[RECOVERY] Official TWRP 3.3.1 for Moto G7 Plus [lake]

Search This thread

cherry314159

Nov 11, 2009
I'm trying to install TWRP on a new unlocked G7+ (updated to Android 10 patch level August 1, 2020)
Unfortunately, the fastboot boot twrp.img hangs on my linux host. fastboot devices reports my device is ready.
I've tried various images: twrp-3.3.1-lake-Q-v1.img, and twrp-3.4.0-0-lake.img with the same results.

Edit: I've tried using an oder machine with a USB 2 port and the boot command downloaded and restarted
the phone and looks like it tried to go to recovery. However, after a few seconds it returned to the bootloader.

I must be missing something. Any ideas?

View attachment 5170697

(yes, I've cracked the glass)
Success at last!

I had to use the latest image twrp-3.5.0_9.-0-lake.img on a USB2 port.

moslondon

Sep 30, 2012
Dallas
I just got this device. It came with Android 10 installed. I already unlocked the bootloader. Now I am at the point trying to boot this recovery but it hangs in "sending 'boot.img' (30084 KB)". Nothing happens, I already tried the other ports on my pc.

g422

Sep 25, 2016
I give up trying to boot/flash this or any recovery. I tried port 3 and 2 with same results.
Do you have a usb adapter or hub you can use? When I have my phone plugged into pc it adb/fastboot dont work it just hangs. However i used my 2.0 3 in 1 usb adapter i use on fire tv and adb/fastboot work with using that.

DaveImagery

Jun 7, 2014
Okay I've successfully unlocked my bootloader, but when I tried to flash latest twrp installer (3.5.0_9-0-lake) I get an error "Updater process ended with Error 1, Error installing zip file above mentioned 3.5....lake zip" It seems to be flashed anyway, but I have to hit cancel on the Decrypt Data screen, and TWRP doesn't appear to be saving my settings, i.e. screent timeout duration etc. Greatly appreciate any help, thanks

g422

Sep 25, 2016
Okay I've successfully unlocked my bootloader, but when I tried to flash latest twrp installer (3.5.0_9-0-lake) I get an error "Updater process ended with Error 1, Error installing zip file above mentioned 3.5....lake zip" It seems to be flashed anyway, but I have to hit cancel on the Decrypt Data screen, and TWRP doesn't appear to be saving my settings, i.e. screent timeout duration etc. Greatly appreciate any help, thanks
The decrypt data is because you have a password on phone unlock. So put in phone unlock password.

fankool

Hi guys,

I kindly ask your help to understand what's happening.
I received 3 days ago my G7 Plus, and I tried (better, I've still been trying) to install recovery. I'm still spending time trying to unlock my phone. I enabled USB debugging and OEM unlock from developer option and rebooted in bootloader mode using last version of platform tools.
At this point, when send "fastboot oem get unlock_data" I just read:
< waiting for any device >
and nothing more. Recovery is working (I can still change the options pressing up/down), but I can't unlock phone or read the requested 4 lines code.
The phone shows:

AP fastboot flash mode (Secure)
BL: MBM-3.0-lake_retail-3853.....
Baseband: M636_21.71.02.66R LAKE_WEJPDSDS_CUST
Product/Variant: lake XT1965-3 64GB PVT
Seruial number: ZY........
CPU: SDM636 1.0 (1)
eMMC: 64GB ....
DRAM: 4GB MICRON ....
Console [NULL]: null
Tools Mode config: DISABLED
Power OK
oem_locked
Transfer mode: USB Connected

What's wrong? Do I have to set any option on the menu different from start?
Thank you

EmuLegs

Mar 17, 2021
Hi guys,

I received 3 days ago my G7 Plus, and I tried (better, I've still been trying) to install recovery. I'm still spending time trying to unlock my phone. I enabled USB debugging and OEM unlock from developer option and rebooted in bootloader mode using last version of platform tools.
and nothing more. Recovery is working (I can still change the options pressing up/down), but I can't unlock phone or read the requested 4 lines code.
The phone shows:

Power OK
oem_locked

Thank you
did you install the computer drivers (from moto)?
because my fastboot wouldn't talk to my pc untill i installed them :)

g422

Sep 25, 2016
Hi guys,

The phone shows:

Power OK
oem_locked

Thank you
I had same problem you either have to try different cord, different port preferably 2.0 usb port. Mine happened to be fixed by using a 3 port 2.0 usb adapter. Or try a different pc altogether

fankool

I hope you will be so kind to tolerate my questions, I moved from a samsung s5 mini, this g7 plus is very different.
I want to backup my phone (I want to have the possibility to restore in a while if there's any problem with my android), but on backup section I can see a lot of partitions. Where can I read some information about the contents of them? Only "boot" and "Data" are flagged by default, but there are also "DTBO", System", "System Image", "Vendor", "Vendor Image", "EFS", "persist", "Firmware", "FSG", "OEM", "DSP" and "Boot logo". I can imagine what's last option, but what could be useful to backup? What's their content?
Any suggestion is really appreciate.

g422

Sep 25, 2016
I hope you will be so kind to tolerate my questions, I moved from a samsung s5 mini, this g7 plus is very different.
I want to backup my phone (I want to have the possibility to restore in a while if there's any problem with my android), but on backup section I can see a lot of partitions. Where can I read some information about the contents of them? Only "boot" and "Data" are flagged by default, but there are also "DTBO", System", "System Image", "Vendor", "Vendor Image", "EFS", "persist", "Firmware", "FSG", "OEM", "DSP" and "Boot logo". I can imagine what's last option, but what could be useful to backup? What's their content?
Any suggestion is really appreciate.
I just go with standard boot data system.

fankool

Well g422,

I followed your suggestions. Using 3.5.1_9 version of TWRP I created a backup of my Android 11 EvolutionX 5.5, choosing to save boot, data (excl. storage) and system. After some troubles I decided t restore this backup but at almost the end of procedure I reached:
extractTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255
I found something on the web, a lot of people reported the problem is related with parallel apps and suggested to cancel some 999 directories and user. Not for me, considering I haven't any folder 999 nor user 999 to remove.
Anyway, the rom installation has gone and I reinstalled all (not a big problem, fortunately I made few personalizations).
I still don't understand the reason and I'm worried to reinstall everything if restore is not working properly. As some one wrote on this forum I am (was?) a believer of TWRP and the convenience of backup/restore, but now my faith is becoming uncertain.
Someone reported another solution: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/solved-restoring-twrp-backup-fails-error-255/64071 but (hoping it works) it's necessary to manually copy /data/media/0 to pc or memory card

My question:
1) Did anyone encounter the same issue?
2) Is it possible to backup/compress, as made during backup, also /data/media/0 ?
3) Do I have to backup any other than boot, data (excl. storage) and system? Or better not to backup one of them?
4) Anyone tried orangefox? I didn't find any official or unofficial release for g7 plus...

Grislu

Jan 19, 2021
Hello, please help !! My moto g7 plus ran out of recovery when I tried to put twrp on it. If I restart or turn off first, it enters the fastboot option and I have to press star to continue turning on. I already put stock firmware several times and it remains the same. Please someone to explain to me how I do the flashing so that the recovery stock returns. Thank you

Hello, please help !! My moto g7 plus ran out of recovery when I tried to put twrp on it. If I restart or turn off first, it enters the fastboot option and I have to press star to continue turning on. I already put stock firmware several times and it remains the same. Please someone to explain to me how I do the flashing so that the recovery stock returns. Thank you
still need help?

stigmandroid

Jun 22, 2014
São Paulo
Moto G7 Plus
The twrp-installer-3.5.2_9-0-lake version had some issues on my XT-1965 device:

1 - After entering recovery mode the screen freezes, it is not possible to enter the unlock password to decrypt the phone. It is necessary to restart the bootloader a few times and enter recovery mode for retrying.
2 - After making a backup of the partitions for future recovery, several applications present instability, cause constant crashes, making it necessary to turn the device off and on. It is impossible to use it in this way. My recommendation, don't.

After installing this version and backups, dalvik/art cache wipes were done. No results. Sorry for the bad English.

The twrp-installer-3.5.2_9-0-lake version had some issues on my XT-1965 device:

1 - After entering recovery mode the screen freezes, it is not possible to enter the unlock password to decrypt the phone. It is necessary to restart the bootloader a few times and enter recovery mode for retrying.
2 - After making a backup of the partitions for future recovery, several applications present instability, cause constant crashes, making it necessary to turn the device off and on. It is impossible to use it in this way. My recommendation, don't.

After installing this version and backups, dalvik/art cache wipes were done. No results. Sorry for the bad English.
What model: XT1965-x? What is x? 2, 3, T?

Reactions: stigmandroid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hyYdf7R.png

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It's a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

This device has 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

NOTE:
    Decryption of data works when fastboot booting TWRP AND when permanently installing TWRP

Installation
    To temporarily boot this recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-[b]build-version[/b]-lake.img

To permanently install it:
    • Temporarily boot twrp
    • Place the twrp-installer zip on your internal/external storage, or push to /sdcard or /external_sd using adb:
      Code:
      adb push twrp-installer-[b]build-version[/b]-lake.zip /sdcard (or /external_sd)
    • Tap Install -> Navigate to /sdcard or /external_sd and select the twrp-installer -> Swipe to install
    • Reboot recovery. NOTE: if you had Magisk installed previously, be sure to flash again before rebooting to System
    • NOTE: you can flash the twrp-installer zip directly in Magisk Manager as a module to install and/or update TWRP!

NOTE: Currently, there is no official twrp-installer zip, but there will be for the next official update. However, you can use the "unofficial" twrp-installer for the time being as it is built using the same sources

Downloads
    • TWRP (Official) || https://twrp.me/motorola/motorolamotog7plus.html
    • TWRP (Unofficial) || twrp-3.3.1-lake-Q-v1.img
    • INSTALLER || twrp-installer-3.3.1-lake-Q-v1.zip

NOTE: The unofficial twrp.img and twrp-installer.zip have been updated for Stock Q and Q based custom ROM's. They may also work on all Pie ROM's (is anyone still using Pie?) as well but is untested

XDA:DevDB Information
    TeamWin Recovery Project 3.3.1, Tool/Utility for the Moto G7 Plus

Contributors
    Jleeblanch
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_motorola_lake

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.3.1-0
    Stable Release Date: 2019-07-23
    Current Beta Version: 3.3.1
    Beta Release Date: 2019-05-11

Created 2019-05-14
    Last Updated 2020-04-03
    so pointless until touch support i am guessing
    Not pointless, and besides touch was working fine up until PPWS29.98-66-2 was released. I've since fixed touch in the latest firmware.

AFH Download -> twrp-3.3.1-v3-lake-jlb.img

md5sum = 008d4434ada4b6b68034dd19b2d199b3

I'll update the OP accordingly this evening.
    Update!

Changes:
    - twrp 3.3.1
    - decryption working (booted and installed)
    - possibly fix touchscreen not working for everyone (need more confirmation)
    - new installer zip for easier updating, and can be flash in Magisk Manager as a module

** Downloads **
    TWRP || twrp-3.3.1-v4.0-lake-jlb.img

INSTALLER || twrp-installer-3.3.1-v4.0-lake-jlb.zip
    Yes, of course. The device comes fully treble enabled, so it wouldn't make sense to build TWRP without supporting it. I'm sure it'll need some tweaks here and there and I gotta add in decryption support. It's not that it's broken, I just haven't implemented it yet. I wanted to get a working build up for at least flashing Magisk and GSI's.
    Hey guys,
    I've not installed TWRP for a long time, I've been using the same phone (Nextbit Robin) almost two years.
    Do I follow this guide to install this? https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-twrp/
    Using the instructions above?

The important thing NOT to follow at that link (which otherwise seems to have good info) is DON'T 'fastboot flash recovery twrp.img' but instead do 'fastboot boot twrp.img' to only boot it initially (notice the words 'flash' and 'recovery' aren't in there), after which there is a new way within TWRP to fully install it. The reason is because there is no longer a recovery partition in the newer A/B-slotted devices including G7+, so if you fastboot flash the old way it could brick your device. So just follow the instructions in OP of this thread once you get to the 'Install via ADB' section.

Edit: another thing is that touch isn't working in current version after installing twrp in latest firmware versions (but does work when booted), also as pointed out in OP decryption still isn't added so can't do full nandroid backups or work with internal storage.