• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY] [OFFICIAL] TWRP for Shield Android TV

Search This thread

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
I just tested usb storage with fat32 and ext4, both work as expected. I would note that exfat probably will not work. Nvidia does not license that and thus the kernel does not have the driver.

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
I just tested usb storage with fat32 and ext4, both work as expected. I would note that exfat probably will not work. Nvidia does not license that and thus the kernel does not have the driver.
odd...should I try to reformat the USB storage. It was already formatted as fat32. But in TWRP it does not show up as storage. Neither does the sdcard. Also, does it matter which usb port the usb storage is plugged into? Thanks again for the response

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Did some magic resurrection stuff (that somehow actually worked...) on my foster_e_hdd and got it booting again. Popped in a ext4 formatted sd card and it automounted on boot.

I can't pretend to know what's up with your card and drive. Maybe on a desktop or laptop, check what partition type is used. I've got an old flash drive that has one partition and is formatted fat32. And a sdcard with one partition and is formatted ext4. Both work for me. So yeah, if you don't have anything important on the drives, reformat them. And iiuc, windows doesn't want to let any external storage be formatted with anything other than exfat these days. Though, I don't use windows, so I can't check that myself.

On foster_e and foster_e_hdd (the 2015 models), the usb port does not matter. On darcy (the 2017 model) and mdarcy (the 2019 model), it does matter. One of the host ports gets put in client mode for use with adb.

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
Did some magic resurrection stuff (that somehow actually worked...) on my foster_e_hdd and got it booting again. Popped in a ext4 formatted sd card and it automounted on boot.

I can't pretend to know what's up with your card and drive. Maybe on a desktop or laptop, check what partition type is used. I've got an old flash drive that has one partition and is formatted fat32. And a sdcard with one partition and is formatted ext4. Both work for me. So yeah, if you don't have anything important on the drives, reformat them. And iiuc, windows doesn't want to let any external storage be formatted with anything other than exfat these days. Though, I don't use windows, so I can't check that myself.

On foster_e and foster_e_hdd (the 2015 models), the usb port does not matter. On darcy (the 2017 model) and mdarcy (the 2019 model), it does matter. One of the host ports gets put in client mode for use with adb.
Yeah checked the usb drive format it's fat32. Tried a different usb thumb drive and formated fat32. Same thing. Not showing up as storage in TWRP. Tried both drives in both USB ports on shield and still not showing as storage in TWRP. the SD card in the shield has been attached almost since I got the 2017 shield pro and it isn't seen in TWRP either. Just want to get back to making TWRP backups so I can tinker with shield a little more...lol

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Fwiw, there really is no '2017 shield pro'. The 500 gb sata model from 2015 was re-released as is in 2017, just bundled with the newer controller. Nvidia's marketing made that rather confusing. The emmc model in 2017 was actually new hardware. And now the new 'pro' model is on par with the previous standard model...

But hang on. When you say the sd has been 'attached', are you using it as adopted storage? That is a case I haven't done any testing of.

For the usb, I really have no idea. I'm testing with 3.5.1_9-0. The sha256 sum as posted on twrp.me and verified for my copy is:
583f4ec3e679c647d71125712009918c0bed9efe184eaff185971e0baed4a60b twrp-3.5.1_9-0-foster.img
I'm pretty much out of ideas, so just verifying all the things. I can go to 'mount', poke usb and my fat32 drive mounts just fine.

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
Fwiw, there really is no '2017 shield pro'. The 500 gb sata model from 2015 was re-released as is in 2017, just bundled with the newer controller. Nvidia's marketing made that rather confusing. The emmc model in 2017 was actually new hardware. And now the new 'pro' model is on par with the previous standard model...

But hang on. When you say the sd has been 'attached', are you using it as adopted storage? That is a case I haven't done any testing of.

For the usb, I really have no idea. I'm testing with 3.5.1_9-0. The sha256 sum as posted on twrp.me and verified for my copy is:

583f4ec3e679c647d71125712009918c0bed9efe184eaff185971e0baed4a60b twrp-3.5.1_9-0-foster.img
I'm pretty much out of ideas, so just verifying all the things. I can go to 'mount', poke usb and my fat32 drive mounts just fine.

Yeah the sd is just used for storage of mostly Backups and such...not used as adopted storage since there is the 500 gig drive in the shield. I have replaced internal shield drive with a 500 gig ssd. Not sure that should make a difference tho. I will check the TWRP version I downloaded just to rule that out. May try another USB. TWRP used to work flawlessly for backup and restore. I'll have to keep digging to see what's going on. Thanks again for the help.

I also have a working configuration, run into a loop again but so tried some extra steps 2q trough 2w. Also I had registered for the hotfix and installed that, after that I had to do some extra steps to get root back again. After that I was fully able to use root with all it's magic. And disabling Dolby processing solved the glitchy Netflix, which doesn't matter since you don't lose Dolby sound anyway.

Thank you @elliwigy for all your guiding in this process and @rootfan for the magisk version, now I have root and the wife still has Netflix, look like a win-win to me.

Below are the steps I used based on your guide for the Shield 2019 PRO

1) Reboot to bootloader to start fresh...(you will need a keyboard)
a) fastboot oem unlock and confirm by pressing A
b) fastboot flash staging blob
c) fastboot flash boot boot.img
d) fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
e) fastboot flash system system.img
f) fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
g) fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
h) fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
i) fastboot -w
j) fastboot reboot bootloader

2) Now we will boot to twrp and install magisk...
a) fastboot boot twrp.img (you will need a mouse for this)
b) select mount and mount everything it lets you (usually data, system_root, vendor, cache)
c) adb remount all
d) adb shell
e) rm /system (removes symlinked folder)
f) mkdir /system
g) mount -o bind /system_root/system /system
h) exit
i) adb push magisk-debug.zip /data/media
j) In twrp press install and navigate to magisk zip and flash it
k) adb reboot bootloader
l) fastboot -w
m) fastboot reboot bootloader
n) fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
o) fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
p) fastboot reboot

------------------------------------------
q) let it reboot a couple of times, after Nvidia blinks and then reboots).
r) start shield with A+B pressed to get in fastboot
s) in fastboot menu select reset factory default.
t) fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
u) fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
v) fastboot reboot
w) let it reboot a couple of time
--------------------------------------------

3) Device eventually loads.. when it does follow these steps
a) Enable usb debugging
b) make sure its authorized and connected
c) adb install -g magisk.apk
d) adb shell
e) su (grant root to shell when it pops up)
f) mount -o rw,remount /
g) Go to apps (trough settings), show all apps, start/open magisk manager
h) When it pops up telling you it needs to install stuff select ok and install it.. device will reboot in 5 seconds...

4) When device tries to boot you should now be stuck at the android boot ani (NOT the nvidia logo).. then follow these steps..
a) adb shell
b) su
c) resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate orange
d) after device boots run: resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate green

5) If you have registerd for the hotfix (32.7.301.43) then you can start the upgrade now. The device will reboot and starts the upgrade, after that you lost root again.
a) adb reboot bootloader
b) fastboot boot twrp.img (you will need a mouse for this)
c) select mount and mount everything it lets you (usually data, system_root, vendor, cache)
d) adb remount all
e) adb shell
f) rm /system (removes symlinked folder)
g) mkdir /system
h) mount -o bind /system_root/system /system
i) exit
j) adb push magisk-debug.zip /data/media
k) In twrp press install and navigate to magisk zip and flash it
l) adb reboot bootloader
m) fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
n) fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
o) fastboot reboot
p) When device tries to boot you should now be stuck at the android boot ani (NOT the nvidia logo).. then follow these steps..
q) adb shell
r) su
s) resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate orange
t) after device boots run: resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate green

For others, we used to images mentioned in this post.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv-pro/help/nvidia-shield-2019-pro-developer-images-t4012147

All file from nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-pro-2019-8.1.0.zip expect vbmeta_skip.img that is from nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-pro-2019-8.1.0-dev-rooted.zip

Experimental TWRP is from https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80769929&postcount=312

Magisk is from https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=81067077&postcount=352

All the credits are for @elliwigy and @rootfan
Thank you so much for this detailed guide today was my first attempt at rooting anything so i thought i'd give it a go on my Shield 2019 pro and hey presto, your guide was down to the tee on detail so great work on that. I Also thought id push my luck and try your method on 8.2.2 and to my disbelief it worked so i just thought id give some of people that were unaware of this the heads up.

i used this image -
NVIDIA SHIELD ANDROID TV 2019 Pro Recovery OS Image 8.2.2
with the vbmeta_skip.img file from - nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-pro-2019-8.1.0-dev-rooted.zip
and used "fastboot BOOT" method with this version of- twrp-3.5.1_9-0-20210320-UNOFFICIAL-mdarcy-avb2.img
and installed magisk 22 through twrp as a custom recovery option and followed everything else by the guide given

anyway i hope this helps some people as it did me.

1 last question as i am a first time rooter here. i read, and saw for myself that an unlocked bootloader limits some features on the shield. then read that if you lock it again you get those features back, anyway if i locked the bootloader after rooting would i lose the root? or is it possible to lock the bootloader with root still intact.
Thanks In Advance

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Don't use any twrp builds off afh anymore. Am I going to have to delete those to get people to use the official release now? ><

That one labelled mdarcy-avb2 was never linked anywhere except as part of a bug report to Nvidia bootloader engineers. It's not meant to actually be used anywhere...

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
The OP has been updated with separate links for foster (2015/2017 models) and mdarcy (2019 models). The issue causing mdarcy and sif to fail to boot recovery when flashed has been fixed, but it unfortunately required splitting the builds away from foster. Official builds have been run and are now available.

Hitti2

Hitti2

Screenshot_20210610-151702_Chrome.png

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
Still can't get TWRP to recognize a usb thumb or sdcard. Tried formatting ext4 fat32 exfat for both usb and sdcard but neither is seen by TWRP. I am booting TWRP from fastboot not installing it. Might this be why no external device is seen in the recovery? Tried different usb and sdcard but no luck.

Neuken6969

Sep 25, 2018
I also have a working configuration, run into a loop again but so tried some extra steps 2q trough 2w. Also I had registered for the hotfix and installed that, after that I had to do some extra steps to get root back again. After that I was fully able to use root with all it's magic. And disabling Dolby processing solved the glitchy Netflix, which doesn't matter since you don't lose Dolby sound anyway.

Thank you @elliwigy for all your guiding in this process and @rootfan for the magisk version, now I have root and the wife still has Netflix, look like a win-win to me.

i) fastboot -w

b) select mount and mount everything it lets you (usually data, system_root, vendor, cache)
c) adb remount all
d) adb shell
f) mkdir /system
h) exit
k) adb reboot bootloader
l) fastboot -w
p) fastboot reboot

v) fastboot reboot

a) Enable usb debugging
d) adb shell
f) mount -o rw,remount /
h) When it pops up telling you it needs to install stuff select ok and install it.. device will reboot in 5 seconds...

4) When device tries to boot you should now be stuck at the android boot ani (NOT the nvidia logo).. then follow these steps..
a) adb shell
b) su

5) If you have registerd for the hotfix (32.7.301.43) then you can start the upgrade now. The device will reboot and starts the upgrade, after that you lost root again.
a) adb reboot bootloader
c) select mount and mount everything it lets you (usually data, system_root, vendor, cache)
d) adb remount all
e) adb shell
g) mkdir /system
i) exit
l) adb reboot bootloader
o) fastboot reboot
p) When device tries to boot you should now be stuck at the android boot ani (NOT the nvidia logo).. then follow these steps..
q) adb shell
r) su

https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv-pro/help/nvidia-shield-2019-pro-developer-images-t4012147

All file from nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-pro-2019-8.1.0.zip expect vbmeta_skip.img that is from nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-pro-2019-8.1.0-dev-rooted.zip

Experimental TWRP is from https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80769929&postcount=312

Magisk is from https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=81067077&postcount=352

I do not have an A+B buttons on my remote. I am not even sure what device I have. Shield tv (tube) 8gb. I want root but am currently lost where to go.

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Dev / Dev Relations
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
I do not have an A+B buttons on my remote. I am not even sure what device I have. Shield tv (tube) 8gb. I want root but am currently lost where to go.
i dont think a method exists for the 2019 nstv (tube) since theres no way to plug in a usb to pc without hardware modifications..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi, I rooted the NVS Pro 2019. I used image 8.2.2 and vbmeta_skip from 8.1.0.
    Worked fine, Magsikhide showed up under settings and it passed the safetynet test.

However, I let it upgrade to 8.2.3 and now there is no more Magiskhide under settings and it's not passing the safetynet test.

What can I do? thank you!!
    I believe this is why
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

DOWNLOAD:
    Most devices can be updated quickly and easily within TWRP if you already have version 2.8.4.0 or higher installed
    1) Download the latest version from our website on your device
    2) Reboot to TWRP
    3) Hit Install and tap the "Images..." button in the lower right
    4) Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
    5) Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash
    OR:
    You can find more information and download links on our website.
    SHIELD Android TV 2015/2017 direct link
    SHIELD Android TV 2019 direct link

BUGS:
    If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.
    So we *finally* got kernel source (but not vendor prebuilts, go figure... ><). Spent a while tonight getting stuff together and have an experimental build working on the newer bootloader. Do note that I've only tested this on foster_e_hdd, but it should work on all variants that actually got the newer bootloader. Namely foster_e, foster_e_hdd, and darcy. I haven't even got the new bootloader to boot on the Jetson TX1, unfortunately. As normal, since this is an experimental build, use at your own risk, report problems, blah blah.

twrp-20190201-foster-experimental.img
    I'll try to make it more clear lol...

1) Reboot to bootloader to start fresh...
    a) fastboot flash staging blob
    b) fastboot flash boot boot.img
    c) fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    d) fastboot flash system system.img
    e) fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
    f) fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
    g) fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
    h) fastboot -w
    i) fastboot reboot bootloader

a) fastboot boot twrp.img
    c) adb remount all
    d) adb shell
    f) mkdir /system
    f) mount -o bind /system_root/system /system
    g) exit
    h) adb push magisk-debug.zip /data/media
    i) In twrp press install and navigate to magisk zip and flash it
    j) adb reboot bootloader
    k) fastboot -w
    l) fastboot reboot bootloader
    o) fastboot reboot

3) Device might reboot a few times but eventually loads.. when it does follow these steps
    a) Enable usb debugging
    d) adb shell
    f) mount -o rw,remount /
    g) Open magisk.apk on the device

a) adb shell
    b) su

After all this, you should be good to go finally lol.. it seems like a lot but its not really.. then eventually we will get proper stuff goin..

let me kno if these steps dont work.. b sure to follow to the T.. once to this point u only need to set bootstate to orange for it to boot all the way then u can set back to green.. i tried havin a script set to orange n works but so far havent found a way to set orange then after loads back to green automatically yet.. im sure theres a simple script with a pause or somethin that can be used tho
    Can you please detail your workaround method to use magisk?

Thanks

1) download the developer/stock OS from nvidia
    2) unpack .zip and find boot.img
    3) use the NSTV or another android device and install the magisk manager app
    4) in the app: click install
    5) in the app: choose patch boot.img
    6) in the app: remember the outpot path from the terminal log to the patched_boot.img
    7) boot to recovery (TWRP) and install/flash the patched_boot.img to boot partition

i) fastboot -w

c) adb remount all
    d) adb shell
    f) mkdir /system
    h) exit
    k) adb reboot bootloader
    l) fastboot -w
    p) fastboot reboot

v) fastboot reboot

a) Enable usb debugging
    d) adb shell
    f) mount -o rw,remount /

a) adb shell
    b) su

a) adb reboot bootloader
    d) adb remount all
    e) adb shell
    g) mkdir /system
    i) exit
    l) adb reboot bootloader
    o) fastboot reboot
    q) adb shell
    r) su