[RECOVERY] [OFFICIAL] TWRP for Shield Portable

Search This thread

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

DOWNLOAD:
Most devices can be updated quickly and easily within TWRP if you already have version 2.8.4.0 or higher installed
1) Download the latest version from our website on your device
2) Reboot to TWRP
3) Hit Install and tap the "Images..." button in the lower right
4) Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
5) Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash
OR:
You can find more information and download links on our website.
Direct device link

BUGS:
If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for Shield Portable, Tool/Utility for the Nvidia Shield

Contributors
Steel01

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.0.2-0

Created 2016-06-01
Last Updated 2016-05-31

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Well, I finally bit the bullet and took official maintainership of the Shield devices for TWRP. So, here's the pure upstream release. It's sideways due to lack of rotation support, but it should have every feature any other TWRP supported device does. The OP is a little different from other TWRP threads because I don't want to keep updating the changelog and version numbers, but those can be found on the twrp homepage linked there. Enjoy.

Reactions: anthonws

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
Lakeland, FL
r3pwn.com
Well, I finally bit the bullet and took official maintainership of the Shield devices for TWRP. So, here's the pure upstream release. It's sideways due to lack of rotation support, but it should have every feature any other TWRP supported device does. The OP is a little different from other TWRP threads because I don't want to keep updating the changelog and version numbers, but those can be found on the twrp homepage linked there. Enjoy.

I'm pretty sure there's a sideways TWRP theme. I recall using it to get it to display properly on molly (Google's ADT-1 Developer Kit).
Have you tried setting the TWRP theme like this? :
Code:
TW_THEME := landscape_hdpi

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
I'm pretty sure there's a sideways TWRP theme. I recall using it to get it to display properly on molly (Google's ADT-1 Developer Kit).
Have you tried setting the TWRP theme like this? :
Code:
TW_THEME := landscape_hdpi
Yeah, the only thing that changes is the aspect ratio, not the orientation.

copota

Jun 29, 2012
USA
Thank you! Thank you!

Just updated to 110, and installed TWRP you posted. All went perfect.

Just FYI, sometimes when I flash a new TWRP recovery, it doesn't take the first time, so I just flash it a few times, then test to see if it took, if it didn't take, I flash a few times more until it finally flashes.

Is there a specific key combo you can use to go right into recovery? Right now, I boot into the bootloader by pressing and holding the back, home and nvidia buttons till it boots into the bootloader, then I select recovery to go into TWRP. Just wanted to know if there's was a key combo to go directly into recovery.

Thanks again for providing and posting the latest TWRP for the Portable!!

WPtE

Apr 14, 2008
Eindhoven
Hello, quick question. I have a previous version of TWRP installed and want to update to the new one.
Is it possible to apply the OTA to 110 with this TWRP or do I need the stock bootloader?
If I need the stock one, does anyone have a link to it? I didn't make a backup, unfortunately :D

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
No need to apply the ota, download the recovery image from Nvidia and fastboot flash blob, boot, and system. You'll lose any modifications to system (such as root) as expected, but that's easy enough to restore.

https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source

But there's no real reason not to update twrp. The older multirom based version has screen rotation, but that's no big deal. And the newer updates have current selinux policies, so they'll be much less likely to cause issues with newer android versions (for those using CM13 and hopefully 14 sometime soon).

Reactions: WPtE

WPtE

Apr 14, 2008
Eindhoven
No need to apply the ota, download the recovery image from Nvidia and fastboot flash blob, boot, and system. You'll lose any modifications to system (such as root) as expected, but that's easy enough to restore.

But there's no real reason not to update twrp. The older multirom based version has screen rotation, but that's no big deal. And the newer updates have current selinux policies, so they'll be much less likely to cause issues with newer android versions (for those using CM13 and hopefully 14 sometime soon).

Ah, I didn't know nvidia published those files like that. That's actually really great!
I'm all up to date now, including the latest TWRP :D

ManiacDC

Feb 23, 2008
Hmm I tried TWRP 3.1 from the TWRP website and the touch interface doesn't work. Also, 3.0.2 seems to have problems mounting and wiping data?

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Meh, okay. I saw a similar touch problem on a local twrp build. I've requested that the build be removed from the official site. I'll look into the problem when I have time.

Haven't had any trouble on 3.0.2 myself. Did you enable encryption or adopted storage in your ROM?

ManiacDC

Feb 23, 2008
Great, thanks!

I didn't enable encryption, and it was the latest stock rom. I'm not really sure what happened. It just seemed to be having trouble mounting and wiping a few partitions on the stock system rom, so I flashed the 3.0.0.0 TWRP from the multirom. I seem to recall that having issues wiping too though. However, now that I've flashed LineageOS onto the system partition, I don't get any errors with 3.0.0.0 anymore. I haven't updated to 3.0.2.0 to see if the errors are gone in that build (nor do I want to wipe anything at this point).

Blash85

Aug 4, 2011
Milano
As I wrote in the LineageOS thread, I had the same problem with touchscreen. I was hoping to solve the non working touchscreen problem during Aroma OpenGapps install.. is there any hope it gets solved? I think it would be very useful to be able to choose exactly what to install on the Shield, considering its little system partition.

astuermer

Feb 4, 2006
Hmm, seems 3.1.0.0 and 3.1.1.0 don't work on the Shield Portable. After the first start no touch gesture is recognized. If you connect a USB mouse you can get past this...
But after a new start to the recovery everything you select results in "wipe factory settings" - which I assume you won't :)

PS: Landscape would be nice.

min1968

Dec 29, 2006
Hmm, seems 3.1.0.0 and 3.1.1.0 don't work on the Shield Portable. After the first start no touch gesture is recognized. If you connect a USB mouse you can get past this...
But after a new start to the recovery everything you select results in "wipe factory settings" - which I assume you won't :)

PS: Landscape would be nice.

I too have this issue. Seems they messed up screen as portrait mode.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
I see the problem with touch on the newer builds. Would have sworn I had at least one of those removed due to issue, but it apparently came back. Looking into updating all the internal files for 7.1. Working on testing and fixing that right now. The problem is that the touch screen userspace is trying to start before selinux is set to permissive by twrp. So, I have to make sure everything is labelled correctly and that's causing issues. If I'm lucky, I'll be uploading a test build later today. But as with all this type of work, I can't 100% guarantee anything.

Landscape would be nice.
The rotation code no longer exists, it was deemed too slow and hacky. I have to set it up in portrait or not at all, unfortunately.

Edit:
So, not having much luck with making it play nice on default settings. Here's a build with selinux explicitly disabled and touch works as expected. As I have time, I will continue to work on this and get it upstreamed. For the moment, use this 3.1.1 build.

twrp-3.1.1-0-unofficial-roth.img

Last edited:

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Finally got around to pushing updates to official twrp. So if you've had issues in the past, please try again. Should be easier to test and fix stuff now that I've got all that pushed.

Side Note: This is fully a 7.1.1 recovery and build. Blasted recovery from N works better than the roms themselves...

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Some updates have been pushed for this. 3.2.1.0 has been release as of a few hours ago. If any issues are found, please report.

neg2led

Jan 15, 2010
When trying to flash the 2018-02-11 LineageOS nightly with 3.2.1.0, I get the following error;

Code:
Updating partition details...
...done
Full SELinux support is present.
Installing zip file '/sdcard/lineage-13.0-20180211-nightly-roth-signed.zip'
Checking for digest file...
Skipping Digest check: no Digest file found
Verifying zip signature...
Zip signature verified successfully,
[B]This package is for device: roth; this device is .[/B]
Updater process ended with ERROR: 7
Error installing zip file '/sdcard/lineage-13.0-20180211-nightly-roth-signed.zip'
Updating partition details...
...done

The flash does not proceed beyond this point - apparently can't identify the device type (see bolded text above). If I repeat the process using version 3.1.1-2 or version 3.0.2.0 it works fine, though.

Let me know if you'd like me to pull any logs etc :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

DOWNLOAD:
    Most devices can be updated quickly and easily within TWRP if you already have version 2.8.4.0 or higher installed
    1) Download the latest version from our website on your device
    2) Reboot to TWRP
    3) Hit Install and tap the "Images..." button in the lower right
    4) Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
    5) Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash
    OR:
    You can find more information and download links on our website.
    Direct device link

BUGS:
    If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Shield Portable, Tool/Utility for the Nvidia Shield

Contributors
    Steel01

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.0.2-0

Created 2016-06-01
    Last Updated 2016-05-31