Recovery mode - debricked - yay

Search This thread

[email protected]

May 11, 2014
Great NEWS

I've been bricked for few day now.

While searching the web I found this OUYA forum post and thought it might work on th FTV too.

http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/1380/recovery-mode

I just had to try. IT WORKED!

1 - Plug in a USB keyboard. May have to be wired.
2 - While booting - Press Alt+PrintScreen/SysRq+I
3 - Repeat 1-3 times. You should get to Update screen.
4 - Press the HOME button on the keyboard.
5 - YOU HAVE RECOVERY MODE!

I selected Factory Reset.
It took a little longer to boot. Prompted for missing remote & press Home.
Signing in NOW!

Will add pictures doon.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vod5lhc5jvcegtv/20140629_195903.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qh6sbibugf5pbd/20140629_185422.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7faby39fkqd9gt/20140629_185430.jpg

Last edited:

[email protected]

May 11, 2014
Update:

I rebooted to see if I could get into recovery again.
I got back on the update screen but the Home button wouldn't put me in recovery mode this time. The KB seemed dead.

I was using the keyboard connected through a hub this time. Would that matter? IDK
Could not reboot with Ctrl-Alt-Del

Pulled the power plug & replugged and it booted fine.

{ParanoiA}

Apr 20, 2011
Ocean View, NJ
Great Find! :good:

EDIT: I just got to recovery by doing this:

1- boot up normally
2- adb shell
3- su
4- reboot recovery
5- at update failed screen press home
6- PROFIT??

Last edited:
Reactions: LiquidXed

[email protected]

May 11, 2014
Hey, dude, thats amazing!

Did you tried another options?

It's possible with mac keyboard, may be alternative combination exists.
There's not printscreen button on keyboard.

Thanks -
No, on the other options.
I thought for sure the factory reset would let me boot my FTV again - and it did.

I don't k know about mac KBds

[email protected]

May 11, 2014

1- boot up normally
2- adb shell
3- su
4- reboot recovery
5- at update failed screen press key combo- alt + print screen + i
6- back at update failed screen press home
7- PROFIT??

I'm sure your way is the preferred way.
It feels good to be able to boot up normally again.

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY

1- boot up normally
2- adb shell
3- su
4- reboot recovery
5- at update failed screen press key combo- alt + print screen + i
6- back at update failed screen press home
7- PROFIT??

This is nothing new (using adb to reboot into recovery). But it's not useful when you brick the OS and there is no ADB.

The OP found the way into the recovery w/o an OS, which is pretty key to unbrick your firetv, as long as you have a working recovery partition. Now we can also do complete flashes via update from adb (which probably allows sideloading the OTA packages).

fireTVnews.com

Jun 6, 2014
www.fireTVnews.com
Can someone give precise instructions to navigate the "update screen menu" blind? On my TV, the menu is completely cropped out. I don't even know if it's appearing when I press Home.

1. Does the menu come up instantly when you press Home on the Update Failed Screen?
  2. Is it okay to press Home several times, or does that make the menu go away/toggle?
  3. When you press Home, is the first menu item already selected or do you need to press down once to highlight the first menu item?
  4. To get to the factory reset options do you press: Home > Down > Down > Enter?

Also, has anyone tried the "update from ADB" option? Does this enable ADB? Is it ADB over wifi or usb only? I ask mainly because factory reseting doesn't help those with a "host file softbrick" (where a modified host file is blocking initial registration). Those people need a way to get to the host file, which factory reseting doesn't touch.

[email protected]

May 11, 2014
Can someone give precise instructions to navigate the "update screen menu" blind? On my TV, the menu is completely cropped out. I don't even know if it's appearing when I press Home.

1. Does the menu come up instantly when you press Home on the Update Failed Screen?
  2. Is it okay to press Home several times, or does that make the menu go away/toggle?
  3. When you press Home, is the first menu item already selected or do you need to press down once to highlight the first menu item?
  4. To get to the factory reset options do you press: Home > Down > Down > Enter?

Also, has anyone tried the "update from ADB" option? Does this enable ADB? Is it ADB over wifi or usb only? I ask mainly because factory reseting doesn't help those with a "host file softbrick" (where a modified host file is blocking initial registration). Those people need a way to get to the host file, which factory reseting doesn't touch.

Hope this helps. Better pic. FTV recovery menu looks just like the ouya.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?4247-How-To-Put-OUYA-In-Recovery-Mode

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011

Stock recovery does not work with ADB over USB. And it doesn't have ethernet or wifi drivers. So "update from ADB", which is sideload, will not work on stock recovery.

On the Fire TV, do you navigate the recovery menu with the keyboard up/down arrows?

You can use the keyboard arrows, but the keyboard must be plugged in before recovery starts.

Reactions: fireTVnews.com

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011

I thought alwaysbless was host softbricked, actually.

Maybe the factory reset in recovery is more thorough than the one coming from the gui?

Top Liked Posts