[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy S9 and S9+ (Exynos)

Search This thread

apaxtc

Aug 6, 2012
galati
insert image

I found this tutorial on youtube : https://youtu.be/eaiyarH2CoQ

I tested it and.. it works !

So after the first reboot of TWRP, instead of flash dm-verify I installed this : Multi_Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_03.04.2020.zip

This file is provided by the man who make the tutorial, the link are in the video. With this file, everything work perfectly ! No problem to install Magisk 20.4 too

Regards

Multi_Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_03.04.2020.zip is special for S9+ G965F ? I can also use it for G960F ? has anyone tried / works ? thx :)

I'm solved ,
pretty good video tutorial
but I didn't use it file bay user video produced I used no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1 bay Corsicanu file for my fone G960F.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200529-130112.jpg
    Screenshot_20200529-130112.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:

baderlyon

Nov 25, 2013
Hello,
A few days ago I installed the latest TWRP version on my S9 + running Android 10 and then rooted it.
Everything worked fine until today when I tried to make a backup of my system, I discovered a big problem in the TWRP; the backup repeatedly fails!
I also note that it is impossible for me to mount my partition "/ data"!
I have lots of error messages like:
could not mount / data and unable to find crypto footer
failed to mount '/ data' (invalid argument) ...

I tried a solution which consists in repairing and changing the extension of the partition but without success.
Is there anyone who has encountered this problem or who can help me find a solution?
Thank you

Last edited:

apaxtc

Aug 6, 2012
galati
Hello,
A few days ago I installed the latest TWRP version on my S9 + running Android 10 and then rooted it.
Everything worked fine until today when I tried to make a backup of my system, I discovered a big problem in the TWRP; the backup repeatedly fails!
I also note that it is impossible for me to mount my partition "/ data"!
I have lots of error messages like:
could not mount / data and unable to find crypto footer
failed to mount '/ data' (invalid argument) ...

I tried a solution which consists in repairing and changing the extension of the partition but without success.
Is there anyone who has encountered this problem or who can help me find a solution?
Thank you
look here or try https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s9/sam...covery-sky-hawk-recovery-project-2-2-t4097709

sexler

Nov 19, 2015
Hello,

I got a question about TWRP for the S9. Maybe I get something wrong here.

So, I tried the latest version of TWRP and also version 3.2.3.0 which I have currently installed. I am also using LOS 17.1.
I installed TWRP exactly as described on the first page with the zip file (dm-verity and force encryption disabler). After that I installed LOS 17.1 and can reboot into system to complete the first time setup.
After I install a ROM the decryption in TWRP fails and I am unable to mount the storage partition. I read that this is a commonly known error (Samsung encryption). But I am able to use TWRP to install Magisk and enable root on my device. But it is not possible to install other files, for example NanoDroid. I got an error that the data partition cannot be mounted.

Is this because of the failing decryption?
So, I cannot use TWRP to install files that need the data or storage partition to be mounted. Is that correct (ADB sideload doesn't work, too)?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

mrjoy

Aug 24, 2012
The Heaven Of Punjab
Hi. I need emergency help. I'm new on s9+ & flashed twrp as well formatted data partition then flashed no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1 but whenever entered to system then returned to recovery mode then i lost internal storage again again & again. Please help me. I'm on latest android 10 firmware.

geronimoge

Aug 4, 2016
Hi. I need emergency help. I'm new on s9+ & flashed twrp as well formatted data partition then flashed no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1 but whenever entered to system then returned to recovery mode then i lost internal storage again again & again. Please help me. I'm on latest android 10 firmware.
I don't know this problem but would try to start all over again. And I would double check if I have twrp and os for the right device.

sexler

Nov 19, 2015

As far as I understand it this is normal because TWRP is not able to decrypt the storage or data partition on Samsung devices after a system is installed and has encrypted the partitions.

The data partition becomes available again when you format it with TWRP and install the no-verity-opt-encrypt zip-file again. But, of course you’ll lose your data.

poker1234

Jan 19, 2013
Hy 1 question ist this file no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0.zip from post 3 up to date ? or where i find the newest version of that file for the s9+ with android 10 one ui 2.1 ? hope someone can assist me

Reactions: poker1234

elenhil

Mar 15, 2013
Guys, please help: installing no-verity-opt doesn't remove forced encryption on custom OS installation. Is there something I'm missing?

UPD: Apparently, it was an outdated fix. Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_03.04.2020.zip did the trick.

Last edited:

sacharja

Dec 27, 2014
>Enable software encryption support (general AOSP only, Samsung method remain unsupported)
Any plans on implementing this or anything one can support or test? Even limited support for a Magisk patched stock would be awesome, where the add. Samsung checks should be disabled.

(I can only use stock [cannot downgrade BL] and use TWRP just for full backup / restore, with disabled encryption I can not even use any form of screen lock)

Last edited:

kevin#34

Sep 23, 2017
Italy
Samsung Galaxy S10
does this 7-day buffer period applies to all Samsung S9 960F/960F DS, or just to enteprisese devices?
thanks

EDIT

Since Android O, Samsung introduced a new security feature, Remote Mobile Manager (RMM) aka Remote Lock Control (RLC). This feature allows stronger theft protection but unfortunately it also imposes a burden on users like you.
Samsung added a 7-day buffer period for enterprises or device owners to spot a missing/rogue device so they can use this feature to lock the device remotely.
In this 7-day (Prenormal) period, you can NOT flash any custom binaries including but not limited to this TWRP. OEM Unlock option won't appear, either.
(You will meet "custom binary blocked due to remaining installment balance" or "custom binary not allowed" error when you try)
The 7-day timer will start/reset once you completed the setup wizard. After 7 days (168 hours), RLC service will send an inquiry to Samsung's server. If your device is "clean", the RMM state will become "Normal".
Then you can enable "OEM Unlock" option and flash TWRP. Be careful, DO NOT reboot to a stock ROM before you flash patch in part 2 of this guide or you will have to go through another

Whether you have RMM problem or not depends on your model, region and/or carrier.
If you don't have any wait period to enable OEM Unlock option, congratulations but please do NOT mislead other people.
NOT EVERYONE IS AS LUCKY AS YOU.
If you don't have RMM problem when you get the device, it is unlikely that you will get any RMM problems later.
But note that this problem applies to MAJORITY of people.

Note that the special patch will freeze RMM, FRP and OEM lock state.
This is an anti-stupid measure to prevent careless users from enabling security measures which are not compatible with custom binaries.

AudioMiner

Aug 5, 2019
does this 7-day buffer period applies to all Samsung S9 960F/960F DS, or just to enteprisese devices?
thanks

No, if your seriously trying to get your "S9 or S9+" to work with "RMM" in "checking State" and flash TWRP follow my procedure::

VERY FIRST THING THOUGH IS TO MAKE SURE OEM IS ALREADY UNLOCKED OR BOOTLOADER IS "UNLOCKED" very imporant

1. Re-Flash Samsung Stock Firmware to "JUST" on Stock through odin (Download from Samsung Website)
2. Let phone sit for 30 min on after entering OS state
3. Reboot Device, again let phone sit on for 20 more minutes afterwards
4. Check about phone and make sure Developers settings is not showing, but Hidden. "Make sure your Bootloader is Unlocked after checking this through odin mode" very imporant
5. Power back on to TouchWiz OS, Now you want to play with your phone a bit go watch youtube videos or download large files, the whole point is to get Samsungs servers to see your device serial number and push its so called big update to your phone. At this stage you should of seen a toast that says "Device Verified". It quickly dissapears so keep your eyes peeled. Once 500mb of data has passed through you should see sammys big updater wanting you to download.
6. Power off device and then boot into odin mode again
7. Rmm should now say Status "Checking"

You can now flash TWRP and then Format device - Type "YES"

MAKE SURE DEVELOPERS OPTIONS IS NOT SEEN DO NOT OPEN IT THROUGH BUILD NUMBER UNTIL YOUR DEVICE HAS SAT FOR 3 DAYS AFTER FLASHING A CUSTOM OS OR YOULL BUMP THE LINE AND IM NOT SURE IF REBOOTS START UP OR SLOW PROCESSING

Hope this helps

Reactions: Boombastical

sacharja

Dec 27, 2014
>Last Updated 2018-08-15
Seems this is dead here

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

>Last Updated 2018-08-15
Seems this is dead here

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project
    Exynos variants such as International (F), International Dual(Hybrid)-SIM (F/DS), Korean (N) ONLY.
    In NO way it is compatible with Snapdragon variants including but not limited to American(U/U1/A/T/P/V), Chinese(0/8/6), Hong Kong(0), Japanese(SC-*), Canadian(W) variants.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

home.png
    backupname.png

Special Notes:
    1. READ THE GUIDE.
    2. KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone.
    (Your warranty may be voided. However, this may not affect you if your country, European Union, for example, forces Samsung to provide hardware warranty regardless of software status.)
    More Infos: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_the_Android_operating_system
    3. Samsung Firmware OTA (aka System Updates) will no longer work once you flashed custom binaries.
    (You can flash custom ROMs if you want to keep the OS up-to-date.)
    4. It is HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED to purchase any access to any kind of private forums, ROMs or Kernels.
    (DO NOT GET FOOLED.)
    5. You HAVE to use newer version of Odin (>3.13) if you want to flash stock ROMs.

Download:
    Galaxy S9:
    https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys9.html

Galaxy S9+:
    https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys9plus.html

Sources:
    https://github.com/TeamWin

Changelog:
    Check #2.

Guide:
    Check #3.

Official Telegram Group: - Discussion, Testing, Feedback and Support
    Invite Link

Show your appreciation:
    Click Thanks!, Rate 5-star or/and Donate to me. ;)

To contribute:
    TWRP Code Review
    Github pull requests will be ignored.

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Galaxy S9 and S9+, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S9+

Contributors
    jesec
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin

Version Information

Created 2018-03-15
    Last Updated 2018-08-15
    Guides:

Be aware that Android Verified Boot requires data (including those in internal storage) to be cleared after you unlocked bootloader and flash custom binaries. ("to protect user data, all state transitions wipe the data partitions and ask the user for confirmation before data is deleted." - https://source.android.com/security/verifiedboot/verified-boot)
    It is normal to get prompts like "Integrity verification failed. You have to reset the device to factory settings."
    However, this will only happen when there is "state transition" so only when you switch from locked to unlocked or vice versa.

Since Android O, Samsung introduced a new security feature, Remote Mobile Manager (RMM) aka Remote Lock Control (RLC). This feature allows stronger theft protection but unfortunately it also imposes a burden on users like you.
    Samsung added a 7-day buffer period for enterprises or device owners to spot a missing/rogue device so they can use this feature to lock the device remotely.
    In this 7-day (Prenormal) period, you can NOT flash any custom binaries including but not limited to this TWRP. OEM Unlock option won't appear, either.
    (You will meet "custom binary blocked due to remaining installment balance" or "custom binary not allowed" error when you try)
    The 7-day timer will start/reset once you completed the setup wizard. After 7 days (168 hours), RLC service will send an inquiry to Samsung's server. If your device is "clean", the RMM state will become "Normal".
    Then you can enable "OEM Unlock" option and flash TWRP. Be careful, DO NOT reboot to a stock ROM before you flash patch in part 2 of this guide or you will have to go through another

Whether you have RMM problem or not depends on your model, region and/or carrier.
    If you don't have any wait period to enable OEM Unlock option, congratulations but please do NOT mislead other people.
    NOT EVERYONE IS AS LUCKY AS YOU.
    If you don't have RMM problem when you get the device, it is unlikely that you will get any RMM problems later.
    But note that this problem applies to MAJORITY of people.

Note that the special patch will freeze RMM, FRP and OEM lock state.
    This is an anti-stupid measure to prevent careless users from enabling security measures which are not compatible with custom binaries.

Part 1 - HOW-TO FLASH TWRP:
    1. In your ROM, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
    2. Go to Settings, remove all Samsung and Google accounts and if your device is registered to an enterprise, de-register it.
    3. Go to Settings -> Developer options and enable OEM Unlock option.
    Notice: This is "state transition" mentioned eailier.
    NOTE: You will be asked to do a factory reset, that's normal.
    BUT DO NOT LET IT COMPLETE THE WHOLE RESET PROCESS.
    You should take a look at the whole guide and be prepared to use reboots as chances to flash or reboot into TWRP.
    4. Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phones Drivers.
    - Option 1: Download and Install Smart Switch for PC.
    - Option 2: Download and Install standalone driver package.
    5. Download and extract Odin (Samsung's Flash Tool) to your computer.
    6. Download a .tar image of TWRP.
    7. Reboot your device to download mode.
    - Hold [VOLUME DOWN] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] for approx. 15 seconds.
    - Read the warning carefully.
    - If you agree, press [VOLUME UP] to get into Download mode. If you don't agree, STOP.
    8. Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot.
    9. Connect your phone.
    10. Hold [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] on your phone and then press start on Odin.
    11. Wait for the phone to reboot. DO NOT release [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] or you may not reboot into TWRP.

Part 2 - HOW-TO INITIALIZE TWRP:
    1. If you completed Part 1 successfully, you should be in TWRP now. At this point, you will reach the screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
    2. Select "Keep /system RO".
    3. Go to "Wipe" menu of TWRP and you will find "Format Data". Press "Format Data" and type "yes" to continue.
    4. Go to "Reboot" menu and Press "Recovery" to reboot TWRP.
    5. Download the special dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip on your computer.
    6. Transfer the zip to your phone.
    - Option 1: MTP: Connect your phone with computer and just copy the zip to internal storage. (similar to how you transfer files when in system.)
    - Option 2: ADB: Connect your phone with computer and run command "adb push /path/to/zip /sdcard/".
    - Option 3: External SD: Copy the zip to an external SD and then insert the card to your phone.
    7. Go to "Install" menu of TWRP and flash the zip.

TWRP is initialized and fully functional at this stage.

Now you may want to flash a root solution (Magisk, SuperSU, etc) or custom ROM but keep in mind that:
    1. This thread does NOT provide technical support to any root solution or ROM unless the problem is DIRECTLY related to TWRP and there is no other solution without modifying TWRP itself.
    Please contact developer of respective ROM or root solution for technical support.
    2. Samsung implemented security measures such as "Real-time Kernel Protection (RKP)" and "RKP Control Flow Protection". https://www.samsungknox.com/en/blog/real-time-kernel-protection-rkp
    Those security measures are intended to block control flows such as privilege escalation, memory kernel code modification, etc which are not authorized by Samsung.
    If those are not disabled, processes (such as daemon of root solutions) that violated those security rules will fall into deadlock.
    Deadlocked processes will then consume large amount of resources (leads to performance issues, battery drains) and eventually crash the system.
    Technically it is possible to disable those security measures by hex editing stock kernel but just simply flash a custom kernel is better in my opinion.
    TL;DR: Flash custom kernel before root or be screwed.
    Changelog:

Note that this page only includes device-specific changes. For global TWRP changes, go to twrp.me.

Apr 18, 2018 (twrp-3.2.1-2):
    Refactor USB configurations (fixes ADB)
    Remove /cpefs from filesystem table (fixes /cpefs warning/error)
    Rebase Kernel to ARCC. (fixes I/O performance issues)
    Use correct OTG mount path
    Enable software encryption support (general AOSP only, Samsung method remain unsupported)

Mar 16, 2018 (twrp-3.2.1-1):
    Add system_image, vendor_image
    Rename display name of /odm to "Carrier Configs"

Mar 15, 2018:
    USB connection fixes

Mar 14, 2018:
    Initial version
    Changelog - Apr 18, 2018 (twrp-3.2.1-2):

Refactor USB configurations (fixes ADB)
    Remove /cpefs from filesystem table (fixes /cpefs warning/error)
    Rebase Kernel to ARCC. (fixes I/O performance issues)
    Use correct OTG mount path
    Enable software encryption support (general AOSP only, Samsung method remain unsupported)

I recommend everyone to update to this build.
    Note that for some reasons starlte (G960*) build does not show up on twrp website yet.
    Please download the build via this link: http://build.twrp.me/twrp-3.2.1-2-starlte.img.tar
    YOu mean when you boot into download mode it says "OEM Lock OFF"

After I turned OEM unlock on my phone was forced into a restart and a reset and when I go DL mode now I get the same "boot into download mode it says "OEM Lock OFF"" maybe this means OEM unlock is ON now we just cant see the switch anymore.

Is this the case anyone?

(I get fail when trying to flash TWRP however)
    @ jesec - I am writing to try to get past an apparent RMM issue.

I previously had followed your guide and had everything working and was trying out a number of the ROM's On the last one, I had problems with Super SU, and reflashed it and also the original RMM zip. The ROM would not boot, and on trying to get to TWRP, it was gone - along with OEM unlock in dev. options. In download mode, both locks were on, and RMM was Prenormal.

I ended up ODINing stock ROM, and apparently started the 7 day clock, After 7 days, OEM unlock showed up, so unlocked, but that led to its insisting that a factory reset be done, which resulted in RMM back to Prenormal, BUT both the unlocks show off.

I wonder if you can point me to the next step - which right now getting RMM back to normal without messing the locks up again.

In 7 days, will the RMM go back to normal, and if so - should I Odin from there (if the locks are still off), or will I have to risk OEM unlocking in Dev. mode and having it try to force another reset.

Since you appear to be the S9+ RMM expert, I hope you will be able to guide me on this.

If successful, does your new no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0 zip replace the RMM-State_Bypass_Mesa zip and the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0-star zips i had used previously?
    Damn, so I booted to download mode, flashed with Odin, but it wouldn't go into TWRP. It kept coming up with the screen to reset device from hitting the OEM unlock in developer settings. Stupidly I booted up and hastily setup, now flashing in Odin fails, as the OEM unlock is gone again. Im sure I know the answer, but there's nothing I can do now for another week until the OEM unlock appears again is there? No app to find hidden menus or anything to try and find that OEM unlock option is there?
    I am similar situation.

1. Oem unlock switched on in developer.
    2. Twrp Flash IN Odin success. First time.
    3. Didn't manage to install the additional flash for dm verity etc, and rebooted back to stock.
    4. Tried to flash Twrp again. Failed, says can only install official binaries.
    5. Going back to dev options, Oem unlock not visible. However in stock recovery it says Oem lock and Frp both OFF.

does this mean I'm in jail, and have to wait 7 days?
    I am still waiting for 7 days to see I can see "OEM Unlock" in development page. From my understanding, if the option appear and I pick to set it. It will force me confirm to do a factory reset. It will be tedious to do phone setup after that. Hopefully it will not be requirement. Let's see in a few days.

I will take the "reset" hit to be able to install custom rom. Will see.
    My problem that the reset left me with RMM statue Prenormal and OEM unlock setting gone.

So no way to Odin TWRP or flash anything.

Looking for a go around.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Please check the new RMM state section of the guide.
    It is normal for Samsung to force a reset when you toggle OEM Unlock option.
    BUT DO NOT BE TRICKED. You SHOULD NOT complete the whole reset process. (reset, let it reboot, BOOM RMM Prenormal is back and you are in 7-day jail again)
    Every reboot is a chance to flash TWRP or boot into TWRP. DO NOT ALLOW your device to boot into system before you boot into TWRP and flash the patch.
    (Use "VOL-DOWN" + "POWER" + "BIXBY" to boot into download mode, "VOL-UP" + "POWER" + "BIXBY" to boot into TWRP, "VOL-DOWN" + "POWER" to force a reboot)
    Then follow the guide.

I have samsung s9 plus SM G965F
    I think my phone is demo phone.but i dont see any think like that.but main issue i dont see play store app.unable to install it from any source.2nd issue is i dont see screen and security option in my phone.
    3rd when i go to master reset through volume up+power+bixby button.
    Msg shows that MDM doesnot allow to factory reset.

In developers mode OEM option not shown.

And in downloading mode OEM is on frp on

I cant remove my google account .

Please read this thread and help what should i do now?

There are two scenarios:
    1. The device is registered to an enterprise, thus regulated by the policy of that enterprise.
    2. The device is not supposed to be used by you. (demo device or stolen device)

Either way, I can't help you with this problem. Please contact your seller or company for assistance.

same model here, same story, after turning on OEM unlock the first reboot forced a reset, then after some system update a second reset, since then haven't had a reset yet, OEM unlock never went away.

still wondering how to root this phone, I'm really baffled here. also, all the files are named 965F, can I use those to root 965N (256G)? please help!

Yes you can. N has the almost same hardware as F. You should be able to flash any custom ROMs, Kernels, root solutions, etc branded for F on a N device.
    But keep in mind that you still need to use N specific modem/baseband and bootloader so you can't flash stock ROM of F on N.

Is it possible to use full disk encryption based on dm-crypt with TWRP on the S9+ ?

No, encryption is not supported and there is no plan to support it.
    Samsung use proprietary hardware disk encryption methods. There is no way to support that without proper sources.

@jesec
    If you update TWRP and your work, please Edit Thread title with version or day release. More information is better for user.

No. TWRP is not something that needs to be updated regularly. A thread title with recent dates may look great now but soon it will look like outdated as f*.
    TWRP is meant to be stable not "updated Apr 12 with EXCITING XXX".

Is there any work being done to allow the Snapdragon S9 to use TWRP?

The U variant of this device desperatley needs rooting.

The Samsung bloatware is stifling. The hardware on this phone would greatly benefit from an AOSP rom.

I don't have plan to support Snapdragon variant at this moment.