[RECOVERY][ocn] TWRP touch recovery

Search This thread

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Unfortunately not all commands works with this TWRP because it is on toybox. With TWRP v3.3.0-0 not possible to apply methods:
- Downgrade with S-ON;
- Change СID with S-ON.
P.S. Not for all CIDs there are available last RUUs and we have to use Downgrade method to fix device at appearing some troubles to flash a RUU.
Bet you didn't expect to see me here...;)

The above issue is in the process of being fixed with a patch on Gerrit. Once that patch is merged (likely tonight, or at the latest, over the weekend/early next week), I will have an updated device version run with the updated dd binary. I have already tested the dd command with "seek" to confirm that it runs without an error. I was previously having some issues with the grep binary as well, and I submitted a patch that'll fix that too. At this point, building with toybox should be as good (or possibly better) than building with busybox, now that we're using the proper versions of the tools. @osm0sis was very helpful is providing a link to the Google documentation around which tools we should be using, so I thank him for that :).

If you're wondering why I'm here posting, I recently handed off maintainership of the U Ultra to @tarkzim, and in the process, he took ownership of a couple of my posts. So I ended up being 2 down from 20K. I made one post in the A9 TWRP thread, because I finally conquered a longstanding issue with decryption on LineageOS over there, and felt it warranted a victory lap :cool:. And since this device is still my daily, and will always be my most current device, I figured I would check in here too, especially since @ziand posted about that issue (which I've been working on for the U12+ too, but we ended up solving a different way) and I've been working with @bigbiff for some weeks on creating a fix for it, which is finally complete.

Hopefully official Pie for this device is just around the corner, and then maybe I'll have more work to do (though the current version of TWRP *should* decrypt Pie just fine). Guess I'll see when (if) it happens. So, this will once again be my last post, unless I somehow lose a few more, though I don't expect to.

Cap

P.S. If the latest TWRP doesn't flash your ROM, go tell your ROM maintainer to update their scripts to call the sh, dd and/or unzip binaries directly, like I've been telling most of them for the past several years. I'm pretty sure @LeeDroid made those updates a while ago, and I thought the Viper Devs did too, but maybe not all of them (or maybe all of the Sense ROMs for this device are old). Don't go blaming TWRP for your issues. TWRP continues to be updated as Android gets updated. So, try and make sure you and your devs keep up ;).

P.P.S. Don't forget that you can join me in the TWRP Testing Slack (link is in OP) if you want access to new features early or if you want to help test! You can also just pop in and say hi if you miss me too much, lol.

Last edited:

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
Now dd commands work perfect.. checking other things...

Thank you very much to all TWRP Team and personally for help to @Captain_Throwback
2019-05-23_20-01-45.png

Brds7t7

Sep 25, 2010
Nottingham
Alright guys, I'm a little stuck here. I've just updated my TWRP to latest version on the website. Have updated TWRP previously and never had any issues, but with this update I'm getting a Decrypt Data prompt at the TWRP screen and it's asking me for a password. At the time of updating, I didn't even have a password set, so I've just cancelled the prompt for now.
I've tried to look for lockscreen.db files, but all my internal storage is showing as blank (0MB) in TWRP. Should i delete these files when booted into Android?

I can boot into the phone and see my files and have backed them up, so no issues there. But what's the best course of action now? Should I format data and restore a previous backup? Or is there an easier solution to getting around the Decrypt Data issue?

Last edited:

Brds7t7

Sep 25, 2010
Nottingham
What base are you on?

Hi, It's 1.27.401.12 I'm still running a Nougat ROM

Ahhhh, I've just noticed in the OP about Nougat ROMs..... OOPS!

I'll try and restore an older TWRP and see if that solves the issue.

EDIT: Problem solved guys! I tried flashing 3.2.3, but that didn't work, so then flashed 3.2.2 and finally got into TWRP without the Decrypt Data screen and it's seeing all my files again! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomPooka
Hi, It's 1.27.401.12 I'm still running a Nougat ROM

Ahhhh, I've just noticed in the OP about Nougat ROMs..... OOPS!

I'll try and restore an older TWRP and see if that solves the issue.

EDIT: Problem solved guys! I tried flashing 3.2.3, but that didn't work, so then flashed 3.2.2 and finally got into TWRP without the Decrypt Data screen and it's seeing all my files again! :D

Yeah may have to go back even more if you can

Reactions: Brds7t7

Muxeu

Jul 13, 2010
Kharkiv
Google Pixel 6 Pro
TWRP 3.3.1-0 doesn't take my PIN for decrypt data.
The system (Pie 3.22.709.2)takes it and works properly.
Should we wait update for Pie?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-30-11-33-39.png
    Screenshot_2019-05-30-11-33-39.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 202
  • recovery.log
    26.6 KB · Views: 11

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    3.1.1-2_UNOFFICIAL with Oreo decrypt support posted!

A new unofficial TWRP has been posted to the Downloads tab with Oreo decrypt support. It also works with Nougat decryption. And it includes several yet-to-be-merged fixes/updates. See the OP for all relevant changes and issues.

Since it uses a prebuilt kernel, I had to break "reboot recovery" functionality to allow touch to work when the recovery is flashed. Once kernel source is available, I can patch it properly.

One last note - I'll continue updating TWRP as needed, but I won't be posting anymore on the forums once I reach 20,000 posts (it seems like a good number to go out on). I'll also be asking the mods to retire my titles. It's been fun, but this has all become too time-consuming and I need to spend time on more important things. I appreciate all the support I've received over the years from the community. I'll still be around, just behind the scenes now ;).
    Code:
    *** Disclaimer ***

All flashing is done at your own risk!
    While nothing from this thread should break your device,
    don't come back here blaming anyone if it does!
    Introduction
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Images

Prerequisites

Installation instructions
    Fastboot Install Method:
    You will need the platform-tools from the Android SDK on your computer. Find the Android command line tools section on the page linked and install the SDK tools package. From the SDK Manager, download only the platform-tools to get adb and fastboot binaries.

Windows users will need proper drivers installed on their computer. You can try the Naked ADB drivers or the Universal ADB drivers if you don't already have a working driver installed

On your device, go into Settings -> About and find the Build Number and tap on it 7 times to enable developer settings. Press back and go into Developer Options and enable USB debugging. From your computer, open a command prompt and type:
    Code:
    adb reboot download
    You should now be in fastboot mode.

Download the correct image file and copy the file into the same folder as your adb and fastboot binaries. Rename the image to twrp.img and type:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

Alternate Installation Method (requires prior TWRP installation):
    TWRP Image Install method:
    Most devices can be updated quickly and easily within TWRP if you already have version 2.8.4.0 or higher installed.
    1. Download the latest version of TWRP appropriate for your device/firmware
    2. Reboot to TWRP
    3. Hit Install and tap the "Install Image" button in the lower right
    4. Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
    5. Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash

Device Changelog
    Current version: 3.5.1_9-0:
    Older Device-specific versions:
    3.4.0-0:
    3.2.3-1:
    • Updates to support AOSP Pie decryption

3.2.1-2:
    • Use /persist as Qualcomm time fix source during early boot
      - Fixes broken time issue on Oreo firmware

3.2.1-1:
    • Update to source-built kernel (2.31.709.1_R2) - fixes "reboot recovery" issue
    • Code cleanup

3.1.1-2:
    • Updated kernel to Oreo 2.31.709.1 prebuilt (patched for working touch)
    • Add support for Oreo decryption (BIG thanks to @nkk71)
    • Disable f2fs & NTFS support (until kernel can be built from source to support them)

3.1.1-1:
    • Updated kernel to 1.28 WHL source
    • Enable f2fs support
    • Enable NTFS support
    • Add /persist to recovery fstab (for future compatibility)

TWRP Official Change Log

Downloads

Known Issues
    Device-specific
    • Stock Pie-based ROMs cannot be decrypted by TWRP.
    • As of version 3.3.0, stock Nougat can no longer be decrypted. Use 3.2.3 or older if you are still running stock Nougat.
    TWRP Upstream
    • Encrypted backups are broken - DO NOT USE THIS FEATURE!!

Bug Reporting
    If you have an issue, the first step is to post a recovery log so we can determine the cause of the issue. This is done in recovery using Advanced -> Copy Log, or adb pull /tmp/recovery.log. Once a log is uploaded we can determine how best to proceed. NOTE: Posts that are reporting bugs or issues without an accompanying recovery log will be ignored! Additionally, providing details about your device setup, including variant, firmware version, and exact steps to reproduce your issue will also be helpful in diagnosing the problem.
    4rev3d.jpg

If your issue is determined to be a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to contact us via our website. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!
    TWRP support for the U11 is now official! I'm listed as the maintainer, although I still don't have the device. Hopefully nothing breaks anytime soon, lol...

P.S. I removed the unofficial version from the Downloads tab as it should no longer be needed - the official is newer and better :)
    Unfortunately not all commands works with this TWRP because it is on toybox. With TWRP v3.3.0-0 not possible to apply methods:
    - Downgrade with S-ON;
    - Change СID with S-ON.
    P.S. Not for all CIDs there are available last RUUs and we have to use Downgrade method to fix device at appearing some troubles to flash a RUU.
    Bet you didn't expect to see me here...;)

The above issue is in the process of being fixed with a patch on Gerrit. Once that patch is merged (likely tonight, or at the latest, over the weekend/early next week), I will have an updated device version run with the updated dd binary. I have already tested the dd command with "seek" to confirm that it runs without an error. I was previously having some issues with the grep binary as well, and I submitted a patch that'll fix that too. At this point, building with toybox should be as good (or possibly better) than building with busybox, now that we're using the proper versions of the tools. @osm0sis was very helpful is providing a link to the Google documentation around which tools we should be using, so I thank him for that :).

If you're wondering why I'm here posting, I recently handed off maintainership of the U Ultra to @tarkzim, and in the process, he took ownership of a couple of my posts. So I ended up being 2 down from 20K. I made one post in the A9 TWRP thread, because I finally conquered a longstanding issue with decryption on LineageOS over there, and felt it warranted a victory lap :cool:. And since this device is still my daily, and will always be my most current device, I figured I would check in here too, especially since @ziand posted about that issue (which I've been working on for the U12+ too, but we ended up solving a different way) and I've been working with @bigbiff for some weeks on creating a fix for it, which is finally complete.

Hopefully official Pie for this device is just around the corner, and then maybe I'll have more work to do (though the current version of TWRP *should* decrypt Pie just fine). Guess I'll see when (if) it happens. So, this will once again be my last post, unless I somehow lose a few more, though I don't expect to.

Cap

P.S. If the latest TWRP doesn't flash your ROM, go tell your ROM maintainer to update their scripts to call the sh, dd and/or unzip binaries directly, like I've been telling most of them for the past several years. I'm pretty sure @LeeDroid made those updates a while ago, and I thought the Viper Devs did too, but maybe not all of them (or maybe all of the Sense ROMs for this device are old). Don't go blaming TWRP for your issues. TWRP continues to be updated as Android gets updated. So, try and make sure you and your devs keep up ;).

P.P.S. Don't forget that you can join me in the TWRP Testing Slack (link is in OP) if you want access to new features early or if you want to help test! You can also just pop in and say hi if you miss me too much, lol.