      - Fix MTP (thanks to me2151).
      4.06-B01 [2018-04-03]
      - Initial release.

BUGS:
      - ROM-slots not working for now.
      Safestrap 4.07-B01 [2018-07-16]
      - TWRP updated to 3.2.2.
      Update this already come on.
      First off, never rush a developer, ask for an ETA or even be demanding like that. Period. You aren't contributing anything to this thread or to him. How about you thank him for STILL continuing to work on this for us, for FREE on his own FREE time rather than abandon it.. He has an outside life and if he needs to devote more time to his life instead of developing this, he can. Also, he's been trying to work on this for quite a while but it's not easy developing things like this on a locked BL. Especially something such as safestrap. Let the man work and don't clog up his thread demanding for it to be updated. I'd rather him take 3 more months on this and perfect it with no bugs rather than have him rush this out... Anyways, to the dev, please take your time with this. We appreciate your time and effort you're putting into this project and hope development is going well.

Sent from my Samsung SM-G950U using XDA Labs
      I've been in touch with afaneh92 (which I haven't 'mentioned' because he stated he'll be busy these next few weeks) and according to him, some work needs to be done to get rom slots working.

And about slot rom we need to hack the stock init binary to avoid mounting selinux stuff.

So, we need to find a way to hex edit or inject code into the binary that will allow recovery to bypass selinux enforcement. I'm not the greatest with hex editing, but I've decided to look into it a bit in hopes of helping out a little. Anybody familiar with hex editing, binary injection methods, and obviously basic android development is more than welcome to help. I'll post any relevant findings if/when they become available, any collaborative efforts posted here are welcome (or a PM if thats more suitable for you).

Thanks and take care!
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone