• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[RECOVERY][Official] TWRP 3.4.0-6 [T83x][mtp][otg]

Search This thread

enotar

Jun 23, 2010
What do you mean oem is ok? It says it's on in your bootloader screen. FRP is something I've never had to deal with so I don't know.

And why can't you log into your Samsung account if you are on full stock SF4?

Flash bootloader first by itself (BL) in Odin.
Reboot into download mode again.
Flash AP
Flash CSC (not HOME_CSC)

Boot into stock recovery, wipe data factory reset.
Boot up. Login to everything, switch oem unlock.

[emoji450] --->
Thanks. I am now on SF3 rooted, all fine. No more SF4 for now.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

caspianprince

Aug 28, 2014
Facing issue installing twrp. I flashed latest SF4 through odin. I checked OEM unlock in developer settings. Then when i try to flash twrp through odin it fails saying ' only official binaries can be flashed'. How do i flash twrp now? I thought OEM unlock was supposed to unlock bootloader?then what's with this problem?

ultenhiemer

Mar 30, 2018
West Midlands, UK
WETA Kernel?

So I'm gonna sound really newb-ish here.

So with the WETA Kernel you ask to compare it to the firmware of my device to get the proper version. Yet I wonder, which firmware do you mean. Do you mean the device version (T830/T835) or do you mean the build number of Pie on stock that the device is currently using?

Also in the downloads there are several files with different version numbers, would I just go for the latest one for my device. Or are there only specific ones for specific versions of these devices that I should use? (Such as mobile network models... etc)

g0at1

Sep 24, 2013
@ultenhiemer

Considering the level of your questions, I recommend you take some time to read through the thread. This will help you learn a bit more about the device and will possibly avoid you bricking it.

Anyway, it's up to you.

ultenhiemer

Mar 30, 2018
West Midlands, UK
@ultenhiemer

Considering the level of your questions, I recommend you take some time to read through the thread. This will help you learn a bit more about the device and will possibly avoid you bricking it.

Anyway, it's up to you.

But you dont actually answer my question though.

To be clear, this is actually my first Samsung device that I am rooting. Though it isn't my first time rooting a device overall, as I am more familiar with how Sony devices are rooted. But since Sony stopped making tablets a long time ago, I've changed to Samsung now that my old Sony tablet has died. I have ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4, but I havent received it yet. The time I am spending and the questions that I am asking now are more to familiarise myself with the rooting process of this device, so that I dont actually end up bricking it by mistake.

So before you had even brought it up I had already read through the thread and comments a couple times. Whilst most of it seems pretty straight forward, I am a bit lost when it comes to the WETA kernel (Which reading the thread again wouldn't enlighten me). My tablet is the wifi only version (T830) and looking at the downloads provided there are only 2 files that actually say WETA kernel (the SF3 and SF4 versions). So am I to assume one of these are right for my device whilst the other is for the LTE/wifi version? Which one is the right one for me to use?

Also, what are the other files with them? Obviously theres the V2 encryption disabler. But the other files called "WETA_P_T830_5.0.zip"... etc, that are 1.7GB or more, genuinely confuse me. Are they the stock firmware/operating system? (modified?). They aren't really mentioned in the instructions so are they used here?

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
So I'm gonna sound really newb-ish here.

So with the WETA Kernel you ask to compare it to the firmware of my device to get the proper version. Yet I wonder, which firmware do you mean. Do you mean the device version (T830/T835) or do you mean the build number of Pie on stock that the device is currently using?

Also in the downloads there are several files with different version numbers, would I just go for the latest one for my device. Or are there only specific ones for specific versions of these devices that I should use? (Such as mobile network models... etc)
Firmware version is what I mean. You need to match the kernel built for the firmware version you are on. I have just made a flashable zip, with the SD1 and the SF4 kernel in it. I'll link it.

Basically if you are after a kernel for firmware older than that, I'd be recommending updating.

It's starting to matter more and more, that each version bump requires an odin flash of full firmware. Some people hate me saying that., But I really don't see the big deal.

Once per month, flash clean odin. Restore data.

[emoji450] --->

Reactions: minionhunter

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
WETA Kernel + encryption disabled

I have made the Kernel and encryption portion a little more straight forward, download the one installer zip, choose the Kernel you need (device model + firmware version issuing volume buttons), Kernel will install (pre patched with Magisk) then encryption will also be automatically disabled.

This doesn't change the initial install of TWRP via Odin.

Last edited:
Reactions: g0at1 and enotar

IronCross1788

Mar 7, 2008
TWRP 3.3.0 for PIE SM-T83x

This build of TWRP is now Official.
Official TWRP web link

Built using OMNI source
TWRP v3.3.0

See post #2 for install steps

Changelog...

Initial build
MTP, OTG and SDcard all working

TWRP Downloads

Download TWRP 3.3.0 TAR/IMG

--------------------->

Kernel Source
Source

Device Tree
Source

--------------------->

Beer fund
This is what I got now 1562628569987.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

enotar

Jun 23, 2010
Do you have a link to that file? I'm not having much luck

Sammobile
https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-tab-s4/firmware/SM-T830/
If you have a T830

Or this
https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-tab-s4/firmware/SM-T835/
If you have a T835

Folow instruction on Sammobile
You will need to go back on DL mode somehow
For my T830 I have to do (vol up /vol dwn /power) at the same time to power off and imediately (vol up /vol dwn /usb cable connect to computer)

Last edited:

Leakhanak

Aug 28, 2008
You can flash TWRP two ways, either directly from an existing TWRP install, using the linked TWRP.img file. Or you can flash using Odin and the TWRP.tar file.

You will need a custom kernel with dm-verity disabled to be able to boot up afterwards. You will also need to disable encryption and format data to be able to read from the sdcard (encryption isn't supported).

I am new to Tab S4. Format data, what will be affected? Thanks

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
You can flash TWRP two ways, either directly from an existing TWRP install, using the linked TWRP.img file. Or you can flash using Odin and the TWRP.tar file.

You will need a custom kernel with dm-verity disabled to be able to boot up afterwards. You will also need to disable encryption and format data to be able to read from the sdcard (encryption isn't supported).

Formatting data , formats your data partition. So everything.

[emoji450] --->

Jul 5, 2019
Sammobile
https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-tab-s4/firmware/SM-T830/
If you have a T830

Or this
https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-tab-s4/firmware/SM-T835/
If you have a T835

Folow instruction on Sammobile
You will need to go back on DL mode somehow
For my T830 I have to do (vol up /vol dwn /power) at the same time to power off and imediately (vol up /vol dwn /usb cable connect to computer)

Thank you. Everything works amazing with full root access.

gsadjsajd

Sep 5, 2018
Important to pie to root
1. Unlock bootloader
2. Install Twrp.
3. Format Data !! After that (restart recovery)
4. Install Pie encrypt disabler
5. Format Data !!
6. Flash magisk.
7. Start pie
8. Unlock bootload (connecting to the internet) very important before you start trwp, otherwise there is a serious mistake, because you can repair only with Odin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP 3.4 for Android 10 SM-T83x

This build of TWRP is now Official.
    Official TWRP web link

Built using OMNI source
    TWRP v3.4

See post #2 for install steps

Changelog...

Initial build
    MTP, OTG and SDcard all working

Now in portrait mode
    Brightness fixed

Updated for Android 10

TWRP Downloads

Download folder

Official device tree on twrp.me

--------------------->

Kernel Source
    Source

Device Tree
    Source

--------------------->

Beer fund

The flashing process is as follows.

Get yourself onto stock Pie firmware, using Odin to flash the complete package. Before proceeding. Boot up and make sure you have OEM unlock switch and its activated.

1. Boot into Download mode and Flash TWRP (Download) using Odin (use AP)
    2. Immediately boot into TWRP after flashing takes place, hold vol up and power.
    3. Format data partition (wipe/format data)
    4. Reboot recovery
    5. Copy WETA Kernel + Encryption disabler + Magisk zip to device. - (Download Kernel - Encryption disabler)
    6. Flash WETA Kernel + Encrypt disabler + Magisk zip.
    7. Boot up system, if it hangs on Samsung logo after 3min perform hard reboot.
    8. Connect to internet and go to dev settings and check oem unlock is present before any rebooting.

** Custom kernel is universal for all bootloader v4 firmware.

--->
    TWRP 3.4-5

Updated for Android 10
    TWRP source updated to 3.4

Downloads

--->
    Install instructions

Post #2 has been updated with a new kernel installer. The issue with the old one is that the magisk environment needed to be present in data if the zip was going to work, and of course wiping data removed that. This zip works without Magisk environment.

Kernel/encryption off zip Download July18

--->

Formatting data , formats your data partition. So everything.

[emoji450] --->