[RECOVERY][ROOT] Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (GT-I9195)

Search This thread

j-tech

Nov 9, 2016
UK
stuck on boot loop

Hey all
Yesterday the phone wouldn't turn on at all, so tried the usual button tricks and nothing, then saw a youtube video of someone gently hitting the power button which worked and the phone vibrated, but then went in to boot loop, i can get in to download mode, but when i try recovery mode, it says booting recovery... then it goes back in to boot loop.
I tried odin and the CW recovery file it uploads fine i get the download bar then i press power up and home as it reboots but i just get booting recovery... then after 5 seconds it goes back in to boot loop.

the phone has a stock rom, but think it's rooted from factory as standard? It's a UK GT-19195 i don't know how to find out what the stock rom is?

any advice would be very welcome

Last edited:
Hey all
Yesterday the phone wouldn't turn on at all, so tried the usual button tricks and nothing, then saw a youtube video of someone gently hitting the power button which worked and the phone vibrated, but then went in to boot loop, i can get in to download mode, but when i try recovery mode, it says booting recovery... then it goes back in to boot loop.
I tried odin and the CW recovery file it uploads fine i get the download bar then i press power up and home as it reboots but i just get booting recovery... then after 5 seconds it goes back in to boot loop.

the phone has a stock rom, but think it's rooted from factory as standard? It's a UK GT-19195 i don't know how to find out what the stock rom is?

any advice would be very welcome
Can you check the text which it appear by entering the recovery... ? I don't want to discourage you but it is not good sign anyway... Because it is known by Samsung S4 mini that recovery chipset „get broken“ very quick and often... And if it is so, then there is no rentable repair except buying a new motherboard... So good luck and hopefully it is something else...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

HD4Dummies

Sep 20, 2017
Hello, noob on this subject here. :D

I performed the whole procedure from the 1st post (just not the bit for "4.2.2)" without problem but Root Checker still says that "Sorry, Root access is not properly installed on this device".
Is there something implied in the procedure that I did not do? Any idea?
The device is Samsung S4 Mini GT-l9195, Androïd 4.4.2. I bought it over from my previous work but I think it is pretty much "stock". Any help is welcome.
I deleted a whole photo album and I'm not using my phone until I recovered half of them.:(

j-tech

Nov 9, 2016
UK
Can you check the text which it appear by entering the recovery... ? I don't want to discourage you but it is not good sign anyway... Because it is known by Samsung S4 mini that recovery chipset „get broken“ very quick and often... And if it is so, then there is no rentable repair except buying a new motherboard... So good luck and hopefully it is something else...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Hi, when I try boot recovery I get "booting recovery... " then after about 5 seconds it just tries to boot the phone normally. So maybe it is a hardware failure :(

xda-hayduke

Aug 1, 2016
Try it again and make sure you act quickly during the reboot into recovery or you will have to start over - see the first few posts for details.

HD4Dummies

Sep 20, 2017
Try it again and make sure you act quickly during the reboot into recovery or you will have to start over - see the first few posts for details.
I read the 100 first posts and see no info on my case. I did it again and again.
After Odin makes the phone reboot, I get to choose to install the ZIP file "from /SDcard" or "from /Storage/SDcard1". If I choose the 2nd, I can install the ZIP file but then at the end it stays on "installation completed" or something. I have to press the power button to turn it off and On again, then it says it is updating and starting the applications but I still have no root access (Root Checker says).
Is this because I'm on 4.4.2 and not 4.2.2?

xda-hayduke

Aug 1, 2016
It's not because you're on 4.4.2. I'm on 4.4.2 and everything worked on the first try for me. Sounds like you have the same phone too. Make sure you have the latest versions of the rootkit etc from post #1. I know the files have been updated a few times since the thread was originally posted.

I have never run Root Checker and I wonder if your phone really is rooted and for some reason Root Checker itself is failing. What does SuperSU say? It's part of the rootkit so you already have it in your Apps.

Try installing the KSHARK Terminal Emulator apk (you can do this without a Play Store account, which is important to some of us). Run the app, and at the "$" prompt enter "su". You should see a "root@serranolte:/ #" prompt, confirming that you have root. If you have adb you can also try "adb shell" followed by "su" at the shell prompt.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

I read the 100 first posts and see no info on my case. I did it again and again.
I was referring to Procedure #7 in the first post of this thread. You have to be quick after the phone vibrates. Are you sure you caught the reboot in time? If you didn't you just have to go back and try again from the top.

I'm fairly new to Android - no expert - but it worked for me and I'm pretty sure we can get it to work for you too.

HD4Dummies

Sep 20, 2017
I'm fairly new to Android - no expert - but it worked for me and I'm pretty sure we can get it to work for you too.
Good.:good: I'm less sure, but if I had no hope at all I would not be posting here.
Regarding the files versions, the 1st post is from 2013 last edited more than a year ago. I downloaded the 3 files this week and the dates are
-recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.md5: (inside the zip file) 20/3/2015
-S4Mini_RootKit_v2: the most recent file inside the zip file is from 20/1/2014.
I admit I missed step 7 a couple of times but then I did it right at least 4 times since then (the whole procedure).
SuperSU says (it's in french) "Aucun binaire SU n'est installé et SuperSu ne peut l'installer. C'est un problème. Si vous venez de ffaire la mise à jour vers Androïd 4.3, vous devez re-rooter votre appareil manuellement. Veuillez consulter les forums correspondants à votre appareil".
Which translates to "No SuperSU binary installed and SuperSU cannot install it. It's a problem. If you just upgraded to Androïd 4.3 you have to re-root your device manually. ....."
This is not my case.
If I do install KSHARK's thingy, Is it possible to install the .apk file from the SD card ? How would I do that? I mean if copy the file on the SD card, how do I start it or start the installation?
I'm trying to install as less as possible. The reason I'm doing all this is that I deleted about 3Gig of photos (one whole album) and I'm trying to recover some with the procedure on a web page I can't link to (because I'm a new user) which basically would copy the internal memory of my phone into a raw file, but at the end, nothing happens and the RAW file is created with zero byte. That is probably because I don't have root access.
The more I fiddle with the phone, the less I'll recover.:( Google has already updated loads of crap while I was downloading Root Checker.:eek:
Thanks.

xda-hayduke

Aug 1, 2016
To install an apk that you have copied or downloaded to your phone (SD card or wherever) you just have to use the already installed "My Files" app to go to the location of the apk and tap on it to install it. Or you can use "adb install" to install it from another computer.

But since your rootkit install failed there's not much point. I have no idea why SuperSU is outputting that error message. Someone on this forum with more knowledge than me might have some ideas. I would suggest that you first flash a stock rom from sammobile.com so that you know for sure what's on your phone then reinstall the rootkit but that would destroy whatever is left of the photos you are trying to recover.

Not trying to be unkind but next time... make a backup or three of your photos.

HD4Dummies

Sep 20, 2017
Before I press Start in Odin, while the phone is in download mode, I get this on the screen:
Product Name: GT-i9195
Current Binary: Custom
System Status: Custom
Knox Kernel Lock: 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x1
Bootloader AP SWREV: 2
Write Protection: Enable

Is this last line the problem? Is there something I should change in the security options of my phone?
I tried to uninstall SuperSU but I could only deactivate it, then I retried the whole procedure and now SuperSU is not back. :(

IronRoo

Aug 4, 2014
Before I press Start in Odin, while the phone is in download mode, I get this on the screen:
Product Name: GT-i9195
Current Binary: Custom
System Status: Custom
Knox Kernel Lock: 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x1
Bootloader AP SWREV: 2
Write Protection: Enable

Is this last line the problem? Is there something I should change in the security options of my phone?
I tried to uninstall SuperSU but I could only deactivate it, then I retried the whole procedure and now SuperSU is not back. :(

No, it is normal to have write protection set as Enable

Are you sure you are booting STRAIGHT into RECOVERY (not normal system boot) after Odin CWM flash before flashing the rootkit?

HD4Dummies

Sep 20, 2017
Are you sure you are booting STRAIGHT into RECOVERY (not normal system boot) after Odin CWM flash before flashing the rootkit?
Yes straight from the first vibration. Is there any other way/mode I would get to this screen ? :
-Reboot System now
-Install ZIP
-Wipe data / factory reset
-Wipe cache partition
-Backup and restore
-Mounts and storage
-Advanced
Also weird is that both Home and Power buttons act as "Enter" for navigation, I don't have no Back button. And that's not funny.
Is it normal I have to push the power button for 5 seconds after the ZIP file is installed to get it to restart? Should it not restart automatically? Thanks.

Last edited:

Sogolumbo

Oct 14, 2017
Phone doesn't work anymore | Wrong Kernel | What should I do now?

[*]Optional: Flash GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip (Only for Android 4.2.2, not KitKat) to use a custom stock kernel, which might fix battery drain for some.

I rooted my Galaxy S4 Mini using your guide and it worked great, but the battery was drained really fast. That's why I installed the GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip as well. Problem is: The Phone doesn't start anymore. I think I had Android 4.4.2 on there (the newest version officially available).
At the moment I can get into the downloading mode and the system recovery mode. If I try to start it normally it shows the samsung logo and says "Set Warranty Bit: kernel" at the top for some time. After that there's just a black screen.
I am absolutely no expert at this so I am asking you, what to do now. My first reaction would be trying to installing the right kernel, but I don't know where to get it and whether that could make things worse.
I really hope, someone can help me here because I am kind of lost without my phone and whatsapp :(

Update:
I just left it with that black screen for some time. Then i tried to restart it and it didn't work so I removed the battery and put it back in (like I did multiple times before).
Then I went into the Recovery Menu again and looked around just to find out what other options there are. I accidentally clicked the wrong button so it started the first option under "Backup&Restore" (not sure how that option is called). Again i removed the battery and put it back in, but now it doesn't do anything anymore. :( Did I just brick my phone? ;(

Last edited:
I rooted my Galaxy S4 Mini using your guide and it worked great, but the battery was drained really fast. That's why I installed the GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip as well. Problem is: The Phone doesn't start anymore. I think I had Android 4.4.2 on there (the newest version officially available).
At the moment I can get into the downloading mode and the system recovery mode. If I try to start it normally it shows the samsung logo and says "Set Warranty Bit: kernel" at the top for some time. After that there's just a black screen.
I am absolutely no expert at this so I am asking you, what to do now. My first reaction would be trying to installing the right kernel, but I don't know where to get it and whether that could make things worse.
I really hope, someone can help me here because I am kind of lost without my phone and whatsapp :(

Update:
I just left it with that black screen for some time. Then i tried to restart it and it didn't work so I removed the battery and put it back in (like I did multiple times before).
Then I went into the Recovery Menu again and looked around just to find out what other options there are. I accidentally clicked the wrong button so it started the first option under "Backup&Restore" (not sure how that option is called). Again i removed the battery and put it back in, but now it doesn't do anything anymore. :( Did I just brick my phone? ;(
Flash an official Samsung firmware, at this point, that is your only option.
Mixing old firmware base with different kernel base will never end well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using XDA Labs

D4ND310

Thank you for your help.
What is the CF Autoroot tool?
Should I follow this guide https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2751224 to install the official firmware?
I have built myself an USB-Jig.

Hi, the Chainfire Auto-Root package is just what it sounds like.
It will root your device at install time with Chainfire SuperSU. Here's a recent XDA news announcement article:

https://www.xda-developers.com/firmware-mobi-stock-boot-recovery-images/

XDA Discussion thread: https://xdaforums.com/android/development/firmware-mobi-t3675896

The thread you linked seems a sound method, although, it's dated 2014 and I don't know how recently the firmware links have been updated, you may have more luck finding what you need on CF's site to use while following that guide, if you're unable to simply install your new stock firmware via Odin alone.

Good luck! ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sogolumbo

Sogolumbo

Oct 14, 2017
Bootloader (BL) > BOOTLOADER...
PDA (AP) > CODE...
PHONE (CP) > MODEM...
CSC > CSC...
PIT > CSB...

The guide wants me to put all of these files into odin. I don't know where to get them.
The CF page offers both boot and recovery images. Which one(s) should I choose?
Thanks again, I really love your support. I would be lost without it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING! ONLY USE THIS ON THE GT-I9195 MODEL!

Hello all S4 Mini owners!

I'm happy to finally release ClockworkMod recovery and an insecure kernel for the GT-I9195. With these two installed on your device, obtaining root is easy.

Attached to this post is the necessary files needed for this task. Download the following files:

• Odin_v3.09.zip (if you don't have it already)
    • recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.zip
    • S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip (contains SuperSU v1.89 and BusyBox v1.21.1) ONLY FOR STOCK ROM! NOT FOR CM OR OTHER AOSP BASED ROMS!
    Extract recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.zip file to your computer.

The procedure is as:

1. Copy the " S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip" to your device SD card.
    2. Turn off the phone.
    3. Press and hold home, volume down and power. Download screen should appear.
    4. Connect USB cable, and press volume up.
    5. Start Odin, uncheck "F. Reset Time", and then click AP button.
    6. Select "recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.md5" file that you previously extracted, and press Start button. The phone will reboot when finished.
    7. After the phone resets (it vibrates) IMMEDIATELY hold volume up and home buttons to boot into recovery mode.
    8. Select the option to install the ZIP file you have previously copied to your device and begin flashing it.
    9. After flashing using CWM, reboot into system and enjoy your rooted device.
    10. Optional: Flash GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip (Only for Android 4.2.2, not KitKat) to use a custom stock kernel, which might fix battery drain for some.
      Kernel changelog: https://github.com/arco/android_kernel_samsung_msm8930-common/commits/stock
    If you get warnings about applications doing not permitted actions, delete the following files from system/app, or let SuperSU fix it for you.

• KNOXAgent.apk
    • KNOXStore.apk
    • ContainerAgent.apk
    I'm still working on CM, and have the last few days been struggling with rewriting the audio config that defines mixer control and usages. Samsung uses completely different names than what's in the audio hal in CM, and rewriting it and testing is a huge pain. And then on top of that Android 4.3 was released, so even more work bringing that up too.
    [OFF-TOPIC] What do you think about releasing a second CM9/CM10 EOL for our old Galaxy W to include the MasterKey exploit patches? I don't think it's a good idea to leave us with security risks :)[/OFF-TOPIC]

Yes, there will be new releases of that soon. But keep that discussion to the Galaxy W forums. :)

Quick question before I root it, what do you mean by "insecure"? Certainly not shy, but as in unstable or as in unsafe?

An insecure kernel has disabled the root prevention checks that Samsung added. Other than that it's the same as stock kernel. Although in this kernel I also made two minor changes to allow apps to read the kernel log and the full logcat.
    Added version 6.0.5.1 to first post.
    Recovery version 6.0.5.0 added to first post.