[RECOVERY] [OFFICIAL] TWRP for Shield Android TV

Search This thread

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Oh wow, I guess twrp redid their website. Awesome. >< I'll try to rebuild the OP soon and get proper links. That was a copy-paste of the standard twrp OP from like five years ago. Didn't even notice that links had broken. The official builds are still available on twrp.me, but they are for Lineage 15.1 and stock 7.1.x or earlier. Nvidia has done several breaking bootloader and kernel changes over the years, so I can't have one build that fits all. And my official releases here track my official Lineage releases. I don't plan to have an official twrp release that works on stock 8.x.x until Lineage 17.1 gets official foster builds.

As for kernel... That gets a bit fun as I'm sure you're aware if you track the nv-tegra repos. There's 3 kernel source repos and close to 30 dt repos. My forks are on cm-shield: https://gitlab.incom.co/CM-Shield, along with everything else. I dunno why it wouldn't compile for you. I can compile the android release branches completely unmodified in a Lineage 16.0 tree. The one thing that comes to mind is that upstream uses Linaro GCC 6.4.1 and I track that for kernel builds. Nv-tegra has a repo for that too. Though fwiw, my kernel is an l4t baseline with cherry-pick picks from android. Nvidia uses the same kernel baseline for l4t and android. And since l4t still has git history and android doesn't... yeah.

For a full build, I have twrp support in my Lineage trees and build from lineage-16.0. I've recently put together a set of local manifests to have a minimal lineage tree for building twrp. See: https://gitlab.incom.co/CM-Shield/scripts/-/tree/lineage-16.0/manifests/twrp. The scripts repo can be used to generate a twrp image for anything from t114 to t194.

mrhamed

Apr 19, 2014
Thank you for your reply, I saw it but I can't understand what does mean the then it works . . .:
. . .have to 'fastboot boot' the image, then it works . . .
I have unlocked bootloader and fastboot access, so I can run flash command:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img

Did you test it on darcy device ?
Can you confirm it works?

Last edited:

Mogster2K

Jun 25, 2011
Thank you for your reply, I saw it but I can't understand what does mean the then it works . . .:

I have unlocked bootloader and fastboot access, so I can run flash command:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img

Did you test it on darcy device ?
Can you confirm it works?

"fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img" does not work. You should use
"fastboot boot recovery twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img" instead.

mrhamed

Apr 19, 2014
"fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img" does not work. You should use
"fastboot boot recovery twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img" instead.

Thank you for your reply, Does twrp-3.4.0 works properly on NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro 2019 (darcy)?

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
I've asked this question before I believe, but did not get an answer...is there any version of TWRP for Shield Pro 2017 on latest firmware 8.2 that can do backup and restore? I can boot TWRP from bootloader TWRP not installed. But it does not see my usb thumb drive or sdcard as storage for backup. Any help would be great.

GollyJer

Oct 29, 2007
Vancouver, WA
Thank you for your reply, Does twrp-3.4.0 works properly on NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro 2019 (darcy)?

I just tried with darcy. I was able to boot into twrp and install magisk v21. But it goes into a boot-loop after install.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

I just tried with darcy. I was able to boot into twrp and install magisk v21. But it goes into a boot-loop after install.

Just tried the latest Magisk canary build. Still no bootloops. I think we're out of luck for now.

mrhamed

Apr 19, 2014
Thank you for your reply.

What is your rom? nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-2019-pro-8.2.0 or nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-2019-pro-8.2.0-dev_rooted?

Just tried the latest Magisk canary build. Still no bootloops. I think we're out of luck for now.
"Still no bootloops" is good news, right? Did you mean boot-up successfully?

Can you provide latest Magisk canary build link which you installed please?

How did you install TWRP ?
Code:
fastboot [B]flash[/B] recovery twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
or
Code:
fastboot [B]boot[/B] recovery twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img

Last edited:

GollyJer

Oct 29, 2007
Vancouver, WA
Thank you for your reply.

What is your rom? nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-2019-pro-8.2.0 or nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-2019-pro-8.2.0-dev_rooted?

"Still no bootloops" is good news, right? Did you mean boot-up successfully?

Can you provide latest Magisk canary build link which you installed please?

How did you install TWRP ?
Code:
fastboot [B]flash[/B] recovery twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
or
Code:
fastboot [B]boot[/B] recovery twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img

I was getting stuck at the android boot animation (not nvidia). I stumbled on this post and followed Step 4. After doing it once I haven't had to do it again.
Now fully rooted and able to run f.lux! ?

Thanks!

mrhamed

Apr 19, 2014
I was getting stuck at the android boot animation....Now fully rooted and able to run f.lux!

-What is your rom? dev_rooted?
-Did you unplug power cord and reboot successfully untouched?
-Did you issue fastboot -w command to erase user data?
-Did you bypass google login process? If yes, How did it?!

Please answer our questions to help us root our device and have fun like you.

Last edited:

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
Is there any version of TWRP that works on Shield TV pro 2017 Foster? One that can do backup/restore? I'm on 8.2. no version I've tried can see the sdcard or usb drive as storage for the backup/restore. In fact none of the TWRP versions I have tried recognize the usb or sdcard as storage.

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
No one knows answer

Is there any version of TWRP that works on Shield TV pro 2017 Foster? One that can do backup/restore? I'm on 8.2. no version I've tried can see the sdcard or usb drive as storage for the backup/restore. In fact none of the TWRP versions I have tried recognize the usb or sdcard as storage.

Really?? No one knows the answer to this??? I did do a search for an answer if that is the reason no one responded. I don't want to really try much on my shield if I can't make a backup/restore to get me out of trouble.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
After quite a while, I've got some updates about fosters twrp. Someone in the switch scene figured out why usb storage wasn't working and that has now been fixed. I don't know why sd wouldn't work, though. I would have sworn it did. But since I bricked my foster_e_hdd, I can't actually test that anymore...

I'm not going to be posting test or one off builds, though. Last time I did, the mods went off about me violating the gpl (even though I wasn't and even my personal work-in-progress builds are from public sources on cm-shield). But I'm starting the push to update the official twrp builds to these that work on stock 8.x.x and my lineage 16.0 and newer builds. I can't give any solid timeline (welcome to spare time hobbiest work), but I'm hoping to have them released within the month.

re shield 2019 non-pro unlocking: I think it actually can be unlocked without soldering down the usb. I believe the fastboot menu has an option for that. But I'd have to go look again to be certain. But I have soldered down a usb port to mine. You can access fastboot, but that's it. Usb won't come up in recovery or in android. There's an odm bit or something that controls access to that. I know it can work, I've seen it. But I don't know how to trigger such on the consumer devices. Which annoys me to no end.

Reactions: macmandarrell1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Official builds have been updated. 3.5.1_9-0 is built for the latest bootloaders (anything shield experience 7.2.0 or newer should work). And should have working usb storage.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

DOWNLOAD:
    Most devices can be updated quickly and easily within TWRP if you already have version 2.8.4.0 or higher installed
    1) Download the latest version from our website on your device
    2) Reboot to TWRP
    3) Hit Install and tap the "Images..." button in the lower right
    4) Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
    5) Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash
    OR:
    You can find more information and download links on our website.
    Direct device link

BUGS:
    If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.
    So we *finally* got kernel source (but not vendor prebuilts, go figure... ><). Spent a while tonight getting stuff together and have an experimental build working on the newer bootloader. Do note that I've only tested this on foster_e_hdd, but it should work on all variants that actually got the newer bootloader. Namely foster_e, foster_e_hdd, and darcy. I haven't even got the new bootloader to boot on the Jetson TX1, unfortunately. As normal, since this is an experimental build, use at your own risk, report problems, blah blah.

twrp-20190201-foster-experimental.img
    Can you please detail your workaround method to use magisk?

Thanks

1) download the developer/stock OS from nvidia
    2) unpack .zip and find boot.img
    3) use the NSTV or another android device and install the magisk manager app
    4) in the app: click install
    5) in the app: choose patch boot.img
    6) in the app: remember the outpot path from the terminal log to the patched_boot.img
    7) boot to recovery (TWRP) and install/flash the patched_boot.img to boot partition
    I also have a working configuration, run into a loop again but so tried some extra steps 2q trough 2w. Also I had registered for the hotfix and installed that, after that I had to do some extra steps to get root back again. After that I was fully able to use root with all it's magic. And disabling Dolby processing solved the glitchy Netflix, which doesn't matter since you don't lose Dolby sound anyway.

Thank you @elliwigy for all your guiding in this process and @rootfan for the magisk version, now I have root and the wife still has Netflix, look like a win-win to me.

Below are the steps I used based on your guide for the Shield 2019 PRO

1) Reboot to bootloader to start fresh...(you will need a keyboard)
    a) fastboot oem unlock and confirm by pressing A
    b) fastboot flash staging blob
    c) fastboot flash boot boot.img
    d) fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    e) fastboot flash system system.img
    f) fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
    g) fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
    h) fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
    i) fastboot -w
    j) fastboot reboot bootloader

2) Now we will boot to twrp and install magisk...
    a) fastboot boot twrp.img (you will need a mouse for this)
    b) select mount and mount everything it lets you (usually data, system_root, vendor, cache)
    c) adb remount all
    d) adb shell
    e) rm /system (removes symlinked folder)
    f) mkdir /system
    g) mount -o bind /system_root/system /system
    h) exit
    i) adb push magisk-debug.zip /data/media
    j) In twrp press install and navigate to magisk zip and flash it
    k) adb reboot bootloader
    l) fastboot -w
    m) fastboot reboot bootloader
    n) fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
    o) fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
    p) fastboot reboot

------------------------------------------
    q) let it reboot a couple of times, after Nvidia blinks and then reboots).
    r) start shield with A+B pressed to get in fastboot
    s) in fastboot menu select reset factory default.
    t) fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
    u) fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
    v) fastboot reboot
    w) let it reboot a couple of time
    --------------------------------------------

3) Device eventually loads.. when it does follow these steps
    a) Enable usb debugging
    b) make sure its authorized and connected
    c) adb install -g magisk.apk
    d) adb shell
    e) su (grant root to shell when it pops up)
    f) mount -o rw,remount /
    g) Go to apps (trough settings), show all apps, start/open magisk manager
    h) When it pops up telling you it needs to install stuff select ok and install it.. device will reboot in 5 seconds...

4) When device tries to boot you should now be stuck at the android boot ani (NOT the nvidia logo).. then follow these steps..
    a) adb shell
    b) su
    c) resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate orange
    d) after device boots run: resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate green

5) If you have registerd for the hotfix (32.7.301.43) then you can start the upgrade now. The device will reboot and starts the upgrade, after that you lost root again.
    a) adb reboot bootloader
    b) fastboot boot twrp.img (you will need a mouse for this)
    c) select mount and mount everything it lets you (usually data, system_root, vendor, cache)
    d) adb remount all
    e) adb shell
    f) rm /system (removes symlinked folder)
    g) mkdir /system
    h) mount -o bind /system_root/system /system
    i) exit
    j) adb push magisk-debug.zip /data/media
    k) In twrp press install and navigate to magisk zip and flash it
    l) adb reboot bootloader
    m) fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
    n) fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
    o) fastboot reboot
    p) When device tries to boot you should now be stuck at the android boot ani (NOT the nvidia logo).. then follow these steps..
    q) adb shell
    r) su
    s) resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate orange
    t) after device boots run: resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate green

For others, we used to images mentioned in this post.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv-pro/help/nvidia-shield-2019-pro-developer-images-t4012147

All file from nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-pro-2019-8.1.0.zip expect vbmeta_skip.img that is from nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-pro-2019-8.1.0-dev-rooted.zip

Experimental TWRP is from https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80769929&postcount=312

Magisk is from https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=81067077&postcount=352

All the credits are for @elliwigy and @rootfan
    I'll try to make it more clear lol...

1) Reboot to bootloader to start fresh...
    a) fastboot flash staging blob
    b) fastboot flash boot boot.img
    c) fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    d) fastboot flash system system.img
    e) fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
    f) fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
    g) fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
    h) fastboot -w
    i) fastboot reboot bootloader

2) Now we will boot to twrp and install magisk...
    a) fastboot boot twrp.img
    b) select mount and mount everything it lets you (usually data, system_root, vendor, cache)
    c) adb remount all
    d) adb shell
    e) rm /system (removes symlinked folder)
    f) mkdir /system
    f) mount -o bind /system_root/system /system
    g) exit
    h) adb push magisk-debug.zip /data/media
    i) In twrp press install and navigate to magisk zip and flash it
    j) adb reboot bootloader
    k) fastboot -w
    l) fastboot reboot bootloader
    m) fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
    n) fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
    o) fastboot reboot

3) Device might reboot a few times but eventually loads.. when it does follow these steps
    a) Enable usb debugging
    b) make sure its authorized and connected
    c) adb install -g magisk.apk
    d) adb shell
    e) su (grant root to shell when it pops up)
    f) mount -o rw,remount /
    g) Open magisk.apk on the device
    h) When it pops up telling you it needs to install stuff select ok and install it.. device will reboot in 5 seconds...

4) When device tries to boot you should now be stuck at the android boot ani (NOT the nvidia logo).. then follow these steps..
    a) adb shell
    b) su
    c) resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate orange
    d) after device boots run: resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate green

After all this, you should be good to go finally lol.. it seems like a lot but its not really.. then eventually we will get proper stuff goin..

let me kno if these steps dont work.. b sure to follow to the T.. once to this point u only need to set bootstate to orange for it to boot all the way then u can set back to green.. i tried havin a script set to orange n works but so far havent found a way to set orange then after loads back to green automatically yet.. im sure theres a simple script with a pause or somethin that can be used tho
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone