[RECOVERY][MT6735] TWRP-3.0.2 for Lenovo Tab3 7 (TB3-730X)

Search This thread

0xAF

Apr 18, 2008
Code:
#include 
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this Recovery
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/
http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fh2zjkNt.jpg

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
[/CENTER]

Credits:
- TWRP Team

Device: Lenovo Tab3 7 Tablet - TB3-730X
Do not flash this on TB3-730F. The F model has different chipset and this recovery will softbrick it.
@sun_dream reported that 730F is working. So you can probably flash it, but be prepared with OFW, in case something goes wrong.

Instructions:
IMPORTANT: read all instructions at least once, before starting.
Note: If you're are a newbie, you can read more detailed instructions by honzazkrumlova here
- Download from link below.
- Enable "USB debugging" from developer options.
- Enable "OEM Unlocking" from developer options.
- Reboot device in Fastboot Mode (Bootloader mode), either with "adb reboot bootloader" or with VolDown+Power, to enter Recovery mode and then select "Reboot into bootloader"
- Unlock the bootloader with "fastboot flashing unlock" or "fastboot oem unlock" and follow the instructions on the tablet. (WARNING: This will erase all your data - Factory Reset)
- Once unlocked, you can use "fastboot boot TWRP_3.0.2_Lenovo_TB3-730X_Android-6.0_recovery.img" to start TWRP.
- When TWRP ask to modify system partition, answer "NO". Otherwise you will soft-brick your device and you will have to flash the original firmware and start from the beginning.
- If you want root - flash SuperSU, or as the user @Kellicros reported, you can flash Magisk 11.1.
- If you want XPosed, get it here.
- If you want to permanently flash the recovery, use "fastboot flash recovery TWRP_3.0.2_Lenovo_TB3-730X_Android-6.0_recovery.img".
- If you use it on any other Lenovo Tab3 7 device, please post the model.
- Thanks is always welcome.

Downloads:
TWRP_3.0.2_Lenovo_TB3-730X_Android-6.0_recovery.zip (well tested, consider it stable)
TWRP_3.1.1_Lenovo_TB3-730X_Android-6.0_recovery.zip

Unbrick your device:
Follow this thread

Last edited:

beldy

Jul 9, 2010
Prague
Hello
I have the same tablet (TB3-730X) and I tried this recovery, but something I did wrong.
Recovery by my works without problems, but now I can no longer boot into the system, I probably deleted it ...
After restarting the tablet always I return to Recovery and you can not flash the firmware because they can not find a version of the 730X (MTK MT8735P)
Can I use the firmware version for TB3-710 or 730F (MTK MT8161P)

Thanks for any advice, and thanks for Recovery.)

Last edited:

0xAF

Apr 18, 2008
Hello
I have the same tablet (TB3-730X) and I tried this recovery, but something I did wrong.
Recovery by my works without problems, but now I can no longer boot into the system, I probably deleted it ...
After restarting the tablet always I return to Recovery and you can not flash the firmware because they can not find a version of the 730X (MTK MT8735P)
Can I use the firmware version for TB3-710 or 730F (MTK MT8161P)

Thanks for any advice, and thanks for Recovery.)

Hi.
When TWRP is started for the first time, it asks to modify the system partition.
I answered NO, NEVER. I saw some posts about other MTK devices and other people seems to have problems like yours when TWRP modify the system partition.
Is this your case?
If yes, then you need to download the original firmware and flash it on the device. After that you need to flash the recovery again.
I've downloaded the original firmware from Russian forum (this post: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=731493&st=20#entry52434543). Here is direct link: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Fjd9/u7e8mUbhq )
This is the last TB3-730X firmware. Do not try 710 firmwares, they should not work and it is probably dangerous to flash it. I dont know for 730F, this one could work, but anyway, download the the 730X firmware from the link above.
I guess you will need the SPFlash Tool to flash the firmware.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

beldy

Jul 9, 2010
Prague
Thank you for the link ...
so probably it is my case that TWRP modify the system partition ... try this firmware and send the result ..
Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

DonKapselo

Oct 3, 2016
I can confirm that Tab3 730x is checking if even TWRP is running (fastboot boot twrp.bin) and delete/modify system partition. TWRP not ask for modify system partition after first boot. Tablet stay on Lenovo logo forever. My firmware version is TB3-730X_S030_160509_ROW. Also in my model is not possible to read/write flash by FlashTool. I always get error 0x7D4, no matter what version I use, even after unlock bootloader. I have also try descibed firmware TB3-730X_S033_160707_ROW but this one cannot be flashed in fastboot mode. It says wrong binary (all files have in name _signed so probably different structure). It's seems that Polish Tab3 tb3-730X tablets are better protected than Russian.
0xAF can You post link to FlashTool what you used to flash your tablet?

[EDIT]
This time i get it working :) 0xAF are you mean first screen when TWRP start and there is swipe button? I Always swipe and this killed system partition I think. Btw do you both can flash this tablet with FlashTool?

Last edited:

0xAF

Apr 18, 2008
I can confirm that Tab3 730x is checking if even TWRP is running (fastboot boot twrp.bin) and delete/modify system partition. TWRP not ask for modify system partition after first boot. Tablet stay on Lenovo logo forever. My firmware version is TB3-730X_S030_160509_ROW. Also in my model is not possible to read/write flash by FlashTool. I always get error 0x7D4, no matter what version I use, even after unlock bootloader. I have also try descibed firmware TB3-730X_S033_160707_ROW but this one cannot be flashed in fastboot mode. It says wrong binary (all files have in name _signed so probably different structure). It's seems that Polish Tab3 tb3-730X tablets are better protected than Russian.
0xAF can You post link to FlashTool what you used to flash your tablet?

[EDIT]
This time i get it working :) 0xAF are you mean first screen when TWRP start and there is swipe button? I Always swipe and this killed system partition I think. Btw do you both can flash this tablet with FlashTool?

When you start the TWRP for the first time, it will ask to do something on system partition. I cannot remember if it was "Yes/No" answer, or a swipe. Just don't let TWRP touch the system partition.

After unlocking the bootloader with fastboot, you can flash the recovery with fastboot if you want, but first try to boot it, as described in the first post.

If you're going to flash the original firmware from the links above, then you will need SPFlash Tool, because the images (dumps) are made with SPFlash Tool and you cannot directly flash them with fastboot.

For bootloader unlocking, you can try this command: "fastboot oem unlock", while you're in the bootloader.
Did you enabled the "OEM Unlocking" from the "Developer Options" menu?
On my device, I was able to unlock it (after enabling "OEM Unlocking" option) with "fastboot flashing unlock".

beldy

Jul 9, 2010
Prague
"I have also try descibed firmware TB3-730X_S033_160707_ROW but this one cannot be flashed in fastboot mode. "
not to flash, always ends with an error 0x7D4 .....

Attachments

• 0x7D4.jpg
    0x7D4.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 2,315

0xAF

Apr 18, 2008
"I have also try descibed firmware TB3-730X_S033_160707_ROW but this one cannot be flashed in fastboot mode. "
not to flash, always ends with an error 0x7D4 .....

Is your bootloader unlocked?
see the "fastboot" command manual, to check if it is unlocked.

DonKapselo

Oct 3, 2016
When you start the TWRP for the first time, it will ask to do something on system partition. I cannot remember if it was "Yes/No" answer, or a swipe. Just don't let TWRP touch the system partition.

After unlocking the bootloader with fastboot, you can flash the recovery with fastboot if you want, but first try to boot it, as described in the first post.

If you're going to flash the original firmware from the links above, then you will need SPFlash Tool, because the images (dumps) are made with SPFlash Tool and you cannot directly flash them with fastboot.

For bootloader unlocking, you can try this command: "fastboot oem unlock", while you're in the bootloader.
Did you enabled the "OEM Unlocking" from the "Developer Options" menu?
On my device, I was able to unlock it (after enabling "OEM Unlocking" option) with "fastboot flashing unlock".

Thanks. Now all working I just swipe button thinking that is locking button.
About flashing problem. I cannot flash with FlashTool because I have 0x7D4 error, same as beldy. I have try different cables, 3 computer, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 - same.
I have unlocked bootloader with "fastboot oem unlock". Without it TWRP cannot be installer or booted. Before I enabled "OEM Unlocking" from the "Developer Options" menu. After it, phone format byself but still cannot flash.
I killed pcs one and send to service. Tablet cannot go into recovery. When it back I see some scratches on cover, like was opened. Maybe they used TestPoint to fix it.

0xAF

Apr 18, 2008
Thanks. Now all working I just swipe button thinking that is locking button.
About flashing problem. I cannot flash with FlashTool because I have 0x7D4 error, same as beldy. I have try different cables, 3 computer, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 - same.
I have unlocked bootloader with "fastboot oem unlock". Without it TWRP cannot be installer or booted. Before I enabled "OEM Unlocking" from the "Developer Options" menu. After it, phone format byself but still cannot flash.
I killed pcs one and send to service. Tablet cannot go into recovery. When it back I see some scratches on cover, like was opened. Maybe they used TestPoint to fix it.

I'm glad you've solved the problem. I dont know what is 0x7D4 error. It could be some sort of extra locking of the device, but I doubt it. It's more likely to be something related to SPFlash Tools. It could be also a broken firmware, I haven't tried to flash the firmware from the links I've provided. I only used the Original Firmware to extract the original recovery from there. I needed the original kernel from the recovery to be able to start the TWRP.
A fast look in google gives this:
Error 0×7D4
Meaning: SP Flash tool encountered an error writing to the phone
Solution
* Try using a different USB cord, PC port and PC
* Use the latest version of SP flash tool
* Ensure the battery is well charged and the phone's USB port isn't faulty
But I guess it's not very helpful.

Last edited:

DonKapselo

Oct 3, 2016
I'm glad you've solved the problem. I dont know what is 0x7D4 error. It could be some sort of extra locking of the device, but I doubt it. It's more likely to be something related to SPFlash Tools. It could be also a broken firmware, I haven't tried to flash the firmware from the links I've provided. I only used the Original Firmware to extract the original recovery from there. I needed the original kernel from the recovery to be able to start the TWRP.
A fast look in google gives this:

But I guess it's not very helpful.

Just try to read flash, it's safe. I can bet You will get error 0x7D4 or 2004 (depend of version of flashtool). It's extra locked for sure. Btw. why You need original recovery to start TWRP? Maybe You mean that You need it to compile TWRP for this tablet model? :)

0xAF

Apr 18, 2008
Just try to read flash, it's safe. I can bet You will get error 0x7D4 or 2004 (depend of version of flashtool). It's extra locked for sure. Btw. why You need original recovery to start TWRP? Maybe You mean that You need it to compile TWRP for this tablet model? :)

The easiest way to port TWRP is to get it from another device with the same chipset and cpu. I did not wanted to prepare a toolchain/crosscompiler and start from the beginning to compile TWRP. So I took a TWRP from another tablet (DOOGEE_X6pro_Android6.0_20160707). Since it has a recent version of TWRP and is compiled for android 6.
Then all you need is to replace the kernel in this recovery, so we are booting with the kernel for our device. I needed the kernel from our original recovery for that. Then I've touched some files inside the recovery, fixed the fstab and default.prop and repackaged the recovery image.
This is the easiest way to port the recovery IMO. Took me 15-20 mins with all the testing.
This procedure work for any recovery, not only TWRP.
I guess, I could have dumped the original recovery from the device, but since I was looking for custom recovery for some time, I found the dump in the russian forum and downloaded it. So when I decided to port TWRP, I already had the recovery from the dump.

Last edited:

0xAF

Apr 18, 2008
Thanks for info :) Any link to step by step how to replace kernet, what data change?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwMFBuCY-5k
I saw this video and decided to follow the steps.
You will need some intuition about the files you need to change inside the new recovery, as the video shows that only the fstab is needed, but you need more files, like default.prop and some other device dependent files from the original recovery (mostly in root folder).
In this recovery, I've used the default.prop from the original recovery.
As for the fstab, you will need to convert it by hand to a format understandable by TWRP. I've used the TWRP fstab file from the other device (from which I took the recovery in first place) and adopted it to our device. IIRC, almost nothing had to be changed.
I've copied some other device dependent files from the original recovery too.

Since I'm on linux, I've used these tools:
https://github.com/osm0sis/Android-Image-Kitchen.git
https://github.com/osm0sis/mkbootfs/
https://github.com/osm0sis/mkbootimg/

The tools are also available for windows (as the video shows) and for android itself (I believe the CF-SuperSU uses them on android to repack the boot.img).
These tools can repack recovery.img and boot.img.

beldy

Jul 9, 2010
Prague
Is your bootloader unlocked?
see the "fastboot" command manual, to check if it is unlocked.

yes bootloader is unlocked by command fastboot oem unlock...

It managed to someone already listed above to flash firmware in fastboot mode?
When you turn on the tablet remains lit Lenovo logo, and that's the end ...
Tablet can not even charged because, in the power cable connection tablet immediately turn on and loading TWRP or Lenovo logo screen

I am not progressed and I would appreciate if someone added original recovery or something what my tablet to function again

thx

Last edited:

0xAF

Apr 18, 2008
yes bootloader is unlocked by command fastboot oem unlock...

It managed to someone already listed above to flash firmware in fastboot mode?
When you turn on the tablet remains lit Lenovo logo, and that's the end ...
Tablet can not even charged because, in the power cable connection tablet immediately turn on and loading TWRP or Lenovo logo screen

I am not progressed and I would appreciate if someone added original recovery or something what my tablet to function again

thx

Hi.
I'll make a dump of my system partition and post a link.
Unfortunately my system partition is not like in the original from the OTA ROM.
I've patched it with xposed and removed some ****ty apps from the OTA ROM.

Meanwhile if someone have OTA ROM, I would appreciate a link.

(you could try asking the Lenovo support for the OTA ROM).

Last edited:

beldy

Jul 9, 2010
Prague
Hi.
I'll make a dump of my system partition and post a link.
Unfortunately my system partition is not like in the original from the OTA ROM.
I've patched it with xposed and removed some ****ty apps from the OTA ROM.

Meanwhile if someone have OTA ROM, I would appreciate a link.

(you could try asking the Lenovo support for the OTA ROM).

Thanks for the answer and advice to try anything that can help me :)
Thx

//EDIT: I add a few screens that I made an attempt to flash ... maybe you help someone ..

Attachments

• 0x7D5.jpg
    0x7D5.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 823
  • 0x1388.jpg
    0x1388.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 803
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:

Erna1

Jul 1, 2009
Germany
Hello,
Got the Lenovo TAB3-730M.
What SuperSU.zip do I have to take to get "root"?
The "SR3-SuperSU-v2.78-SR3-20161103171345.zip" does not work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include 
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this Recovery
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */
    http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fh2zjkNt.jpg

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
    [/CENTER]

Credits:
    - TWRP Team

Device: Lenovo Tab3 7 Tablet - TB3-730X
    Do not flash this on TB3-730F. The F model has different chipset and this recovery will softbrick it.
    @sun_dream reported that 730F is working. So you can probably flash it, but be prepared with OFW, in case something goes wrong.

Instructions:
    IMPORTANT: read all instructions at least once, before starting.
    Note: If you're are a newbie, you can read more detailed instructions by honzazkrumlova here
    - Download from link below.
    - Enable "USB debugging" from developer options.
    - Enable "OEM Unlocking" from developer options.
    - Reboot device in Fastboot Mode (Bootloader mode), either with "adb reboot bootloader" or with VolDown+Power, to enter Recovery mode and then select "Reboot into bootloader"
    - Unlock the bootloader with "fastboot flashing unlock" or "fastboot oem unlock" and follow the instructions on the tablet. (WARNING: This will erase all your data - Factory Reset)
    - Once unlocked, you can use "fastboot boot TWRP_3.0.2_Lenovo_TB3-730X_Android-6.0_recovery.img" to start TWRP.
    - When TWRP ask to modify system partition, answer "NO". Otherwise you will soft-brick your device and you will have to flash the original firmware and start from the beginning.
    - If you want root - flash SuperSU, or as the user @Kellicros reported, you can flash Magisk 11.1.
    - If you want XPosed, get it here.
    - If you want to permanently flash the recovery, use "fastboot flash recovery TWRP_3.0.2_Lenovo_TB3-730X_Android-6.0_recovery.img".
    - If you use it on any other Lenovo Tab3 7 device, please post the model.
    - Thanks is always welcome.

Downloads:
    TWRP_3.0.2_Lenovo_TB3-730X_Android-6.0_recovery.zip (well tested, consider it stable)
    TWRP_3.1.1_Lenovo_TB3-730X_Android-6.0_recovery.zip

Unbrick your device:
    Follow this thread
    Thanks for the info, I've updated the OP, to link to your post.

yes, this would be helpful for many users:D
    Strange.
    TWRP does not depend on your /system/build.prop... it has it's own.
    If you have problems with TWRP, then the problem should be somewhere else.
    Perhaps hardware problem?
    Think again what have you done so far and what could be the root of the problem.

So far,,
    About 6 months ago, I installed twrp and was working,by mistake I broke screen but still working well, wiped entire system including bootloader, than tab was useless since than,
    I dissembled each part of tab and reassembled too,
    I flashed OFW and tab is again working great but whenever I try to install twrp,first it runs open recovery script and shows mount error so there is mount issue,storage is shown null(0mb),and device gets bootloop and bricked, so I have to again flash OFW to make tab alive,
    Dont know where problem is occurring
    May be because I have Indian verient and firmware is for another country verient

---------- Post added at 04:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 AM ----------

Yesterday, when for first time I installed twrp, it asked for some decryption password
    Dont know what is that! Is that issue because of encrypted system or something?
    apparently, with the brick, a connection error came because my tablet was keeping connecting and disconnecting from the pc so the SPFT couldn't do anything, all i got from the tool was a blank window and continuous connected/disconnected sounds from the os (windows 10). Googled after it and took all usb cables i could find in my house and tried and eventualy (6th cable) it started downloading!!!
    YOU just unbricked my tablet! THANK YOU!

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

So now, i have to start all over again with the TWRP but first of all, boot in it and do a backup and after this, flash it with adb!!! It have 10% battery right now, so i will do it later and hopefully i will succeed!
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help!

You Are Most Welcome

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Thanks for the info, I've updated the OP, to link to your post.

https://xdaforums.com/general/rooting-roms/mt6735-stock-firmware-unbrick-lenovo-t3695575

I just created a Thread regarding firmware flashing,
    new issue is coming out,twrp showing all storages 0 MB
    and there is some type of bootloop of twrp