[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL][3.3.1-x] TWRP for Galaxy S8 and S8+ Exynos

Search This thread

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
May 25, 2012
Bucuresti
Ae08b8N.png

Official TWRP 3.3.1-* For Galaxy S8/S8+ Exynos
Only for exynos variants - G950F (Europe, Global Single-SIM); G950FD (Global Dual-SIM); G950N (South Korea); G955F (Europe, Global Single-SIM); G955FD (Global Dual-SIM); G955N (South Korea);
Disclaimer
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery before flashing it!
YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Features:
Code:
- built from Pie kernel source
- built from android-9.0 recovery sources
- built in full 64 mode
- fully compatible with Android 8.*/9.0/10.0

Downloads:

Instructions:
Odin

1. Download latest Odin zip from downloads.corsicanu.ro/samsung
  2. Download and install Samsung Drivers (if you have them installed you can skip this step)
  3. Go to settings/Developer options and enable OEM unlock (If you don't see developer settings, go into Settings/About phone/Software info and tap "Build number" 10 times to show Developer options menu)
  4. Download TWRP_*.tar
  5. Switch off the phone
  6. Use Bixby Key+Volume Down+Power to enter Download Mode and connect the device to usb
  7. Open Odin and untick autoreboot in "options" tab. Also make sure that your device is detected
  8. Put TWRP_*.tar.md5 file into AP tab
  9. Click Start
  10. When Odin shows "PASS", take your device in hands, disconnect the usb cable and press simultaneously the "Bixby key" + "Vol. Down" + "Power" buttons until the downoad mode disappears
  11. At the precise moment the screen becomes black, immediately release the "Vol.Down" button and press the "Bixby key" + "Vol. UP" + "Power" buttons during 10 to 15sec to forcefully enter TWRP
  12. If it didn`t worked, redo the steps from #1 more careful this time.

TWRP
  • Download TWRP_*.img, push it into phone storage, choose install image in your current recovery, navigate to downloaded *.img file, select it, select to flash as recovery.
After booting in TWRP download and flash no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1 zip to disable data partition encryption
If for any reason you fail to install TWRP multiple times/different methods, make sure you check this thread

Sources:
Credits:
  • TeamWin, jesec, geiti94, dyneteve, testers, donors and anyone else involved in making this possible

Last edited:

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
May 25, 2012
Bucuresti
FAQ / Further reading
Q: TWRP can't mount data partition, what to do?
A: Make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: Phone is not booting even after 20 minutes
A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: How to format data partition?
A:
ymlnQUE.jpg

Q: Phone is showing only Samsung logo
A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, consider installing an older TWRP build or a more recent firmware.

Q: I get "Failed to mount /preload message", what to do?
A: From wipe menu select Advanced Wipe, select preload partition to be wiped and reboot recovery.

Q: Why do i need to format data partition?
A: Because old rom encrypted your data partition and new rom can't decrypt and use that content / root needs access to data partition to place misc files / phone not booting after flashing root until data partition gets formatted.

Last edited:

Noxxxious

Apr 9, 2012
OTG fix was only required for N8 devices as first time introduced by Tkkg1994, while the official device tree by Jesec had working OTG for dream(2). Moreover the features list says this TWRP is based on latest TWRP source, but the recovery is based on 7.1.2.

Last edited:

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
May 25, 2012
Bucuresti
OTG fix was only required for N8 devices as first time introduced by Tkkg1994, while the official device tree by Jesec had working OTG for dream(2). Moreover the features list says this TWRP is based on latest TWRP source, but the recovery is based on 7.1.2.
My bad that i didn't tested otg on s8 assuming that if it works on note8, it works on s8* too. I submitted a patch in review and will test it myself today as i don't have the otg dongle right now.
As for twrp source, yes it's 7.1, will edit OP if this causes troubles. I don't want to argue with anyone, i only made things official as you know the quota issues, not to mention all the flame from telegram regarding "use official even if it doesn't properly work".
Peace.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Noxxxious

Apr 9, 2012
My bad that i didn't tested otg on s8 assuming that if it works on note8, it works on s8* too. I submitted a patch in review and will test it myself today as i don't have the otg dongle right now.
As for twrp source, yes it's 7.1, will edit OP if this causes troubles. I don't want to argue with anyone, i only made things official as you know the quota issues, not to mention all the flame from telegram regarding "use official even if it doesn't properly work".
Peace.

:laugh::good:

Just use the same otg path as from jesecs device tree. I can confirm it works as I am still using his TWRP and tried it yesterday.

Last edited:

TearsDontFalls

Sep 28, 2011
I flashed latest TWRP 3.2.3.2 but I cant mount /data partition on stock rom:

"Could not mount /data and unable to find crypto header"

Is this fixable - or
Is there a way to access /data without flashing no-dm-verity.zip? (e.g. systemless root or dump userdata img and mount on PC?)

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
May 25, 2012
Bucuresti
I flashed latest TWRP 3.2.3.2 but I cant mount /data partition on stock rom:

"Could not mount /data and unable to find crypto header"

Is this fixable - or
Is there a way to access /data without flashing no-dm-verity.zip? (e.g. systemless root or dump userdata img and mount on PC?)
I'm pretty sure you have data encrypted. You can only access it in the running rom. If you can't boot as you are now, flash no-verity-opt-encrypt and you can boot with that, even if encrypted. Boot up stock rom, use titanium or any other solution to backup your data and after that you can format data, boot unencrypted and restore the backups.
As for userdata dump, even if you dump it you can't decrypt it, also systemless root can't decrypt it either.

TearsDontFalls

Sep 28, 2011
I'm pretty sure you have data encrypted. You can only access it in the running rom. If you can't boot as you are now, flash no-verity-opt-encrypt and you can boot with that, even if encrypted. Boot up stock rom, use titanium or any other solution to backup your data and after that you can format data, boot unencrypted and restore the backups.
As for userdata dump, even if you dump it you can't decrypt it, also systemless root can't decrypt it either.

Right now I'm on stock(non-rooted, stock kernel) with the default encryption.
So I can just:
1. flash no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip
2. flash Magisk or SuperSU
3. Boot and have root with my encrypted data partition?

Thanks for fast answer btw :)

Edit; tried that, its booting, but now getting integrity verification failed screen. Even after flashing stock. So I guess I tripped some trusted execution environment and key is gone now.

Last edited:

travelbug

Oct 22, 2014
I have one question to / problem with the encryption:
  • installed latest TWRP
  • flashed no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip in order being able to boot
  • formatted data
Everything works smoothly and as expected. BUT: How do I get the encryption (my company requires that) back now?
Out of the system I can select encrypt data, which is displaying 'Encrypting'. But after the automatic re-boot data is still not encrypted...
Am I missing something?

bgotura

Jan 14, 2019
Phone keeps rebooting into "Galaxy S8" Welcome screen

Hi,

I have followed the process on my G950F but the phone keeps rebooting in a 10 second cycle into the welcome screen. Any ideas?

I am using Odin v3.13.1 and trying to load twrp-3.2.3-2-dreamlte.
I have enabled OEM unlock and it shows OEM LOCK: OFF in Download mode

I can successfully flash TWRP, wipe the DATA partition and transfer and install twrp-3.2.3-2-dreamlte.img. However, once I hit "reboot device" it keeps cycling into this welcome page.

Any ideas? I have tried going back to the official firmware and flashing twrp-3.2.3-1-dreamlte.img but the same happens. Is there anything I am missing?

EDIT: Solved by installing the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip with TWRP

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ae08b8N.png

Official TWRP 3.3.1-* For Galaxy S8/S8+ Exynos
    Only for exynos variants - G950F (Europe, Global Single-SIM); G950FD (Global Dual-SIM); G950N (South Korea); G955F (Europe, Global Single-SIM); G955FD (Global Dual-SIM); G955N (South Korea);
    Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery before flashing it!
    YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Features:
    Code:
    - built from Pie kernel source
    - built from android-9.0 recovery sources
    - built in full 64 mode
    - fully compatible with Android 8.*/9.0/10.0

Downloads:

Instructions:
    Odin

1. Download latest Odin zip from downloads.corsicanu.ro/samsung
    2. Download and install Samsung Drivers (if you have them installed you can skip this step)
    3. Go to settings/Developer options and enable OEM unlock (If you don't see developer settings, go into Settings/About phone/Software info and tap "Build number" 10 times to show Developer options menu)
    4. Download TWRP_*.tar
    5. Switch off the phone
    6. Use Bixby Key+Volume Down+Power to enter Download Mode and connect the device to usb
    7. Open Odin and untick autoreboot in "options" tab. Also make sure that your device is detected
    8. Put TWRP_*.tar.md5 file into AP tab
    9. Click Start
    10. When Odin shows "PASS", take your device in hands, disconnect the usb cable and press simultaneously the "Bixby key" + "Vol. Down" + "Power" buttons until the downoad mode disappears
    11. At the precise moment the screen becomes black, immediately release the "Vol.Down" button and press the "Bixby key" + "Vol. UP" + "Power" buttons during 10 to 15sec to forcefully enter TWRP
    12. If it didn`t worked, redo the steps from #1 more careful this time.

TWRP
    • Download TWRP_*.img, push it into phone storage, choose install image in your current recovery, navigate to downloaded *.img file, select it, select to flash as recovery.
    After booting in TWRP download and flash no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1 zip to disable data partition encryption
    If for any reason you fail to install TWRP multiple times/different methods, make sure you check this thread

Sources:
    Credits:
    • TeamWin, jesec, geiti94, dyneteve, testers, donors and anyone else involved in making this possible
    TWRP 3.3.0-* is out - all links are in first post.
    More details about the release here.
    Regards.
    FAQ / Further reading
    Q: TWRP can't mount data partition, what to do?
    A: Make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: Phone is not booting even after 20 minutes
    A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: How to format data partition?
    A:
    ymlnQUE.jpg

Q: Phone is showing only Samsung logo
    A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, consider installing an older TWRP build or a more recent firmware.

Q: I get "Failed to mount /preload message", what to do?
    A: From wipe menu select Advanced Wipe, select preload partition to be wiped and reboot recovery.

Q: Why do i need to format data partition?
    A: Because old rom encrypted your data partition and new rom can't decrypt and use that content / root needs access to data partition to place misc files / phone not booting after flashing root until data partition gets formatted.
    Official builds are up!
    Regards.