[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP 3.3.1-0 for Galaxy A8 2018

Search This thread

mindlery

May 1, 2018
Calgary
TWRP Recovery Samsung galaxy A8 Star SM-885F not support?

If it isn't listed here:

https://twrp.me/Devices/Samsung/

Or here:

https://twrpbuilder.github.io/downloads/twrp/

Then it is not available.
What you can do, is use the 2nd link and if i remember correctly, you can submit a request and your phone will send data to begin the process. Read what to do, follow the instructions carefully of course, and you'll get your prize. Might need to get an app, but i did this on the A5 and was using the recovery produced prior to official status. Chances are it's been started if not already available. It'll eventually become official.

If you're impatient and have a good understanding of the process, you can invest your own time and do it yourself. Definitely do what is required and just have a look once a day, once a week.. and it shall happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnhThi

AnhThi

Dec 23, 2018
i don't have a computer and don't have the knowledge to compile twrp this seems diffi

i don't have a computer and don't have the knowledge to compile twrp this seems difficult if you want to have recovery for your device

SouthOkanagan

Sep 4, 2014
Sorry....I typed a msg to this thread by mistake.
So I've deleted the txt but I'll just say Hi to everyone instead.
Sorry.

Last edited:

sd1074

Sep 14, 2020
Hi BlackMesa123, thanks for great work!

I have followed the instructions carefully and repeated several times. I initially tried things on linux with adb and heimdall, however heimdall was failing to flash, so I returned back to your exact instructions for Windows using Odin3 v3.13.1 you linked. When I try to flash twrp-3.4.0-0-jackpotlte.img.tar into my Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) aka SM-A530F, Odin fails consistently with this log:
Code:
<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> Total Binary size: 35 M
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/006> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/006> recovery.img
<ID:0/006> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/006> 
<ID:0/006> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/006> Removed!!

I believe my phone is not RMM locked because I see Developer Options in my settings. I tried the process with OEM unlocking enabled and disabled in my phone Dev Options. No success yet.
I googled the issue for a few hours, however people mostly report seeing RQT_CLOSE when phone is RMM locked, which I believe is not my case. Maybe this is related to the recent Android update I installed yesterday.

Phone software:
Code:
Android 9
Baseband version: A530FXXUECTH1
Kernel version: 
 - 4.4.111-19323942
 - #1 Mon Aug 3 15:36:52 KST 2020
Build number: PPR1.180610.011.A530FXXUECTH2
Security patch level: August 1,2020
Security software verion:
 - ASKS v3.1.1 Rlease 20200120
 - ADP v3.0 Releasae 20191001
 - SMR Aug-2020 Release 1

Could you please help investigate?

Adil Tariq

May 29, 2015
yes, latest version for our device "jackpotlte" is 3.5.1_9.0. You can download it from the official twrp website.

@BlackMesa123, bro the screenshot ability is kind of bugged in the latest version of twrp, all the colors are inverted in the screenshots taken, for example blue appears red, pink appears purple, etc. This is kind of a bother if you want to share some twrp theme related data/ files. Kindly fix this. The issue is also acvtive HERE on GitHub....

ReMiOS

Mar 13, 2021
How can i install an OTA update (and maintain root) ?

I have rooted using TWRP 3.5 and Magisk 22

I've found several instructions using the “TWRP A/B Retention Script”
but since the Samsung A8 (2018) has an A-Only (or non A/B) partition scheme
i am left in the dark ...

darkherman

hi @BlackMesa123 I have the Japanese variant of A8 2018 which is SC-02L with unlocked bootloader, I want to know if I can flash twrp without problem for this device?

ah my variant upgraded to Android 10 and now has Partition A/B

Attachments

• photo_2022-07-26_09-57-32.jpg
    photo_2022-07-26_09-57-32.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 12
  • build.pro info.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

BlackMesa123

Aug 29, 2015
Adrano
Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy J5
hi @BlackMesa123 I have the Japanese variant of A8 2018 which is SC-02L with unlocked bootloader, I want to know if I can flash twrp without problem for this device?

ah my variant upgraded to Android 10 and now has Partition A/B
I'm not 100% sure, it might boot but you probably will find some bugs that could happen due to different kernels and device tree.

Reactions: darkherman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about doing this to your device
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

home.png
    backupname.png

Disclaimer:
    - I am not responsible about any damage of any kind that this custom binary may cause.
    - Please read the whole main post & related ones before proceed and follow the guide as it is wrote. I will not offer support for any issues that have been already stated.
    - Your Knox Warranty Bit will be blown once you flash this or others custom binaries, preventing you to use Knox TZ Features. It can't be resetted in any way, so think twice before flashing this.
    - Bugs can be reported here in XDA or via our Telegram Group. Please be more clear as possible and make sure you provide detailed info when reporting bugs (device variant and logcat).
    - If you like my work please hit the "Thanks" button to support me. You're also free to donate me via my donation link here in XDA.

What is TWRP?
    Oh come on, you know what it is - don't try to fool me!
    In case you're serious, though...

Team Win Recovery Project is a custom recovery for Android devices.
    It allows you to back up and restore your data, flash custom ROMs to your device, repair broken file systems, root your device and more.

Read more about TWRP here: https://twrp.me/about/

How to flash and setup it completely?
    - First, make sure your phone isn't RMM Locked.
    - Download Odin3 v3.13.1, Samsung USB Drivers, latest TWRP's tar for your variant, latest no-verity-opt-encrypt zip and RMM Bypass v3 zip.
    - Go to Settings App, Developer Options and enable OEM Unlock (If you don't see Developer Setings, go into About phone>Software info and tap "Build number" 10 times to show Developer Options menu).
    - Do a backup of all your important data and files in your phone.
    - Shutdown the phone. Once it's off, Power it On in Download Mode (Press and hold Power, Vol + and Vol - buttons together)
    - Connect your phone in your PC, open Odin3, go in Option section and untick "Auto-reboot". Once that click the "AP" button and select the TWRP tar you downloaded before, then press the "Start" button.
    - Once Odin3 finished to flash the recovery (you should see a "PASS" message), force reboot your phone (Press and hold Power and Vol - buttons together) and once the screen is off, press and hold Power and Vol + buttons together to boot in TWRP.
    - Once TWRP is booted you first need to decrypt your /data partition. To do so touch Wipe>Format Data and follow the instructions in screen.
    - Once it finished go back at the home screen and touch Reboot>Recovery. TWRP should be able to mount your data partition. Now copy the no-verity-opt-encrypt and RMM Bypass zip you downloaded before and flash them (touch Install and select each zip to flash it)
    - You're now able to reboot to your OS without re-encrypting /data partition and without RMM Prenormal lock.

Download:
    Galaxy A8 2018 (jackpotlte):
    https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxya82018.html

Galaxy A8+ 2018 (jackpot2lte):
    https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxya8plus2018.html

Sources:
    Kernel Source Code: https://github.com/devkingsteam/android_kernel_samsung_universal7885/
    Device Tree (jackpotlte): https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_samsung_jackpotlte
    Device Tree (jackpot2lte): https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_samsung_jackpot2lte

Changelog:
    Check Post #2.

A8 2018 Community Telegram Group:
    Invite Link

Credits:
    - Samsung for kernel source code
    - TeamWin for their awesome recovery
    - @ananjaser1211 and @McFy for their help and support
    - @SaboorTheCool for testing out the recovery

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Galaxy A8 2018, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018)

Contributors
    BlackMesa123
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.3.1-0
    Stable Release Date: 2019-05-20

Created 2018-07-18
    Last Updated 2019-06-17
    Changelog:

Note that this page only includes device-specific changes. For global TWRP changes, go to twrp.me.

20180921 (3.2.3-0)
    - Updated kernel source code
    - Fixed USB OTG
    - Enabled FBE support (general AOSP only, Samsung method is still not supported)

20180730 (3.2.3-0)
    - Removed /preload from partitions table
    - Added /system_image (raw system partition backup)
    - Enabled software encryption support (general AOSP only, Samsung method is still not supported)

20180718 (3.2.2-0)
    - First release
    Really proud to announce my request to became the official TWRP Maintainer for Galaxy A8/A8+ 2018 has been accepted! You can download the new build of TWRP directly from twrp.me now.
    Check your build prop you may find your solution.[/QUOTE4]do not understand

No problem, he was saying to check build.prop to see if there was some strange prop enabled (like Knox Zygote one). Anyway me and @salimskiy find out it's Magisk/SuperSU related and not some kinda of anti-root protection (it's related to systemless root method, in particular the patch of "init" file in ramdisk). I'm gonna report the issue to topjohnwu in afternoon and see if the dev can fix it