[RECOVERY][ROOT][TWRP-3.1.1-0] Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 LTE - SM-T285 (gtexslte)

Search This thread

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
Attached in this thread is TWRP-3.1.1-0 repackaged for the SM-T285 built by @_mone from his SM-T280 build. Basically I packaged the latest gtexslte kernel with the ramdisk build by @_mone. I don't have time to build twrp myself so a big thanks to him.

Update August 20, 2017
==================

- Remove persdata error message when wiping
- fix properties to correctly use gtexslte instead of gtexswifi

Issues:

- Seems to start slower than the 3.0.1 build

For GPL compliance:

https://github.com/jedld/kernel_samsung_gtexslte.git

Sources:

Omni TWRP device tree is the same as the one @_mone is using but use the gtexslte kernel and skip the DTB boot image header shenanigans that the SM-T280 uses.

See thread

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

This installation instruction is only for the LTE enabled version of the Samsug galaxy tab A 7" 2016 (SM-T285). If you have a wifi-only version (SM-T280) go to this thread instead.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for bricked devices and provide no warranty, make sure you made the proper backups and contingencies before you do this procedure. Make sure you have a stock firmware available as a contingency plan

Before going through this make sure your tablet is OEM Unlocked!. Make sure you have developer settings enable and there should be a setting there that says OEM unlock. That should be enabled, otherwise your SM-T285 will not accept firmware changes. Also make sure your tablet has sufficient charge and is not about to die.

1. Put your tablet in download mode (Turn off. holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN until download mode appears. There will be a warning that about custom firmware blah- blah-blah just hit volume up to proceed). Connect your tablet to your computer using the provided micro usb cable.

2. Flash with ODIN 3.10.7 in the AP slot. Uncheck Auto reboot. (If you are on Linux you can use Heimdall

3. Load the respective attached file (TWRP_3.1.1-0_SM-T285_20170501.zip) in this thread below into the AP slot and hit start.

4. After flashing when ODIN says PASS immediately reboot to recovery by holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN.
As soon as the screen goes blank change to VOL UP whilst still holding the other buttons.
You should now see TWRP recovery.

Root and SuperSU
==============

1. Download the latest available SuperSu Zip from chainfire. Install Zip using TWRP. Reboot phone.
2.Your phone might reboot a couple of times, however at the end of the process you should be rooted.

Credits:

@_mone and @ashyx

Attachments

• TWRP_3.1.1-0_SM-T285-20170720.zip
    12.1 MB · Views: 5,458
Last edited:

Binero

Oct 27, 2014
I am getting a `Failed to mount '/persdata' (Invalid argument)`. What does this mean? Is it harmful? My device is softbricked atm, but I am unsure if it's related.

Auto install

May 20, 2018
TWRP-3.1.1-0 repackaged for the SM-T285 build

Hi

Does the TWRP-3.1.1-0 repackaged for the SM-T285 build kernel allow for USB OTG host and simultanious charging mode?

acornkenya

Mar 19, 2009
Thika
@acornkenya, @barani kumar, @User_99: you guys thanked my post above. Does that mean my twrp build works?

The bootloader and modem work perfectly, but the TWRP failed to boot. I apologize for not informing you sooner; I have been very busy.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

@acornkenya, @barani kumar, @User_99: you guys thanked my post above. Does that mean my twrp build works?

The bootloader and modem work perfectly, but the TWRP failed to boot. I apologize for not informing you sooner; I have been extremely busy.

ripee

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Aug 25, 2014
tiny.cc
The bootloader and modem work perfectly, but the TWRP failed to boot. I apologize for not informing you sooner; I have been very busy.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

The bootloader and modem work perfectly, but the TWRP failed to boot. I apologize for not informing you sooner; I have been extremely busy.

No problem at all, just curious. I'll take another look later.

Reactions: acornkenya

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Attached in this thread is TWRP-3.1.1-0 repackaged for the SM-T285 built by @_mone from his SM-T280 build. Basically I packaged the latest gtexslte kernel with the ramdisk build by @_mone. I don't have time to build twrp myself so a big thanks to him.

Update August 20, 2017
    ==================

- Remove persdata error message when wiping
    - fix properties to correctly use gtexslte instead of gtexswifi

Issues:

- Seems to start slower than the 3.0.1 build

For GPL compliance:

https://github.com/jedld/kernel_samsung_gtexslte.git

Sources:

Omni TWRP device tree is the same as the one @_mone is using but use the gtexslte kernel and skip the DTB boot image header shenanigans that the SM-T280 uses.

See thread

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

This installation instruction is only for the LTE enabled version of the Samsug galaxy tab A 7" 2016 (SM-T285). If you have a wifi-only version (SM-T280) go to this thread instead.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for bricked devices and provide no warranty, make sure you made the proper backups and contingencies before you do this procedure. Make sure you have a stock firmware available as a contingency plan

Before going through this make sure your tablet is OEM Unlocked!. Make sure you have developer settings enable and there should be a setting there that says OEM unlock. That should be enabled, otherwise your SM-T285 will not accept firmware changes. Also make sure your tablet has sufficient charge and is not about to die.

1. Put your tablet in download mode (Turn off. holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN until download mode appears. There will be a warning that about custom firmware blah- blah-blah just hit volume up to proceed). Connect your tablet to your computer using the provided micro usb cable.

2. Flash with ODIN 3.10.7 in the AP slot. Uncheck Auto reboot. (If you are on Linux you can use Heimdall

3. Load the respective attached file (TWRP_3.1.1-0_SM-T285_20170501.zip) in this thread below into the AP slot and hit start.

4. After flashing when ODIN says PASS immediately reboot to recovery by holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN.
    As soon as the screen goes blank change to VOL UP whilst still holding the other buttons.
    You should now see TWRP recovery.

Root and SuperSU
    ==============

1. Download the latest available SuperSu Zip from chainfire. Install Zip using TWRP. Reboot phone.
    2.Your phone might reboot a couple of times, however at the end of the process you should be rooted.

Credits:

@_mone and @ashyx
    TWRP 3.2.3-0

twrp-3.2.3-0-gtexslte.img
    twrp-3.2.3-0-gtexslte.tar

I used my device tree that I created from _mone's android-6.0 gtexswifi device tree and jedld's omni-6.0 gtexslte source.

Bootloader and modem
    T285XXU0ARB1_T285XXU0AQD1.tar

You might as well update these while you're trying out the new TWRP :D Use Odin's "AP" button.

No problem at all, just curious. I'll take another look later.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone