[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 [jflte]

Search This thread

daromani

Oct 7, 2010
The issue I am describing here is regarding TWRO 3.1.1-0 and TWRP 3.2.3-0 for jfltexx, downloaded from https://dl.twrp.me/jfltexx/
Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum for this, I am a newbie.

I have two Samsung Galaxy S4 Model: SGH-I337M (jfltevl) phones.

The basic problem is this:

On working phone: TWRP 3.2.3-0 works fine.

On the not-working phone: TWRP 3.1.1-0 works fine. But TWRP 3.2.3-0 does not work.
The TWRP screen with the selection buttons is frozen. Does not respond to any taps. I have to remove battery and reinstall 3.1.1-0.
I tried both flash methods, Odin and TWRP.

I do notice that the file size of 3.2.3-0 is 0.7MB smaller than 3.1.1-0. Is it possible that the code removed also broke compatibility with my phone?

My TWRP 3.1.1-0 still works fine, so this is not a show-stopper of as problem.
But it has made me very curious to know why a newer version of TWRP works with one phone but not the other?
I view this as an opportunity to learn something.

Here are the Droid Info reports for the two phones:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE WORKING PHONE

DEVICE
Model: SGH-I337M (jfltevl)
Manufacturer: Samsung
Baseband Version: I337MVLUGOH1
RIL Version: Qualcomm RIL 1.0
Build Number: lineage_jfltexx-userdebug 9 PQ3A.190801.002 b88dfe0b56
Build Fingerprint: samsung/jfltevl/jfltecan:5.0.1/LRX22C/I337MVLSGQB1:user/release-keys
Bootloader: I337MVLUGOH1
Java VM: ART 2.1.0
OS Version: P (9)
SDK: 28

PROCESSOR
CPU Architecture: ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
Board: MSM8960
Chipset: SAMSUNG JF
Cores: 4
Clock Speed: 384 MHz - 1890 MHz
Instruction Sets: armeabi-v7a, armeabi
CPU Features: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt
CPU Governor: interactive
Kernel Version: 3.4.112-g3da4699
Kernel Architecture: armv7l

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE NOT-WORKING PHONE

DEVICE
Model: SGH-I337M (jfltevl)
Manufacturer: Samsung
Baseband Version: I337MVLSGQB1
RIL Version: Qualcomm RIL 1.0
Build Number: lineage_jfltexx-userdebug 9 PQ3A.190801.002 b88dfe0b56
Build Fingerprint: samsung/jfltevl/jfltecan:5.0.1/LRX22C/I337MVLSGQB1:user/release-keys
Bootloader: I337MVLSGQB1
Java VM: ART 2.1.0
OS Version: P (9)
SDK: 28

PROCESSOR
CPU Architecture: ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
Board: MSM8960
Chipset: SAMSUNG JF
Cores: 4
Clock Speed: 384 MHz - 1890 MHz
Instruction Sets: armeabi-v7a, armeabi
CPU Features: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt
CPU Governor: interactive
Kernel Version: 3.4.112-g3da4699
Kernel Architecture: armv7l

Last edited:

daromani

Oct 7, 2010
Accidentally double-posted - can't see how to remove this post so deleted text. Mod can you please remove this? Thanks.

Last edited:

daromani

Oct 7, 2010
I would first try upgrading the bootloader and baseband of the non-working phone to the same version as in the working phone.
Thanks for your advice.

Interestingly, the non-working phone has the newer firmware.
According to Sammobile firmware archive, I337MVLSGQB1 is from 2017 while I337MVLUGOH1 is from 2015.

Wondering of you can give me any advice about the best way to do what you suggest?
Should I reset the entire phone to original Samsung firmware I337MVLUGOH1 from Sammobile, using Odin as per the instructions at Sammobile? Then repeat the entire TWRP / LineageOS flashing process?

Hemuli

Dec 6, 2013
Wondering of you can give me any advice about the best way to do what you suggest?
Should I reset the entire phone to original Samsung firmware I337MVLUGOH1 from Sammobile, using Odin as per the instructions at Sammobile? Then repeat the entire TWRP / LineageOS flashing process?
Yes. Or if you can find a package which has separate BL, AP, Phone etc. packages, you could flash modem and bootloader individually. For latest firmware, you could get those with the Frija tool. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-frija-samsung-firmware-downloader-checker.3910594/

There's a lot of information in this thread, maybe some could be helpful to you https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/ref-galaxy-s4-family-modems-and-bootloaders-collection.3315987/

daromani

Oct 7, 2010
Thanks again.

I downloaded the I337MVLUGOH1 firmware from two different sources and I notice they are very different when I unzip (or un-RAR) the files.

The first is a 1.45GB .zip file. When I unpack it I get a 2.4GB .tar.md5 file. When I look inside the .tar.md5 file, I see .img flies, .bin files, and .img.ext4 files, roughly corresponding to standard android partitions.

The other is a 1.45GB .rar file. When I unpack it, I see four .tar.md5 files (AP_*, BL_*, CP_*, CSC_*), one .pit file.
I understand that these files correspond to Android partitions and the sections of ODIN tool where you would reference them.

What I don't understand is why is the (nominally) same stock firmware package available in these two seemingly (to me) different packaging configurations?

Is the first configuration simply a convenience configuration that allows you to flash stock firmware by referencing only the one single .tar.md5 file in Odin, as opposed to the second configuration which requires you to reference each of AP_*, BL_*, CP_*, CSC_* separately in Odin?

Relative newbie here, trying to learn my way around this.

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
Anyone tested already 3.5.2? I tried on a test device (I9505) and it resulted in no regular boot to system or recovery possible but forcing download mode. Haven't tried further yet.

Retrial

Recognized Contributor
  • Jun 10, 2015
    Athens
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Xiaomi Poco F1
    Anyone tested already 3.5.2? I tried on a test device (I9505) and it resulted in no regular boot to system or recovery possible but forcing download mode. Haven't tried further yet.
    It's working fine for me. (I9505) Make sure you downloaded the right twrp for I9505 variant and check my S4 Unified Collection & Guides for a proper installation.

Reactions: mantlabs and js-xda

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018

It's working fine for me. (I9505) Make sure you downloaded the right twrp for I9505 variant and check my S4 Unified Collection & Guides for a proper installation.

No clue ... second attempt (but other I9505) same procedure without issues.

x2k13

Nov 2, 2015
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    @ripee meanwhile I updated my jfltexx to 18.1 and my klte likewise. klte in combination with twrp-3.5.2_9-0-klte works flawlessly including the ability to decrypt /data on recovery booting/loading.

On jfltexx it still does not work with twrp-3.5.2_9-0-jflte, just the long outdated twrp-3.2.3-0-jflte. Do you have any idea how to get on par with klte's ability to decrypt /data in combination with twrp-3.5.2_9-0-jflte and higher (when released)? It is possible, apparently, otherwise it wouldn't work on klte, right? 😏

If it is too hard to do, maybe you could explain why.

Thank you for the good work so far. 🙂

The error thrown is the one claiming "invalid argument" on trying to mount /data btw.

Last edited:
    Reactions: droi1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      @ripee meanwhile I updated my jfltexx to 18.1 and my klte likewise. klte in combination with twrp-3.5.2_9-0-klte works flawlessly including the ability to decrypt /data on recovery booting/loading.

On jfltexx it still does not work with twrp-3.5.2_9-0-jflte, just the long outdated twrp-3.2.3-0-jflte. Do you have any idea how to get on par with klte's ability to decrypt /data in combination with twrp-3.5.2_9-0-jflte and higher (when released)? It is possible, apparently, otherwise it wouldn't work on klte, right? 😏

If it is too hard to do, maybe you could explain why.

Thank you for the good work so far. 🙂

The error thrown is the one claiming "invalid argument" on trying to mount /data btw.
      I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but I encrypted the phone after upgrading to 18.1. Reboot to 3.5.2 recovery, data can't be mounted.

Replaced 3.5.2 with 3.2.3.0, data can be decrypted and mounted. All following twrp versions fail to decrypt and mount /data, though.
      Yes, that's what I meant.
      Thank you for the new build, but unfortunately this one didn't fix it yet.
      So I will have to import the encryption blobs from stock, like klte and trlte have.
      Ah, I see. Well, if that's the way they do it, it should do the trick. Just out of interest, how did you try to make it work?
      Try this one.
      teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
      * [B][U]Your warranty is now void.[/U][/B]
      * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
      * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
      * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
      * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
      * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Odin
      - Odin3 v3.13.3

Heimdall
      - Glass Echidna

TWRP for Samsung Galaxy S4 (Qualcomm)

How to flash TWRP with Odin
      1. If your phone is turned on normally, turn on Advanced reboot in Developer options and select "Download" from the Restart menu. Alternatively, power it off and press the Power, Volume Down, and Home buttons simultaneously. When the blue screen appears, release all 3 buttons and press Volume Up.
      2. In Odin, import the appropriate twrp.tar file for your variant with the "AP" and press the "Start" button.
      3. Pull the battery as soon as your phone vibrates.
      4. You can then boot directly into TWRP by pressing the Power, Volume Up, and Home buttons simultaneously. Release all three buttons as soon as you see the boot screen ("Samsung Galaxy S4").

How to flash TWRP within a previous version of TWRP
      1. If your phone is turned on normally, turn on Advanced reboot in Developer options and select "Recovery" from the Restart menu. Alternatively, power it off and press the Power, Volume Up, and Home buttons simultaneously. Release all 3 buttons when the boot screen appears ("Samsung Galaxy S4").
      2. In TWRP, tap "Install" then "Install Image".
      3. Navigate in the folder structure to the location of the appropriate twrp.img file for your variant and tap it.
      4. Select the "Recovery" radio button.
      5. Move the slider to the right to flash the TWRP image.
      6. Tap "Reboot System" or, alternatively, tap the back arrow 3 times to return to the main menu, then tap "Reboot" and "Recovery" to reboot into the TWRP image you have just flashed.

Changelog
      - See post #2.

Bugs
      - Screen shutoff doesn't work at all.

Credits
      - ItsOnlyBinary, Szwajowy, and every other open source developer and user who contributes directly or indirectly to the TWRP community in the development of and in providing feedback for the jactivelte and jflte.

Sources
      - jf kernel repository
      - jf repository
      - TWRP repository

XDA:DevDB Information
      TWRP 3.5.2_9-0, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S4

Contributors
      ripee
      ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
      ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information
      Stable
      Current Stable Version: 3.5.2_9-0
      Stable Release Date: 2021-04-06

Created 2018-01-30
      Last Updated 2021-04-15
      Unified build!

Please test the new build linked in the OP. It's compatible with the following variants:

jactivelte, jflteatt, jfltecan, jfltecri, jfltecsp, jflterefreshspr, jfltespr, jfltetfnatt, jfltetfntmo, jfltetmo, jflteusc, jfltevzw, jfltexx, jfltezm, jftddxx
      Reserved

CHANGELOG

3.2.3-0: The official unified build is available from TeamWin!
      * Screen shutoff still doesn't work.
      the screen issues from twrp are fixed but changes are not pushed. i guess @ripee will have to cherrypick the new commits (when they are pushed) and rebuild/release again the build
      Unified jfltex twrp 3.2.1-0!

I have linked my unified jflte twrp build in the OP. Our thanks to JDCTeam for the inspiration and jf-common device tree.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone