[RECOVERY] Official TWRP 3.3.1 for Moto G7 Plus [lake]

Search This thread

Dahenjo

Oct 18, 2014
CT
Same here... "System integrity compromised" and I only unlocked the bootloader, nothing else

Everyone gets that after bootloader is unlocked, you must realize that vendors need to make taking control of your device seem like the end of the world. Like most here I simply installed a different bootlogo (this message is simply on a bootlogo) available here in the forum to get rid of it:
https://xdaforums.com/g7-plus/development/bootlogo-modded-bootlogo-unlocked-t3910421

Lupask

Aug 19, 2016
Everyone gets that after bootloader is unlocked, you must realize that vendors need to make taking control of your device seem like the end of the world. Like most here I simply installed a different bootlogo (this message is simply on a bootlogo) available here in the forum to get rid of it:
https://xdaforums.com/g7-plus/development/bootlogo-modded-bootlogo-unlocked-t3910421

Yes, I'm OK with all the warnings and stuff. I did accept the unlocking agreement after all. However just changing the boot logo that I see maybe once a week does not really help. If the updates exist and the system was not changed at all, why not allow them just because of unlocked bootloader. I'm sure some other ways of maintaining system integrity exist
(this is not to critisize you or anyone here but Lenovorola)

I installed Magisk yesterday, did Safetynet check and, surprise: a system update popped up. I click install and it starts to download and apply... and then: at 12% "there was a problem updating ..." and no changes made. bam.
and the update notification keeps pestering me again and again. I'll have to find a full system image with updates included

Dahenjo

Oct 18, 2014
CT
Yes, I'm OK with all the warnings and stuff. I did accept the unlocking agreement after all. However just changing the boot logo that I see maybe once a week does not really help. If the updates exist and the system was not changed at all, why not allow them just because of unlocked bootloader. I'm sure some other ways of maintaining system integrity exist
(this is not to critisize you or anyone here but Lenovorola)

I installed Magisk yesterday, did Safetynet check and, surprise: a system update popped up. I click install and it starts to download and apply... and then: at 12% "there was a problem updating ..." and no changes made. bam.
and the update notification keeps pestering me again and again. I'll have to find a full system image with updates included

Maybe see this post rather than repeat myself:
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=79655875&postcount=10

I heard since that post that relocking bootloader still won't get OTAs and still get system compromised message. Lenovorola stated that unlocking shouldn't affect receiving OTAs so they aren't living up to the information they provided to users. It appears that after unlocking G7 Plus we will need to upgrade manually either by flashing full firmware or if lucky TWRP installable zips made by a dev from captured OTAs.

Lupask

Aug 19, 2016
Maybe see this post rather than repeat myself:
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=79655875&postcount=10

I heard since that post that relocking bootloader still won't get OTAs and still get system compromised message. Lenovorola stated that unlocking shouldn't affect receiving OTAs so they aren't living up to the information they provided to users. It appears that after unlocking G7 Plus we will need to upgrade manually either by flashing full firmware or if lucky TWRP installable zips made by a dev from captured OTAs.

Thanks for the tip. Well, it seems the only choices are to either flash full images with updates included from lolinet, or wait for someone to capture OTA's to make them flashable zips

badwax

Jan 7, 2013
Moto G 5G Plus
i was mistaken about twrp touch not working. when i typed in the string, i omitted the .img on the end. through trial and error, i finally went back and redid everything from the beginning, and flashed dirty the twrp . i am now rooted and relieved. forgive my mistake. everything seems to be working great xt1965-2
. .

Reactions: Zobat

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
Reactions: zfk110

Tomato_Jam

Jan 31, 2013
I have TWRP installed, and I have what is no doubt a really daft question..
But..
How do I boot into TWRP?
I have tried Power + Volume down - I get the bootloader with options:
Start
Restart Bootloader
Recovery Mode - Brings me to the 'no command' screen
Power Off
Factory Mode
BP Tools - Seems to reboot as normal
QCOM
Bootloader Logs
Switch Tools Mode - Does nothing
Barcodes

I can do it using cmd on pc, just wondering how to do it without PC.

Last edited:

tag68

Nov 25, 2014
Moto G 2014
Moto X Play
I have TWRP installed, and I have what is no doubt a really daft question..
Are you sure it is installed? Do you mean it was flashed, or do you mean it was booted?
I can do it using cmd on pc, just wondering how to do it without PC.
Usually it is not recommended to flash TWRP. If you use "fastboot boot", it gets transferred once without flashing. So you need a PC every time you want to start it.

If you want to flash twrp, you need to boot twrp and then flash it. Explanations see here. When twrp is correctly flashed, you start recovery from that boot menu.

Reactions: Tomato_Jam

Tomato_Jam

Jan 31, 2013
I flashed/permanently installed it using the guide from the OP, but can't boot into it from that menu.
I will wipe and start again, as I am having other issues, and was going to anyway.
Also my folders are garbled names, like in this
RTwjCZ.jpg

Tomato_Jam

Jan 31, 2013
Are you sure it is installed? Do you mean it was flashed, or do you mean it was booted?

Usually it is not recommended to flash TWRP. If you use "fastboot boot", it gets transferred once without flashing. So you need a PC every time you want to start it.

If you want to flash twrp, you need to boot twrp and then flash it. Explanations see here. When twrp is correctly flashed, you start recovery from that boot menu.

Thanks for the help. I have wiped and started again, and can boot into it no problem now :victory:

Rask40

Aug 24, 2013
As an FYI, the first post is not updated with the most recent twrp. I learned this the hard way when I encountered the touchless interface, and had to reboot and reinstall the latest version that's in post 17.

Reactions: shaDNfro

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
Update!

Changes:
- twrp 3.3.1
- decryption working (booted and installed)
- possibly fix touchscreen not working for everyone (need more confirmation)
- new installer zip for easier updating, and can be flash in Magisk Manager as a module

** Downloads **
TWRP || twrp-3.3.1-v4.0-lake-jlb.img

INSTALLER || twrp-installer-3.3.1-v4.0-lake-jlb.zip

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
I've updated the OP with links to the new build and some new info regarding installation.

I'm waiting on some feedback to see how the new update is going for you guys before I apply for official status to make sure I haven't missed anything. As far as I know, everything should be working. I've added in decryption support and have verified it successfully decrypts data when fastboot booting twrp, as well as installing twrp permanently. I also rewrote the touchscreen module loading script to load the touchscreen modules directly from /vendor/lib/modules rather than having to ship them with the build and update them each firmware update. My hope is that this method works for everyone, regardless of the firmware version. I've received some confirmation on a few firmware version so far, but more is better [emoji6]

I'll upload some screenshots shortly too

Reactions: zfk110 and tag68

tag68

Nov 25, 2014
Moto G 2014
Moto X Play
Magisk supports OTA. I'd like to have that possibility (although I didn't have an update by now, so it is untested for me for A/B-device), therefore I usually only boot twrp via fastboot. Is it possible to install TWRP after Magisk and keep that workflow? If I understand correctly, Magisk restores its backup of the boot partition. But this would only be possible on the slot where Magisk is installed, right? Would it be possible to install TWRP only on slots where Magisk is installed and has a valid backup of the original boot partition?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hyYdf7R.png

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It's a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

This device has 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

NOTE:
    Decryption of data works when fastboot booting TWRP AND when permanently installing TWRP

Installation
    To temporarily boot this recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-[b]build-version[/b]-lake.img

To permanently install it:
    • Temporarily boot twrp
    • Place the twrp-installer zip on your internal/external storage, or push to /sdcard or /external_sd using adb:
      Code:
      adb push twrp-installer-[b]build-version[/b]-lake.zip /sdcard (or /external_sd)
    • Tap Install -> Navigate to /sdcard or /external_sd and select the twrp-installer -> Swipe to install
    • Reboot recovery. NOTE: if you had Magisk installed previously, be sure to flash again before rebooting to System
    • NOTE: you can flash the twrp-installer zip directly in Magisk Manager as a module to install and/or update TWRP!

NOTE: Currently, there is no official twrp-installer zip, but there will be for the next official update. However, you can use the "unofficial" twrp-installer for the time being as it is built using the same sources

Downloads
    • TWRP (Official) || https://twrp.me/motorola/motorolamotog7plus.html
    • TWRP (Unofficial) || twrp-3.3.1-lake-Q-v1.img
    • INSTALLER || twrp-installer-3.3.1-lake-Q-v1.zip

NOTE: The unofficial twrp.img and twrp-installer.zip have been updated for Stock Q and Q based custom ROM's. They may also work on all Pie ROM's (is anyone still using Pie?) as well but is untested

XDA:DevDB Information
    TeamWin Recovery Project 3.3.1, Tool/Utility for the Moto G7 Plus

Contributors
    Jleeblanch
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_motorola_lake

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.3.1-0
    Stable Release Date: 2019-07-23
    Current Beta Version: 3.3.1
    Beta Release Date: 2019-05-11

Created 2019-05-14
    Last Updated 2020-04-03
    so pointless until touch support i am guessing
    Not pointless, and besides touch was working fine up until PPWS29.98-66-2 was released. I've since fixed touch in the latest firmware.

AFH Download -> twrp-3.3.1-v3-lake-jlb.img

md5sum = 008d4434ada4b6b68034dd19b2d199b3

I'll update the OP accordingly this evening.
    Update!

Changes:
    - twrp 3.3.1
    - decryption working (booted and installed)
    - possibly fix touchscreen not working for everyone (need more confirmation)
    - new installer zip for easier updating, and can be flash in Magisk Manager as a module

** Downloads **
    TWRP || twrp-3.3.1-v4.0-lake-jlb.img

INSTALLER || twrp-installer-3.3.1-v4.0-lake-jlb.zip
    Yes, of course. The device comes fully treble enabled, so it wouldn't make sense to build TWRP without supporting it. I'm sure it'll need some tweaks here and there and I gotta add in decryption support. It's not that it's broken, I just haven't implemented it yet. I wanted to get a working build up for at least flashing Magisk and GSI's.
    Hey guys,
    I've not installed TWRP for a long time, I've been using the same phone (Nextbit Robin) almost two years.
    Do I follow this guide to install this? https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-twrp/
    Using the instructions above?

The important thing NOT to follow at that link (which otherwise seems to have good info) is DON'T 'fastboot flash recovery twrp.img' but instead do 'fastboot boot twrp.img' to only boot it initially (notice the words 'flash' and 'recovery' aren't in there), after which there is a new way within TWRP to fully install it. The reason is because there is no longer a recovery partition in the newer A/B-slotted devices including G7+, so if you fastboot flash the old way it could brick your device. So just follow the instructions in OP of this thread once you get to the 'Install via ADB' section.

Edit: another thing is that touch isn't working in current version after installing twrp in latest firmware versions (but does work when booted), also as pointed out in OP decryption still isn't added so can't do full nandroid backups or work with internal storage.