• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy S8 and S8+ (Snapdragon)

Search This thread

texhno04

Nov 22, 2016
Tokyo
Hi everyone! Can i use it in S8 G950J variant? It's a Japanese model.

HI All,

Please help on this. Even I have Samsung Galaxy S8 SCV36 Japan AU unlocked version. Wondering if this twrp will work for this. This has Snapdragon 835 CPU only.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

I also need this information. Friends please help here..

Yes, running fine on my scv36 (also SC-02J Docomo) Last Nougat firmware Dec. 2017 AQL2.
Flashing this on Oreo will cause bootloop.

shoames

Jul 11, 2012
Csc change works. If you need help with the HK SM-G9550 CSC Carrier Change write me: works with new Firmware from China too...View attachment 4314418View attachment 4314419View attachment 4314420View attachment 4314421View attachment 4314422View attachment 4314423

Cameron.zip and image-new.img used with magisk. All works on HK G9550 and CHC G9550 Firmware
Best part:Samsung Health ect works because knox=0x0

Sent from my SM-G9550 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you able to get VoLTE / VoWIFI?

Formingus

May 23, 2007
Fier
Team Win Recovery Project 3.1.1
Snapdragon ONLY.
In NO way it is compatible with Exynos variants including but not limited to International (F/FD), Korean (N), Exynos LDU (X) variants.
Note that this does NOT unlock your phone. You need to have an unlockable variant such as Chinese or HK to flash.

home.png
backupname.png

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Special Notes:
1. DON'T FORGET TO TURN OFF REACTIVATION (Samsung Account) LOCK.
2. UNLOCK BL BEFORE FLASH.
3. KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone. (Your warranty WILL be voided.)
4. Samsung Pay, Samsung Firmware OTA (System Updates), Secure Folder and other features that require high-level security will NO LONGER once you flashed custom binaries. (You can flash custom ROMs to keep OS up to date.)

Download:
Galaxy S8 (dreamqlte - Snapdragon vaiants)
https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys8qcom.html
Galaxy S8+ (dream2qlte - Snapdragon variants)
https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys8plusqcom.html

Sources:
https://github.com/jesec

Changelog:
Check #2.

Guide:
Check #3.

Official Telegram Group: - General Discussion
Join to get quick support (when you find my guide confusing or meet any unexpected problem).
You can also discuss about ROMs(this group is "neutral" so you can discuss about or review any ROM. Note: Devs: Do NOT aggressively advertise your work.), get latest updates from developers or report possible bugs.
Invite Link

Show your appreciation:
Click Thanks!, Rate 5-star or/and Donate to me. ;)

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for Galaxy S8 and S8+ (Snapdragon), Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
jesec
Source Code: https://github.com/jesec

Version Information

Created 2017-07-14
Last Updated 2018-06-20

I Have G9550 with Qualcomm it will not work either.
I Read that is for SNAPDRAGON but i though maybe someone will help this info

With normal ODIN 3.13 says sha256
With Modifyed ODIN will fail

Regards

Reactions: kjaved373

persin

Oct 1, 2017
I see this is only for the CN version (non American versions). I was thinking is there anyway for me to completely flash my S8+ American version (bootloader, firmware and whatever else there may be) to the Chinese version (if this is not possible and its is not to much trouble for you, could you explain why)?

Thank you very much.

quanqw

Oct 10, 2011
Viet Nam
I had an error with my g9500 hk version. While i boot to twrp, it can not format data. It can not mount data and data storage is 0 mb. It bootloop while i boot to system.

quanqw

Oct 10, 2011
Viet Nam
I tried rooting SM-G9500 dual SIM on its native Hong Kong ROM but had some issues with Factory Reset Protection (FPR) continually popping up and making my life difficult.
After the phone was rooted, the moment I add a single Google account FPR would return and lock my phone the first time I restart it.
VERY annoying.

I tried the China ROM bootloader with the Hong Kong ROM but that didn't work at all.

So after spending WAY too much time trying to root my Galaxy SM-G9500 (Hong Kong Version), here's what finally worked for me:

0. Download the "Open China ROM" and install it on your Galaxy SM-G9500 (snapdragon variant, Hong Kong version)
ROM details:
Country / Region China (Open China)
PDA G9500ZCU2AQK8
Product CodeCHC
CSC G9500CHC2AQK8
Phone G9500ZCU2AQK8

Download it from UPDATO (thanks Cameron)

Use Odin that you'll download a little later in this post & flash the Open China ROM.
After it restarts select "English United States" & allow the install the finish.
There is no "Google Play" on the China ROM so there's no "Factory Reset Protection" to worry about.
Happy days.

Now start with the root procedure as outlined by Jasec.

1. On your phone, open Settings, go to "Cloud and Accounts" -> "Accounts".
2. Select your Samsung account, open menu, remove account. (That will make sure reactivation lock is disabled. Alternatively you can disable reactivation lock without delete your Samsung account. Result should be same. )
3. Download, install and run official unlock tool, CROM service. (I skipped this step as I had done it before during my trials, probably best that you include it)
4. Your phone is unlocked and ready to flash TWRP at this stage. Now you can proceed to part 1.
5. On your phone, open Settings, go to "Cloud and Accounts" -> "Accounts", doubel check that you don;t have any Google accounts.. a GMAIL account also qualifies as Google. Select ALL Google accounts & remove them. just in case.
:)

Part 1 - HOW-TO FLASH TWRP:
1. Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phones Drivers.
- Option 1: Download and Install Smart Switch for PC.
- Option 2: Download and Install standalone driver package.
2. Download and extract Odin (Samsung's Flash Tool) to your computer.
3. Download a .tar image of TWRP.
I installed "twrp-3.1.1-1-dreamqlte.img.tar" seeing as it is now available - just Google it..
4. Reboot your device to download mode.
- Hold [VOLUME DOWN] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] for approx. 15 seconds.
5. Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot.
6. Connect your phone.
7. Hold [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] on your phone and then press start on Odin. (** all at the same time)
8. Wait for the phone to reboot. DO NOT release [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] or you may not reboot into TWRP.

Part 2 - HOW-TO INITIALIZE TWRP: (for new phones)
1. If you completed Part 1 successfully, you should be in TWRP now. At this point, you will reach the screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
2. Select "Keep /system RO". (Don't swipe right or you may not be able to boot into system if you failed to complete next steps. However, you can swipe right to allow modifications if you are confident that you can complete next steps.)
3. Go to "Wipe" menu of TWRP and you will find "Format Data". Press "Format Data" and type "yes" to continue.
4. Go to "Reboot" menu and Press "Recovery" to reboot TWRP.

AT THIS STEP YOU CAN DIRECTLY GO TO PART 3 OF THIS GUIDE IF YOU WANT TO ROOT.

5. Download the latest dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip on your computer.
I used "no-verity-opt-encrypt-3.1.zip" - seems to work well.
6. Transfer the zip to your phone.
7. Go to "Install" menu of TWRP and flash the zip.

TWRP is initialized and fully functional at this stage. Now you can either reboot into system or root, flash custom ROMs, Kernels via TWRP.

Part 3 - HOW-TO ROOT:
1. Download a custom kernel with security features disabled.
- Reference: https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...s8-s8-t3637640
I used "G95X-QCOM-SEMI-STOCK-KERNEL-R1.zip" - again, seems to work well.
1. Download the root package.
- Option 1: Magisk
I used "Magisk-v15.0.zip" - again, seems to do the trick.
2. Transfer the zips to your phone.
3. Flash the kernel.
4. Flash the root package.

reboot.

Now I just need to get Google Play to work on the China (rooted) ROM (that speaks English) and I'm a happy chap.

Thanks to Jasec for the above tutorial & to Cameron for his asisstance.

H.
Can you help me? I have an issue. While i boot to twrp, it cannot mount and wipe data partition. While I boot to system, it bootloop.

---------- Post added at 05:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

Thanks a million.

I have the dual SIM Galaxy S8 SM-G9500 (purchased in Hong Kong couple of weeks ago)

I followed the steps outlined on page 1 of this thread.
Root Checker Pro says I now have root.

To confirm, I also installed Dsploit.
It works 100%.

Thanks guys:

H.
:D

Edit - an hour or so later- after installing all my apps I rebooted.

Now met with a lovely blue screen :

----------------
Custom Binary)boot) Blocked by FRP Lock.

Security Error: This phone has been flashed with unauthorized software & is locked.
Call your mobile operator for additional support.
Please note that repair/return for this issue may have additional cost.
------------------

Looks like I have no choice but to go back to stock ROM?

Assuming it's the fact that I enabled a Google Account that re-enabled FRP.?
Why my g9500 can not do that?

chippinganimal

Nov 22, 2015
Boston
Hey guys, I just sifted through most of this thread and used a few combinations of search terms but didnt see anyone ask this yet: Is it possible to flash a USA galaxy S8/S8+ G950U/G955U to the G9000/G9500 through ODIN? From what Ive found comparing the two models on GSMarena, they use the same CPU and like others said already even have the same LTE bands! Does this sound far-fetched? Or did someone already try it?

gc86

Sep 24, 2013
I followed all steps and I got stuck here:

imgur.com/a/oRLvsVI

Galaxy S8+ SC-03J

Same, tried this on my SCV35 (AU S8+) with Nougat firmware (July 2017 AND Dec 2017) and it won't boot with the kernel.

Strangely, it works fine on my SCV36 (S8).

Bumping this in hopes that there is another kernel I can try with this Japanese S8+. I know Peter KIKI or tomatolei have something...

oscha

Feb 9, 2020
Samsung S8 frp+bootloader unlock

Magisk SU works!! thanks!

Hello.
I have a Samsung S8. Got the latest firmware Flash on it, but only because it's always said that way. But with Android 9, you can't come online to install an apk via Talk Back. I would like to have the frp lock out. But I don't get anywhere in the phone. Can no one tell me if you can flash back? Android 5 would be best because I know a little bit about it.

G950FXXS8DTCB is now on it. The latest German network and branding free.
Android 9

Actually, the bootloader unlock?

percysmith

Aug 7, 2005
Gave TWRP 3.4.0.0 a go. Currently on G9500ZHU1AQG6 after an ill-advised G9500ZHU5DSK2 upgrade went awry (not everything is working, I don’t have a fingerprint scanner).

When I upgraded to G9500ZHU5DSK2 with TWRP 3.3.1.0 I entered into bootloop; reverted to G9500ZHU1AQG6 old TWRP backup with FRP destroyer, DM-verity and Magisk.

Repeated whole G9500ZHU5DSK2 upgrade process on TWRP 3.4.0.0 - still bootlooping.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.1.1
    Snapdragon ONLY.
    In NO way it is compatible with Exynos variants including but not limited to International (F/FD), Korean (N), Exynos LDU (X) variants.
    Note that this does NOT unlock your phone. You need to have an unlockable variant such as Chinese or HK to flash.

home.png
    backupname.png

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Special Notes:
    1. DON'T FORGET TO TURN OFF REACTIVATION (Samsung Account) LOCK.
    2. UNLOCK BL BEFORE FLASH.
    3. KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone. (Your warranty WILL be voided.)
    4. Samsung Pay, Samsung Firmware OTA (System Updates), Secure Folder and other features that require high-level security will NO LONGER once you flashed custom binaries. (You can flash custom ROMs to keep OS up to date.)

Download:
    Galaxy S8 (dreamqlte - Snapdragon vaiants)
    https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys8qcom.html
    Galaxy S8+ (dream2qlte - Snapdragon variants)
    https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys8plusqcom.html

Sources:
    https://github.com/jesec

Changelog:
    Check #2.

Guide:
    Check #3.

Official Telegram Group: - General Discussion
    Join to get quick support (when you find my guide confusing or meet any unexpected problem).
    You can also discuss about ROMs(this group is "neutral" so you can discuss about or review any ROM. Note: Devs: Do NOT aggressively advertise your work.), get latest updates from developers or report possible bugs.
    Invite Link

Show your appreciation:
    Click Thanks!, Rate 5-star or/and Donate to me. ;)

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Galaxy S8 and S8+ (Snapdragon), Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
    jesec
    Source Code: https://github.com/jesec

Version Information

Created 2017-07-14
    Last Updated 2018-06-20
    Guides:

Notice: It may wipe all your data including those in internal storage.

Pre - HOW-TO PREPARE FOR FLASH: (Chinese/HK variants)
    SPECIAL NOTE: These variants do NOT have "OEM Unlock" option and you don't need to enable it. Only reactivation (Samsung Account) lock needs to be disabled.
    1. On your phone, open Settings, go to "Cloud and Accounts" -> "Accounts".
    2. Select your Samsung account, open menu, remove account. (That will make sure reactivation lock is disabled. Alternatively you can disable reactivation lock without delete your Samsung account. Result should be same. )
    3. Download, install and run official unlock tool, CROM service.
    4. Your phone is unlocked and ready to flash TWRP at this stage. Now you can proceed to part 1.

Part 1 - HOW-TO FLASH TWRP:
    1. Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phones Drivers.
    - Option 1: Download and Install Smart Switch for PC.
    - Option 2: Download and Install standalone driver package.
    2. Download and extract Odin (Samsung's Flash Tool) to your computer.
    3. Download a .tar image of TWRP.
    4. Reboot your device to download mode.
    - Hold [VOLUME DOWN] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] for approx. 15 seconds.
    - Read the warning carefully.
    - If you agree, press [VOLUME UP] to get into Download mode. If you don't agree, STOP.
    5. Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot.
    6. Connect your phone.
    7. Hold [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] on your phone and then press start on Odin.
    8. Wait for the phone to reboot. DO NOT release [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] or you may not reboot into TWRP.

Part 2 - HOW-TO INITIALIZE TWRP: (for new phones)
    1. If you completed Part 1 successfully, you should be in TWRP now. At this point, you will reach the screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
    2. Select "Keep /system RO". (Don't swipe right or you may not be able to boot into system if you failed to complete next steps. However, you can swipe right to allow modifications if you are confident that you can complete next steps.)
    3. Go to "Wipe" menu of TWRP and you will find "Format Data". Press "Format Data" and type "yes" to continue.
    4. Go to "Reboot" menu and Press "Recovery" to reboot TWRP.
    AT THIS STEP YOU CAN DIRECTLY GO TO PART 3 OF THIS GUIDE IF YOU WANT TO ROOT.
    5. Download the latest dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip on your computer.
    6. Transfer the zip to your phone.
    - Option 1: MTP: Connect your phone with computer and just copy the zip to internal storage. (similar to how you transfer files when in system.)
    - Option 2: ADB: Connect your phone with computer and run command "adb push /path/to/zip /sdcard/".
    - Option 3: External SD: Copy the zip to an external SD and then insert the card to your phone.
    7. Go to "Install" menu of TWRP and flash the zip.

TWRP is initialized and fully functional at this stage. Now you can either reboot into system or root, flash custom ROMs, Kernels via TWRP.

Part 3 - HOW-TO ROOT:
    Note: Additional security layers implemented by Samsung make it impossible to get root access with a modified stock kernel. Thus, a custom kernel with security features disabled is MANDATORY.
    1. Download a custom kernel with security features disabled.
    - Reference: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/samsung-galaxy-s8--s8-cross-device-development/kernel-jesse-s-kernel-galaxy-s8-s8-t3637640
    1. Download the root package.
    - Option 1: Magisk
    - Option 2: SuperSU (untested)
    2. Transfer the zips to your phone.
    3. Flash the kernel.
    4. Flash the root package.
    Changelog:

July 25:
    1. More additional security functions implemented by Samsung have been disabled. (those functions may lead to potential I/O issues)
    2. A fatal mistake that leads to incompatibility with plus variant has been fixed.

July 15:
    Initial Release
    New builds have been released.
    It addressed several serious issues related to incompatibilities of Samsung's kernel-level security functions by disabling those functions.
    It also came with compatibility fixes for plus variant.
    Just a heads up. This is NOT the 950u. That's what you have listed in GitHub. It's a g9550.

No problem. I added all info form your s8+ data
    It'll work as long as it's dream2qlte