For the Asus Transformer TF101

First off, thank you to...

Team Rogue
Koush
CyanogenMod Team
j-r0dd
Solarnz
Roach2010​

All I did slap together all their hard work to make it work on the TF101.

Sources

Rogue Recovery

The source and more info for Rouge Recovery is available in the Xoom release thread from Team Rogue. I have not made any modifications to it to work with the TF101. You can find that thread here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1235170

The discussion of the touch release in that thread begins here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1235170&page=13#123

Recovery Kernel

I used the kernel from Roach2010's ClockworkMod Recovery 3.2.0.1 release here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213723

Device Tree

Mostly based on AOKP's TF101 device tree, just picked out the parts needed to compile the recovery. Particularly BoardConfig.mk:
https://github.com/rburrow87/android_device_asus_tf101_recoveryonly

Updates

[2012-05-25] 1.5.0-R1 (5028-based)

Updated to Rogue XM Recovery v1.5.0 which is touch-enabled with the same features as before. See the Xoom release thread for more information on Rogue Recovery:

Can also finally use the boot to recovery option available in some ROMs thanks to the recovery boot loop fix from Roach2010 from here:

Workaround for small menu targets

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26142147&postcount=151

If I can figure out a way to just make the menu items taller, I'll make an update. Otherwise I'm waiting for Rogue to implement it first.​

[2012-01-14] 1.3.0-R1 (5027-based)

Original release, non-touch​

Info

Mounting as USB storage does not work. (Accessing the tablet or SD card from your computer when plugged in via USB)​

Installation

I tested this the best I could, but use at your own risk. I am not liable for data loss, spontaneous combustion, temporal anomalies, or anything in between.

Just flash the attached zip from CWM.

There's also an nvflash version that has the recovery.img in it and will only flash the recovery if you prefer that method. Or just so you don't have to unpack the blob file if you need the recovery.img.​

Misc:

I did this because I thought it'd be nice to have a newer recovery for our TF101s, but also because I want to learn to do some sort of development even if it's just building for similar devices. I'm still new to using anything like git or using C/Java like this so don't expect miracles right away if bugs come up! I have some experience with other languages, but not in this kind of application.

Attachments

• cwm_recovery-5027_rogue_rburrow-tf101-r1.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 30,589
  • nvflash_cwm_recovery-5027_rogue_rburrow-tf101-r1.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 5,783
  • cwm_recovery-5028_rogue-1.5.0_rburrow-tf101-r1.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 8,464
  • nvflash_cwm_recovery-5028_rogue-1.5.0_rburrow-tf101-r1.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 4,800
Last edited:

will8578

Apr 19, 2011
herne bay
there was someone in one of the ics threads, looking for this, they,ll be chuffed to bits.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

rburrow

Jan 14, 2012
Thank you, looks nice. Doing a nand backup right now with it.

Awesome! :)

there was someone in one of the ics threads, looking for this, they,ll be chuffed to bits.

I saw that post! I've been watching that thread and trying it out when there's an update.

Cam you just rename this img if u wanna flash with nvflash?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

To do that, you have to extract the zip and then unpack the blob file... but I updated the OP with an extra nvflash version that flashes just the recovery and gives you the recovery.img.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Finally! A 5.x.x.x CWM recovery

Does this allow flashing from both internal and external?

On my Galaxy Nexus, they also have a touch softkey mod that has softkeys for up, down, back, and select. Not a big deal but something cool to look into if you get bored.

LTE EX Galaxy Nexus - CM9 AOKP
Asus Transformer - Revolver

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
Can we get a list of features? I've never flashd CWM 5.x.x.x so just curious, and would make a good addition I think.. :)

Reactions: chtamina

Hammerfest

Apr 3, 2008
San Antonio, TX
It's basically the same as 3207 with the ability to flash from and back up to internal memory.

And seems a bit more stable.

:cool:

its definitely not the same as v3.x.... that being said however, simply look at the android_bootable_recovery github to see the differences since v3.x

I think with the latest versions its even possible to use the mount usb with the tablets own MicroSD card where-as in the v3.x tree it wasnt (thanks to v5.x's inclusion of dual mount support, specifically done to support devices with large internal storage)

Still, i have to agree with everyone else, its REALLY nice to finally see a v5.x CWM... using it on my HD2, Evo Shift, and HeroC, it really was a surprising difference from when I was sticking with v3.x

cbrox

Sep 8, 2011
Florida
Thanks! Installed successfully on two separate rooted B60 TF101's(ARHD 3.2, and Krakd 1.4.2)without any issues. Works great nice job!

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
New recovery works great!

Just flashed this without any issue. Nice look and feel. Are there more options available under the 'wipe' option, such as ability to wipe only cache or Dalvik cache like the 3.2.0.1 had? I haven't had a chance to look yet and didn't want to chance inadvertently wiping my device. Thanks.
[EDIT] I've now had time to look around and answer my own question. Yes, the other wipe options are there under the wipe menu item. Good to not see that sd card error all the time. So far it seems pretty flawless and better looking, too. I had to reflash my ROM last night and got to put it through it's paces.

Last edited:
Reactions: frankwhite8536

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8
Good job and thanks for carrying forward with recovery.

I did notice that at least on mine, I saw no 'connection' between the progress bar when doing a full advanced backup to the plugin SDCARD (normal backup as in the old days), or in other words, no sign of progress despite it working fine. I'm looking around the code to see what might have caused that.

The other interesting change not mentioned is that the backup file format/suffix is now .tar instead of .img. I tried using Titanium to restore an app from the backup with the .tar files, and it worked fine. Is .tar what the current versions of cwm are using?

Lastly: I know that to burn a kernel you have to use blobs on the tf101, so which .tar file contains the kernel blob? (I've not yet analyzed this yet and have assumed that you have to actually burn a kernel afterward to get one in place). What I was wondering is if we could get the equivalent of 'boot.img' from other v5 cwm's that are around, but I suppose ours would have to burn a blob rather than just unpack a .tar file.

EDIT: After reading through the original post about Rogue Recovery, I realized that in the last / prior release notes it mentioned this:

*Progress indication disabled by default again for speed (create /sdcard/clockworkmod/.hidenandroidprogress to enable progress)

Which took care of my initial gripe so check on off to me not reading enough ..

Thanks again --

Last edited:

jwilliamf

Jun 16, 2011
Texas
I tested this by doing a full backup and restore. After the sucesfull backup, I then did the restore which it did restored from backup but wifi got broken and no way to turn was wifi on.

baseballfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Sugar Land TX
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
I tested this by doing a full backup and restore. After the sucesfull backup, I then did the restore which it did restored from backup but wifi got broken and no way to turn was wifi on.

I also did a back up and restore and my Wifi is fine.
I did not do the advance backup just the regular backup.
Someone else reported this wifi problems using Roach's 3.2.0.1 CWM also.

rburrow

Jan 14, 2012

Hmm, weird, I'm not sure why the recovery would break that unless it's failing to restore something or possibly failed to back something up. I did several backups and restores when I was checking to see if everything worked and never encountered that. Maybe try restoring the one giving your trouble a couple of times to see if it comes back?

rburrow

Jan 14, 2012
Good job and thanks for carrying forward with recovery.

I did notice that at least on mine, I saw no 'connection' between the progress bar when doing a full advanced backup to the plugin SDCARD (normal backup as in the old days), or in other words, no sign of progress despite it working fine. I'm looking around the code to see what might have caused that.

The other interesting change not mentioned is that the backup file format/suffix is now .tar instead of .img. I tried using Titanium to restore an app from the backup with the .tar files, and it worked fine. Is .tar what the current versions of cwm are using?

Lastly: I know that to burn a kernel you have to use blobs on the tf101, so which .tar file contains the kernel blob? (I've not yet analyzed this yet and have assumed that you have to actually burn a kernel afterward to get one in place). What I was wondering is if we could get the equivalent of 'boot.img' from other v5 cwm's that are around, but I suppose ours would have to burn a blob rather than just unpack a .tar file.

EDIT: After reading through the original post about Rogue Recovery, I realized that in the last / prior release notes it mentioned this:

*Progress indication disabled by default again for speed (create /sdcard/clockworkmod/.hidenandroidprogress to enable progress)

Which took care of my initial gripe so check on off to me not reading enough ..

Thanks again --

Looks like somewhere around CWM 4 is when the switch to tar was made. It has better the speed along with the ability to back up and restore the correct filesystem. Sounds like the progress thing was added somewhere around then as well.
[ Found here: https[colon]//plus.google[dot]com/103583939320326217147/posts/G4VQuCpR25y Sorry, can't make outside links yet. ]

Looking at a kernel zip, it uses dd to put the blob in /dev/block/mmcblk0p4, which is also where the recovery goes... I clearly need to learn more about what's going on here when flashing a kernel or recovery to the same thing and what the function of the blob is.

Looking in the nandroid backuip system tar though, it grabs the /system/lib/modules folder which some kernel zips add to, so the nandroid is backing that up. I'm not sure if nandroid, at least in its current state, is able to back up or restore the kernel itself because of the whole blob thing?

Hmm, perhaps I should make a feature list instead of just saying look at the Xoom release thread! :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rogue XM Touch Recovery v1.5.0-R1
    (CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.8)

For the Asus Transformer TF101

First off, thank you to...

Team Rogue
    Koush
    CyanogenMod Team
    j-r0dd
    Solarnz
    Roach2010​

All I did slap together all their hard work to make it work on the TF101.

Sources

Rogue Recovery

The source and more info for Rouge Recovery is available in the Xoom release thread from Team Rogue. I have not made any modifications to it to work with the TF101. You can find that thread here:

The discussion of the touch release in that thread begins here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1235170&page=13#123

Recovery Kernel

I used the kernel from Roach2010's ClockworkMod Recovery 3.2.0.1 release here:

Device Tree

Mostly based on AOKP's TF101 device tree, just picked out the parts needed to compile the recovery. Particularly BoardConfig.mk:
    https://github.com/rburrow87/android_device_asus_tf101_recoveryonly

Updates

[2012-05-25] 1.5.0-R1 (5028-based)

Updated to Rogue XM Recovery v1.5.0 which is touch-enabled with the same features as before. See the Xoom release thread for more information on Rogue Recovery:

Can also finally use the boot to recovery option available in some ROMs thanks to the recovery boot loop fix from Roach2010 from here:

Workaround for small menu targets

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26142147&postcount=151

If I can figure out a way to just make the menu items taller, I'll make an update. Otherwise I'm waiting for Rogue to implement it first.​

[2012-01-14] 1.3.0-R1 (5027-based)

Original release, non-touch​

Info

Mounting as USB storage does not work. (Accessing the tablet or SD card from your computer when plugged in via USB)​

Installation

I tested this the best I could, but use at your own risk. I am not liable for data loss, spontaneous combustion, temporal anomalies, or anything in between.

Just flash the attached zip from CWM.

There's also an nvflash version that has the recovery.img in it and will only flash the recovery if you prefer that method. Or just so you don't have to unpack the blob file if you need the recovery.img.​

Misc:

I did this because I thought it'd be nice to have a newer recovery for our TF101s, but also because I want to learn to do some sort of development even if it's just building for similar devices. I'm still new to using anything like git or using C/Java like this so don't expect miracles right away if bugs come up! I have some experience with other languages, but not in this kind of application.
    How do I install this with nvflash?
    Download the nvflash version in the OP
    Put tf into APX mode
    Open the Cwm nvflash folder, click on download_sos_only.bat
    Thank you, looks nice. Doing a nand backup right now with it.

Awesome! :)

I saw that post! I've been watching that thread and trying it out when there's an update.

Cam you just rename this img if u wanna flash with nvflash?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

To do that, you have to extract the zip and then unpack the blob file... but I updated the OP with an extra nvflash version that flashes just the recovery and gives you the recovery.img.
    Thread moved to Development.
    just rooted with nachoroot but for some reason nvflash isn't working for anything.. can't flash a rom or run nvflash at all i don't know why nvflash won't work.. yes the drivers and everything is installed correctly and i booted correctly into apx mode.. anyway to flash using adb or something or rom manager?

You probably have the newer SBK which doesn't work with nvflash.
    Use RecoveryInstaller, it will flash CWM version 3.2.0.1 on your tablet.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=19319421

If you want to update than come back here and get this version.