Development [RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP for ASUS ROG Phone 6/6 Pro (Qualcomm ONLY)

Search This thread

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Official TWRP is now available: https://twrp.me/asus/rogphone6.html

IMPORTANT NOTES:
  • This device has a recovery partition (2, in fact), and fastboot boot is disabled in the bootloader. Flashing TWRP to the recovery partition is the only way to use it.
  • If you attempt to fastboot boot the TWRP image, your device may end up unbootable. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
  • Any questions, comments, feedback, or concerns should always be accompanied by logs (recovery log, logcat, dmesg)

TWRP Trees
Common:
https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_asus_sm84xx-common
Device: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_asus_AI2201

Last edited:

fux1976

Jun 22, 2016
ASUS ROG Phone II
It doesn't work! Either flashing or just booting via fastboot gives an error message. Tried to install twrp app...it crashes all the time, couldn't even flash the zip... :(
I also had to reflash the raw because the phone was stuck in bootloader mode.

minazukix

Dec 26, 2017
I can't flash the img either. I'm on tencent version, is it the difference?

Code:
fastboot flash recovery_a twrp.img
Sending 'recovery_a' (102400 KB)                   OKAY [  2.319s]
Writing 'recovery_a'                               FAILED (remote: 'Flashing non-hlos image is not allowed in lock state')
fastboot: error: Command failed

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I can't flash the img either. I'm on tencent version, is it the difference?

Code:
fastboot flash recovery_a twrp.img
Sending 'recovery_a' (102400 KB)                   OKAY [  2.319s]
Writing 'recovery_a'                               FAILED (remote: 'Flashing non-hlos image is not allowed in lock state')
fastboot: error: Command failed
The message seems to indicate that your device bootloader isn't unlocked...

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer

minazukix

Dec 26, 2017
Flashing RAW doesn't require an unlocked bootloader.

I'm just telling you what the message from the bootloader is saying. I don't control that, sorry.
I've already unlocked my phone with the official unlock device app.
I have the boot loader is unlocked warning screen when my phone power on.
Also, I can flash the patched boot.img to get root.
Code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-25200-boot.img
Sending 'boot_a' (98304 KB)                        OKAY [  0.301s]
Writing 'boot_a'                                   OKAY [  0.240s]

I think my bootloader should be unlocked.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I've already unlocked my phone with the official unlock device app.
I have the boot loader is unlocked warning screen when my phone power on.
Also, I can flash the patched boot.img to get root.
Code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-25200-boot.img
Sending 'boot_a' (98304 KB)                        OKAY [  0.301s]
Writing 'boot_a'                                   OKAY [  0.240s]

I think my bootloader should be unlocked.
Then try just
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
without the slot suffix and see if that works. That'll just flash TWRP to the active slot.

tuannghia1985

Jun 5, 2007
Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro
Just read carefully on the page that you've downloaded the twrp.img. I saw a short brief guide on how to flash TWRP recovery as below: (using termux or any terminal on your phone)
1. Copy downloaded file and Place it in the root of your /sdcard folder and rename it to twrp.img.
2. Type following command on termux or any terminal (on your phone).
su

dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/by-name/recovery_a

dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/by-name/recovery_b

Ps_1: it works for me, after failed to flash via fastboot due to locked state. (my phone is rooted with Magisk)
All credit to: Captain_Throwback.
I take no credit at all.

Ps_2: your phone must rooted.

fux1976

Jun 22, 2016
ASUS ROG Phone II
Just read carefully on the page that you've downloaded the twrp.img. I saw a short brief guide on how to flash TWRP recovery as below: (using termux or any terminal on your phone)
1. Copy downloaded file and Place it in the root of your /sdcard folder and rename it to twrp.img.
su

Ps_1: it works for me, after failed to flash via fastboot due to locked state. (my phone is rooted with Magisk)
I take no credit at all.

Hi! It worked, thanks a lot! The only problem is no otg support...which makes flashing a bit a pain in the... Now I'm experimenting. I've had issues with voice typing and Android Auto, so through TWRP I'm trying to fix them.

Reactions: tuannghia1985

tuannghia1985

Jun 5, 2007
Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro
Hi! It worked, thanks a lot! The only problem is no otg support...which makes flashing a bit a pain in the... Now I'm experimenting. I've had issues with voice typing and Android Auto, so through TWRP I'm trying to fix them.
I'm not get any trouble with voice typing by google keyboard, not try Android auto yet? If you got trouble about Device is certified then try MagiskHide props config (magisk module) and using a verified fingerprint (mine is using fingerprint from rog phone 5). Everything is fine even google wallet.

minazukix

Dec 26, 2017
I'm not get any trouble with voice typing by google keyboard, not try Android auto yet? If you got trouble about Device is certified then try MagiskHide props config (magisk module) and using a verified fingerprint (mine is using fingerprint from rog phone 5). Everything is fine even google wallet.
I just flashed the latest raw zip(WW-AI2201-32.2810.2210.220-REL-2210-M2.13.33.24-ASUS_1.1.1-Phone-user-20221109.raw), then everything is working well (e.g. /vendor/factory/COUNTRY is already WW).
I don't use voice typing, Android auto, google pay and fingerprint either, but I just tested the fingerprint features, there is no problems. I pass safetynet and hide root by this Method 2: https://www.droidwin.com/how-to-pass-safetynet-on-rooted-android-12/

fux1976

Jun 22, 2016
ASUS ROG Phone II
Everything is working fine, except these 2 features. Voice typing at first is working but after downloading my configuration (google backup) and my apps, it stops. I can live without it. I've tried several ways: no way of making it work. So I gave up..Maybe with Android 13... as everything was fine on Android 11 on my deceased Rog2. I have Magisk props (safetynet: passed, banking apps ok). But Android auto keeps crashing..Never mind. I have a spare phone to use when I'm driving.

Einheit-101

Jul 4, 2013
So if you try to fastboot Boot the twrp Image you end up with a destroyed device with no return? Or do i misunderstand that? :eek:

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
So if you try to fastboot Boot the twrp Image you end up with a destroyed device with no return? Or do i misunderstand that? :eek:
It says unbootable, not destroyed. RAW should fix it without a problem. It's just a long road to take, including having to wipe the device, for not following a simple instruction.

Reactions: Einheit-101

NoodlesBoy

Sep 23, 2017
Hi guys, I want to flash this but I have 2 quick questions:
1. Can I FOTA after install TWRP ?
2. Do I need to reflash it every FOTA ?

AmeNahar

Feb 4, 2023
It doesn't work! Either flashing or just booting via fastboot gives an error message. Tried to install twrp app...it crashes all the time, couldn't even flash the zip... :(
I also had to reflash the raw because the phone was stuck in bootloader mode.
hi how to reflash raw rom , i cant run flashh aft :( my phone stuck stock recovery help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Official TWRP is now available: https://twrp.me/asus/rogphone6.html

IMPORTANT NOTES:
    • This device has a recovery partition (2, in fact), and fastboot boot is disabled in the bootloader. Flashing TWRP to the recovery partition is the only way to use it.
    • If you attempt to fastboot boot the TWRP image, your device may end up unbootable. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
    • Any questions, comments, feedback, or concerns should always be accompanied by logs (recovery log, logcat, dmesg)

TWRP Trees
    Common:
    https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_asus_sm84xx-common
    Device: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_asus_AI2201
    Yes, it works for me too.
    You can use adb push/pull to transfer files in TWRP.
    I just flashed the latest raw zip(WW-AI2201-32.2810.2210.220-REL-2210-M2.13.33.24-ASUS_1.1.1-Phone-user-20221109.raw), then everything is working well (e.g. /vendor/factory/COUNTRY is already WW).
    I don't use voice typing, Android auto, google pay and fingerprint either, but I just tested the fingerprint features, there is no problems. I pass safetynet and hide root by this Method 2: https://www.droidwin.com/how-to-pass-safetynet-on-rooted-android-12/
    su

I take no credit at all.

It says unbootable, not destroyed. RAW should fix it without a problem. It's just a long road to take, including having to wipe the device, for not following a simple instruction.