[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy S9 and S9+ (Exynos)

r0nr

Jun 25, 2015
Galaxy S9+ exynos
- Original vodafone firmware (android 10)
- Latest TWRP: twrp-3.4.0-0-star2lte.img.tar
- Latest Magisk: Magisk-v21.1.zip
- Latest no-verity: no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1.zip

1)
Question: What do I need to check below.
If I want to wipe to clean state, what can I check below in order wipe to clean state.
(Assuming I have a full backup ready so I can restore that backup)

[ ] Dalvik / ART Cache
[ ] Cache
[ ] System
[ ] Vendor
[ ] Data
[ ] Internal Storage
[ ] Preload

[ ] Micro SD card (I never wipe this)
[ ] USB OTG (I never wipe this)

In (some) other devices I could not wipe the "system" partition if I wanted to restore a backup which included the system partition.

It would end up in the device getting stuck in the boot animation. (samsung A5, 2016).
The only way to make it work is NOT to check the system partition and restore full backup (overwriting the existing system partition)
then the device would boot.

In other devices (moto g5) I could check all the items and restore a full backup.

2)
Question: What do I need to check below.
If want to restore a full backup are the items below checked correct?
(I backupped system image AND system, just in case. But I am restoring system image only, not system).

Take note of ODM image and ODM, do I need to check them both or is ODM image sufficient?

[v ] Boot (55 MB)
[ v] Recovery (64 MB)
[ v] Cache (0 MB)
[ ] System (4073 MB) <====== not checked, because "system image" is checked
[v ] Vendor (559 MB)
[ v] Data (excl. storage) (0 MB)
[ v] System Image (4400 MB)
[ v] Vendor Image (650 MB)
[ v] ODM Image (646 MB) <===== check this AND "ODM"?
[ v] Baseband (50 MB)
[ v] EFS (2 MB)
[ v] ODM (579 MB) <===== check this AND "ODM image"?

3)
Question: Did I take the correct path?
I have tested the following, which boots the backup

Step 1, Format Data first
(because of error: Failed to mount '/data' (Invalid argument) , when I try to wipe. Doing a Format Data first and then do a wipe seems to work)

Step 2, Wipe
Dalvik / ART Cache , Cache , System , Vendor , Data , Internal Storage , Preload

Step 3, Restore
Boot , Recovery , Cache , Vendor , Data , System Image , Vendor Image , ODM Image , Baseband , EFS
(Did NOT restore ODM only restored ODM Image).

Tarar

Aug 10, 2014
Islamabad
Did anyone try rooting with the latest TWRP 3.5.0_9-1 and One UI 2.5? I have tried disabling encryption with multiple files and no one seems to work. Here's what i have tried
Installed new stock firmware
Flashed TWRP lastest version
Formatted Data and rebooted into the recovery
Installed no-verity-opt-encrypt 6.1 Failed
Installed Disable DM Verity Forced encrypt 11-4-2020 Installed but upon rebooting, phone stuck in loop.
Can anyone help please?

Tom1369

Nov 13, 2019
Munich
Did anyone try rooting with the latest TWRP 3.5.0_9-1 and One UI 2.5? I have tried disabling encryption with multiple files and no one seems to work. Here's what i have tried
Installed no-verity-opt-encrypt 6.1 Failed
I have recently tried to flash "no-verity-opt-encrypt 6.1" with TWRP 3.5.0_9-1 under Android 10 and also failed. Afterwards, I flashed TWRP 3.4.0.0, repeated my attempt with "no-verity-opt-encrypt 6.1" and succeeded. My conclusion is that TWRP 3.5.0_9-* is only suitable for Android firmware <9, while TWRP 3.5.0_10-* (once available) will be suitable for Android firmware 10. In the meantime I stick to TWRP 3.4.0.0. "One UI 2.5" seems to be based on Android 10.

Please also have a look at the release notes of TWRP 3.5.0.

falciatrice10

Feb 19, 2013
TUNIS
Hi guys
I tried to root my galaxy s9+ android 10
I downloaded a firmware from frija and made a clean installation
IMG_20210207_095117_HDR.jpg

I installed twrp
I made a full data wipe, but it givee errors

IMG_20210207_095437_HDR.jpg

I tried to install no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1.zip but got error also

IMG_20210207_102836_HDR.jpg

finally i installed magisk, with no errors
Root checker says that root is ok.
Now my phone reboot many times a day for no reason

Do i need to redo the entire operations ? And how to avoid these errors (i tried 3 times with same result)

Attachments

Tom1369

Nov 13, 2019
Munich
I installed twrp
I made a full data wipe, but it givee errors
The errors referring to the "data" partition are probably due to the fact, that TWRP cannot (yet) read an encrypted data partition under Android 10 firmware. What revision of TWRP did you install?

I tried to install no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1.zip but got error also
This is the error I was referring to in my previous post.

As the frequent booting is concerned, I can only speculate on the reason. Nevertheless, for more experienced members it might be interesting to know, if you are talking about a boot loop or "just" random boot events.

Reactions: falciatrice10

falciatrice10

Feb 19, 2013
TUNIS
The errors referring to the "data" partition are probably due to the fact, that TWRP cannot (yet) read an encrypted data partition under Android 10 firmware. What revision of TWRP did you install?

This is the error I was referring to in my previous post.

As the frequent booting is concerned, I can only speculate on the reason. Nevertheless, for more experienced members it might be interesting to know, if you are talking about a boot loop or "just" random boot events.
1. I flashed TWRP 3.5.0_9-1
it's just a random restart .

Tom1369

Nov 13, 2019
Munich
1. I flashed TWRP 3.5.0_9-1
it's just a random restart .
Have you read the second and fourth paragraph of the TWRP 3.5.0 release notes?
For this release we are breaking down new support for devices based on android trees and device compatibility. For Pie and earlier devices, they will be built out of the android-9.0 branch. For devices that are released with Android Version 10, they will be supported under the android-10 branch.

You will notice a new version scheme. Devices that are built in the android-9 tree will be suffixed with 3.5.0_9. Devices built in the android-10 tree will be suffixed with 10 like 3.5.0_10. Each device tree update will have a final suffix for any updates made for the device like 3.5.0_10-1.
I think you should better use TWRP 3.4.0.0 with your Android 10 phone rather than TWRP 3.5.0_9-1 which is targeting Android <9. I am not an expert, but maybe afterwards your random restarts are gone. Crossing my fingers.

Reactions: falciatrice10

Philipp_

Nov 1, 2013
I installed TWRP over LOS recovery but TWRP now can't decrypt the phone. I put in the right pattern, but it still says "Unable to mount storage".

What can I do? Thanks