• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[RECOVERY][ROOT]TWRP 3.2.3-1 Galaxy Tab S4 - T830/T835

Search This thread

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Hi, I'm new here.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 (SM T835), I did the OEM unlock process, follow the walkthroughs and still.

I can't put TWRP on my device to root, and get on with the fun of magisk.

I would like to ask for help if possible because I am suffering here.

I did her step by step about 15 times I tried everything and would like a better explanation so I can perform the processing ..

Odin's Logs:
<ID: 0/005> Added !!
<ID: 0/005> Removed !!
<ID: 0/004> Added !!
<ID: 0/004> Odin engine v (ID: 3.1303) ..
<ID: 0/004> File analysis ..
<ID: 0/004> Total Binary Size: 30 M
<ID: 0/004> SetupConnection ..
<ID: 0/004> Initialzation ..
<ID: 0/004> Get PIT for mapping ..
<ID: 0/004> Firmware update start ..
<ID: 0/004> NAND Write Start !!
<ID: 0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID: 0/004> recovery.img
<ID: 0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID: 0/004>
<ID: 0/004> Complete (Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

In the Download Mode settings
FRP LOCK: OFF
OEM LOCK: OFF
RMM STATUS: PRENORMAL
WARRANTY VOIDL 0x0
QUALCOM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
RP SWREV: B2 (1,1,1,1,1) K2 S2
SECURE DOWNLOAD: ENABLE
DID: 205EE466B1DC

Please help me when I flash the file by Odin he shows a message saying following thing.

Message in red:
Only Official released binaries are allowed to be flashed

I ask that please help me !!
I'm rooting on my s4 SM T835 tablet
You are RMM locked. I suggest searching the forum for RMM lock.

Reactions: joacastropro

ChoiMinsoo

Sep 15, 2019
No longer needed, I noticed that I had Pie instead of Oreo, which caused this issue, I'm assuming. I followed @Mentalmuso 's guide which was successful https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79378123&postcount=142

I've followed this and I can't seem to get it to work.

I'm using the latest version of Odin and I flashed the "twrp_3.2.3-1_t830_26918" into ap (unchecked AutoBoot) and hit start.
After that, I press Power+Volume down to reboot the device, then I press Power+Volume Up to launch into TWRP (Set Warranty Bit: Recovery), after that, I allow modifications in Read Only and installs "TabS4_oreo_forced_encryption_disabler", I proceed to format the data and the device reboots.
When it reboots, I'm stuck at "Set Warranty Bit: Kernel" along with the Samsung / Knox logo and it won't go further than that.

Overview / TL;DR :
Flashes Twrp in Odin
Launches TWRP, Allows modifications
Installs Forced encryption disabler
Formats Data
Stuck at bootscreen

Did I do something wrong? I've restored my firmware several time due to retrying the guide.

Device: Galaxy Tab S4 10.5" (Wi-Fi) SM-T830, NEE

Last edited:

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
If anyone has time tonight, I would gladly, happily pay someone to answer a few (likely dumb) questions about installing TWRP and rooting my S4. I've had it a month now and havent even used it because I'm stuck on getting TWRP on it an rooting it. I'm paranoid that it is going to update behind my back. I even bought a second one the 256/6GB Korean model.

I also want to ask about which International Note 9 to get that I can root. But that is separate.

From what I can tell now the process is really simple, but I'm not confident I have the proper backup files to fix it if something goes wrong and I don't know where to go to get the Korean version. At least I have a full new backup device that I have not turned on, if it is needed.

I'll post again with the procedure I've worked out so far with my questions below. I just wanted to get myself moving and post this to keep myself honest. I'm going to have to try something soon, I don't have time to wait much longer.

mr.natural

Feb 6, 2012
If anyone has time tonight, I would gladly, happily pay someone to answer a few (likely dumb) questions about installing TWRP and rooting my S4. I've had it a month now and havent even used it because I'm stuck on getting TWRP on it an rooting it. I'm paranoid that it is going to update behind my back. I even bought a second one the 256/6GB Korean model.

try the new TWRP in this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s4/development/recovery-twrp-3-3-0-sm-t83x-t3928278

Reactions: minionhunter

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013

Thank you!!! I can't say that enough.

I will read the Pie thread. However...

I'm hoping to stay on Oreo with mine. I actually have two. One is 2018-09-27 and the other is 2019-03-?? so I need to figure out if the the 2019 factory one has the same firmware and bootloader first. I've heard that PIE breaks things on this tablet and want to avoid it.

Currently I'm on page 48 and compiling everything into a detailed procedure I will post. I have had a lot of interruptions so my personal life is making this frustrating.

I also don't understand Magisk so I fear I will have to read through that before doing this also. I'm happy to do it, but a guide that is not me starting the first page of the thread that stated in 2016 would be much appreciated.

When I was rooting things in 2014 it was really simple, at least it seemed to me, but now it seems, for me, that since I fell off the SOTA my reentry learning curve is very steep.

If anyone can point me to a good "how to install magisk" thread or guide for the S4 with details I would appreciate it.

Again, thank you very much. I'll post my procedure as soon as I finish it. I hope tonight (Saturday)

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
OK, I've read through the entire thread three times and the Modesty kernel thread twice, taken extensive notes, and feel like I'm ready to try this. I'll post my procedure tonight but I think I might be able to contribute to the project due to my unique situation.

I have two S4 tablets both Korean 6GB models, one has the original firmware and the other has the last Oreo updated firmware. Neither have seen an online connection. I was wondering if me doing the procedure in a specific way, and maybe keeping them offline until after it is finished could help isolate how RMM works in relation to connecting to the internet or something else.

My plan is to root the updated tablet first, tonight and see how that goes.

My only questions now are when I flash the encryption disabler and flash the RMM bypass, do I need to reboot after each and before Magisk? If the answer is yes reboot, I assume that it is to recovery instead of the main system.

If you want me to try anything else or a different order, please let me know and I will do it.

Thank you very much for your help and especially to ashyx and ian for their hard work and making sure these tools are available for the S4.

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
OK - I rooted the tab S4 last Wednesday and it went very well. The biggest key was using the volume up button to get into recovery mode. Everything seemed fine but I needed to stop for a week and couldn't use it.

I went away and didn't do anything with it since and I want to start using it now, but the stock email and stock internet are missing somehow, I can't find them on the device. All I did was to use the OP to install TWRP and root it. Is this common to lose these apps? I followed the procedure exactly. Since i prefer to use dolphin and rely on the stock email I really need these apps. I might be missing more, but I just can't tell. Did I screw up something during setup?

There isn't any pen up app, calculator or other things. Maybe I didn't authorize something at setup? There is no google bloat either like no play music or anything.

Would wiping the device and doing the setup again restore it maybe?

I can post exactly what I did in excruciating detail if needed.

Thank you very much for any suggestions you can offer me.

Last edited:

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
I went away and didn't do anything with it since and I want to start using it now, but the stock email and stock internet are missing somehow, I can't find them on the device. All I did was to use the OP to install TWRP and root it. Is this common to lose these apps? I followed the procedure exactly. Since i prefer to use dolphin and rely on the stock email I really need these apps. I might be missing more, but I just can't tell. Did I screw up something during setup?

There isn't any pen up app, calculator or other things. Maybe I didn't authorize something at setup? There is no google bloat either like no play music or anything.
If you didn't enable Wi-Fi during setup, these apps didn't get downloaded. You can probably get them from the Galaxy Store. (or Play Store? But not sure)

In the worst case, get the apk files from APK Mirror and install them manually.

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
If you didn't enable Wi-Fi during setup, these apps didn't get downloaded. You can probably get them from the Galaxy Store. (or Play Store? But not sure)

Thank you. I didn't enable wifi. I'll try downloading them manually, it was just freaky they weren't there. I have another tab s4 that has not been rooted (also never connected to wifi) but I think it has the apps. I'll check tonight. See what is different between the two.

I did try formatting the device just now in TWRP and resetting it, but it didn't change anything.

I'll post again tonight on what happened and what was different.

Thank you very much for your suggestions and help. Sincerely.

Last edited:

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013

OK I checked my other tab S4 and it has all of the apps that this one was missing. A bunch of Google and Samsung apps. Since that one also never saw the internet, it's not a download from the net issue. I don't know what happened.

I'm grateful Ghisy, I didn't know about apk mirror so I went there and installed the ones I wanted and just left the others off the device.

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
OK I checked my other tab S4 and it has all of the apps that this one was missing. A bunch of Google and Samsung apps. Since that one also never saw the internet, it's not a download from the net issue. I don't know what happened.

I'm grateful Ghisy, I didn't know about apk mirror so I went there and installed the ones I wanted and just left the others off the device.
That's odd because there should be one step in the setup process that asks for Internet access then offers you to download Samsung apps.

Oh well, at least you got to install them manually! ?

miri.123

Oct 23, 2019
Hello to everyone! I need help from you guys.

I own an Samsung Galaxy Tab S4, SM-T830 Adroid 9.0, OEM Unlock. I buy it especially to play smoothly Clash of Clans on it. Before on Oreo i install Game Tuner to play my game in full texture, and it's work great. Since i upgrade to PIE, Clash of Clans run in poor quality, Game Tuner is disappeared from my tablet and even from Galaxy Store and Play Store. I downloaded from google, but after install it, give me an error to Game Optimizing Service. I googled again to downgrade my Tab S4 to Oreo but is not possible. Binary on my Tablet on Pie is 4 and binary on Oreo is 2. Odin couldn't do that.

Questions!

1. Can anyone of you, tell me, how to install TWRP on my Galaxy Tab S4 on PIE, and link me the exactly drivers please!

2. If i install TWRP, can i install Android 8.1 Oreo on it using TWRP Recovery?

Please guys, i googled from two months for an video tutorial or written tutorial “how to install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 PIE Update“, but nothing concrete.

Anyone help me, please!

Last edited:

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
Hello to everyone! I need help from you guys.

I own an Samsung Galaxy Tab S4, SM-T830 Adroid 9.0, OEM Unlock. I buy it especially to play smoothly Clash of Clans on it. Before on Oreo i install Game Tuner to play my game in full texture, and it's work great. Since i upgrade to PIE, Clash of Clans run in poor quality, Game Tuner is disappeared from my tablet and even from Galaxy Store and Play Store. I downloaded from google, but after install it, give me an error to Game Optimizing Service. I googled again to downgrade my Tab S4 to Oreo but is not possible. Binary on my Tablet on Pie is 4 and binary on Oreo is 2. Odin couldn't do that.

Questions!

1. Can anyone of you, tell me, how to install TWRP on my Galaxy Tab S4 on PIE, and link me the exactly drivers please!

2. If i install TWRP, can i install Android 8.1 Oreo on it using TWRP Recovery?

Please guys, i googled from two months for an video tutorial or written tutorial “how to install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 PIE Update“, but nothing concrete.

Anyone help me, please!

Go to the TWRP pie thread in this forum. I posted the link a few posts before this one for someone who had a similar question.

diehard2013

Feb 15, 2013
Update to all this.

After following the above and waiting the 7 days..I did get the OEM unlock back. This was good advice.

It came back it was unlocked so I actually locked (7 days) then reunlocked (7 days again) just to make sure.

I still cant flash TWRP again though. No matter what I try I get:

"Only Official released binaries are allowed to be flashed" and it fails.

Which to me means its not really unlocked after all. It does state OEM Lock : OFF in the bootloader though.

Anyone see this or can offer any suggestions? Most of the things I see online about it talk about relocking and then unlocking again.

Since I already did that and it takes 14 days, id rather not go that way again if anyone else has any suggestions.

Thanks!

I couldn't find in this thread any reference to the following run time properties:

Code:
# getprop | grep oem

ro.oem_unlock_supported: 1
sys.oem_unlock_allowed: 1
Would it help?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
I constantly get this:
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> Total Binary size: 28 M
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> Total Binary size: 22 M
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..

Android 9.0
Wifi+LTE version
Bootloader and USB debugging: ON

Last edited:

toystory

Jun 12, 2007
Thanks for the instructions
Successful install TWRP and Magisk, but once reboot cannot find Magisk manager, reinstall Magisk in TWRP , still cannot find Magisk after reboot. Is there any step I was missing or do wrong?

Thanks for reply in advance

wicked352020

May 17, 2020
Help Galaxy tab s4 stuck after TWRP

PLease help i turned of oem lock and enabled debugging I installed TWRP for my galaxy s4 830 and yes it was the right file, i rebooted holding power and volume up and im stuck on this sccreen
at top itsays set warranty bit recovery in middle says samsung galaxy tab s4 on bottom says custom powred by android
TAB-S4.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

nvm fixed it by holding volume up and down in at same time on reboot

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

PLease help i turned of oem lock and enabled debugging I installed TWRP for my galaxy s4 830 and yes it was the right file, i rebooted holding power and volume up and im stuck on this sccreen
at top itsays set warranty bit recovery in middle says samsung galaxy tab s4 on bottom says custom powred by android
TAB-S4.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

nvm fixed it by holding volume up and down in at same time on reboot

WEll i installed twrp again and it does same thing wont load to the twrp screen

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unofficial release -TWRP recovery for the Galaxy Tab S4 2018 - SM-T830/T835 MSM8998

teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

TWRP 3.2.3-0 Released
    Aug 6, 2018
    TWRP 3.2.3-0 is out now for most currently supported devices.
    What's new in 3.2.3-0:
    * Fix automatic installing of OTA zips on encrypted devices
    * Remove SuperSU from TWRP
    * Support both md5 and md5sum file extensions when doing MD5 checking for zip files
    Want to get notifications when we release new versions of TWRP? Install the TWRP app and select your device!
    We need your help! The bulk of TWRP work is done by a handful of people on a volunteer basis. We have pushed most of our device files to our github and we have a gerrit instance. If you have the ability, please help us maintain our official devices and/or add your device to our official device list. Thanks in advance!
    You can track the progress of builds here

Update 21/9/2018
    Beta build released.
    Current status - Beta (tested working)
    Treble supported
    Pretty much everything is working except for ADB and MTP at the moment.

You flash this at your own risk. Please ensure you have the stock ROM to hand downloaded from SAMMOBILE in case of problems. This will trip the knox counter.

NOTE: ON ANDROID 5.1.1> DEVICES IT IS NECESSARY TO GO TO:
    Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM unlocking
    AND ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

*****INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:*****

Flash with ODIN in the AP slot.

1. Put your device in DOWNLOAD mode.
    (Hold POWER + VOL DOWN + VOL UP) ]

2. Run ODIN and uncheck Auto reboot.

3. Load the file below into the AP slot and hit start.
    twrp_3.2.3-1_t830_26918

4. After flashing and ODIN reports PASS immediately force reboot to recovery. Do NOT let the device boot to the OS.
    You should now see TWRP recovery.

NOTE: FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE STEPS ABOVE IMPLICITLY WILL RESULT IN STOCK RECOVERY REPLACING TWRP AT FIRST BOOT.

*****OREO ROOT INSTRUCTIONS:*****

Note: A MicroSD card is required to install the files below to your device.

1. Flash the Forced encryption disabler patch. This is only required if you wish to have full functionality in TWRP.
    Flashing this will disable Samsung's forced encryption. Disabling encryption will allow TWRP to mount the data partition.
    After flashing the patch it is necessary to *FORMAT* (not wipe) the /DATA partition using the FORMAT DATA button under the wipe options.
    PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING ON INTERNAL STORAGE AND FACTORY RESET THE DEVICE, SO BACK UP ANYTHING YOU WISH TO KEEP.
    TabS4_oreo_forced_encryption_disabler

2. To root I suggest installing Magisk as this is a currently supported project, SuperSu is no longer getting active development.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

3. Enjoy your rooted device.

DEVICE TREE: https://github.com/ashyx/TWRP_Samsung_GTS4LWIFI

PLEASE DO *NOT* DIRECT LINK TO THESE FILES. PLEASE LINK TO THIS POST

Credits: Me, Teamwin, @ianmacd. Huge thanks to Ian for his full support and testing, helping patch the kernel and providing everything needed to get this done.

Please note I don't own this device and spend a lot of my free time bringing these builds for you to use and benefit from.

FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED PLEASE.
    THANKS.

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

I don't expect this to even boot as I have been forced to use the stock kernel and even if it does there is likely to be problems mounting partitions or accessing certain parts of the file system.
    This is due to Samsung's current kernel source being totally borked causing many compiler errors I have not yet managed to fix.

Let me be the first to say thank you for this, @ashyx.

I don't have time to flash it until later in the day, but you mention having to use the stock kernel, so I wanted to point you at my repo of Samsung's kernel source for firmware revision ARGH. Samsung hasn't released the source of a more recent version yet.

I built this before I even had the device (before it had even been released in Europe, in fact), so it's also untested, but I did fix all of the compile errors before committing it. You can either clone this repo, or just cherry-pick the commit that fixes all of the compile errors (e1af7e420d4d1eb0a3302d65bb1b6e8e54f7f36b). The defconfig is as released by Samsung, so probably needs a number of config options turned off before it will produce a kernel that will even boot as an unofficial build.

Thanks once again for all of your hard work (often on devices you don't even own).
    Let me be the first to say thank you for this, @ashyx.

I don't have time to flash it until later in the day, but you mention having to use the stock kernel, so I wanted to point you at my repo of Samsung's kernel source for firmware revision ARGH. Samsung hasn't released the source of a more recent version yet.

I built this before I even had the device (before it had even been released in Europe, in fact), so it's also untested, but I did fix all of the compile errors before committing it. You can either clone this repo, or just cherry-pick the commit that fixes all of the compile errors (e1af7e420d4d1eb0a3302d65bb1b6e8e54f7f36b). The defconfig is as released by Samsung, so probably needs a number of config options turned off before it will produce a kernel that will even boot as an unofficial build.

Thanks once again for all of your hard work (often on devices you don't even own).
    Ah good stuff.
    Yep most of them were include and tracepoint errors. Had pretty much fixed most of them by the looks of it, but got fed up after a while and got stuck at multiple tracepoint defines errors.

Honestly sometimes Samsung just release any old rubbish source code just to comply with the GPL.
    No way is this the actual source code used in the stock kernel.

Many thanks for the link to the kernel source. I'll ensure you get some credit for the commits.
    Honestly sometimes Samsung just release any old rubbish source code just to comply with the GPL.
    No way is this the actual source code used in the stock kernel.

Yes, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we're never able to produce a bootable custom kernel for this device, as with the Tab S3. Once we have TWRP up and running, however, I shall certainly give it my best shot.
    Sorry, I was rushing out the door and keen to answer you before I left. As soon as I was outside, I remembered what you had written about expecting file-system access to be impaired.

Sent from my SM-G965F using XDA Labs
    Ok have recompiled TWRP with the patched kernel and created a patched boot to disable dm-verity and a flashable zip to disable forced encryption.

twrp_3.2.3-1_t830_test_r2

To disable forced encryption, mount internal storage(DATA) and disable dm-verity:

1. Install the patched boot below. This can be installed with ODIN or extract the boot.img and flash with TWRP:

T830XXU1ARH8_dmverity_patched_boot

2. Boot to TWRP

3. Install the Forced encryption patch: TabS4_oreo_forced_encryption_disabler

4. Format DATA using the *FORMAT DATA button* under the wipe options.
    (NOTE - THIS WILL WIPE ALL INTERNAL STORAGE!)

5. Reboot and check DATA is mountable

Done.