[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL][3.6.1-x] TWRP for Galaxy Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra Exynos

Search This thread

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
Ae08b8N.png

Official TWRP 3.6.1-* For Galaxy Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra
Only for exynos variants - N980F / N981B / N985F / N986B (Europe - Global, Single/Dual-SIM)
Disclaimer
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery before flashing it!
YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Kernel Features:
  • N986BXXU3FVC5 kernel source (OneUI 4.1 / March 2022 sourcecode)
  • disabled uh/defex/proca/knox/rkp/rooting protection/logging/audit/useless features
Recovery Features:
  • Android 11 tree
  • built in full 64 mode
  • toybox/busybox support
  • compatible with Android 12.0 and above
Downloads:
Instructions:
Odin (Windows)

Prerequisites: Samsung USB drivers, Odin v3.14.1
If you already have the bootloader unlocked you can skip to step 6.

1. Make sure OEM Unlock is ON in developer settings;
  2. Turn off the phone;
  3. Use vol up + vol down + usb cable plugged to a pc to start the phone in download mode;
  4. Long press vol up then confirm you want to unlock bootloader (this is needed one time only);
    * Please be aware all your data will be erased including internal storage and phone will reboot!!
  5. Let the phone boot normally, pass the setup and connect to internet (wireless or mobile data) in order to unlock RMM;
  6. Make sure OEM Unlock is ON in developer settings;
  7. Turn off the phone;
  8. Use vol up + vol down + usb cable plugged to a pc to start the phone in download mode, short press vol up to confirm you want to go to download mode;
    * If by any chance you see RMM state=Prenormal or KG state=Prenormal, redo from step 5!
  9. Download appropriate TWRP .tar file according to your device
  10. Download AVB disabled vbmeta .tar
  11. Open Odin v3.14.1 and place the downloaded TWRP .tar file in AP tab, downloaded vbmeta .tar file in CP tab and click Start - once you press start grab the phone and press vol up + power to force it boot straight in TWRP after flashing
!! Only if coming from full stock (magisk patched) firmware
  • In TWRP home screen press wipe - format data - yes
  • Download and flash multidisabler-samsung-3.* zip to disable security and encryption.

Heimdall (Linux)
Install heimdall & additional required packages:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install heimdall-flash android-tools-fastboot android-tools-adb libusb-0.1-4 libusb-1.0-0 libusb-1.0-0-dev

2. Turn off the phone;
  3. Use vol up + vol down + usb cable plugged to a pc to start the phone in download mode;
  4. Long press vol up then confirm you want to unlock bootloader (this is needed one time only);
    * Please be aware all your data will be erased including internal storage and phone will reboot!!
  5. Let the phone boot normally, pass the setup and connect to internet (wireless or mobile data) in order to unlock RMM;
  7. Turn off the phone;
  8. Use vol up + vol down + usb cable plugged to a pc to start the phone in download mode, short press vol up to confirm you want to go to download mode;
    * If by any chance you see RMM state=Prenormal or KG state=Prenormal, redo from step 5!
  9. Download appropriate TWRP .img file according to your device
  10. Download AVB disabled vbmeta .img
  11. Open your preferred terminal in linux and type (replace red lines with the path of downloaded img files):
    Code:
    sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY /path/to/recovery.img --VBMETA /path/to/vbmeta.img
    and press enter - once you press enter grab the phone and press vol up + power to force it boot straight in TWRP after flashing
  • Download and flash multidisabler-samsung-3.* zip to disable security and encryption.

TWRP

• Download .img file for your device and install from your current TWRP with Install image - browse to image location and select - Recovery

dd (Requires root)

• Download .img file for your device, place it in the root of your /sdcard folder, rename it to twrp.img then run the following commands via adb shell or a terminal emulator app:
    Code:
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/platform/13100000.ufs/by-name/recovery

Sources:
Credits:
  • TeamWin, geiti94, jesec, dyneteve, ianmacd, testers, donors and anyone else involved in making this possible
As always, if you like what i do, you can always send me some pizza/coffee/drugs/drinks or anything else via paypal.me/corsicanu

Last edited:

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
Last edited:

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
FAQ
Q: Can i use this recovery with other firmware then mentioned in compatibility?
A: Only with same Android version or Rollback protection might kick in and you won't be able to pass the lockscreen.

Q: Where do i get vbmeta.img?
A: From here, download the one you need according to install instructions.

Q: TWRP can't mount data partition, what to do?
A: Make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: Phone is not booting even after 20 minutes
A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, make sure you flashed multidisabler zip / formatted data partition.

Q: How to format data partition?
A:
ymlnQUE.jpg

Q: Phone is showing only Samsung logo
A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, consider installing an older TWRP build or a more recent firmware. If you still don't succeed, post here some details about your device and previous firmware and we might be able to help.

Q: Why do i need to format data partition?
A: Because old firmware encrypted your data partition and new rom can't decrypt and use that content / root needs access to data partition to place misc files / phone not booting after flashing root until data partition gets formatted.

mujaid714

Jan 26, 2013
Mumbai
I m newbie to note 20 ultra...i want to flash root and twrp... What steps shld i follow.... Currently i m on stock non rooted.. Confused what to flash via odin..

KetchDalopper12

Jul 6, 2022
Compatibility and changelog:

06.05.2022 - Initial TWRP 3.6.1 release
  • Compatibility: Android 12 (OneUI 4.0 & 4.1)
  • Security patch: N/A

Misc links:
Further reading:
I notice I have bootloder on my device that I didn't install my self. I'm just a average user and have no clue how this was put on my phone. Also all of my apps are older versions an I'm unable to update them. I need help figuring out what's going on. Anyone please help!!!

monicaONxda

Aug 16, 2020
1. Can I use this TWRP version with any custom ROM (e.g. Dr. Ketan ROM)?
2. Do I have to flash vbmeta.img, even when I have that custom ROM?
3. Is there a twrp.img for N986B that supports Android encryption, since right now encryption is somehow disabled after installing Dr. Ketan ROM: the lockscreen password has no effect and I can access and read all files on all partitions with the TWRP file manager !

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
1. Can I use this TWRP version with any custom ROM (e.g. Dr. Ketan ROM)?
2. Do I have to flash vbmeta.img, even when I have that custom ROM?
3. Is there a twrp.img for N986B that supports Android encryption, since right now encryption is somehow disabled after installing Dr. Ketan ROM: the lockscreen password has no effect and I can access and read all files on all partitions with the TWRP file manager !
1. Yes as long as the rom dev doesn't have other instructions regarding the recovery used (i.e. LineageOs)
2. No, you already have some nulled vbmeta flashed since you are running a custom rom.
3. Nope, since samsung uses proprietary encryption. You can however preserve data encryption in the rom (talk that with the dev of your rom), but this will make it unreadable by twrp in any conditions. Please keep in mind that Samsung fw may not like it and it can trigger a data wipe without warnings.
Regards.

Reactions: monicaONxda

sevsman

Mar 24, 2011
1. Yes as long as the rom dev doesn't have other instructions regarding the recovery used (i.e. LineageOs)
2. No, you already have some nulled vbmeta flashed since you are running a custom rom.
3. Nope, since samsung uses proprietary encryption. You can however preserve data encryption in the rom (talk that with the dev of your rom), but this will make it unreadable by twrp in any conditions. Please keep in mind that Samsung fw may not like it and it can trigger a data wipe without warnings.
Regards.
Where's 2.8 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek::eek:

• Angry
Reactions: monicaONxda

monicaONxda

Aug 16, 2020
Regards.
Many Thanks!
Re. 3.: With "fw" you meant FRP? But when I have root I can simply erase FRP and most Knox and other unwanted bloatware apks on /system, /product, /prism etc. ?

Btw. do you know if there is there a possibility to completely remove the Samsung ROM and replace it with a plain Android? You may lose one hardware driver for the "Sasmung Pen" but everthying else should work..?

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
Many Thanks!
Re. 3.: With "fw" you meant FRP? But when I have root I can simply erase FRP and most Knox and other unwanted bloatware apks on /system, /product, /prism etc. ?

Btw. do you know if there is there a possibility to completely remove the Samsung ROM and replace it with a plain Android? You may lose one hardware driver for the "Sasmung Pen" but everthying else should work..?
Fw as in firmware. Regarding plain android - search for AOSP based projects, i'm not aware of the active developement so i can't properly advice you in this matter.
Regards

MasterEsno

Apr 2, 2018
Demak
www.colongan.com
Ae08b8N.png

Only for exynos variants - N980F / N981B / N985F / N986B (Europe - Global, Single/Dual-SIM)
Disclaimer
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery before flashing it!
YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Kernel Features:
  • disabled uh/defex/proca/knox/rkp/rooting protection/logging/audit/useless features
Recovery Features:
  • Android 11 tree
  • built in full 64 mode
  • toybox/busybox support
Downloads:
Instructions:
Odin (Windows)

2. Turn off the phone;
  7. Turn off the phone;
  11. Open Odin v3.14.1 and place the downloaded TWRP .tar file in AP tab, downloaded vbmeta .tar file in CP tab and click Start - once you press start grab the phone and press vol up + power to force it boot straight in TWRP after flashing

Heimdall (Linux)
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install heimdall-flash android-tools-fastboot android-tools-adb libusb-0.1-4 libusb-1.0-0 libusb-1.0-0-dev

2. Turn off the phone;
  7. Turn off the phone;
  11. Open your preferred terminal in linux and type (replace red lines with the path of downloaded img files):
    Code:
    sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY /path/to/recovery.img --VBMETA /path/to/vbmeta.img
    and press enter - once you press enter grab the phone and press vol up + power to force it boot straight in TWRP after flashing

TWRP

• Download .img file for your device and install from your current TWRP with Install image - browse to image location and select - Recovery

dd (Requires root)

• Download .img file for your device, place it in the root of your /sdcard folder, rename it to twrp.img then run the following commands via adb shell or a terminal emulator app:
    Code:
    su

Sources:
Credits:
  • TeamWin, geiti94, jesec, dyneteve, ianmacd, testers, donors and anyone else involved in making this possible
As always, if you like what i do, you can always send me some pizza/coffee/drugs/drinks or anything else via paypal.me/corsicanu
i am trying to root my note 20 u device. when all succesfully start from magisk module and twrp, i find the screen flicker for a second every 15 seconds. I'm trying to figure out which app the problem is from. looked in screen recorder and found the problem. apparently from system ui. then start again from the initial step one by one. and the cause of the problem is after installing twrp. I'm on Ui5.1 N986B exyns. i feel twrp has a bug

Attachments

• kmc_20230515_094521.jpg
    kmc_20230515_094521.jpg
    688.5 KB · Views: 68

Sn33z3x

Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia
Hi it's been a while since I last install TWRP on SS phone, it got complicated now 🥲 I have few question, can you help answering?
  1. Open Odin v3.14.1 and place the downloaded TWRP .tar file in AP tab, downloaded vbmeta .tar file in CP tab and click Start - once you press start grab the phone and press vol up + power to force it boot straight in TWRP after flashing
- For this, do I have to press the key combo 1 time only after clicking Start Odin or I have to hold till the progress done?
- I never install TWRP on my phone, do I have to follow this step?
-If yes, do I have to install that file right after TWRP first boot (when odin completed flashing)

And finally, does it support android 13?

Thank you so much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here, the vbmeta for n20u after february patch
    Ae08b8N.png

Disclaimer

Kernel Features:
    Recovery Features:
    • Android 11 tree
    • built in full 64 mode
    • toybox/busybox support
    Downloads:
    Instructions:
    Odin (Windows)

2. Turn off the phone;
    7. Turn off the phone;

Heimdall (Linux)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update

2. Turn off the phone;
    7. Turn off the phone;
      Code:

TWRP

dd (Requires root)

Code:
      su

Sources:
    Credits:
    Compatibility and changelog:

06.05.2022 - Initial TWRP 3.6.1 release
    • Compatibility: Android 12 (OneUI 4.0 & 4.1)
    • Security patch: N/A

Misc links:
    Further reading:
    FAQ
    Q: Can i use this recovery with other firmware then mentioned in compatibility?
    A: Only with same Android version or Rollback protection might kick in and you won't be able to pass the lockscreen.

Q: Where do i get vbmeta.img?
    A: From here, download the one you need according to install instructions.

Q: TWRP can't mount data partition, what to do?
    A: Make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: Phone is not booting even after 20 minutes
    A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, make sure you flashed multidisabler zip / formatted data partition.

Q: How to format data partition?
    A:
    ymlnQUE.jpg

Q: Phone is showing only Samsung logo
    A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, consider installing an older TWRP build or a more recent firmware. If you still don't succeed, post here some details about your device and previous firmware and we might be able to help.

Q: Why do i need to format data partition?
    A: Because old firmware encrypted your data partition and new rom can't decrypt and use that content / root needs access to data partition to place misc files / phone not booting after flashing root until data partition gets formatted.
    Updated first post with official pages from twrp.me, but since the builds are not up yet, i posted latest test builds in post #2.
    Regards
    @corsicanu
    Many thanks for the latest update mate. It's working perfectly, as everything from you does (y)