• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP 3.1.1-0 for ZE554KL

Search This thread

shakalaca

Jun 5, 2009
Taipei
23pin.logdown.com
1. Unlock the phone first
2. Download file below
3. Flash and go

Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-Z01K-20171011.img
fastboot oem reboot-recovery

4. Root / backup ... and profit !

Download link:
https://twrp.me/asus/asuszenfone42017.html
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=889964283620764455

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL), Tool/Utility for the Asus Zenfone 4 (2017)

Contributors
shakalaca, shakalaca
Source Code:
https://github.com/teamwin/android_device_asus_Z01K
https://github.com/shakalaca/android_device_asus_Z01K

Version Information

Created 2017-10-21
Last Updated 2017-11-07

Last edited:

mkmonkey

Jul 5, 2007
Hi , would you please tell me how can I "reboot and install again" ?
Since the touch screen is not working , I restart the phone by pressing the power key a few second . Restart the whole process for more then 10 times but the touch screen is still not working .

Reactions: oscarboaventura

mkmonkey

Jul 5, 2007
ASUS messed up the touch screen by updating the firmware nearly in every version, I suggest you upgrade to the newest ROM and flash twrp again. For reboot just issue ' adb reboot ' ..

May I know your firmware version ?

Hi , thank you for your suggestion .

I can't get the firmware version in the hardware information section , so I bet the software version will work as well ? Actually , I just updated my phone few days ago , so I think I'm already in the latest version .
( maybe this one ? )

After entered the TWRP , no matter ADB or Fastboot has no response , so the only way to reboot is to press the power key for about 10 seconds .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171108-193435.jpg
    Screenshot_20171108-193435.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,250

shakalaca

Jun 5, 2009
Taipei
23pin.logdown.com
Hi , thank you for your suggestion .

I can't get the firmware version in the hardware information section , so I bet the software version will work as well ? Actually , I just updated my phone few days ago , so I think I'm already in the latest version .
( maybe this one ? )

After entered the TWRP , no matter ADB or Fastboot has no response , so the only way to reboot is to press the power key for about 10 seconds .

Can you try this one ? :)

ajtuberino

Nov 8, 2015
Root and OTA

Hi,

If I used your unofficial bootloader unlock method and install TWRP and root, if I want to get the next asus OTA update, can I unroot and download the full firmware from the ASUS wesbite and install it even though I have the bootloader unlocked? Thanks.

mkmonkey

Jul 5, 2007
Sorry , it's me again . Just a few hours ago I roll back to stock system , and perform the OTA update . After that I've root with the system again the system keep going into the recovery and cannot return to android system . Is there anyway I can return to the normal andoird system ? Thank you .

AP756

Oct 4, 2007
Sorry , it's me again . Just a few hours ago I roll back to stock system , and perform the OTA update . After that I've root with the system again the system keep going into the recovery and cannot return to android system . Is there anyway I can return to the normal andoird system ? Thank you .

If still on TWRP recovery copy the full ROM (downloaded from ASUS, do not unzip, just copy the zip) to a SD card or to internal memory of the phone, reset to factory from within TWRP and perform an install. Worked for me. First boot takes ages :)

Reactions: alone13_13

mkmonkey

Jul 5, 2007
If still on TWRP recovery copy the full ROM (downloaded from ASUS, do not unzip, just copy the zip) to a SD card or to internal memory of the phone, reset to factory from within TWRP and perform an install. Worked for me. First boot takes ages :)

Well , I've tried this at the very beginning , but no luck . Seems the recovery is corrupted and keep stuck in it .

Finally , got a .img reocvery image , flash it via TWRP and the system resumes normal , at least it is working for me now .

Reactions: jaibe123

Dovel

Jan 27, 2018
Hello everyone,

I consider an update to the latest 15.0405.1712.83 version, so I'd like to know if there are any issues with TWRP compatibility or getting root back on the new ROM. Any modified boot needed?

Idolus

Jan 31, 2018
Hello everyone,

I installed the twrp on my Asus Zenfone 4 (ZE554K -WW_14.1050.1708.36). I tried to root it, but no success... After several tries, I just gave up and now I'm trying to get the stock recovery. I couldn't find the stock recovery.img on "google" for this model. Is there any way to remove the twrp from this model of phone and some way to get stock recovery.img ? I tried to download the firmwares from official site, but I couldn't find the recovery.img inside zip files.

Thanks in advance.!

smallerstone

Jan 29, 2010
Hello everyone,

I installed the twrp on my Asus Zenfone 4 (ZE554K -WW_14.1050.1708.36). I tried to root it, but no success... After several tries, I just gave up and now I'm trying to get the stock recovery. I couldn't find the stock recovery.img on "google" for this model. Is there any way to remove the twrp from this model of phone and some way to get stock recovery.img ? I tried to download the firmwares from official site, but I couldn't find the recovery.img inside zip files.

Thanks in advance.!

I upload the stock recovery I used it to replace TWRP when I need restore stock recovery, you can try fastboot flash this recovery image. Hope this can help you~
recovery image

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Hello everyone,

I consider an update to the latest 15.0405.1712.83 version, so I'd like to know if there are any issues with TWRP compatibility or getting root back on the new ROM. Any modified boot needed?

TWRP 3.1.1 cannot full function in 15.0405.1712.83;

I just use the above TWRP, just can use it to install Magisk to get root.
This cannot backup data...
(Therefore suggest just boot off the custom recovery TWRP without installing it until a new version release)

Reactions: Dovel

Dovel

Jan 27, 2018
TWRP 3.1.1 cannot full function in 15.0405.1712.83;

I just use the above TWRP, just can use it to install Magisk to get root.
This cannot backup data...
(Therefore suggest just boot off the custom recovery TWRP without installing it until a new version release)

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I was on 14.1060.1709.80 version of ROM with the TWRP 3.1.1 (2017.10.11).
Somehow I've managed to update to the latest 15.0405.1801.89 stock, and then flashed TWRP 3.2.1 from the @shakalaca Medium blog, so the credit goes to him anyway.
Seems like it works just fine, I successfully did a nandroid backup and flashed the latest Magisk version.

P.S.: Unfortunately I can't post external links, so either you find it yourself or the author would post the link in this thread.

smallerstone

Jan 29, 2010
Thanks again for your suggestions.

I was on 14.1060.1709.80 version of ROM with the TWRP 3.1.1 (2017.10.11).
Somehow I've managed to update to the latest 15.0405.1801.89 stock, and then flashed TWRP 3.2.1 from the @shakalaca Medium blog, so the credit goes to him anyway.
Seems like it works just fine, I successfully did a nandroid backup and flashed the latest Magisk version.

P.S.: Unfortunately I can't post external links, so either you find it yourself or the author would post the link in this thread.

Thanks! Good news for about TWRP 3.2.1 !!! :laugh:
Then I searched in Google and found a web site: Android Infotech
then download the TWRP 3.2.1 version and tested,
it can use the sd card and also can read the data! :D
Therefore it can use to backup!

Idolus

Jan 31, 2018
I upload the stock recovery I used it to replace TWRP when I need restore stock recovery, you can try fastboot flash this recovery image. Hope this can help you~

Sorry for delaying on reply and thank you so much for helping !

Next day, after I posted here, I searched a bit more and found a link with some recovery files.

Unfortunally I can't post the link cause I'm new user, but it's a Stock Recovery from shakalaca, on androidfilehost.com (thanks to him).

Then I got the stock ROM and everything gone ok. Then I updated to Oreo and now I'm trying to troubleshoot an usb file transfer issue. Another long history...

henrique araujo

Jul 8, 2012
Curitiba/Pr
www.princesslyz.com
Is it safe to do this? I am with ZE554KL and a week, and I want to do root, but I am afraid and doubt, if someone can tell me if it is safe, I am grateful.

--------------------------

é seguro fazer esse procedimento? estou com o ZE554KL e uma semana, e quero fazer root, mas tenho medo e duvidas, se alguem puder me afirmar se é seguro, fico agradecido.

fox330

Aug 7, 2008
Any way to un-unlock the phone? I unlocked the phone and never had any luck booting into twrp. Ended up in a boot loop (fixed) so just going to give up on it for now before i brick it. I see no point in leaving it unlocked

mkmonkey

Jul 5, 2007
Is it safe to do this? I am with ZE554KL and a week, and I want to do root, but I am afraid and doubt, if someone can tell me if it is safe, I am grateful.

--------------------------

é seguro fazer esse procedimento? estou com o ZE554KL e uma semana, e quero fazer root, mas tenho medo e duvidas, se alguem puder me afirmar se é seguro, fico agradecido.

It is safe to root the device , however , please make sure ALL your data already backup .

I'm not sure if it is due to the new android file system or not , but my storage is totally wiped out after I root the device . it's not happened for my previous android phone .

Just my 2 cents .

Reactions: henrique araujo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. Unlock the phone first
    2. Download file below
    3. Flash and go

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-Z01K-20171011.img
    fastboot oem reboot-recovery

4. Root / backup ... and profit !

Download link:
    https://twrp.me/asus/asuszenfone42017.html

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL), Tool/Utility for the Asus Zenfone 4 (2017)

Contributors
    shakalaca, shakalaca
    Source Code:
    https://github.com/teamwin/android_device_asus_Z01K
    https://github.com/shakalaca/android_device_asus_Z01K

Version Information

Created 2017-10-21
    Last Updated 2017-11-07
    Guys I ported TWRP 3.4.0 from Max Pro M2 to Zenfone 4. There is a bug in the usb so if you plan to use adb and mtp, you need to boot TWRP with the usb cable already connected. The rest apparently is working perfectly, with the corrections related to decryption now it is working 100% of the time. I used the Pie beta kernel and if I'm not mistaken Asus removed the NTFS driver from it, I would like someone who has an otg cable to test an NTFS-formatted usb stick, if it doesn't work I can provide one TWRP img with the Oreo kernel.
    TWRP 3.4.0 Pie kernel:
    gdrive
    TWRP 3.4.0 Oreo kernel:
    gdrive
    Project Treble suport?

No. The hope is that ASUS finally has the guts to create a vendor partition while upgrading to Android Pie, but it's unlikely
    Hi , would you please tell me how can I "reboot and install again" ?
    Since the touch screen is not working , I restart the phone by pressing the power key a few second . Restart the whole process for more then 10 times but the touch screen is still not working .
    Thank you so much! It worked like a charm!!

If anybody stumbles here, I've managed quite easily to root and install Magisk.
    I am on the latest Android 9 Pie beta version, build number: PPR1.180610.009.WW_Phone-16.0620.1912.23-0

My steps:

1. Unlocked my phone through the official Unlock App: Asus Link or MEGA Link
      Although it says Android O, it worked perfectly.
      Just remember to backup ALL YOUR DATA, it will erase everything
    2. Did normal boot first, started phone restoration, installed all my apps first
    3. Ran adb reboot bootloader
    4. Opened Windows's Device Manager and found a device named "Android" under "Other devices"
    5. Updated its driver with Google USB Driver and selected "Android Bootloader Interface"
    6. fastboot devices command now was able to find my device
    7. Downloaded @KaMyKaSii 's version of TWRP for Pie
    8. Ran fastboot flash recovery twrp.img and fastboot reboot
    9. Immediately after, held down Volume Down + Power Button to force phone to enter Recovery Mode, just like TWRP Docs recommended
    10. Enabled ADB Sideload under Advanced menu
    11. Downloaded latest version of Magisk for TWRP
    12. Ran adb sideload Magisk.zip
    13. Installed suggested TWRP app after installing Magisk
    14. Rebooted, and opened Magisk
    15. Enabled Magisk Hide and SafetyNet test passed
    16. Done!
    Hopefully this might help somebody. If you have any questions, feel free to DM me in English, Portuguese or Spanish :)

Thank you for your detailed guide.
    I also ported TWRP 3.5.0 from Zen Max Pro M2 if anyone interested:
    TWRP 3.5.0 ZE554KL
    Still with the same usb bug