• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][ROOT]TWRP 3.2.1-1 Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 SM-T820/T825

Search This thread

BenG7

Jun 24, 2009
@ LedgendaryEpics
This is what I actually had to do:
from the latest pie for my region, I flashed twrp (twrp_3.2.1-1_T820_28518), rebooted in twrp recovery only to find neither Data nor Micro SD card (where the patches to flash next are saved) were accessible / could be mounted (internal storage and Micro SD card reported as 0 mb under select storage)...

So I formated data (wipe > format data > yes) so that I could copy the RMM_Bypass_v3 & Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt onto the internal storage,
flashed both of them,
Then I formated data (wipe > format data > yes) again as recommended in the steps, copied Magisk 21.1,
flashed Magisk,
rebooted to system (from twrp recovery menu).

The Samsung branding was displayed and stayed still for a few minutes (and I mean a few minutes if anybody ever needs this) before android finished installing.

Once done with the initial set-up process (access to the internet denied at this stage so that i can disable all the google bloatware / samsung bloatware will be frozen later thanks to Titanium Backup), magisk manager shows up among the apps, it requires internet access but I will provide it only once i'm done with cleaning the rom (latest stock pie as a reminder); will keep you updated.

Last edited:

BenG7

Jun 24, 2009
Hi

First happy new year to all XDA readers!

Here is the update as promised:
the SM-T820 is now properly rooted; after I established wifi access to the internet I updated the Magisk manager and from then on everything behaved as you would expect a rooted device to behave.
Somehow I do not get the advanced menu option (that conveniently allows rebooting to recovery...or is it just a LineageOS option?....) in the Developer options... I can only reboot to recovery from Titanium Backup...
In twrp recovery, my settings are still not saved but now "Data" and "Micro SD card" are mounted, allowing me to flash any additional patch from there.
thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Somehow I do not get the advanced menu option (that conveniently allows rebooting to recovery...or is it just a LineageOS option?....) in the Developer options... I can only reboot to recovery from Titanium Backup...
If you still have problems with restart options I can recommend "Quick reboot" by phongIT from playstore.

switchgott

Jan 22, 2007
Hi to all,
does someone have an idea, why a custom kernel wont boot? I never seen such a an act from snapdragon bootloader. Device is unlocked, but wont boot kernel.
Set warrenty bit: kernel is showing..and then reboot.
Any idea?
Thanks

NullCode

Hi to all,
does someone have an idea, why a custom kernel wont boot? I never seen such a an act from snapdragon bootloader. Device is unlocked, but wont boot kernel.
Set warrenty bit: kernel is showing..and then reboot.
Any idea?
Thanks
Probably because the kernel itself is faulty
Showing the boot splash (Powered by Android yada yada) and then rebooting is sign of a busted kernel/boot image

aektzis100

Sep 9, 2010
Hello , thanks for this nice job ...butt ihave a problem
I put the recovery in stock rom the last time, I also had the rom locked with a fingerprint, because I had not read about the problem that is created and that it is not possible to mount data, so I went through stock rom again, did the litigation and finally put [ROM] SM -T825 TWEAKED and everything went well, then I wanted to try to put [ROM] [UNOFFICIAL] [11] [SM-T820] [SM-T825] [BETA] [20210901] LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab S3 but there are not I managed now as much as I do the process I can not put any rom except the stock ... it can not be done with anything mount data and I end up putting only the stock again ....... is there a solution please ???
thank you any way ...

Last edited:

LedgendaryEpics

Jun 14, 2018
Hello , thanks for this nice job ...butt ihave a problem
I put the recovery in stock rom the last time, I also had the rom locked with a fingerprint, because I had not read about the problem that is created and that it is not possible to mount data, so I went through stock rom again, did the litigation and finally put [ROM] SM -T825 TWEAKED and everything went well, then I wanted to try to put [ROM] [UNOFFICIAL] [11] [SM-T820] [SM-T825] [BETA] [20210901] LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab S3 but there are not I managed now as much as I do the process I can not put any rom except the stock ... it can not be done with anything mount data and I end up putting only the stock again ....... is there a solution please ???
thank you any way ...
youre device might be under kmm abnormal state. Firstly check for updates then pause. Then go to date and time, and set it back a month. Then reboot, recheck for update and then go to about phone, check build number 7 times, developer mode should be unlocked. Go to developer options and you ahould see oem unlock option enabled, if you dont see it at all still then repeat the date and time process again but if you do, you should go back to download mode and then go to your computer.

flash twrp and a pie bootloader (go to debloat rom from roymc to download) then boot to recovery and from there you can use otg (connect pc to tablet) and sideload the lineage os 18.1 unofficial rom and flash it. Id also flash the updated 3.5 twrp within twrp as well as flashing the encryption disabler, and the disable dm verity zip just in case. if you have any questions ashyx, or the guy developing the 18.1 rom for more answers or post them here and ill try to answer as best as i can.

Reactions: aektzis100

aektzis100

Sep 9, 2010
youre device might be under kmm abnormal state. Firstly check for updates then pause. Then go to date and time, and set it back a month. Then reboot, recheck for update and then go to about phone, check build number 7 times, developer mode should be unlocked. Go to developer options and you ahould see oem unlock option enabled, if you dont see it at all still then repeat the date and time process again but if you do, you should go back to download mode and then go to your computer.

flash twrp and a pie bootloader (go to debloat rom from roymc to download) then boot to recovery and from there you can use otg (connect pc to tablet) and sideload the lineage os 18.1 unofficial rom and flash it. Id also flash the updated 3.5 twrp within twrp as well as flashing the encryption disabler, and the disable dm verity zip just in case. if you have any questions ashyx, or the guy developing the 18.1 rom for more answers or post them here and ill try to answer as best as i can.
thank you very match sir .....i will do it

Last edited:

Mike_wth

Sep 28, 2021
Hey guys,

I would need some help, I think I messed up a bit.
I got a S3 and planned to just downgrade it on an old stock rom hoping it would run faster (very limited usecases, so no safety concerns).

I went through some guides to just flash an old Stock Rom using Odin. This failed every time. Based on the error message I figured out that it is a permission error.
Looks like Pie stops the rollback of the bootloader.

I figured that it would make sense to follow @BenG7 's process in this thread (pages 103/104).

I installed TWRP, which I can access without issues.
Flashed RMM_Bypass_v3 & Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt successfully and installed Magisk.

Now the issue:
Dumb as I am, I tried to flash an Android 7 stock rom unsuccessfully. Then tried to flash a current Android 9 rom to test it - unsuccessfully (In TWRP and Odin). THEN I checked and noticed that TWRP reports the system is not rooted and Magisk reports an abnormal state. Login to my google account is not possible any more. I think Google blocks it due to the mess I made with the system.

I would be very grateful for some help.

Best Regards,
Michael

Mike_wth

Sep 28, 2021
@bmwdroid
1. The most current stock rom, since all installations failed, this should be unchanged
(Kernel Version 3.18.115-17011592, Buildnumber PPR1.180610.011.T825XXU3CTD1)
2. Mutiple Files
3. The test with Android 9 (which probable caused the mess) was from Frija (SM-T825_1_20200407184429_w71fukh2ah_fac)
Android 7 version from samfw.com (AUT-T825XXU1ARA2-20180221185758)

I would make the assumption, that I just need to achieve proper root. From that on, it should be possible to just flash whatever is best suited.

Last edited:
I would make the assumption, that I just need to achieve proper root. From that on, it should be possible to just flash whatever is best suited.
Root will not help as it's not needed for using TWRP.
Only when you want to write to system folder or use some special apps (AFWall+, build.prop editor, Quickboot aso) you need it.

Reactions: Mike_wth

Mike_wth

Sep 28, 2021
@bmwdroid
TWRP recommended to install the full TWRP app. Since this was not a thing when I last rooted divices, I installed to check out the functionality. When I open the backup functionality the app reports "Device not rooted" and "unable to locate recovery". (I can boot into TWRP without issues during startup).

When I first tried to install a rom using Odin, the error message was Fused 3 > Binary 2 (I think it was Binary 2).
This was before I used BenG7's process.
There is quite some information for troubleshooting available for this error. After some searching my understanding is, that the encryption of the device and some protection implemented with Pie disables the rollback of the Bootloader to an older version.
This is how I ended up here, trying to root the device.

Odin looks like this:

<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> Total Binary size: 4457 M
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

One other suggestion:
The last time I was really familiar with rooting and custom roms, things looked white differenty.
It was pretty much Rocovery -> different boot loader -> custom rom.
Now it seems like Odin does it all in one step - or better in one step with several files.
Would it make sense, to focus on getting a different boot loader installed`?
This seemed to be the root cause of the original issue.
Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Last edited:
@bmwdroid
TWRP recommended to install the full TWRP app. Since this was not a thing when I last rooted divices, I installed to check out the functionality.
As I've read about loads of people having problems with that app I avoided to install it.
When I open the backup functionality the app reports "Device not rooted" and "unable to locate recovery". (I can boot into TWRP without issues during startup).
As long as Magisk isn't installed you won't have root.
TWRP isn't enough.
When I first tried to install a rom using Odin, the error message was Fused 3 > Binary 2 (I think it was Binary 2).
There is quite some information for troubleshooting available for this error. After some searching my understanding is, that the encryption of the device and some protection implemented with Pie disables the rollback of the Bootloader to an older version.

Odin looks like this:

One other suggestion:
The last time I was really familiar with rooting and custom roms, things looked white differenty.
Now it seems like Odin does it all in one step - or better in one step with several files.
I've read for other devices that downgrading the bootloader wasn't successful.
On my T825 I started with tweaked rorys stock after installing TWRP.
Recently I've switched to LOS18.1.
Don't really know how to help you.

Reactions: Mike_wth

Mike_wth

Sep 28, 2021
TWRP isn't enough.
Is there anything I need to know about installing Magisk?

When I open the app it says:
"Abnormal State. Running this app as a system app is not supported. Please revert the app to a user app".

OK, I will try this tomorrow.

I am learning a lot from you.
As I said, my knowledge is outdated.
Now I got some angles to work on.
Thank you very much!

Is there anything I need to know about installing Magisk?

When I open the app it says:
"Abnormal State. Running this app as a system app is not supported. Please revert the app to a user app".
I've always installed Magisk only via TWRP.
After installation you have to start it to allow it to download somethings it needs.
Never have seen what you mentioned.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Mike_wth
    1. What state (ROM aso) was it on before you started?
    2. did you use multiple or single file stock ROMs with Odin?
    3. Where were they from?
    Root will not help as it's not needed for using TWRP.
    Only when you want to write to system folder or use some special apps (AFWall+, build.prop editor, Quickboot aso) you need it.
    @Mike_wth how can TWRP report a non root?
    When you're using it it's in recovery mode.
    What does Odin say when flashing multiple part ROM?
    @bmwdroid
    TWRP recommended to install the full TWRP app. Since this was not a thing when I last rooted divices, I installed to check out the functionality.
    As I've read about loads of people having problems with that app I avoided to install it.
    When I open the backup functionality the app reports "Device not rooted" and "unable to locate recovery". (I can boot into TWRP without issues during startup).
    TWRP isn't enough.

Odin looks like this:

One other suggestion:
    I've read for other devices that downgrading the bootloader wasn't successful.
    Unofficial release -TWRP recovery for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - SM-T820/T825, Qualcomm MSM8996

teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

TWRP 3.2.1-0 Released
    Dec 9, 2017

TWRP 3.2.1-0 is out now for most currently supported devices.

What's new in 3.2.1-0:

What's new in 3.2.1-0:

* minui fixes (cryptomilk)
    * Better android-8.0 compatibility in ROM trees (Dees_Troy)
    * Fix missing library in android-8.0 (nkk71)
    * Fix inconsistent SDCard naming (DevUt)
    * Default to TWRP restore instead of adb backup restore to fix restore on fresh TWRP boot (jlask)

Update 18/5/2018
    TWRP 3.2.1-1 build released.

Current status: BETA

Features:

MTP working
    ADB working
    SEANDROID warning fix
    TWRP and Kernel built from latest source
    Factory Image flashing(see below) >> to be added
    NTFS support
    F2FS support >> To be added
    Twrp app support

IMPORTANT:
    PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS POST BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING TO YOUR DEVICE.

WHATEVER YOU DO BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR DEVICE AND HAVE THE STOCK FIRMWARE TO HAND JUST IN CASE, DOWNLOADED FROM SAMMOBILE OR UPDATO.
    THIS WILL TRIP KNOX AND MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

Instructions:

Flash with ODIN using the AP slot.

1. Put your device in DOWNLOAD mode.
    2. Uncheck Auto reboot.
    3. Load the respective file below into the AP slot and hit start.
    4. After flashing and ODIN reports PASS immediately reboot to recovery by holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN.
    As soon as the screen goes blank change to VOL UP whilst still holding POWER + HOME.
    You should now see TWRP recovery.
    Failure to implicitly comply with step 4 will result in stock recovery replacing TWRP at first boot

NOTE: Since android 5.1.1 it is necessary to enable OEM Unlock.
    Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM unlocking
    ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

DOWNLOAD -
    Device must be running at least AQD6 or later firmware. Earlier firmware may need the previous builds:

UPDATE: 18/5/2018 TWRP 3.2.1-1

twrp_3.2.1-1_T820_28518

twrp_3.2.1-1_T825_29518

UPDATE: 8/5/2017 TWRP 3.1.0-1

twrp_3.1.0-1_sm-t820_AQD6

twrp_3.1.0-1_sm-t825_AQD6

Previous builds:

SM-T820:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120721426

SM-T825:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298945058

IMPORTANT! This device enforces dm-verity. ANY modifications or even mounting system will put the device into a bootloop. To prevent this TWRP will ask at first boot if you want to keep system 'Read only' or 'Allow modifications to system'. If you choose to keep 'Read only' you will have to flash TWRP at every boot to recovery.
    If you choose to 'Allow' then Magisk needs flashing below to disable dm-verity.

Follow the instructions below to disable dmverity, forced encryption and mount internal storage(DATA):

MARSHMALLOW AND NOUGAT ONLY!:
    To disable forced encryption, mount internal storage(DATA) and disable dm-verity:

1. Boot to Twrp
    2. Format Data partition using FORMAT DATA button under Wipe options.
    (Note: This will wipe the internal storage)
    3. Check DATA is mountable.
    4. Install Magisk
    5. Reboot

OREO ONLY!:
    To disable forced encryption, mount internal storage(DATA) and disable dm-verity:

1. Boot to TWRP

2. Install the Forced encryption patch: Tabs3_oreo_forced encryption_disabler

3. Format DATA using the *FORMAT DATA button* under the wipe options.
    (NOTE - THIS WILL WIPE ALL INTERNAL STORAGE!)

4. Install Magisk

5. Reboot and check DATA is mountable

Done.

Magisk: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

INSTRUCTIONS TO USE ADB BACKUP:
    https://www.droidorigin.com/take-adb-backup-using-twrp-v3-1-0-0/

DEVICE TREE: soon

PLEASE DO *NOT* DIRECT LINK TO THESE FILES. PLEASE LINK TO THIS POST

Screenshot_2016_03_05_08_13_44_1.png

DnoCrqh.png

VAm49c4.png

ytBFf13.png

ONLSkMi.png

Credits: Me, my testers @suzook, @jonathonalexander, Teamwin
    Please note I don't own this device and spend a lot of my free time bringing these builds for you to use and benefit from.

FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED PLEASE.
    THANKS.

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Ok, just tried the AQB9 Bootloader with your first and second permissive boot.img, but didn't worked. Stucked at first boot logo with the yellow writing in the upper left corner like before. Do you maybe have a AQBB, AQC1 or AQD6 permissive boot.img?

Edit:
    Just to be sure that the error lies in your kernel source, I downgraded the firmware to AQB9. Ended up with the same errors for both permissive boot images like before.
    Looks like the kernel source is fubarred. It's not the first time Sammy source code has been unbootable and it always Qualcomm source code.
    Samsung have just contacted me with confirmation of an updated source code release, so hopefully this one boots
    Try reading the OP instead of posting pointless questions. Ciao.

You have far more patience than I do when it comes to dealing with some of these posters:rolleyes: How people can so quickly lose sight of the fact that you are donating your time to help us with a device that you don't even own is beyond me :confused:
    Thanks again for everything that you do - we really do appreciate it! :good:
    UPDATE: SM-T820 and SM-T825 fixed builds up.
    SuperSU compatibility fixed.
    Data mount works!!! I think we(you) have a winner! Camera works, rotate works,an supersu works,and flashes in twrp as it should. Great job, curious as to what the issue was.
    The issue, as I suspected, the kernel version was mismatched to the base firmware on the device.

This is why it was important to get supersu working correctly, so the stock boot.img on the device could be patched rather than providing pre-patched boot images. That would have turned into a real nightmare to provide for every device.

Anyway this is all fixed now on the latest posted TWRP and Chainfire is also implementing a fix to SuperSU.
    Chainfire has also implemented my Encryption fix into SuperSU.

You've been a great help in all this, to me and Chainfire. Hope your wife understands ;)

Chainfire has another request you may be able to help with in the Beta SuperSU thread.