[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy A40 [A405FN]

Search This thread

Lada333

Feb 7, 2016
Győr
I kinda feel lost.
I have a A405FN, on Android 10.

Ticked OEM unlocking, went to download mode, unlocked bootloader. Everything worked fine until step 6 - fastboot couldn't find my device (I read in some other thread that Samsung may have done something in an update that broke this), so I flashed TWRP tar to AP in Odin.
I managed to get into TWRP, flash TWRP img to recovery, kernel img to boot, however I'm not sure to which partition do I flash vbmeta.img (is it even possible to do via TWRP?)

And this is where I'm stuck. I can get into TWRP no problem, but it seems like it doesn't have write permission? No matter what ROM I try to flash, it says it succeeded, but then when I try to reboot, I get and error saying "no OS installed."

I also tried creating a .tar with recovery, kernel and vbmeta in it, and flash that to AP in Odin, but it would just get stuck.

Could anybody help me out?

Lada333

Feb 7, 2016
Győr
excuse me, why you're talking about fastboot?
step7 is download mode...

Isn't it the same thing? I've installed custom ROMs and recoveries on a few phones, I figured the terms can be used interchangeably.
I assumed I'd have to use "fastboot flash <filename>," I also saw the line "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img" in another thread.

Either way, how am I supposed to flash those 3 things mentioned @ step 7 then?

Lada333

Feb 7, 2016
Győr
you can change a few files with '7-Zip ZS' into only one .tar and flash it via odin into AP
I did that though? I ran a search in this thread, and based on this reply from OP, I compressed recovery, kernel and vbmeta
into one .tar file, but when I tried to flash it to AP in Odin, the process got stock?

In the log window, it told me that it's installing boot.img, but it was stuck at 0% in Odin, and there was no progress bar on the phone in download mode.

Lada333

Feb 7, 2016
Győr
step 5 'internet connection' is very important.. have you done this?

(you can also do it within step 6)
After unlocking the bootloader, all data was wiped, then I let the phone boot back into Android - I connected to my WiFi (I'm not sure if there was a sim card in the phone (there was, iirc), either way, it had access to the internet via WiFi), didn't log into Google or Samsung Account or anything, I just finished up with the setup wizard, and rebooted after I was greeted with the homescreen.
So yes, I do believe I have done that step properly.

Gliwusss

Oct 13, 2013
Hi!
I was not messing with my phone since 3 years, cause i had mate 20 lite which bootloader cannot be unlocked so im kid in flashing android >5. I have sm-a405fn with newest android 10. I want to root it which is not possible without twrp as i know (method with patching vmbeta by magisk not work for me, magisk can't patch file). I have bootloader unlocked. How can i flash twrp and root my phone step by step?

Update: nevermind, somehow I did it myself. I have installed recovery from this thread, next messed with multidisabler, other DRM disabler and magish, I flashed one by one, when I turn on phone It was stuck,bootloop no even samsung logo. I thought i bricked it. Next i have installed ALT-F4 rom and everything is working. I flashed magisk via twrp and I have root too :)
Screenshot_20210223-014034.jpg

Last edited:

Pawelek94

Mar 5, 2021
Hi everyone!
I have some problem. After doing everythink from post my soft stuck on samsung logo and i dont know why. I was trying 5 times to do that and in the end always system stuck on logo After flashing in twrp multidisabler and click reboot. Maybe i have bad multidisabler? Please help :) SOFT BTK4.

Last edited:

k44mos

Jun 28, 2015
Italy
i have a big problem about twrp on my phone
I have followed this thread
But when i flash twrp (i have uncheck "reboot" on odin of course) i can't get access to the recovery mode, when i do power button + volume up it doesn't do nothing and show this :
https___i-postimg-cc_907fjwgk_booting-warning-jpg.5459

orig_svb_orange-jpg.5460

(I have already unlock my boot loader)
I think its DM VERITY who block the access to recovery mode but i can't disable this, cause i can't get access to twrp :/
Thanks for any answers c:

I have the same problem after installing twrp-3.5.0_9-0-a40.img via Odin.

I also tried other versions but failed.

Any help?

Team Win Recovery Project 3.5.1
View attachment 5254385

Special Notes:
  1. DON'T FORGET TO ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options)
  2. KNOX will be tripped once you flash custom binaries to your phone. Your warranty may be voided. However this may not affect you if your country forces Samsung to provide hardware warranty regardless of software status
  3. Samsung Firmware OTA (aka System Updates) will no longer work once you flash custom binaries. You can flash custom ROMs if you want to keep the OS up-to-date
  4. All apps that use KNOX like Samsung Pay, Secure Folder and maybe more will no longer work
Download:
Changelog:
    • Rebased kernel source to BTB8
    • Rebased kernel source to ATA4
    • MTP has been fixed!! Builds are now splitted into AOSP and Samsung. Choose yours based on the type of ROM you use for MTP to work properly
    • Initial Release
Guide:
  • If you already have a custom recovery installed:
    1. Boot to your custom recovery
    2. Flash the recovery image
  • If you are starting from scratch:
    1. Go to Developer Settings and enable "OEM Unlock" option
    2. Power off the device and boot in download mode
    3. In download mode, you will see the long press and volume up option to unlock the bootloader
    4. Unlock the bootloader. That will wipe your device so be sure you made a backup of your data
    5. After bootloader unlock, boot up the phone and make sure it is connected to the internet or it will trigger rmm prenormal
    6. Setup the phone without google account and others
    7. Reboot in download mode and flash the recovery and vbmeta images
    8. Boot to TWRP
    9. Format data in TWRP
    10. Flash the Multidisabler zip
    11. Now you can reboot
XDA:DevDB Information
Team Win Recovery Project, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy A Series

Contributors
ponces, geiti94, ianmacd
Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_samsung_a40
Kernel Source Code: https://github.com/ponces/android_kernel_samsung_universal7904

Version Information
Stable

Created 2019-12-26
Last Updated 2021-03-19
Hello!How did you flash the twrp recovery and vbmeta software?Are you using ODIN software and Windows PC? With the so called "fastboot mode" there is no way to flash the twrp recovery- no matter if I use Windows PC and terminal (cmd) or if I use Linux and terminal.

alexnonim

May 2, 2021
I flash with Odin the twrp and now I have a error error validating footer (6) on download mode in lopp! Please help

PD: Flahed stock firmware and now working.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, friends
    sorry if this question is already asked before.
    Does this tutorial works for rooting A40 with Android 11 ?
    Or do i need to find some another tutorial. o only need to root. nothing more.
    Please let me know if there is any less complicated method :)
    Thanks

EDIT: I rooted the phone successfully with magisk. :)
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.5.1
    TWRP-Feature-Image-810x298_c.png

Special Notes:
    1. DON'T FORGET TO ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options)
    2. KNOX will be tripped once you flash custom binaries to your phone. Your warranty may be voided. However this may not affect you if your country forces Samsung to provide hardware warranty regardless of software status
    3. Samsung Firmware OTA (aka System Updates) will no longer work once you flash custom binaries. You can flash custom ROMs if you want to keep the OS up-to-date
    4. All apps that use KNOX like Samsung Pay, Secure Folder and maybe more will no longer work
    Download:
    Changelog:
      • Rebased kernel source to BTB8
      • Rebased kernel source to ATA4
      • MTP has been fixed!! Builds are now splitted into AOSP and Samsung. Choose yours based on the type of ROM you use for MTP to work properly
      • Initial Release
    Guide:
    • If you already have a custom recovery installed:
      1. Boot to your custom recovery
      2. Flash the recovery image
    • If you are starting from scratch:
      1. Go to Developer Settings and enable "OEM Unlock" option
      2. Power off the device and boot in download mode
      3. In download mode, you will see the long press and volume up option to unlock the bootloader
      4. Unlock the bootloader. That will wipe your device so be sure you made a backup of your data
      5. After bootloader unlock, boot up the phone and make sure it is connected to the internet or it will trigger rmm prenormal
      6. Setup the phone without google account and others
      7. Reboot in download mode and flash the recovery and vbmeta images
      8. Boot to TWRP
      9. Format data in TWRP
      10. Flash the Multidisabler zip
      11. Now you can reboot
    XDA:DevDB Information
    Team Win Recovery Project, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy A Series

Contributors
    ponces, geiti94, ianmacd
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_samsung_a40
    Kernel Source Code: https://github.com/ponces/android_kernel_samsung_universal7904

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2019-12-26
    Last Updated 2021-03-19
    Good news everyone!
    I finally have a working build with a proper fix!

I was so wrong and this all hapened because Samsung has decided to finally fix in their firmware files the name of the SoC that our devices has. So, due to this, exynos7885 is no longer mentioned but instead it is exynos7904. This name change affected some filenames in the kernel, boot and recovery. One of the examples is the fstab as @tys0n correctly mentioned. The file that exports the ANDROID_ROOT variable was also affected and this was the main problem.

Go grab the new builds in the OP! The Multidisabler zip is also fixed as now we will be using ianmacd's version.
    Just to let you all know that we now have official builds of TWRP !! :D
    I'm really tempted to flash this TWRP and root my A40. Though I know Android 10 has been announced (at least in my region) for April 2020. Should I wait until then? My main concern is, if i flash it now, how easy will it be to upgrade to Android 10 then?
    The only real thing I use root privileges for is to remove bloatware completely and edit the hosts file, so I can wait a few months. Also what about dm-verity? Are there any problems there?

The choice of waiting is only yours.
    In my case I need this as I'm using a custom Treble ROM and not Samsung's firmware.

The ease to upgrade to Android 10 relies only on the your expertise on how to flash the original firmware using ODIN.
    At the time of the upgrade you need to use ODIN to flash an original firmware from Android 9 to be able to fully restore the original behavior and flash Android 10.

As far as I'm concerned, DM-Verity is related with both DT and DTBO partitions and those partitions are not even touched during this process.
    The ones that are changed are BOOT, RECOVERY and VBMETA to disable a few security procedures from Samsung to be able to flash and boot custom binaries.
    Because of this, take in consideration the "Special Notes" section in the first post.

Nevertheless, if the need of changing the hosts file is to block ads, you can reach the same goal by using the "Private DNS" feature introduced in Android 9 as explained here.
    I'm stuck in this mode too! I unlocked the bootloader and then flashed TWRP without reboot in Odin.
    After that, I tried to start the phone in recovery mode but it's stuck in that mode, just rebooting.
    I didn't know that TWRP doesn't support the *3BTC4 firmware. I've downloaded the *3BTB7 firmware, but I can't get the phone in download mode.

What to do? I had to wait 'til the battery ran out, I then tried to enter download mode with volume up but nothing! Volume up + down doesn't do anything either.

usb cable must be connected to PC (not to A40)
    then hold vol up, vol down and power button for 10sec
    when display turns into black you have to be fast:
    leave power button, hold vol up and vol down again
    and put usb cable into your A40
    you must do this in 1-2 seconds!
    that brings you back to download mode

greetings
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android