Sorry for the dumb question,
That is not a dumb question. First of all I am very sorry because I have bad news for you. It is very likely that you won't be able to fully restore your phone to the state it was before the bootloop. Still I will try to help you salvage as much as possible and tell you how you can prevent data loss in future. You need some basic knowledge about Android and TWRP usage because I won't cover every little step. However you seem to have this knowledge so you should be fine.
1. Do a full nandroid backup off all partitions minus the boot partition. If you are offered "Images" use those instead. Example: If you are offered "System" and "System Image" only backup the System Image. When restoring later you can decide which partitions you want to restore. So you can start with everything minus the boot partition if you suspect that this is the culprit for your boot loops.
2. Copy the Nandroid Backup to you PC. This should be possible by connecting your phone via USB to your PC and activating MTP mode in TWRP. It's in the advanced section afaik. ATTENTION: It is VERY important that you copy your whole TWRP folder. If you only copy the backup folder you won't be able to restore your backup! There is a number coded folder inside and TWRP needs the full path for restoring backups.
3. Copy all other files you can reach on your (virtual) SD-Card to your PC since those are not part of the nandroid backup. This is usually the folder where you find your "Downloads" and "TWRP" folder in.
That's it. Now fix your boot loop, restore your nandroid backup minus the boot partition, and if you lost your sdcard contents by fixing your phone, copy in those as well. You will however have some data loss with lots of apps you used and you will lose most of your system settings.
For the future:
Ok, so how do you avoid data loss in future? With regular backups of course. On Android you have to do two backups, though!
1. Do regular nandroid backups as described above via TWRP and copy those to your PC.
2. Get (or better BUY!) Titanium Backup: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&hl=en
This little wonder boy does regular backups of all your apps and the data within. Copy those backups to your PC as well!
3. Create a flashable zip with Titanium Backup. This way you can install Titanium Backup via TWRP!
4. Ifyou ever have to fully wipe your Phone you can begin with restoring nandroid backups. Then flash the Titanium Zip and copy over your Titanium backup to your phone. Boot your phone and run Titanium Backup. Select RESTORE EVERYTHING and reboot afterwards.
5. Everything is back to normal as if your phone was never broken.
6. ATTENTION: The nandroid backup and titanium backup should match for best results. So when you copy your nandroid backup to your PC also copy your titanium backup as well.
I hope this was useful to you. Sorry for your data loss but if you make regular backups in future you will be fine from now one.