• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY LOCKED/WARRANTY SAFE] Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2013-06-26 KK Beta #1]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
*** DISCLAIMER ***
I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.

THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.

[SM-N9005] Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Safestrap

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
BETA

I had an XDA user request a build of Safestrap for the SM-N9005, and figured I might as well share it.

NOTE: Safestrap will not trip KNOX, because it doesn't not flash kernels
I know that the N9005 is an unlockable device but some users may want to save the warranty and only mess around with TW-based ROMs. That's what Safestrap is for. If you're unlocked you probably want CWM / TWRP installed as your recovery so that you can flash AOSP-based ROMs.

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
  1. Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (2 on the N3 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for different sizes of /system, /data and /cache partitions. The defaults *SHOULD* be good enough for flashing the stock-based ROMs.

NOTE: The bigger you make these partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
  2. You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
  3. Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.
  4. For more information you can read up here:
    http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
  1. Requirement: Root
  2. [NEW FOR v3.75+ KK Safestrap] Requirement: busybox. If your stock ROM doesn't have it built-in you need to grab "Busybox" from the Play Store and run the installer.
  3. Requirement: External SD card
  4. Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
  5. Download the Safestrap APK
  6. Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
  7. (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
  8. Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
  9. Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
  10. Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
  11. From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
  12. That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

INSTALL VIDEO by DMX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZIyeUMK-Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
  • Push the APK up to your sdcard.
  • Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
  • Go into your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
  • THEN, open a "file explorer" of some sort (even TW "My Files" will work)
  • Browse to where you pushed the APK
  • Click on it and install like normal
  • Once installed, open the APK
  • Grant SU access
  • Use the "Install Recovery" button
  • All set, now you can reboot and re-activate whatever rom-slot you were using

KNOWN ISSUES:
SEE POST #2

DOWNLOADS:
CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING AN SM-9005 SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3

FIND YOUR STOCK OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION BELOW AND USE THAT FILENAME:

[KITKAT:ND3]
LATEST BETA FILE: Safestrap-HLTEXX-ND3-3.75-B01.apk

[JELLYBEAN]
LATEST FILE: Safestrap-HLTEXX-3.71-B02.apk

XDA Downloads
Mirror 1 (Crackflashers)

CHANGELOG
  • [2014-06-26] Updated hijack for KK bugs
  • [2014-06-26] Fixed ROM-SLOT support
  • [2014-06-26] Fixed internal storage mount issue
  • [2014-06-26] TWRP 2.7.1 base update
  • [2014-01-11] Initial SM-9005 release

As of version 3.6x, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

Special Thanks To
DeesTroy, bigbiff & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery

XDA:DevDB Information
Safestrap Recovery v3.71 (JB) / v3.75 B01 (KK/ND3), Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Contributors
Hashcode, DeesTroy, bigbiff & TeamWin

Version Information
Current Beta Version: v3.75 B01
Beta Release Date: 2014-06-26

Created 2014-01-12
Last Updated 2014-06-26

Last edited:

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Reserved

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • PLEASE USE STOCK TOUCHWIZ FROM SAMSUNG FOR YOUR STOCK ROM -- FLASH TO ROM-SLOTS
  • If you install Safestrap on a rom-slot it will show "not installed". *DO NOT INSTALL SAFESTRAP ON A ROM-SLOT*
  • Rebooting from a rom-slot will end up at a blank screen. Battery pull and re-power on.
  • Sometimes the installation doesn't work correctly. If you don't see the splashscreen after a rebooting. Install Safestrap again. (DEBUGGING THIS AS I GET TIME)
  • If you don't see files on "Micro SDcard" for some reason try tapping that area and swapping to "Internal Storage" and then back again.
  • No Aroma installer support. This is due to the stock S5 kernel framebuffer. To build a recovery which worked, it needed QCOM patches. So will Aroma.
    If you try a .zip file with an Aroma installer, it will most likely just hang.
  • If you use the "4way reboot" mod, then "Reboot Recovery" button in the Safestrap APK won't work correctly.

Last edited:

A.N.Droid

Dec 1, 2013
never thought it would be released for hltexx.
i read about it some time ago and was really surprised about the rom slots feature.
i like the idea of having an alternative rom on my device.
downloading it now, will give some feedback later.

TylerDurben

May 14, 2010
Thank you Hashcode!!!
Atm i can say that backuping works fine....looking for an second rom to test with X-Note as Stock, Aroma installer is not supported for now.....

Sent from my Safestraped SM-N9005 BlackBox

Last edited:

A.N.Droid

Dec 1, 2013
i successfully installed echoe rom 5 into rom slot 1 !
i like safestrap very much, easy to use and self explaining.
if you already have twrp installed, you do not loose it but you don´t need it anymore.
booting to recovery brings up your original twrp, a normal reboot shows the splash screen from where you can launch safestrap.
trying to install a rom with aroma installer of course doesn´t work but i tried just to see what happens :
the screen just freezes and you need to reboot by holding down the powerbutton, thats all.
you can restore a twrp backup of an aroma based rom, that you made from the stock rom slot, to another rom slot (i did it with a backup of bobcatrom).
but it looks like it uses the internal storage directory of the stock rom slot.
edit: seems like the original storage/emulated/0 is always used. i can see all the files from stock rom after installing a complete new rom.
so this isn´t really good for having 2 totally seperate operating systems installed, is it ?
have to read some more about it...

thanks a lot hashcode !

edit:
from the safestrap blog:
DON’T RESTORE A CUSTOM ROM-SLOT BACKUP TO THE STOCK ROM. THIS WILL MOST LIKELY BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Last edited:

fmotta

Jan 15, 2004
Great Job

Thanks Hashcode, great tool!

Using it on a SM N-9005 without problems except I have a couple of ROMs that do not activate Wi-Fi.
Any clues?

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
I would love to be able to use this on the N900T

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I've been using the AT&T Safestrap Recovery on my Tmobile N900T and it works perfect. I flashed the AT&T X-Note ROM port (in slot 1) that they have and it works fine on the N900T. It does install the AT&T CSC, but installing the TMO one causes crashing in the dialer (which also happens in the international rom currently out in the TMO forum). So, just keep the ATT CSC like it is. For Wi-Fi calling, I just boot back into the Stock slot and use the stock ROM.

The AT&T Safestrap: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2572978
The AT&T X-Note Port ROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2579773

Last edited:
Reactions: TylerDurben

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
CURRENT TESTS:
TEST #7: Restore stock ROM backup to stock slot: TESTING
TEST #8: Initial 2nd-init ROM installation on rom-slot RESULT: TESTING
TEST #9: Custom ROM flash on rom-slot: TESTING

Version Information

Created 2014-01-12
Last Updated 2014-01-11

If I understand correctly right now all ROM slots boot using (all of them) the same kernel (which of course must be stock Samsung kernel in order to keep knox 0x0).

This means that with kernel 4.3 (and corresponding bootloader) all slots must also be 4.3, while with kernel 4.4.2 (and corresponding bootloader) all slots must also be 4.4.2 - is that correct?

Will existing version work with 4.4.2 or a new version will be needed?

trader418

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 11, 2012
Will this ever be able to backup efs like the official twrp? Also will this ever support aroma? I know you said the kernal doesn't support it, but I was wondering how mobile Odin can do it without tripping knox

Love your work, it is working like a charm :D

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

sound2005

Mar 27, 2012
Hi Hashcode

Yipee!!!

I'm so glad you decided to release this on the n9005.
i'm off on the weekend, will test this and let you know the outcome!!!

Again

sound2005

Mar 27, 2012
@nguyenson318
Mirror 1: Goo.im Download <--- not working
Mirror 2: Crackflashers Download <--- is working

So far this is working perfectly on my note 3 n9005.
Have backup my stock (actual it a custom rom!!) and installed a couple of roms in the free slots and all is working.
Still testing the software out but its very good, esp. if you want to try all the rom being released without messing with your main system.

Still need to test whether restore works and at the moment i have notice that i still have CWM as my recovery but when booting to Safestrap TWRP takes over.

Like i said i'm still testing this great piece of software but Hashcode has done a great job making this work on the n9005

Well Done :)

sound2005

Mar 27, 2012
I download from n9005 note 3 (Next Browser) but only 0.1KB is stopped.

Here is the file

To mods, please remove this post if it violates the forum rules

To Hashcode, if you prefer people to download from your links provided i shall remove this post, i do not wish to cause you any offense.

Thanks for creating a killer app and i hope you keep on improving this product
If you wish me to test any aspect of your software on my handset, please let me know

Attachments

• Safestrap-HLTEXX-3.71-B02.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Reactions: nguyenson318

Nirak

Jan 7, 2007
I'm sorry if i sound like an absolute noob...but this requires root.
Afaik rooting the Note3 trips the Knox warranty flag......thus no more warranty.

Am I wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** DISCLAIMER ***
    I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.

THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.

[SM-N9005] Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Safestrap

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
    BETA

I had an XDA user request a build of Safestrap for the SM-N9005, and figured I might as well share it.

NOTE: Safestrap will not trip KNOX, because it doesn't not flash kernels
    I know that the N9005 is an unlockable device but some users may want to save the warranty and only mess around with TW-based ROMs. That's what Safestrap is for. If you're unlocked you probably want CWM / TWRP installed as your recovery so that you can flash AOSP-based ROMs.

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
    1. Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (2 on the N3 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for different sizes of /system, /data and /cache partitions. The defaults *SHOULD* be good enough for flashing the stock-based ROMs.

NOTE: The bigger you make these partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
    2. You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
    3. Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.
    4. For more information you can read up here:
      http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
    1. Requirement: Root
    2. [NEW FOR v3.75+ KK Safestrap] Requirement: busybox. If your stock ROM doesn't have it built-in you need to grab "Busybox" from the Play Store and run the installer.
    3. Requirement: External SD card
    4. Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
    5. Download the Safestrap APK
    6. Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
    7. (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
    8. Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
    9. Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
    10. Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
    11. From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
    12. That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

INSTALL VIDEO by DMX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZIyeUMK-Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
    Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).

• Grant SU access

KNOWN ISSUES:
    SEE POST #2

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING AN SM-9005 SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3

FIND YOUR STOCK OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION BELOW AND USE THAT FILENAME:

[JELLYBEAN]
    LATEST FILE: Safestrap-HLTEXX-3.71-B02.apk

XDA Downloads
    Mirror 1 (Crackflashers)

CHANGELOG
    • [2014-01-11] Initial SM-9005 release

As of version 3.6x, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

Special Thanks To
    DeesTroy, bigbiff & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery

XDA:DevDB Information
    Safestrap Recovery v3.71 (JB) / v3.75 B01 (KK/ND3), Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Contributors
    Hashcode, DeesTroy, bigbiff & TeamWin

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: v3.75 B01
    Beta Release Date: 2014-06-26

Created 2014-01-12
    Last Updated 2014-06-26
    Reserved

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • PLEASE USE STOCK TOUCHWIZ FROM SAMSUNG FOR YOUR STOCK ROM -- FLASH TO ROM-SLOTS
    • If you install Safestrap on a rom-slot it will show "not installed". *DO NOT INSTALL SAFESTRAP ON A ROM-SLOT*
    • Rebooting from a rom-slot will end up at a blank screen. Battery pull and re-power on.
    • Sometimes the installation doesn't work correctly. If you don't see the splashscreen after a rebooting. Install Safestrap again. (DEBUGGING THIS AS I GET TIME)
    • If you don't see files on "Micro SDcard" for some reason try tapping that area and swapping to "Internal Storage" and then back again.
    • No Aroma installer support. This is due to the stock S5 kernel framebuffer. To build a recovery which worked, it needed QCOM patches. So will Aroma.
    • If you use the "4way reboot" mod, then "Reboot Recovery" button in the Safestrap APK won't work correctly.
    I've uploaded a new beta for SM-N9005 Safestrap (International Version) for use with ND3 KK build.

• Grant SU access

KNOWN ISSUES:

CHANGELOG

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING AN INTERNATIONAL (SM-N9005) Note 3

XDA Downloads
    Mirror 1 (Crackflashers)

BETA WARNING! MAKE SURE TO KEEP STUFF ON YOUR EXTERNAL SD IN CASE OF INTERNAL STORAGE ERRORS.
    Thank you for this m8.

Anyone spoted a good s5 rom for our note3 without aroma? I dont seem to find anything.

send from my N9005 with tapatalk

if you wait 2-3 days i'm working on s5 porting rom without aroma and with stock kernel (you will have difficulties to find differeces). It's quite complete. I have just to edit the key button to make it like s5 (instead of menu appears recent apps). It should easier using xposed. But a good rom is without any external app.

After that i will do a tutorial about how to delete aroma. (it requires 2-3 minute if your pc is fast)

Just a few spoilers

9c57dd7c08bb535de82eb583fbe4a9ab.jpg

c3e6212c70c7e8d862add8733cdd8b09.jpg

f1a85288c53e3d202cec51089f005ef1.jpg