[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP 3.1.1 for Exynos

Search This thread

ayke

May 16, 2011
Disclaimer: Usual disclaimer applies. I've tested this recovery but it might not work due to a different ROM / device / moon phase / etc. Use at your own risk.

Introduction

After working with upstream TWRP developers and fixing some bugs (in TWRP itself and in this port) this device finally has an official port :D
There were various builds available at different times (some with bugs) but most of them should now be fixed.

Features

Works
  • backup/restore
  • installing zips
  • ADB
  • MTP
  • Screen turns off
  • Basically the rest of this list
  • format /data
  • Adoptable storage
  • Decrypt /data

Doesn't work (please ask if you need this)
  • Encrypted backup (set password for /data/data)
  • USB-OTG

Untested
  • Backup/restore of stock system / data.

Installation instructions

Warning: only use it on the G800F/M/Y, NOT on the G800H! I only tested the G800F, but think G800M/Y will also work. G800H will most likely NOT work, as it is based on a different SoC (Qualcomm).

Download the recovery image from twrp.me. It also includes some installation instructions.
There are more extensive installation instructions over at the LineageOS ROM installation instructions.

I personally prefer using Heimdall, but you can also use Odin. Commands in Download/Odin mode (power off, then press home+Volume-Down+power):

Code:
heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img

If you're using the stock ROM, use:

Code:
heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --no-reboot

When you come from the stock ROM you have to make sure the stock ROM doesn't overwrite TWRP: Pull the battery, wait 5 seconds, insert it again, and press home + volume up + power to enter TWRP and replace the stock ROM from there.

If you already have TWRP or LineageOS, it's much easier to install from there, see twrp.me.

Another method is using ADB (from your computer). I used it a lot during testing:

Code:
adb root
adb push twrp-3.1.1-1-kminilte.img /dev/block/mmcblk0p10

Changelog

Code:
2017-07-10:
* fix formatting /data while the partition is encrypted
  (device is not encrypted by default)
* add support for adoptable storage
* accept kminiltexx etc. for flashing basebands

2017-06-20:
* ADB
* MTP at the same time as ADB
* Screen turns fully off
* fix for restoring backups made using `adb backup --twrp`

Source code

This recovery is built using a LineageOS tree. Instructions are similar to the instructions for building LineageOS for the S5 mini. Differences are: you don't need to patch the source (skip that step) and the last step is mka recoveryimage instead of mka bacon - this only builds the recovery resulting in much faster builds. Also see the official build instructions.

Thanks

Other people who have worked on this project:
  • Team Win, of course, for the recovery itself! In particular bigbiff which has worked with me to make this device official.
  • hennymcc
  • RVR

---
Note to moderators: this is my first DevDB thread started on XDA so I may have made mistakes.

XDA:DevDB Information
Team Win Recovery Project, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini

Contributors
ayke, hennymcc, RVR
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.1.1
Stable Release Date: 2017-06-20

Created 2017-06-24
Last Updated 2017-07-09

Friedensfurz

Thanks a million @ayke ! However, I found some bugs I'd like to submit some bugs I discovered:
- Recovery is not SEANDROID enforcing" message when booting TWRP, didn't cause any trouble for me but still - it was fine in your previous unofficial build
- Some zip files (tested with latest modem flashable zip) report "This package is for kminiltexx devices; this is a kminilte", so it doesn't flash and fails with ERROR:7

I can confirm that decrypting a File-Based encrypted /data partition works, I didn't test the backup tool though.

P.S. Is it possible to add support for adopted storage, that would be awesome!

Nevertheless - thanks for making this device officialy supported! :D

Reactions: ayke

ayke

May 16, 2011
Thanks a million @ayke ! However, I found some bugs I'd like to submit some bugs I discovered:
- Recovery is not SEANDROID enforcing" message when booting TWRP, didn't cause any trouble for me but still - it was fine in your previous unofficial build
The current kernel used upstream is somewhat older and hasn't enabled SELinux yet. I don't see why you would want enforcing SELinux in TWRP, though.

- Some zip files (tested with latest modem flashable zip) report "This package is for kminiltexx devices; this is a kminilte", so it doesn't flash and fails with ERROR:7
I think I have a fix for that, please test https://aykevl.nl/download/2017-06-25-recovery-fix-ota-asserts.img (not tested by me)

I can confirm that decrypting a File-Based encrypted /data partition works, I didn't test the backup tool though.
Nice!

I might look into it. I don't use it at the moment but am considering it.
EDIT: I have fixed it, it will be included in the next build.

Last edited:

ayke

May 16, 2011

spookcity138

Nov 9, 2015
Eindhoven
@Friedensfurz @Pat750
I couldn't find a (still online) kernel from Spookcity and I'd rather not flash a new modem unless I know why I should do that. So I haven't verified it.
But here's another build you can try. My previous attempt was incomplete.
https://aykevl.nl/download/2017-06-27-recovery-fix-ota-asserts-2.img
On my device I've verified it has a ro.product.device property of kminiltexx.
Yeah,I removed all of my test build links from my google drive, but have a thread on here. I already sent you this though. I will test your new build and see if it helps.

Edit:
Yep,fixed. Good work Ayke!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fidoedidoe

Mar 27, 2011

I'm having a few issues with TWRP 3.1.1 where "wipe / format data" (where you have to key "yes") generates the following error msg (I posted a similar msg in Slim Rom 7 thread):

Code:
Error:unable to wipe /data unknown file system 'auto'
unable to format encryption.

I'm now wondering whether decrypting the data partition from within TWRP will address my format data issue reported above.

Can I ask how you did this? I've dug around the TWRP menus but nothing has jumped out at me (maybe it's something you need to run from the terminal?)

Many thanks!

Reactions: ayke and Bingbraten
B

Bingbraten

I'm having a few issues with TWRP 3.1.1 where "wipe / format data" (where you have to key "yes") generates the following error msg (I posted a similar msg in Slim Rom 7 thread):

Code:

I'm now wondering whether decrypting the data partition from within TWRP will address my format data issue reported above.

Can I ask how you did this? I've dug around the TWRP menus but nothing has jumped out at me (maybe it's something you need to run from the terminal?)

Many thanks!

I have the same problem

fidoedidoe

Mar 27, 2011

Many thanks!

I still haven't found a method to decrypt the /data volume from within TWRP (a reference earlier in the thread implied it was possible)..the hope being this would mitigate the "wipe / format data" error:

Code:

What I did discover was that when reverting to an older version of TWRP (2.8.x) using Odin, " format data" (where you have to type "yes" to proceed) didn't error. I'm not sure whether that cured the issue, but after that I updated TWRP image back to 3.1.1.0 and installed my ROM as normal.

Still looking for a recognised method to wipe encrypted /data volume from within latest stable TWRP if anyone has any experience of that.

EDIT

Another thread suggests (to my untrained eye) that "unknown file system 'auto" may be related to how twrp.fstab is configured.

I'm very much out of my here ( so apologies for the crude suggestion), but could it be that another build of a TWRP image is needed where twrp.fstab is changed to allow "format data" to work, ie substitute "fstype" from "auto" to "ext4" as outlined below :

Code:
/data			ext4		/dev/block/mmcblk0p21	length=-16384

Last edited:

Friedensfurz

I still haven't found a method to decrypt the /data volume from within TWRP (a reference earlier in the thread implied it was possible)..the hope being this would mitigate the "wipe / format data" error:

Code:

What I did discover was that when reverting to an older version of TWRP (2.8.x) using Odin, " format data" (where you have to type "yes" to proceed) didn't error. I'm not sure whether that cured the issue, but after that I updated TWRP image back to 3.1.1.0 and installed my ROM as normal.

Still looking for a recognised method to wipe encrypted /data volume from within latest stable TWRP if anyone has any experience of that.

EDIT

Another thread suggests (to my untrained eye) that "unknown file system 'auto" may be related to how twrp.fstab is configured.

I'm very much out of my here ( so apologies for the crude suggestion), but could it be that another build of a TWRP image is needed where twrp.fstab is changed to allow "format data" to work, ie substitute "fstype" from "auto" to "ext4" as outlined below :

Code:
/dataext4/dev/block/mmcblk0p21length=-16384
I got it to work by formatting/repairing/changing filesystem in TWRP. Just try some combinations, it will work eventually ;)

ayke

May 16, 2011
Yes, I think it's because of the 'auto' in the fstab. I've set it to ext4 in this build (for data and cache):
https://aykevl.nl/download/2017-07-03-recovery.img
This build also contains the previous fixes (adoptable storage, fixing the kminiltexx error).
If it fixes the issue for you, I'll push the change for inclusion in the next official build.

I didn't see any negative consequences of changing the FS type in fstab. Even setting the fstab entry to 'f2fs' mounts /data as usual (as ext4) so I think it's safe.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    twrp-3.5.2_9-0-kminilte too big?
    Seems to be fixed now, new images are available on the twrp homepage
    Disclaimer: Usual disclaimer applies. I've tested this recovery but it might not work due to a different ROM / device / moon phase / etc. Use at your own risk.

Introduction

After working with upstream TWRP developers and fixing some bugs (in TWRP itself and in this port) this device finally has an official port :D
    There were various builds available at different times (some with bugs) but most of them should now be fixed.

Features

Works
    • backup/restore
    • installing zips
    • ADB
    • MTP
    • Screen turns off
    • Basically the rest of this list
    • format /data
    • Adoptable storage
    • Decrypt /data

Doesn't work (please ask if you need this)
    • Encrypted backup (set password for /data/data)
    • USB-OTG

Untested
    • Backup/restore of stock system / data.

Installation instructions

Warning: only use it on the G800F/M/Y, NOT on the G800H! I only tested the G800F, but think G800M/Y will also work. G800H will most likely NOT work, as it is based on a different SoC (Qualcomm).

Download the recovery image from twrp.me. It also includes some installation instructions.
    There are more extensive installation instructions over at the LineageOS ROM installation instructions.

I personally prefer using Heimdall, but you can also use Odin. Commands in Download/Odin mode (power off, then press home+Volume-Down+power):

Code:
    heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img

If you're using the stock ROM, use:

Code:
    heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --no-reboot

When you come from the stock ROM you have to make sure the stock ROM doesn't overwrite TWRP: Pull the battery, wait 5 seconds, insert it again, and press home + volume up + power to enter TWRP and replace the stock ROM from there.

If you already have TWRP or LineageOS, it's much easier to install from there, see twrp.me.

Another method is using ADB (from your computer). I used it a lot during testing:

Code:
    adb root
    adb push twrp-3.1.1-1-kminilte.img /dev/block/mmcblk0p10

Changelog

Code:
    2017-07-10:
    * fix formatting /data while the partition is encrypted
      (device is not encrypted by default)
    * add support for adoptable storage
    * accept kminiltexx etc. for flashing basebands

2017-06-20:
    * ADB
    * MTP at the same time as ADB
    * Screen turns fully off
    * fix for restoring backups made using `adb backup --twrp`

Source code

This recovery is built using a LineageOS tree. Instructions are similar to the instructions for building LineageOS for the S5 mini. Differences are: you don't need to patch the source (skip that step) and the last step is mka recoveryimage instead of mka bacon - this only builds the recovery resulting in much faster builds. Also see the official build instructions.

Thanks

Other people who have worked on this project:
    • Team Win, of course, for the recovery itself! In particular bigbiff which has worked with me to make this device official.
    • hennymcc
    • RVR

---
    Note to moderators: this is my first DevDB thread started on XDA so I may have made mistakes.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Team Win Recovery Project, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini

Contributors
    ayke, hennymcc, RVR
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.1.1
    Stable Release Date: 2017-06-20

Created 2017-06-24
    Last Updated 2017-07-09
    A new build has been released:
    https://twrp.me/devices/samsunggalaxys5miniexynos.html

Fixes:
    • support adoptable storage
    • support kminiltexx, kminiltedv, kminilteub so basebands can be flashed
    • fix wiping /data while the device is encrypted
    Note: by default, the device isn't encrypted. It's only encrypted when you manually encrypt it in Settings -> Security -> Encrypt phone (a process that takes a while and wasn't very stable in my experience). Most people won't need to worry about it, and most people shouldn't format /data anyway (as it will clear internal storage).
    When you wipe /data, TWRP will log some errors, but it will work anyway. Reboot TWRP (Reboot -> Recovery) to be able to mount /data inside TWRP.

I haven't tested this build myself but I hope it'll work (my test builds worked fine).
    Yes, I think it's because of the 'auto' in the fstab. I've set it to ext4 in this build (for data and cache):
    https://aykevl.nl/download/2017-07-03-recovery.img
    This build also contains the previous fixes (adoptable storage, fixing the kminiltexx error).
    If it fixes the issue for you, I'll push the change for inclusion in the next official build.

I didn't see any negative consequences of changing the FS type in fstab. Even setting the fstab entry to 'f2fs' mounts /data as usual (as ext4) so I think it's safe.
    The current kernel used upstream is somewhat older and hasn't enabled SELinux yet. I don't see why you would want enforcing SELinux in TWRP, though.

I think I have a fix for that, please test https://aykevl.nl/download/2017-06-25-recovery-fix-ota-asserts.img (not tested by me)

Nice!

I might look into it. I don't use it at the moment but am considering it.
    EDIT: I have fixed it, it will be included in the next build.
    Seems to be fixed now, new images are available on the twrp homepage
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone