Search This thread

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Unofficial release -TWRP recovery for the Galaxy J4 plus 2018 - SM-J415 MSM8917

teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

TWRP 3.3.1-0 Released
May 22, 2019
TWRP 3.3.1-0 is out now for most currently supported devices.
What's new in 3.3.1-0:
* Fix selinux issues during formatting - dianlujitao
* Various fixes for toybox and toolbox builds - CaptainThrowback and bigbiff
* Flash both A and B partitions when installing a recovery ramdisk - Dees_Troy
* Add option to uninstall TWRP app from /system - Dees_Troy
* Create digest for subpartitions - bigbiff
Want to get notifications when we release new versions of TWRP? Install the TWRP app and select your device!
We need your help! The bulk of TWRP work is done by a handful of people on a volunteer basis. We have pushed most of our device files to our github and we have a gerrit instance. If you have the ability, please help us maintain our official devices and/or add your device to our official device list. Thanks in advance!

Update - 17/8/2019
TWRP 3.3.1-1 OO/PP build released
Current status - Beta
Treble supported
Bugs: brightness slider

You flash this at your own risk. Please ensure you have the stock ROM to hand downloaded from SAMMOBILE in case of problems. This will trip the knox counter.

NOTE: ON ANDROID 5.1.1> DEVICES IT IS NECESSARY TO GO TO:
Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM unlocking
AND ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

*****INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:*****

Flash with ODIN in the AP slot.

1. Put your device in DOWNLOAD mode.
(Plug in the USB cable and then hold POWER + VOL DOWN + VOL UP)

2. Load the respective file below into the AP slot, uncheck Auto-reboot(not required for twrp_3.3.1-1) and hit start.

twrp_3.2.3-1_sm-j415f_30319

twrp_3.3.1-1_j415x_17819

3. After flashing and ODIN reports PASS immediately force reboot to recovery. (Not required for twrp_3.3.1-1 as it should auto reboot to recovery). You should now see TWRP recovery.
Do NOT let the device boot to the OS.

4. Flash the V3 RMM bypass zip
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79745844&postcount=627

NOTE: FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE STEPS ABOVE IMPLICITLY WILL RESULT IN STOCK RECOVERY REPLACING TWRP AT FIRST BOOT AND BECOMING RMM LOCKED FOR 7 DAYS.

I ALSO SUGGEST BACKING UP ANYTHING YOU NEED ON INTERNAL STORAGE. AT SOME POINT YOU MAY EXPERIENCE A 'VERIFICATION FAILED MESSAGE' .
THIS IS NORMAL, BUT WILL REQUIRE THE DATA PARTITION TO BE FORMATTED IN TWRP.

5. Reboot to TWRP (Do not boot to the OS yet)

***** ROOT INSTRUCTIONS:*****

OREO ONLY

1. Flash the Forced encryption disabler patch. This is only required if you wish to have full functionality in TWRP.
Flashing this will disable Samsung's forced encryption. Disabling encryption will allow TWRP to mount the data partition.
After flashing the patch it is necessary to *FORMAT* (not wipe) the /DATA partition using the FORMAT DATA button under the wipe options.
PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING ON INTERNAL STORAGE AND FACTORY RESET THE DEVICE, SO BACK UP ANYTHING YOU WISH TO KEEP.
J4+J6+_oreo_forced_encryption_disabler

2. To root I suggest installing the latest Magisk beta as this is a currently supported project, SuperSu is no longer getting active development.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

(NOTE: The DEFEX patched Oreo kernel below may be needed for full root support if certain apps do not work with root):
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397921797

3. Enjoy your rooted device.

PIE ONLY

1. Due to some new securities in Samsung's latest Pie kernels, root will not work with the stock kernel. The patched kernel below is required to gain root on Pie.

Features:
Dmverity, proca, five and defex disabled.
OTG and NTFS file system support.
Selinux permissive switchable.

This kernel may require the U4 bootloader.
(NOTE: flashing a custom kernel on PIe breaks the lockscreen. Ensure NO lockscreen is enabled before installing the kernel.)

J415FXXU4BSF7_patched_boot_318919

2. To root I suggest installing the latest Magisk beta as this is a currently supported project, SuperSu is no longer getting active development.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

3. If you wish to have access to internal storage /DATA in TWRP then encryption will need to be disabled. See step 1 of the Oreo root instructions then instead of installing the J4+J6+_oreo_forced_encryption_disabler install the zip below with TWRP:
Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_Quota_08.02.2019

3. Reboot.
The device will take a good 10 mins to boot first time.
Enjoy your rooted device.

DEVICE TREE: soon

PLEASE DO *NOT* DIRECT LINK TO THESE FILES. PLEASE LINK TO THIS POST

Credits: Me, my tester @kapmino269 [MENTION=6037748]Zackptg5 for the DM-VERITY & FORCEENCRYPT DISABLER @teamwin, @corsicanu for RMM V3 bypass zip.

Please note I don't own this device and spend a lot of my free time bringing these builds for you to use and benefit from.

FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED PLEASE.
THANKS.

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Last edited:

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Thank you very much for building twrp but there are bugs :
1- After I make steps all is done I power off it but when I open it isnot boot & i see a message All the words I understood that "you flash unauthornized boot.img & recovery img and return the phone to the company to fix the phone" and phone didnot boot I recognize that when I open internet in phone samsung detect the change in phone so i solved it by:
:good: I repeat the steps but after i connect to internet , i activate magisk and close wifi and download afwall on my sdcard from appkpure by pc and install the app an enable firewall and solved but there message that rules not apply but in fact it is applied and all is done . SOLVED
2-When I close phone and recharge it, it isnot recharged but it continue rebooting not to system but just recharge windows and poweroff and agian to recharge window And so on .
I coulding solve but I sure the error is in boot.img or in another . NOT SOLVED
Sorry for my english.................
Thanks for all the info, but does TWRP actually boot?

Reactions: hacker812c

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Twrp is very very good and backup and restore and mount are good but there are bugs in system not in recovery addition the last:
3- the percentage of battery when charging,it isnot change . NOT SOLVED
What is the reason ?
Percentage doesn't change in twrp or when power off?

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
SORRY MR ashyx there isn't bugs in system my charger was cut and it is the reason of rebooting to recovery. But bugs in recovery brightness control and backup encryption.
And your build is good ask twrp.me to make it official.
You will need to Format (not wipe) /data to remove encryption and mount the data partition. Samsung encryption isn't supported yet by TWRP.

Brightness isn't a deal breaker, but I'll look into it.

Could you do me a favour and post the recovery.log so I can check it over?

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
To prevent Samsung apps detect the change on the boot.img and recovery.img and so on and I told you at first that after flashing and activate magisk I set wifi on and when I power off the device and open it ,I couldn't open phone on any mode ,there is message apear to me told if I boot to system it said as I remember and I understand that "there is boot.img flash to phone by unauthorized way please return device to company or someone you buy the device from him to fix the phone " and replacing when reboot recovery boot.img by recovery. img and as I remember the screen was blue and the text was written in black and red. so I flash sammobile stock with Odin and repeat your twrp installing steps and activate magisk and close wifi and put afwall 2.9.9 (above versions didn't work ) and the error didn't appear again .
I don't think that you need AFwall. When you see that message boot to TWRP and format your device, install Magisk and the Oreo encryption disabler.
This should prevent this message appearing again.
Also disable securitylogagent apk.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
sorry I see another error in restore in TWRP .
all partitions restored but when I finish restore twrp said unable to mount /system and I couldn't reboot system
Have you tried backing up only system again then immediately restoring?
Also which media are you restoring from?
Also need the recovery log after failure.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
A1 :No , I will try backup system and system image only.
A2 :I restore from usb otg .
A3 :It success in restore efs boot vendor and others but system not mount and tried to return system again .
££i flash sammobile rom and install magisk as you tell and restore all phone partitions Except system and system image ££ The phone open again.
###I will try restore system again and i will sent you recovery.log BUT WHICH MEDIA I SHOULD USE USB OTG OR SDCARD ###
I am sorry for disturb.
Can you try backing up just system, not system image to internal storage then try restore?

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
ok, I will try .
I would ask you about something else but sending you private message unanable I need to ask you but i couldnot because the question is about something else twrp for j415f how to send the issue to you
If it's related to this device then just post it. I don't accept pm's.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
A-Restoring system only and other partition is done and succeed and faster from internal storage but if i copy it to pc or sdcard Is all files will copied or not or Error will apper after copy (restoring again).
Thanks for your help .
1- it is related to j415f some apps like busybox and linux deploy and afwall(new version) grant root access but didnot run.
2- #
Another problem :
no,it isnot .it related to wlan monitor mode for gt-i9500 (internal (bcm4335 ) or external (TL-WN22N) ) , I tried linux deploy kali hunter nexmon others ,and please reply if you could help me or reach me to someone help me .
#
please reply me quickly about (2) to delete it
SORRY I havenot any way to reach you except this .
1. Isn't really related to twrp but magisk itself. Better posting in the magisk thread.

2. Unfortunately can't help you with this as I don't mess around too much with that kind of stuff.

ProfessorRekt

Mar 5, 2018
I wouldnt dare to do anything on this before everything is 100% clear and failproof. This phone behaves like its about to collapse every second idk why but it feels like that

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Thank you very much for your help and your interest .
Please ,Can you fix restoring system from usb otg ? and all files you need from me i will send you it ,
you must make your twrp ideal and make it official in #twrp.me# like Alberto86(recognise developer) : make gt-i9500 twrp and ge officialty .
surendrajat(member ) : Make SM-J737S twrp it is in #twrpbuilder.github.io#
I think you should publish the recovery in this sites at the nearest time. I think also you should make video on youtube to make your project spread out faster ,because there are people donot know xda ,I tried to make video but my presentation was very bad so i delete it from youtube .
And Sorry for distrubt
I don't think there is anything to fix regarding the restorating of a backup from OTG.
It's just simply a case of some media is not suitable for backup and restore.
I've even seen reports of certain MicroSD cards causing issues with TWRP.

It's likely that if you try a different USB stick you won't have any issues.

As regarding making it official. I will consider it. However I have many, many builds of TWRP for a lot of other devices that are not official either.
This is due to the fact I do not like the convoluted system of getting it made official.
I have discussed this previously with teamwin and asked for a proper submissions page to no avail.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Ok as you like but you can improve twrp .
I mean :
1 -Could you compress encryption disable and
rmm bybass and recovery in twrp.tar file to flash it by odin in one step wihout following install steps that you write , Steps may be difficult with others , With me I try serval times to success and i know some skills about android but others may donot know .
2 - Why your twrp depend on magisk install
,if magisk doesnot install phone doesnot reboot system , I think twrp should not be depend on root & If some one need twrp and doesnot need root.
3 - Busy box i cannot install it in my phone why ,?
No I cannot make an all in one to flash in ODIN.
Firstly because its not possible. Odin cannot run scripts, only recovery can.
Secondly if people cannot follow instructions then maybe they shouldn't be attempting to modify their device.

TWRP doesn't depend on Magisk, your device does.
Samsung incorporate many security hurdles to prevent hacking and modification.
These security blocks need to be patched or the device will not boot.

These blocks can be patched manually, however Magisk can patch most of these during the root process.

I have no idea why you cannot install busybox on your device as you have not provided any info of the issue.
In any case busybox is included with Magisk. To use it install the busybox module by osm0sis.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
I see what your saying, however I will keep things as they are. I'd prefer people to have an understanding of what they are installing and I believe it's simple enough.

Unfortunately I can't help with the busybox issue. However as I stated you can use the busy module provided by osm0sis.
He keeps everything up to date and is highly recommended.

Last edited:

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
I face issue :
I test j4+ snd s4 security in lookscreen :
1- In j4+ : if I delete /data/system/locksetting.db or all contain locksetting name in twrp buy terminal or file manager or script.
2 -add delete *.key on s4 .
Is there solution from system or twrp to prevent lock screen crack or it hash stolen to crack not tell me (chattr).
Thank you
If I'm reading it correctly you want a way of preventing the lockscreen credentials from being deleted.
The only way is to remove TWRP Tbh so no one had access to the file system.
Also this isn't really a twrp related issue and a little off topic.

However I have been looking at possible ways to password TWRP thus preventing access at all.
But even that could be circumvented by simply flashing another version of TWRP.

The only safe way is to remove twrp, unroot your device and disable OEM unlock.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
1 - I donot have any ways to reach you and you is the developer of twrp for j4+ and Know all about it and you donot accept pm , I could make
thread and you answer me in it but this issue in twrp so all is well .
2 - I want twrp and root ,Is there any solve ,I have idea may success sent me it may be sucess or not
it is
1- make data partition not mount or read only on twrp .
2- when I need to install something I will mount it by writing command in system terminal only (that command or script or program doesnot be found in twrp ) to be mounted in recovery mode .
3- I mean that data not mount in twrp without enable mounting in system and twrp doesnot have permission to mount data without system access .
but how this will acheive without you man .
another idea the same but replace mounting by read only
If you don't want data to be mounted in twrp then why not just leave it encrypted. Then only you have access to it via the OS?
Failing that just remove the mount entry for /data from the fstab.
This way data will only be available and mountable by using terminal commands.

The other way is to only install twrp when you need it.
For example you could use a script which you could run to flash twrp when booted to the OS each time you need it or if you prefer use something like flashify.
When you are done with twrp, simply use the restore option to restore the stock recovery.
This way only you have access to /data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unofficial release -TWRP recovery for the Galaxy J4 plus 2018 - SM-J415 MSM8917

teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

TWRP 3.3.1-0 Released
    May 22, 2019
    TWRP 3.3.1-0 is out now for most currently supported devices.
    What's new in 3.3.1-0:
    * Fix selinux issues during formatting - dianlujitao
    * Various fixes for toybox and toolbox builds - CaptainThrowback and bigbiff
    * Flash both A and B partitions when installing a recovery ramdisk - Dees_Troy
    * Add option to uninstall TWRP app from /system - Dees_Troy
    * Create digest for subpartitions - bigbiff
    Want to get notifications when we release new versions of TWRP? Install the TWRP app and select your device!
    We need your help! The bulk of TWRP work is done by a handful of people on a volunteer basis. We have pushed most of our device files to our github and we have a gerrit instance. If you have the ability, please help us maintain our official devices and/or add your device to our official device list. Thanks in advance!

Update - 17/8/2019
    TWRP 3.3.1-1 OO/PP build released
    Current status - Beta
    Treble supported
    Bugs: brightness slider

You flash this at your own risk. Please ensure you have the stock ROM to hand downloaded from SAMMOBILE in case of problems. This will trip the knox counter.

NOTE: ON ANDROID 5.1.1> DEVICES IT IS NECESSARY TO GO TO:
    Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM unlocking
    AND ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

*****INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:*****

Flash with ODIN in the AP slot.

1. Put your device in DOWNLOAD mode.
    (Plug in the USB cable and then hold POWER + VOL DOWN + VOL UP)

2. Load the respective file below into the AP slot, uncheck Auto-reboot(not required for twrp_3.3.1-1) and hit start.

twrp_3.2.3-1_sm-j415f_30319

twrp_3.3.1-1_j415x_17819

3. After flashing and ODIN reports PASS immediately force reboot to recovery. (Not required for twrp_3.3.1-1 as it should auto reboot to recovery). You should now see TWRP recovery.
    Do NOT let the device boot to the OS.

4. Flash the V3 RMM bypass zip
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79745844&postcount=627

NOTE: FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE STEPS ABOVE IMPLICITLY WILL RESULT IN STOCK RECOVERY REPLACING TWRP AT FIRST BOOT AND BECOMING RMM LOCKED FOR 7 DAYS.

I ALSO SUGGEST BACKING UP ANYTHING YOU NEED ON INTERNAL STORAGE. AT SOME POINT YOU MAY EXPERIENCE A 'VERIFICATION FAILED MESSAGE' .
    THIS IS NORMAL, BUT WILL REQUIRE THE DATA PARTITION TO BE FORMATTED IN TWRP.

5. Reboot to TWRP (Do not boot to the OS yet)

***** ROOT INSTRUCTIONS:*****

OREO ONLY

1. Flash the Forced encryption disabler patch. This is only required if you wish to have full functionality in TWRP.
    Flashing this will disable Samsung's forced encryption. Disabling encryption will allow TWRP to mount the data partition.
    After flashing the patch it is necessary to *FORMAT* (not wipe) the /DATA partition using the FORMAT DATA button under the wipe options.
    PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING ON INTERNAL STORAGE AND FACTORY RESET THE DEVICE, SO BACK UP ANYTHING YOU WISH TO KEEP.
    J4+J6+_oreo_forced_encryption_disabler

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

(NOTE: The DEFEX patched Oreo kernel below may be needed for full root support if certain apps do not work with root):
    https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397921797

3. Enjoy your rooted device.

PIE ONLY

1. Due to some new securities in Samsung's latest Pie kernels, root will not work with the stock kernel. The patched kernel below is required to gain root on Pie.

Features:
    Dmverity, proca, five and defex disabled.
    OTG and NTFS file system support.
    Selinux permissive switchable.

This kernel may require the U4 bootloader.
    (NOTE: flashing a custom kernel on PIe breaks the lockscreen. Ensure NO lockscreen is enabled before installing the kernel.)

J415FXXU4BSF7_patched_boot_318919

https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

3. If you wish to have access to internal storage /DATA in TWRP then encryption will need to be disabled. See step 1 of the Oreo root instructions then instead of installing the J4+J6+_oreo_forced_encryption_disabler install the zip below with TWRP:
    Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_Quota_08.02.2019

3. Reboot.
    The device will take a good 10 mins to boot first time.
    Enjoy your rooted device.

DEVICE TREE: soon

PLEASE DO *NOT* DIRECT LINK TO THESE FILES. PLEASE LINK TO THIS POST

Credits: Me, my tester @kapmino269 [MENTION=6037748]Zackptg5 for the DM-VERITY & FORCEENCRYPT DISABLER @teamwin, @corsicanu for RMM V3 bypass zip.

Please note I don't own this device and spend a lot of my free time bringing these builds for you to use and benefit from.

FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED PLEASE.
    THANKS.

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

1- No ,i restored vendor by mistake .
    2- I didn't alowed anything to data but using stock make this but custom roms no .
    3-ok
    4-??????????????
    This worked .

Can I use it parmenately ?
    Or
    It is for test .
    If you restored stock vendor then you wiped the encryption patch and re-encrypted the data partition.

If it works as it should then I'll release it as an update.
    help! @ashyx

I have a super detail; A user is helping me to create a rom custm, but the detail is that it does not start the rom, so I decided to make a logcat from adb with the following instructions:
    -active debug usb
    -connect my j4 + to the pc
    -open window cmd- adb
    -wrote adb logcat and started reading the device
    -Ctrl + C to stop
    - again I wrote in adb, but now adb logcat> log.txt and I generate a logcat
    - I went to /data/misc/adb and extracted the adb_keys

then I went to TWRP and made wipe a data, system and cache, dalvin, the wipes that you always do to install a ROM

-Install the Custom ROM, after installing, do not start the phone. you go back to the main TWRP menu and I went to where Advanced says You go to where File Manager says, using the File Manager, I went to navergar where I saved the adb_keys and I entered it in /data/misc/adb after this restart the computer and connect to the pc, and I set out to generate the logcat, things that do not just say: "Waiting for the device" and nothing, generates the log. txt, but in 0kb :confused::crying:

My question is: what am I doing wrong, could you help me @ashyx? first of all, Thanks. :fingers-crossed:
    OK several things:

Why are you saving the adb keys? This is not necessary.

Second you cannot retrieve a logcat via recovery. It would be pointless. A logcat needs to come from a booting system or at least a system that boots far enough to produce an output. Booting to the splash screen at least.

Your options in TWRP are:

Save the recovery log after the install of the ROM.

Run dmesg or save the last_kmsg and look for errors.

As for adb functionality in TWRP, as far as I know this works.

First disable MTP in TWRP then run:

adb devices

You should get an output with the serial number of your device.
    Blocked modify boot.img .

I saw when I flash security called Kg : prenormal @ashyx I think it is the cause of all of these .
    As far as I'm aware KG is the same as RMM. Vaultkeeper is disabled by the RMM patch.
    The RMM patch must be installed at first boot to TWRP *BEFORE* booting to the OS.

Latest Magisk must also be flashed at the same time.
    The procedure should be something like:

1. OEM_UNLOCK enabled.
    2. Flash TWRP and immediately boot into recovery( DO NOT BOOT TO THE OS)
    3. FORMAT DATA
    4. Install the RMM patch
    5. Install MAGISK.
    6. Reboot.
    Well I'm assuming that you have enabled oem unlock and have the files downloaded on *EXTERNAL SD CARD*.
    -put your phone into download mode by pressing the vol up and down button together and plugging in the USB
    -your phone is now in download mode put the twrp.tar in AP slot of odin and untick auto reboot and click start
    -it will show passed then press vol down and power button for 7 sec to reboot immediately after screen goes dark press vol up and power button to enter twrp
    - in twrp slide the allow modifications slider and after entering you will see data 0 mb and it will say error mounting data don't worry just go and *FORMAT* DATA and then flash the rmm state bypass.zip
    -click *reboot recovery* and then in twrp flash J6+ encryption disabler.zip and again after flashing *FORMAT* data and reboot recovery
    - now you need to just flash magisk and click reboot
    Now after you reboot it'll seem like the phone's in bootloop and won't boot into os let it boot for 1 minute then again press vol down and power button for sometime and reboot it this time it'll boot
    -enjoy your rooted with magisk device
    Hit thanks if this helped.