[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP for ASUS ROG Phone 3

Search This thread

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Thanks captain_throwback for the great work.

I have some queries - Can we install ota updates from asus by flashing package with twrp? Do we need the full package or is ota package enough?

As .98 ota update is out , wanted to know how to flash with twrp when a downloadable update zip is available.

Thanks
The full package is easier, but it is possible to use the incremental package as well. To use the incremental OTA package to update in TWRP, here's what you'll need:
  • Current software stock boot.img
  • Current software stock recovery.img
  • Current software stock dtbo.img (only in some cases)
  • Incremental OTA zip for current software to new software
  • Latest TWRP image
Here are the steps:
  1. Ensure you have the latest version of TWRP installed. If you don't, follow the instructions in the OP to flash it.
  2. Boot into TWRP.
  3. Use the "Install Image" feature to flash the stock boot and recovery (and dtbo) images.
  4. Flash the incremental OTA zip.
  5. Reboot to bootloader and flash the latest TWRP image.
  6. (Optional) Boot into TWRP and flash Magisk for root.
The key here is making sure the current slot is fully stock (including boot and recovery images) in order for the incremental OTA zip to install successfully.

If you have any questions or have any issues, let me know.

Last edited:

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Just got the link to full .98 zip from zentalk forums , shall flash in twrp and report back.
Link here - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...S_I003_1-ASUS-17.0823.2009.98-1.1.74-user.zip

Update - flashing full zip via twrp succeeded without issues.
For the record, there's no need to flash the update with TWRP - as was previously noted, you can put the full zip on the root of Internal Storage (even while rooted) and it will be detected and can be updated. That's how I just updated.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
But you have to reinstall TWRP and Root afterwards
Yes, but that's trivial, and can be done without even rebooting the device, directly from Magisk Manager.

EDIT: In case you're wondering how, after flashing the full firmware system update (but BEFORE rebooting the device), flash the "TWRP_Flash_to_Opposite_Slot.zip" from the OP in Magisk Manager/EXKM/FKM (assuming you have TWRP currently installed), and then Install Magisk in Magisk Manager using the "Install to Inactive Slot" option.

Last edited:

MR.ROG3

Nov 14, 2020
issue

hi guys , i got problem in the fastboot mode the adb could not find my phone , i already install the usb drivers and it does not work

MR.ROG3

Nov 14, 2020
use the site port

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

use the side port

i already use the side port and i install the driver ( UniversalAdbDriverSetup_20150930.msi )
when I check in devices manger i see my phone under other devices with Yalow mark and its name by android

n6zrZFC

javcarbe

Dec 4, 2009
Booting TWRP...
< waiting for L8AIKN0732728SC >
Sending 'boot.img' (34264 KB) OKAY [ 1.177s]
Booting FAILED (remote: 'unknown comm
and')
fastboot: error: Command failed
Waiting the TWRP boots...
Fix using side port
---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

recovery all the time when i reboot it... first time installing.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Booting TWRP...
< waiting for L8AIKN0732728SC >
Sending 'boot.img' (34264 KB) OKAY [ 1.177s]
Booting FAILED (remote: 'unknown comm
and')
fastboot: error: Command failed
Waiting the TWRP boots...
Fix using side port
---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

recovery all the time when i reboot it... first time installing.
You have to flash it. Fastboot boot isn't an option. That's why the instructions say to flash it. Please follow the instructions and you won't have a problem.

And you have apparently flashed TWRP to the boot partition instead of recovery partition, which is why you're only booting into TWRP. You can fix this by either flashing the stock boot.img for your current software using the "Install Image" feature in TWRP, or simply flashing the latest full firmware zip in TWRP.

P.S. If you're really trying to get help, you should post the entire contents of your Terminal process, including the command you used, so it's easy to find the error. It was only obvious to me because it says that it's sending "boot.img" instead of "recovery.img". I really don't know why people insist on not following the instructions...smh

Last edited:

javcarbe

Dec 4, 2009
You have to flash it. Fastboot boot isn't an option. That's why the instructions say to flash it. Please follow the instructions and you won't have a problem.

And you have apparently flashed TWRP to the boot partition instead of recovery partition, which is why you're only booting into TWRP. You can fix this by either flashing the stock boot.img for your current software using the "Install Image" feature in TWRP, or simply flashing the latest full firmware zip in TWRP.

P.S. If you're really trying to get help, you should post the entire contents of your Terminal process, including the command you used, so it's easy to find the error. It was only obvious to me because it says that it's sending "boot.img" instead of "recovery.img". I really don't know why people insist on not following the instructions...smh

I edit the post the problem was because i didnt use the side port, when i use the side port i flash it with not issues. My new problem come when i tried to install the kernnel :(

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
20201119-01 update

Howdy folks,

It's been a while since I've updated the build here, but I assure you that much work has been going on behind the scenes. With that, here's a link to the latest build. All upstream bugs have been (mostly) fixed.

Change Log:
  • Add tntfs module for NTFS R/W support
  • Add dtbo, vbmeta, & vbmeta_system for image flashing (useful for flashing custom ROMs or returning to stock images for flashing incremental OTA in TWRP)
  • Improve 'super' partition description in back-up menu
  • Multiuser decryption support
  • Fastbootd support
  • Zip Signature verification fixed
  • ADB Sideload support (works but there is no output in TWRP console while flashing)
UPDATE: Quick update to fix errors on Android 11. Yes, this TWRP can flash Android 11 with no issues as well. The only bug on Android 11 is related to decryption. Only default password and Pattern decrypt in TWRP. Password and PIN do not. But considering we haven't even updated TWRP for A11, I'd say that's great!

UPDATE #2: My update had the old sideload code, so it was broken for non-metadata zips. That's what I get for using multiple PCs. Okay, all fixed now. Latest version should be fully working.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Official TWRP is now available!
    Code:
    *** Disclaimer ***

All flashing is done at your own risk!
    While nothing from this thread should break your device,
    don't come back here blaming anyone if it does!
    Introduction
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and
    Images

Prerequisites

Installation instructions
    Fastboot Install Method:
    You will need the platform-tools from the Android SDK on your computer. Find the Android command line tools section on the page linked and install the SDK tools package. From the SDK Manager, download only the platform-tools to get adb and fastboot binaries.

Windows users will need proper drivers installed on their computer. You can try the Naked ADB drivers or the Universal ADB drivers if you don't already have a working driver installed

On your device, go into Settings -> About and find the Build Number and tap on it 7 times to enable developer settings. Press back and go into Developer Options and enable USB debugging. From your computer, open a command prompt and type:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    You should now be in fastboot mode.

Download the correct image file and copy the file into the same folder as your adb and fastboot binaries. Rename the image to twrp.img and type:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery_a twrp.img
    fastboot flash recovery_b twrp.img
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    Alternate Installation Method (requires prior TWRP installation):
    TWRP Image Install method:
    Most devices can be updated quickly and easily within TWRP if you already have version 2.8.4.0 or higher installed. NOTE: This will only flash TWRP to the active slot!

1. Download the latest version of TWRP appropriate for your device/firmware
    2. Reboot to TWRP
    3. Hit Install and tap the "Install Image" button in the lower right
    4. Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
    5. Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash
    Device Changelog
    Current version: 3.5.1_10-0:
    • Initial version
    Older Device-specific versions:

TWRP Official Change Log

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Downloads

Known Issues
    Device-specific
    • N/A
    TWRP Upstream
    • N/A
    Bug Reporting
    If you have an issue, the first step is to post a recovery log so we can determine the cause of the issue. This is done in recovery using Advanced -> Copy Log, or adb pull /tmp/recovery.log. Once a log is uploaded we can determine how best to proceed. NOTE: Posts that are reporting bugs or issues without an accompanying recovery log will be ignored! Additionally, providing details about your device setup, including variant, firmware version, and exact steps to reproduce your issue will also be helpful in diagnosing the problem.
    4rev3d.jpg

If your issue is determined to be a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to contact us via our website. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!
    New TWRP update (3.5.1) is out! See OP change log for details/updates.
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
    1. How do I install an OTA while rooted and keep TWRP/root?
      Full Firmware zip - in Android
      Prerequisites:
      • Full Firmware zip for new software
      • TWRP installed to the current slot
      • Magisk Manager
      Steps:
      1. Put Full Firmware zip on root of internal storage
      2. Reboot the device so that the update is detected
      3. Install the update
      4. After install completes BUT BEFORE REBOOTING, install "TWRP A/B Retention Script" module by @osm0sis in Magisk Manager
      5. Install Magisk "to Inactive Slot (After OTA)" in Magisk Manager
      6. Reboot and you're updated with TWRP and root retained

Full Firmware zip - Through TWRP
      Prerequisites:Steps:
      1. Reboot into TWRP
      2. Navigate to Full Firmware zip and install, or sideload zip over adb
      3. Flash TWRP_Flash_to_Opposite_Slot-CPTBv2.zip to retain TWRP.
      4. (Optional) Reboot into TWRP and flash Magisk for root.

Incremental OTA package - Through TWRP ONLY
      Prerequisites (for stock images, see attachments to this post):
      • Current software stock boot.img
      • Current software stock recovery.img
      • Current software stock dtbo.img (only if modified by Magisk or custom ROM)
      • Incremental OTA zip for current software to new software
      • TWRP_Flash_to_Opposite_Slot-CPTBv2.zip
      • Magisk zip (optional)
      Steps:
      1. Ensure you have the latest version of TWRP installed. If you don't, follow the instructions in the OP to flash it.
      2. Boot into TWRP.
      3. Use the "Install Image" feature to flash the stock boot and recovery (and dtbo) images.
      4. Flash the incremental OTA zip.
      5. Flash TWRP_Flash_to_Opposite_Slot-CPTBv2.zip to retain TWRP.
      6. (Optional) Reboot into TWRP and flash Magisk for root.
      The key here is making sure the current slot is fully stock (including boot and recovery images) in order for the incremental OTA zip to install successfully.

2. What's the deal with these dynamic partitions?
      Here's Google's explanation.

3. Why can't I write to system?
      Dynamic partitions (see link above). See @topjohnwu's detailed explanation here.

4. How do I make modifications to system?
      On the stock ROM, you don't. However, you can modify system "systemlessly" with Magisk.

5. Can I boot the recovery image without flashing it?
      No. Fastboot boot isn't possible on this device, but since there's a separate recovery partition (two in fact), and ASUS provides full stock firmware, this isn't a big concern.

6. What is fastbootd?
      Here's Google's explanation.

7. Can I back up the system/vendor partition separately?
      No. Because dynamic partitions. The Super partition is backed up and restored in its entirety. If you need to flash the individual images, use fastbootd.

8. Why can't I restore X partition (read-only error)?
      Some of the partitions that can be backed up in TWRP include sensitive device data which, if corrupted, backed up, and then restored, can irreparably damage the device. Therefore, while these partitions can be backed up in TWRP, only experienced users should restore them, which can be done manually via the dd command.
      (I will not provide any additional details on this procedure)
    Hello! Does this TWRP install permanently and does it see Data on Rog Phone 3? On HTC U12+ TWRP doesn't see Data..
    A few of things, since you're comparing two completely different devices:
    1. On the HTC U12+, TWRP can decrypt data perfectly fine on stock Oreo, and on newer Android version GSIs. The only thing it can't decrypt is HTC's stock Pie ROM, because they put some non-standard stuff in it.
    2. The HTC U12+ uses Full-Disk Encryption (FDE), not File-Based Encryption (FBE), like most newer devices.
    3. The HTC U12+ doesn't have a recovery partition, so installing TWRP is a completely different experience on that device.
    4. The HTC U12+ doesn't use dynamic partitions (this isn't really related to TWRP; now I'm just showing off)
    That being said, I will now answer your questions (since you felt the need to qualify your question by mentioning an unrelated device, I felt I should at least clarify your inaccuracy):
    1. Does this TWRP install permanently?
      • If you follow the instructions in the OP and read the FAQ, then you would already know the answer to this. Hint: "fastboot boot" only boots TWRP without installing it, but "fastboot flash" installs it permanently, and only one of those is possible on this device.
    2. Does [TWRP] see Data on Rog Phone 3?
      • If it's not listed in the "Known Issues" section of the OP, then it's not an issue.