[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP for Galaxy S9 (Exynos)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jesec

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jan 29, 2015
SF Bay Area
Changelog:

Note that this page only includes device-specific changes. For global TWRP changes, go to twrp.me.

Mar 16, 2018 (twrp-3.2.1-1):
Add system_image, vendor_image
Rename display name of /odm to "Carrier Configs"

Mar 15, 2018:
Initial version

Last edited:
Reactions: Win98and95

jesec

Jan 29, 2015
SF Bay Area
Guides:

Be aware that Android Verified Boot requires data (including those in internal storage) to be cleared after you unlocked bootloader and flash custom binaries. ("to protect user data, all state transitions wipe the data partitions and ask the user for confirmation before data is deleted." - https://source.android.com/security/verifiedboot/verified-boot)
It is normal to get prompts like "Integrity verification failed. You have to reset the device to factory settings."
However, this will only happen when there is "state transition" so only when you switch from locked to unlocked or vice versa.

Part 1 - HOW-TO FLASH TWRP:
1. In your ROM, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
2. Go to Settings -> Developer options and enable OEM Unlock option.
Notice: This is "state transition" mentioned eailier.
3. Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phones Drivers.
- Option 1: Download and Install Smart Switch for PC.
- Option 2: Download and Install standalone driver package.
4. Download and extract Odin (Samsung's Flash Tool) to your computer.
5. Download a .tar image of TWRP.
6. Reboot your device to download mode.
- Hold [VOLUME DOWN] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] for approx. 15 seconds.
- Read the warning carefully.
- If you agree, press [VOLUME UP] to get into Download mode. If you don't agree, STOP.
7. Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot.
8. Connect your phone.
9. Hold [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] on your phone and then press start on Odin.
10. Wait for the phone to reboot. DO NOT release [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] or you may not reboot into TWRP.

Part 2 - HOW-TO INITIALIZE TWRP: (for new phones)
1. If you completed Part 1 successfully, you should be in TWRP now. At this point, you will reach the screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
2. Select "Keep /system RO". (Don't swipe right or you may not be able to boot into system if you failed to complete next steps. However, you can swipe right to allow modifications if you are confident that you can complete next steps.)
3. Go to "Wipe" menu of TWRP and you will find "Format Data". Press "Format Data" and type "yes" to continue.
4. Go to "Reboot" menu and Press "Recovery" to reboot TWRP.
5. Download the special dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip on your computer.
6. Transfer the zip to your phone.
- Option 1: MTP: Connect your phone with computer and just copy the zip to internal storage. (similar to how you transfer files when in system.)
- Option 2: ADB: Connect your phone with computer and run command "adb push /path/to/zip /sdcard/".
- Option 3: External SD: Copy the zip to an external SD and then insert the card to your phone.
7. Go to "Install" menu of TWRP and flash the zip.

TWRP is initialized and fully functional at this stage.

Last edited:

Tkkg1994

Jun 10, 2014
Coding City
@jesec if this twrp is becoming the official one I suggest you to include some of my features/fixes as for example img flash to specific partitions, OTG fix and more (also people on the s9+ thread reported that usb wasn't working), check my device tree here.

Have a nice day!

jesec

Jan 29, 2015
SF Bay Area
@jesec if this twrp is becoming the official one I suggest you to include some of my features/fixes as for example img flash to specific partitions, OTG fix and more (also people on the s9+ thread reported that usb wasn't working), check my device tree here.

Have a nice day!

Please follow the contribution and code review process of TWRP if you want to contribute.

I will review the changes.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
After following the instructions exactly in the OP, I flashed SuperSU v2.82-SR5-20171001224502. My S9 is rooted and everything is working great!

Thanks

(NOTE to North Americans: Don't get your hopes up, although I am in Canada, I have the Exynos version SM-G960F)

Last edited:
Reactions: Paradoxxx

Paradoxxx

Aug 14, 2008
Krakow
After following the instructions exactly in the OP, I flashed SuperSU v2.82-SR5-20171001224502. My S9 is rooted and everything is working great!

Thanks

(NOTE to North Americans: Don't get your hopes up, although I am in Canada, I have the Exynos version SM-G960F)
Will we see a kernel of yours ?

I mean after the news that AOSP GSI images are booting, one of the greatest kernel developer coming to S9 would be like the cherry on the top.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
Will we see a kernel of yours ?

I mean after the news that AOSP GSI images are booting, one of the greatest kernel developer coming to S9 would be like the cherry on the top.

Maybe. I got this phone mostly for testing Button Mapper and High Brightness Mode. I couldn't resist trying to build a kernel this morning. It booted after a couple tries, but there was no wifi.

Paradoxxx

Aug 14, 2008
Krakow
Maybe. I got this phone mostly for testing Button Mapper and High Brightness Mode. I couldn't resist trying to build a kernel this morning. It booted after a couple tries, but there was no wifi.

Sounds like a good start to me :)

I'm sure Samsung people, and myself would love some kernel magic.

For both Samsung and AOSP flavors :)

Reactions: covfefe

mwilky

Recognized Developer
Feb 21, 2011
Manchester
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
It is regarding an unpatched fimc , we had this issue on s8

I'm guessing this involves editing a firmware binary?

(Sorry for OT, though it is development related)

Yup, im not sure about which fimc-<name>.bin needed to be patched on s9

Although this wont be a problem if you running gsi

That was for camera issues, the wifi issue is secure storage related.

Normola

May 29, 2010
I've had a few issues with FRP randomly being triggered and not allowing TWRP to boot at all. Still not sure what causes it (might be because I changed my google account password) but I've successfully been able to reflash stock without losing the data partition, so you can re-root without losing anything. Had to remove the USERDATA image from the stock AP tar file to not wipe USERDATA tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guides:

Be aware that Android Verified Boot requires data (including those in internal storage) to be cleared after you unlocked bootloader and flash custom binaries. ("to protect user data, all state transitions wipe the data partitions and ask the user for confirmation before data is deleted." - https://source.android.com/security/verifiedboot/verified-boot)
    It is normal to get prompts like "Integrity verification failed. You have to reset the device to factory settings."
    However, this will only happen when there is "state transition" so only when you switch from locked to unlocked or vice versa.

Part 1 - HOW-TO FLASH TWRP:
    1. In your ROM, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
    2. Go to Settings -> Developer options and enable OEM Unlock option.
    Notice: This is "state transition" mentioned eailier.
    3. Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phones Drivers.
    - Option 1: Download and Install Smart Switch for PC.
    - Option 2: Download and Install standalone driver package.
    4. Download and extract Odin (Samsung's Flash Tool) to your computer.
    5. Download a .tar image of TWRP.
    6. Reboot your device to download mode.
    - Hold [VOLUME DOWN] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] for approx. 15 seconds.
    - Read the warning carefully.
    - If you agree, press [VOLUME UP] to get into Download mode. If you don't agree, STOP.
    7. Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot.
    8. Connect your phone.
    9. Hold [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] on your phone and then press start on Odin.
    10. Wait for the phone to reboot. DO NOT release [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] or you may not reboot into TWRP.

Part 2 - HOW-TO INITIALIZE TWRP: (for new phones)
    1. If you completed Part 1 successfully, you should be in TWRP now. At this point, you will reach the screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
    2. Select "Keep /system RO". (Don't swipe right or you may not be able to boot into system if you failed to complete next steps. However, you can swipe right to allow modifications if you are confident that you can complete next steps.)
    3. Go to "Wipe" menu of TWRP and you will find "Format Data". Press "Format Data" and type "yes" to continue.
    4. Go to "Reboot" menu and Press "Recovery" to reboot TWRP.
    5. Download the special dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip on your computer.
    6. Transfer the zip to your phone.
    - Option 1: MTP: Connect your phone with computer and just copy the zip to internal storage. (similar to how you transfer files when in system.)
    - Option 2: ADB: Connect your phone with computer and run command "adb push /path/to/zip /sdcard/".
    - Option 3: External SD: Copy the zip to an external SD and then insert the card to your phone.
    7. Go to "Install" menu of TWRP and flash the zip.

TWRP is initialized and fully functional at this stage.

Have a nice day!
    Changelog:

Note that this page only includes device-specific changes. For global TWRP changes, go to twrp.me.

Mar 16, 2018 (twrp-3.2.1-1):
    Add system_image, vendor_image
    Rename display name of /odm to "Carrier Configs"

Mar 15, 2018:
    Initial version
    Wow that was fast twrp already.

Nice work Jesec and thank you:thumbup:

Now lets see how long till some dummy asks if it works on the snapdragon lol :p

sent from my Pixel 2 XL or Note FE