• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL][3.3.1-x] TWRP for Galaxy A5/A7 (2017)

Search This thread

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
The rom's thread didn't say anything about that. I've never done anything like that for other roms in other phones
I just checked and the zip seems fine visually. Are you using an up to date TWRP?
Also have you tried to extract the zip to check it's integrity?
If this fails then it is indeed corrupt.

Reactions: CardGeek

CardGeek

May 29, 2019
I just checked and the zip seems fine visually. Are you using an up to date TWRP?
Also have you tried to extract the zip to check it's integrity?
If this fails then it is indeed corrupt.
Yes latest version
Also tried previous official twrp versions and no matter what version I used it gave always the same error
Also with the other rom I linked previously, same error
But with magisk zip and others (rmm removal and no Verity opt encrypt) everything works fine
I'll try downloading the rom zip One more time

EDIT: I checked the md5 checksum and it was different. So I redownloaded the zip and this time it worked with no problems. I don't know what kind of problem did my pc have when I downloaded the file but now everything is fine. Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Quidagis

Jun 26, 2011
a7y17lte TWRP not for Snapdragon 425?

@corsicanu

So, just to make sure and don't waste time trying.

Your version of TWRP won't install on my SM-T385M? AIDA64 shows CPU SoCModel is Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 (MSM8917).

Thanks.

BavoV

Apr 22, 2014
Antwerp
I use the LOS 16 beta Custom rom. I have SD formatted as internal memory. I use Magisk. Now I would like to encrypt the phone. Is it decryptble in TWRP? Or does this TWRP samsung A5 version not support encryption.

If it does not support encryption, then that means I can encrypt if I want to but when I need to resart from TWRP and install the custom rom again, I loose all data as it can not be decrypted with twrp, right?

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
I use the LOS 16 beta Custom rom. I have SD formatted as internal memory. I use Magisk. Now I would like to encrypt the phone. Is it decryptble in TWRP? Or does this TWRP samsung A5 version not support encryption.

If it does not support encryption, then that means I can encrypt if I want to but when I need to resart from TWRP and install the custom rom again, I loose all data as it can not be decrypted with twrp, right?
If you're using the SD as internal storage then you're already encrypted by default.

Last edited:

BavoV

Apr 22, 2014
Antwerp
I have an encrypted A520F with Magisk 19.2
What is the way to update magisk to 19.3? Before that was easy in magisk master but now I only have two options download zip or select tar or img.

Can I safely sideload the magisk zip in twrp? Twrp for A520F does not support encrypted device I pressume.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
I have an encrypted A520F with Magisk 19.2
What is the way to update magisk to 19.3? Before that was easy in magisk master but now I only have two options download zip or select tar or img.

Can I safely sideload the magisk zip in twrp? Twrp for A520F does not support encrypted device I pressume.
Just let Magisk manager do the update via zip or are you saying no direct install available?

BavoV

Apr 22, 2014
Antwerp
no direct install available. Before encrypting I could do a direct install. Now only download zip or select img or tar.

Is it save to sideload the zip with twrp or will it break things as the encrypted device does not have access to the magisk files?

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
no direct install available. Before encrypting I could do a direct install. Now only download zip or select img or tar.

Is it save to sideload the zip with twrp or will it break things as the encrypted device does not have access to the magisk files?
Most devices are encrypted nowadays and was under the impression this doesn't cause an issue with direct install as the device already has root.

As for via TWRP it should work as Magisk handles encrypted devices. Whether it will work on an encrypted Samsung device is another matter.
It either will or it won't, but shouldn't break anything either way.

Reactions: BavoV

mcvisster

Sep 1, 2013
One question. Im on oreo and want to flash los16. When installing twrp do i need to flash "no-verity-no-encrypt_6.0" or no?

Simon1511

Recognized Developer
One question. Im on oreo and want to flash los16. When installing twrp do i need to flash "no-verity-no-encrypt_6.0" or no?
You only need "no-verity-no-encrypt" when you are on Stock ROM. If you want to install LineageOS (or any other ROM than Stock ROM) you wont need it.
You also dont need the "RMM-state-bypass"-zip, its also for Stock ROM.

Reactions: mcvisster

BavoV

Apr 22, 2014
Antwerp
For those that dont know yet. Major update released for all kind of problems related to encryption. (but not major in numbering)

Thank's for the great work. To me this is a major feature. Now there is no reason no more as to leave your data unencrypted. #security

Reactions: SnowFuhrer

SnowFuhrer

Apr 5, 2018
Spirit River
For those that dont know yet. Major update released for all kind of problems related to encryption. (but not major in numbering)

Thank's for the great work. To me this is a major feature. Now there is no reason no more as to leave your data unencrypted. #security
Yeh it's nice to have that fixed. I have never used encryption, partially because of twrp issues, but also I use an sd card and I move it around. ;) #idgaf

petalz

Nov 27, 2019
Touchscreen issue

Hello,

I try to upgrade a Samsung A5 2017 with lineageOS 14 and TWRP 3.1.1 to lineage0S 16.
TWRP 3.1.1 refuses to sideload the lineageOS 16 image because it says that the image is for 'a7y17lte' device, and my device is '.' .
The upgrading instructions says that if TWRP refuses to manage the upgrade, I should install a newer version.

But, whatever the TWRP versions available on the official site (as of today, 3.2.3, 3.3.0, 3.3.1-0 and 3.3.1-1) that I install using heimall under linux, I have the same issue: once the phone boot to TWRP, the splash screen appears, showing the right TWRP version number, and then TWRP asks for the key to decrypt the data partition, but the touchscreen is non-responsive, making TWRP unusable.

When I reinstall the TWRP 3.1.1 version that I have backed up, every thing is good, but I'm back to my origin: can't upgrade LineageOS.

Is that a known issue and how can it be fixed ?

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ae08b8N.png

Official TWRP 3.3.1-* For Galaxy A5/A7 (2017)
    Only for exynos variants - A520F (Europe, Global Single-SIM); A520F/DS (Global Dual-SIM); A520K/L/S (South Korea); A520W (Canada), A720F (Global Single-SIM); A720F/DS (Global Dual-SIM); A720S (South Korea)
    Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery before flashing it!
    YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Features:
    Code:
    - built from Pie kernel source
    - built from android-9.0 recovery sources
    - built in full 64 mode
    - fully compatible with Android 8.*/9.0/10.0

Downloads:

Instructions:
    Odin
    1. Download latest Odin zip from downloads.corsicanu.ro/samsung
    2. Download and install Samsung Drivers (if you have them installed you can skip this step)
    3. Go to settings/Developer options and enable OEM unlock (If you don't see developer settings, go into Settings/About phone/Software info and tap "Build number" 10 times to show Developer options menu)
    4. Download TWRP_*.tar
    5. Switch off the phone
    6. Use Home+Volume Down+Power to enter Download Mode and connect the device to usb
    7. Open Odin and untick autoreboot in "options" tab. Also make sure that your device is detected
    8. Put TWRP_*.tar.md5 file into AP tab
    9. Click Start
    10. When Odin shows "PASS", take your device in hands, disconnect the usb cable and press simultaneously the "Home" + "Vol. Down" + "Power" buttons until the downoad mode disappears
    11. At the precise moment the screen becomes black, immediately release the "Vol.Down" button and press the "Home" + "Vol. UP" + "Power" buttons during 10 to 15sec to forcefully enter TWRP
    12. If it didn`t worked, redo the steps from #1 more careful this time.
    TWRP
    • Download TWRP_*.img, push it into phone storage, choose install image in your current recovery, navigate to downloaded *.img file, select it, select to flash as recovery.
    After booting in TWRP download and flash no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1 zip to disable data partition encryption
    If for any reason you fail to install TWRP multiple times/different methods, make sure you check this thread

Sources:
    Credits:
    • TeamWin, jesec, geiti94, dyneteve, testers, donors and anyone else involved in making this possible
    New TWRP out:
    Changes:
    • switched to TwrpBuilder official builds
    • included crypto for LineageOS software encrypted data, thanks to @Option58
    • made preload partition wipeable in recovery
    • included cpefs and m9kefs partitions in backup for safety reasons
    Downloads:
    Instructions:
    Odin
    1. Download Odin v3.13.1
    2. Download and install Samsung Drivers (if you have them installed you can skip this step)
    3. Go to settings/Developer options and enable OEM unlock (If you don't see developer settings, go into Settings/About phone/Software info and tap "Build number" 10 times to show Developer options menu)
    4. Download TWRP_*.tar
    5. Switch off the phone
    6. Use Home+Volume Down+Power to enter Download Mode and connect the device to usb
    7. Open Odin and untick autoreboot in "options" tab. Also make sure that your device is detected
    8. Put TWRP_*.tar.md5 file into AP tab
    9. Click Start
    10. When Odin shows "PASS", take your device in hands, disconnect the usb cable and press simultaneously the "Home" + "Vol. Down" + "Power" buttons until the downoad mode disappears
    11. At the precise moment the screen becomes black, immediately release the "Vol.Down" button and press the "Home" + "Vol. UP" + "Power" buttons during 10 to 15sec to forcefully enter TWRP
    12. If it didn`t worked, redo the steps from #1 more careful this time.
    TWRP
    • Download TWRP_*.img, push it into phone storage, choose install image in your current recovery, navigate to downloaded *.img file, select it, select to flash as recovery.
    Optional - Download and flash no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0 zip to disable data partition encryption
    If for any reason you fail to install TWRP multiple times/different methods, make sure you check this thread

All the best!
    Misc links:

FAQ / Further reading
    Q: TWRP can't mount data partition, what to do?
    A: Make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: Phone is not booting even after 20 minutes
    A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: How to format data partition?
    A:
    ymlnQUE.jpg

Q: Phone is showing only Samsung logo
    A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, consider installing an older TWRP build or a more recent firmware.

Q: I get "Failed to mount /preload message", what to do?
    A: From wipe menu select Advanced Wipe, select preload partition to be wiped and reboot recovery.

Q: Why do i need to format data partition?
    A: Because old rom encrypted your data partition and new rom can't decrypt and use that content / root needs access to data partition to place misc files / phone not booting after flashing root until data partition gets formatted.
    TWRP 3.3.0-* is out - all links are in first post.
    More details about the release here.
    Regards.
    New official builds out!
    Regards.