• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP for ASUS ROG Phone 3

Search This thread

dominoeflux

Mar 9, 2016
Miami
ASUS ROG Phone 3
First I want to thank the person for making this possible, second I was wondering if someone could help me? TWRP is installed on my rog 3, the problem is I'm getting error message 255 and failed to wipe and format when trying to format to decrypt, so basically this TWRP is useless since I can't use it to do anything. I did root the phone using the magisk_patched method before, but had to reflash the stock firmware because the phone was not working correctly, was freezing and rebooting and the sound wasn't working at all period. trying to get this working so I can have a fully functional and rooted device without issues. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You in advance!

Edit: I'll post a log in a little bit... Forgot to do that just Incase.

Last edited:

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
First I want to thank the person for making this possible, second I was wondering if someone could help me? TWRP is installed on my rog 3, the problem is I'm getting error message 255 and failed to wipe and format when trying to format to decrypt, so basically this TWRP is useless since I can't use it to do anything. I did root the phone using the magisk_patched method before, but had to reflash the stock firmware because the phone was not working correctly, was freezing and rebooting and the sound wasn't working at all period. trying to get this working so I can have a fully functional and rooted device without issues. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You in advance!

Edit: I'll post a log in a little bit... Forgot to do that just Incase.
I'm confused by you saying "when trying to format to decrypt". You don't need to format the device for decryption to work.

Reactions: bencozzy

scudzilla

Sep 13, 2005

Are these full firmware updates? Incremental OTA? Raw? Using Android and TWRP methods in FAQ they fail to install. Dunno if I should try incremental OTA method.

Edit: Managed to get it to install. Just needed to update TWRP. But it seems it's Magisk is causing it to be stuck in loading screen.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    *** Disclaimer ***

All flashing is done at your own risk!
    While nothing from this thread should break your device,
    don't come back here blaming anyone if it does!

Introduction
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel!

Images

Prerequisites

Installation instructions
    Fastboot Install Method:
    You will need the platform-tools from the Android SDK on your computer. Find the Android command line tools section on the page linked and install the SDK tools package. From the SDK Manager, download only the platform-tools to get adb and fastboot binaries.

Windows users will need proper drivers installed on their computer. You can try the Naked ADB drivers or the Universal ADB drivers if you don't already have a working driver installed

On your device, go into Settings -> About and find the Build Number and tap on it 7 times to enable developer settings. Press back and go into Developer Options and enable USB debugging. From your computer, open a command prompt and type:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    You should now be in fastboot mode.

Download the correct image file and copy the file into the same folder as your adb and fastboot binaries. Rename the image to twrp.img and type:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery_a twrp.img
    fastboot flash recovery_b twrp.img
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    Alternate Installation Method (requires prior TWRP installation):
    TWRP Image Install method:
    Most devices can be updated quickly and easily within TWRP if you already have version 2.8.4.0 or higher installed. NOTE: This will only flash TWRP to the active slot!

1. Download the latest version of TWRP appropriate for your device/firmware
    2. Reboot to TWRP
    3. Hit Install and tap the "Install Image" button in the lower right
    4. Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
    5. Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash

Device Changelog
    Current version: 3.6.0_11-0:
    Older Device-specific versions:

TWRP Official Change Log

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Downloads

Known Issues
    Device-specific
    • N/A
    TWRP Upstream
    • N/A

Bug Reporting
    If you have an issue, the first step is to post a recovery log so we can determine the cause of the issue. This is done in recovery using Advanced -> Copy Log, or adb pull /tmp/recovery.log. Once a log is uploaded we can determine how best to proceed. NOTE: Posts that are reporting bugs or issues without an accompanying recovery log will be ignored! Additionally, providing details about your device setup, including variant, firmware version, and exact steps to reproduce your issue will also be helpful in diagnosing the problem.
    4rev3d.jpg

If your issue is determined to be a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to contact us via our website. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

Additional Help/Support
    Live support is available on Zulip.
    Official TWRP is now available!
    New TWRP update (3.5.1) is out! See OP change log for details/updates.
    Stock Boot/DTBO/Recovery Images
    Hello! Does this TWRP install permanently and does it see Data on Rog Phone 3? On HTC U12+ TWRP doesn't see Data..
    A few of things, since you're comparing two completely different devices:
    1. On the HTC U12+, TWRP can decrypt data perfectly fine on stock Oreo, and on newer Android version GSIs. The only thing it can't decrypt is HTC's stock Pie ROM, because they put some non-standard stuff in it.
    2. The HTC U12+ uses Full-Disk Encryption (FDE), not File-Based Encryption (FBE), like most newer devices.
    3. The HTC U12+ doesn't have a recovery partition, so installing TWRP is a completely different experience on that device.
    4. The HTC U12+ doesn't use dynamic partitions (this isn't really related to TWRP; now I'm just showing off)
    That being said, I will now answer your questions (since you felt the need to qualify your question by mentioning an unrelated device, I felt I should at least clarify your inaccuracy):
    1. Does this TWRP install permanently?
      • If you follow the instructions in the OP and read the FAQ, then you would already know the answer to this. Hint: "fastboot boot" only boots TWRP without installing it, but "fastboot flash" installs it permanently, and only one of those is possible on this device.
    2. Does [TWRP] see Data on Rog Phone 3?
      • If it's not listed in the "Known Issues" section of the OP, then it's not an issue.